Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WRC 2013 & ERC 2013- News & Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

as long as we get to see monte ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Breen to drive a Pug 207 on the next ERC rally next month in Latvia

Only 8 S2000 cars in the entry and after Sweden last year Breen could very easily go for the top step.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

This is another official channel of WRC, there are only short clips on it so far but better than nothing. It's in English too.

http://www.laola1.tv/en/int/world-rally-championship/video/2-2978-.html

EDIT:
    WRC are actually updating their Youtube channel with videos :O

http://www.youtube.com/user/wrc?feature=watch

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Top Dog

15min clip of Day 1 Highlights taken from Speed channel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpcweqS-wmE

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Good news for Craig Breen.

8 Rounds of the ERC in a S2000 Peugeot 207 and developing the new 208 R5.

• Advertisement

Robbo wrote: »

Excellent news

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Robbo wrote: »

Nice Job, would he have to bring a budget of his own or is it a fully funded , paying drive?

bbsrs wrote: »
    Nice Job, would he have to bring a budget of his own or is it a fully funded , paying drive?

I'd imagine he may bring some sponsorship but it is a full factory drive, I've no idea wether its paid or not. They intend to keep him next year too. He will be the lead driver in the Puegeot academy and will also be the lead driver to develop the 208 R5. They could really help develop his skills. We might even have a future world champion at the top level.

Quote from Peugeot Sport Director Bruno Famin via iRally
    http://www.irallylive.com/ir_news.htm?00002847&10
    "He will be our key driver for 2013...the idea with Craig will be to have him for a couple of years and after the 8 [ERC] races in 2013 with the 207, hopefully we shall be able to catch the title in 2014 with the R5 and a good team, and Craig fighting for the Drivers' Championship.."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Its amazing news. So much so that it has restored my faith in motorsport a little bit. Im so sick of many things within the WRC at the moment (paid drives, trying to learn to rally on the world stage, thats what national level rallying is for etc)

Finally, a driver is taken on board by a factory team, not because of his nationality, or by the size of his wallet, but by his speed and determination. We havnt seen this in years in the sport.

To become a factory driver in a french team, ahead of french drivers and not be french is huge. The only people to have done that in the last 15 years have all been world champions at some stage, with the exception of Sordo, who without Loeb may have been world champion.

Absolutely delighted for Breen

I think it will be very hard to look past Ogier (if the car holds together) for this years title. JML is still going off a bit too often I think it will be a few more rallies before he sorts it all out (there is a title in him yet though). Hirvonnen really seems to have lost his confidence in the car, I'd really like to see him do well. Even though its a bit of a silly comment (no offence Wobbles), if Loeb was not around he would have a title or two to his name. Sordo could be a strong contender but I think he is missing a few rallies.

As for the rest they just don't have the speed or experience yet.

• Advertisement

wobbles wrote: »
    Its amazing news. So much so that it has restored my faith in motorsport a little bit. Im so sick of many things within the WRC at the moment (paid drives, trying to learn to rally on the world stage, thats what national level rallying is for etc)

Finally, a driver is taken on board by a factory team, not because of his nationality, or by the size of his wallet, but by his speed and determination. We havnt seen this in years in the sport.

To become a factory driver in a french team, ahead of french drivers and not be french is huge. The only people to have done that in the last 15 years have all been world champions at some stage, with the exception of Sordo, who without Loeb may have been world champion.

It really is a huge achievement lets hope he does well.
    wobbles wrote: »

Don't forget Mikko

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Results and Points from Monte-Carlo

1. Sebastien Loeb 25
    2. Sebastien Ogier 18
    3. Dani Sordo 15
    4. Mikko Hirvonen 12
    5. Bryan Bouffier 10
    6. Mads Ostberg 8
    7. Martin Prokop 6
    8. Sepp Wiegand 4
    9. Olivier Burri 2
    10. Michal Kosciuszko 1

What we can take from round 1:
    Loeb would win the championship if he did a few more rallies other than the 4 rallies he has already commited to.
    The VW is fast and the work Ogier did last year will give him a chance of contending for the championship.
    Sordo is not just good on tarmac. I'm surprised he bet Hirvonen here.
    Latvala is never going to win anything if he can't finish more regularly.
    Novikov and Ostberg will challenge for race wins.

