Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pointless is the best entertainment show out there

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Skid X wrote: »
    Richard will be a guest on '8 out 10 Cats does Countdown' on Friday on Channel 4 at 9pm

<slightly-off-topic>

8 out of 10 Cats is doing Countdown again?!? :eek:

</slightly-off-topic>

Re: Politics - one of the best ones I saw was when a young couple went with that as their category in the final, and were asked to name female members of Tony Blair's first cabinet. I wouldn't have had a clue, but the guy was doing a Politics Masters and was involved in local government, so really knew his stuff. He came up with three. The first answer was wrong. BOTH his other answers were Pointless.

It has happened before, though, that all three answers given in the final have been Pointless.

Remember the tennis buff who single-handedly won £14,750? The question was "Grand Slam winners of the 1990s". ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

<slightly-off-topic>

</slightly-off-topic>
    They're doing a whole series of it I think.

Today's Pointless was great. Words ending in -rage made me laugh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

^^ -rage

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Believe it or not but I got Arbitrage, i guess great minds like Xander and myself think alike :pac:

Believe it or not but I got Arbitrage, i guess great minds like Xander and myself think alike :pac:

My husband got vicarage. Can't believe the vicar didn't think of that one! He also got a pointless answer in the final. Thought that was a difficult round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

<slightly-off-topic>

</slightly-off-topic>

Yes, they seem to be milking it a little bit.

In other Richard Osman news (I'm not obsessed with him, honestly :o) he was on the Radio 4 Panel Show 'The Unbelievable Truth' this week.

You can hear how he got on here http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01rvnxc/The_Unbelievable_Truth_Series_11_Episode_2/

Link expires on Monday Evening.

Yes, they seem to be milking it a little bit.

In other Richard Osman news (I'm not obsessed with him, honestly :o) he was on the Radio 4 Panel Show 'The Unbelievable Truth' this week.

You can hear how he got on here http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01rvnxc/The_Unbelievable_Truth_Series_11_Episode_2/

Link expires on Monday Evening.

I think it's safe to assume that most of us here are at the very least a little obsessed with the legend that is Richard Thomas Osman.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Shakespeare vs the PE teachers :)

Another classic episode, what were the odds that there'd be so many PE teachers. When your wan said she was a PA it was priceless!

I also may have gotten John Russell as a pointless answer, in my defense he was an answer to a very similar question in the head to head last week. Even Richard wanted Football :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

John Russell was one of mine too :) Actually surprised it was pointless though. There were several low scorers but not pointless that I'd never even heard of.

• Advertisement

Loved Alan's response when Cliff said Brunei. I don't think he had much confidence in him after yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I've just come to the 'strange' answer in the latest episode. I don't know if I can't continue. How could he make that mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I was struggling to think of any words ending in rage and the fact he was first up he probably just paniced, felt sorry for him really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

siblers wrote: »
    I was struggling to think of any words ending in rage and the fact he was first up he probably just paniced, felt sorry for him really.

Think Richard did too. He didn't take the piss. Felt a bit sorry for him too, I always struggle with words ending in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

He's a big lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

quickbeam wrote: »
    John Russell was one of mine too :) Actually surprised it was pointless though. There were several low scorers but not pointless that I'd never even heard of.

Same here, we came up with a lot of what we thought were decent answers (mostly due to 19thC prime ministers having been a question recently!) but none were Pointless. Not even the Earl of Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've had 2 pointless answers in a week (QA Panelists and Ryder Cup Golfers). On a roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I was struggling to think of any words ending in -rage and the fact he was first up he probably just panicked, felt sorry for him really.

What about a few weeks ago when Xander thought he was oh-so-clever for coming up with "befriend" for "Words ending in -ind"? Richard had a field day! :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

If anyone wants to be a Pointless Contestant, Endemol are taking applications now. All the details are here ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/beonashow/pointless_2013
    Can you name a musical composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber? Can you name a footballer with more than 100 Premier League goals? Can you name a type of lettuce, or an obscure variety of potato? If so, you could be in with a chance of winning big money.

Four pairs of contestants will be pitted against each other as their general knowledge skills are put to the test. Could you trust your friend, your dad, your girlfriend or your work colleague under pressure? We'd like to hear from pairs of people who think they can take up the challenge.

Pointless is produced for the BBC by Endemol UK.

Auditions will take place in Belfast, among other places.

Go on, you know you want to!

Edit: As 'Dozen Wicked Words' says in the next post, you need a Britain or Northern Ireland address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

If anyone wants to be a Pointless Contestant, Endemol are taking applications now. All the details are here ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/beonashow/pointless_2013

Auditions will take place in Belfast, among other places.

Go on, you know you want to!

I think you are supposed to be UK resident though, so nab a friend/family members address for application.

• Advertisement

That was probably my best final question ever: I had
    Central African Republic, Chad, Djibouti, Democratic republic of Congo and The Former Yugoslavic Republic of Macedonia
    to name a few :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Best final round ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭brian_t

Alexander usually asks how they will spend their winnings after the first guess has beeen scored.

When he switches and asks them before any guess is scored you know that the first guess is going to be pointless.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Best final round ever!!

Yep,
    Great to see Xander trying to persuade them to go for the Central African Republic. I forgive them both for their pronunciation of Bodhrán!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

Yep,
    Great to see Xander trying to persuade them to go for the Central African Republic. I forgive them both for their pronunciation of Bodhrán!

Me too but it took me some time. How hard can it be to get it a bit better than any of the efforts we heard.

Anyone watch today's show? One lad didn't know what a consonant was.
    Would have nailed the final question with Angola and Mozanbique

It was dreadful. I nearly felt sorry for him when he had to ask what it was but it was just too stupid.

Didn't like the pair in the final. I did a lot of shouting at them over their arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Anyone watch today's show? One lad didn't know what a consonant was.
    Would have nailed the final question with Angola and Mozanbique

I got Congo. Kazakstan and Venezuela 1 pointers.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

It was dreadful. I nearly felt sorry for him when he had to ask what it was but it was just too stupid.

Didn't like the pair in the final. I did a lot of shouting at them over their arrogance.

Boy was I glad they didn't win. I felt genuinely sorry for the poor guy who had to ask what a consonant was. I'm sure he will never live it down now that it has been broadcast.

• Advertisement

Canada was an awfully poor answer, silly of them to dismiss Mozanbique, surely go for Mozanbique and risk being wrong than go for one of the most obvious answers. Hopefully the jackpot will build up a bit, final round is always better when there's a nice jackpot to play for.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement