Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WRC 2013 & ERC 2013- News & Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Robbo wrote: »
    Proper job. It goes to show that with proper perseverence, the situation may turn around in your favour. Meeke and Sordo have long had intertwined careers and now it seems that there's a lot more faith from those that call the shots (Matton and al-Qassimi) in Meeke.

Ogier, I believe, can have the championship wrapped up with the right result in Germany. I regret deeply not putting money on him at 5/1 before the season started. On the other hand, I also didn't put money each way on Hirvonen...

Great chance for Meeke again, lets hope we see him full time next year.
    I would not be surprised to see Kris get the remainder of the gravel rounds with Dani doing the Tarmac ones.

I can't wait for Ogier v's Loeb in France. It will be epic :D I can see Ogier edging it.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

A quick question: Are WRC cars automatics or manual gears?

A quick question: Are WRC cars automatics or manual gears?

They are manual but allow clutchless shifting. They have a clutch, but it's only really used to move off from a standing start. The box itself is sequential with a leaver to the side of the wheel to change gear.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Rally Germany starts today. A good result seals the title for Ogier but I have a feeling that Neuville may well take the win given his confidence from Finland and this being the first real tarmac event of the year.

Novikov went off 5km into the first stage. I think his chance of keeping his seat has begun to look very unlikely.

Ogier is fastest after SS2, Latvala +5.7. Neuville +12.7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

h3000 wrote: »
    Novikov went off 5km into the first stage. I think his chance of keeping his seat has begun to look very unlikely.

Tell that to his chequebook!

guyfo wrote: »
    Tell that to his chequebook!

That's true alright. Too much if it is going to repairs rather than the team development though.

Btw I really like Novikov and he has the speed to win rallies he just needs to dial it back sometimes and stop binning it.

:eek::eek: Looks like Ogier is out of the rally today. Dropped over 2mins in SS3 after going into a vineyard and causing suspension damage. He made it through part of SS4 but now seems to be stopped on the stage.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

There's a right good ding-dong at the top between Latvala and my tip Neuville.

Also, in WRC2 there's a good battle between Evans and Kubica.

Bad luck for Keith Cronin dropping 35s early doors with no brakes and a puncture. Currently sitting in 3rd in WRC3 1m05s from the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭kksaints

Latvala out on s12. Neuville now 2nd after some trouble. Sordo in the lead. Can he win his 1st WRC rally?

• Advertisement

Sordo does win his 1st rally. Neuville was 2nd. Hirvonen was 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

kksaints wrote: »
    Sordo does win his 1st rally. Neuville was 2nd. Hirvonen was 3rd.

Think its too little to late for this guy, one win in 107 starts is woeful, doubt he gonna be around next yr

liam7831 wrote: »
    Think its too little to late for this guy, one win in 107 starts is woeful, doubt he gonna be around next yr

I cant see him getting a full-time drive myself either. Maybe a tarmac rally deal but thats it.

Gutted for Nueville.

There seems to have been a nasty accident involving some spectators. Hopefully everyone will be okay.

Gutted for Nueville.

There seems to have been a nasty accident involving some spectators. Hopefully everyone will be okay.

Did this accident happen today or is this the same accident in which the 2 Dutch Drivers were killed?

kksaints wrote: »
    Did this accident happen today or is this the same accident in which the 2 Dutch Drivers were killed?

Today in Germany. One of the WRC2 crews (Aska) went off the road. Apparently it looks like the spectators were standing in a forbibben area.

Today in Germany. One of the WRC2 crews (Aska) went off the road. Apparently it looks like the spectators were standing in a forbibben area.

Hope noones badly injured or killed.

With Paul Nagle off to co-drive for Andreas Mikkelsen for rally Australia, Craig Breen has recruited Lara Vanneste to take Paul's seat for Rally Poland ERC. She has previously co-driven for Bouffier, Loix & Abbring so plenty of experience. Best of luck to them lets hope for a good result.

Best of luck to Paul and Andreas too, it's a great opportunity for Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Looks like Ogier will be crowned champion tomorrow. Meeke crashed out today. The car rolled 5 or 6 times down a hill.

recyclebin wrote: »
    Looks like Ogier will be crowned champion tomorrow. Meeke crashed out today. The car rolled 5 or 6 times down a hill.

It's a shame for Meeke. He was doing really well. Lets hope it hasn't pissed Citroen off too much. He really needed to bring it home this weekend.

Breen not having his best rally in Poland either. Found it very hard to get into a good rhythm in the early stages then had a puncture on SS7 and lost about 1 minute.

• Advertisement

6 years ago today we lost the great Colin McRae. R.I.P Colin

Ogier will have to wait until France to take the WRC crown he needs just one more point. Neuville finished second and second in the power stage after Hirvonnen got a puncture on the last stage.

Meeke also lost a wheel in the final stage and had to retire. Gutted for him, a really bad weekend. I really hope Citroen will give him another chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

At least Ogier now has the chance to win the championship on home soil.

WRC Rallye de France is about to kick off. It's a battle of the Sebastiens on home soil. Should be a great rally.

Ogier could be world champion by the time the first stage is finished. With the first stage being the power stage if Neuville will need to take the stage win and full points otherwise it Ogier's.

WRC Rallye de France is about to kick off. It's a battle of the Sebastiens on home soil. Should be a great rally.

Ogier could be world champion by the time the first stage is finished. With the first stage being the power stage if Neuville will need to take the stage win and full points otherwise it Ogier's.

And he done it. Ogier is champion :)

5/1 you would have got on Ogier at the start of the year. You'll never get a price that good on him again.

Citroen/Peugeot have pushed back the release of the DS3/208 R5 until March which sounds like minds have been made up about rallying. Apparently a number of the staff who were on the project have moved to the WTCC effort so I'd imagine the days of a works run Citroen team(s) are limited. I'd say the best that can be hoped for is that eventually some deal is done with PH Sport or Kronos to run the DS3s until they expire, with some limited support from Citroen.

Looks like Robbie Barrable has gone off on SS3. He is having really bad luck at the moment.

Kubica has a full WRC Citroen for Rally GB, which apparently doesn't rule out Meeke being in contention for next year. Rumours that Kubica is in talks with M-Sport for a full WRC campaign next year.

The Hyundai situation will make the driver market interesting. Neuville apparently called in on them recently but he's also talking to everyone else and I'd imagine is wanted by everyone. I could see them taking on Atkinson as well for marketing reasons. Breen has allegedly talked to them as well.

Of course the size of Ford and Citroens efforts is entirely in the hands of Qatar and Abu Dhabi. For the sake of the Championship, I'd like to see Neuville stay at Ford and kick on for some wins next year and Citroen to sort out *anyone* who can live with Ogier's pace.

Circuit of Ireland back for 2014 and a round of the ERC. WooHoo :)

• Advertisement

http://www.wrc.com/news/neuville-signs-with-hyundai-for-2014/?fid=19344

Neuville has been confirmed as lead driver of Hyundai Motorsport's World Rally Championship programme from 2014.

I reckon it's a good move for him. He really needs a factory drive.
    WRC.com wrote:
    Belgium's Thierry Neuville has been confirmed as lead driver of Hyundai Motorsport's World Rally Championship programme from 2014.

The 25-year-old has signed a multi-year agreement, which the Korean manufacturer says represents a serious commitment by both parties to build towards long-term success in the WRC.

A string of six consecutive podiums, including four second place finishes, has made Neuville the hottest property in the end-of-season transfer market. As reported on wrc.com on 25 October, Neuville was also offered a full programme in a Ford Fiesta RS by his current M-Sport squad.

Hyundai Motorsport Team Principal, Michel Nandan said: “Thierry is having a fantastic 2013 season and is proving himself to be one of the most exciting young drivers in WRC. His raw speed, driving skill and dynamic approach to rallying make him the ideal lead driver for Hyundai.”

“By signing a driver of Thierry’s talent, we can show that Hyundai’s WRC engagement is serious and focussed on long-term success."

"It is also great recognition for the work that the entire team has carried out in such a short time. We both share similar values and objectives to win the championship in the long-term so we are proud to have Thierry in the team and as an ambassador for the Hyundai Motorsport brand,” he added.

Neuville, along with his co-driver Nicolas Gilsoul, will pilot Hyundai’s new i20 world rally car in all 13 WRC events in 2014, beginning with the team’s debut at the Monte-Carlo Rally in January. It will be the Belgian driver’s third consecutive WRC season.

Neuville believes that the new deal with Hyundai is ‘the perfect fit’ for him. “It is a young, emerging and ambitious manufacturer team with long-term objectives for championship success and I have long held aspirations of driving for a manufacturer team,” he explained.

“I was impressed with the team’s facility, their approach to the rally programme and their clear potential. I hope my two years of experience in WRC will be beneficial to the team as we build a harmonious working partnership. We know we have a steep learning curve ahead of us in our first season but I am convinced we will have a successful future together.”

Advertisement