Ah jaysus - did Latvala stick it in yet another ditch? :rolleyes:

Top Dog wrote: »
    Ah jaysus - did Latvala stick it in yet another ditch? :rolleyes:

No he hit a wall this time.:o

recyclebin wrote: »

More than once too apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ORACLE2

This is what it looks like ,it was a big nasty off thats for sure
    http://youtu.be/8cz0GpUPWUg

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kartincolin

To all despairing at the lack of TV coverage for the WRC on Irish TV, these 2 youtube channels may be your salvation:

Bestofrallylive (Michelin`s channel with great clips)
    WRCforeva (Uploads the SPEED coverage of the events)

ORACLE2 wrote: »
    This is what it looks like ,it was a big nasty off thats for sure
    http://youtu.be/8cz0GpUPWUg
    Looked a pretty nasty impact alright.

To all despairing at the lack of TV coverage for the WRC on Irish TV, these 2 youtube channels may be your salvation:

Bestofrallylive (Michelin`s channel with great clips)
    WRCforeva (Uploads the SPEED coverage of the events)

There is also the option of watching it in HD in German on ServusTV on satellite. You will need your dish pointed at a different satellite to sky though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Latavla seems to be getting a lot of stick over the Monte exit, but I think its unwarranted myself. that's the same spot Neuivlle went out too AFAIK. Monte is a difficult beast different to any other rally on the calendar. It has caught out the best in the past and will do so again.

The one thing I really don't get is the VW bosses getting in a dig post event saying that if he crashes as many times as he has done in the past his seat will be in jeopardy. That'll help things after one event! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I hear what your saying homer. I would be a fan of Latvala but he crashes way too much. He has the speed to beat anyone on his day but he won't win a championship as he doesn't finish enough rallies.

Latavla seems to be getting a lot of stick over the Monte exit, but I think its unwarranted myself. that's the same spot Neuivlle went out too AFAIK. Monte is a difficult beast different to any other rally on the calendar. It has caught out the best in the past and will do so again.

The one thing I really don't get is the VW bosses getting in a dig post event saying that if he crashes as many times as he has done in the past his seat will be in jeopardy. That'll help things after one event! :rolleyes:

Like recyclebin I'm a big Latvala fan. He has a huge amount of talent and speed. I do think he will pull it all together and be world champion in the next few years. He actually reminds me a lot of McRae.

As you said Monte is a very tough rally and catches out the best but he is a very experienced driver and it was a really big mistake in going off the road on his first outing with a new team. One he should not have had made.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kartincolin

I am as big a fan of Jari-Matti as the next guy, and I have massive respect for his raw speed, as he has shown in the past that on his day he is capable of ruffling Loeb`s feathers. However, it has gotten to the stage where there is an air of inevitability about the fact that Latvala will crash.

I think the amount of criticism he has received in the aftermath is unjustified. In my opinion, the real story should be that the Qatar M-Sport driver that managed to finish the rally was Mads Ostberg. Although, I thought both Novikov and Hanninen were impressive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Just watched the 4 days of highlights taken from speed. The conditions on the last day were insane. Last 2 stages were cancelled. Loeb made it look easy. Felt sorry for the 3 that crashed out on the same stage. All the drivers said there was no grip.

Setanta Ireland has been added to the list of TV broadcasters for WRC. I've no idea how much they will show or anything. I don't have Setanta myself. Does anyone have any idea how much the subscription costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

h3000 wrote: »
    Setanta Ireland has been added to the list of TV broadcasters for WRC. I've no idea how much they will show or anything. I don't have Setanta myself. Does anyone have any idea how much the subscription costs.
    €8.99 for the first two months with a €9.99 connection fees and €16.99 a month after that I think.

I have it for GAA and NASCAR amongst other things.

dcr22B wrote: »
    €8.99 for the first two months with a €9.99 connection fees and €16.99 a month after that I think.

I have it for GAA and NASCAR amongst other things.
    :eek::eek::eek:
    Well I won't be getting that anyway. Lets hope Dave, Eurosport or someone like that gets it.

h3000 wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:
    Well I won't be getting that anyway. Lets hope Dave, Eurosport or someone like that gets it.

Setanta isn't available in UK anymore so the UK rights should still be up for grabs unless S4C got exclusive rights. I hope Eurosport gets them on a multiyear deal as they have the two HD channels now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Setanta isn't available in UK anymore so the UK rights should still be up for grabs unless S4C got exclusive rights. I hope Eurosport gets them on a multiyear deal as they have the two HD channels now.
    Eurosport have a nasty habit of bouncing things around the schedule to mollify the tennis and snooker gods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

AFAIK there was both eurosport and motors TV confirmed that they will be showing no WRC coverage this year, and that SC4 had got the right but only for half the season, from May one.

Setanta can clear off with their €16 per month, that;s robbery. The quality and selection of programming they show is nowhere near deserving of that price tag if you ask me.

Advertisement