Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers who lunch even more!! **MOD WARNING OPENING POST**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

bluewolf wrote: »
    Is it "captain picard"
    God no.

My OH is a botanist, he's obsessed with plants. So he decided to try to find a plant/flower name he could give Pancake. Very easy for girls, not so much for boys. He found a plant that we both like, and we turned the genus part of the Latin name into a boy's name. Galanthe, from Galanthus nivalis, which is the snowdrop. The snowdrop is my favourite flower, Pancake was born in February, which is also when the snowdrop comes out. Voila. It's a bit out there, but it is only his 3rd name, so really no one will ever see it, except on his birth cert or ID card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Ilyana wrote: »
    There were Crystals, Faiths and Angels in my primary school.

I know I've said this before, but it's worth repeating. My sister used to work for one of the consultants in Our Lady's Hospital. One of his cases were triplets whose parents had named them Faith, Faithful and Faithfulness. I sh*t you not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Girl I know called her kid Summer.

I just don't think that's really a name. It's a season. You'd never hear a kid called Spring or Winter would ya?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Ah okay, sorry if I picked you up wrong! I don't understand that mentality either, but so many girls have it. Get a job straight after school, marry teenage boyfriend, have kids. Stay in the same town you were born and raised in. I know that makes plenty of people happy but I'd feel like I'd missed out on so much if I did that.

Fair play to your friend though, college and babies are tough by themselves, never mind simultaneously!

I probably phrased it wrong. My bad!

I always remember being in TY and one girl announcing that she couldn't wait to have a 'babby' so she could go and get a free house. I'm just surprised she waited til after graduating to actually do it!
    We managed to set a record in my school by having no pregnancies til the first day of the leaving cert. The years before and after us had pregnancies before the Junior Cert!

I always wonder if teachers place bets on that kind of thing!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

God no.

My OH is a botanist, he's obsessed with plants. So he decided to try to find a plant/flower name he could give Pancake. Very easy for girls, not so much for boys. He found a plant that we both like, and we turned the genus part of the Latin name into a boy's name. Galanthe, from Galanthus nivalis, which is the snowdrop. The snowdrop is my favourite flower, Pancake was born in February, which is also when the snowdrop comes out. Voila. It's a bit out there, but it is only his 3rd name, so really no one will ever see it, except on his birth cert or ID card.
    That's awesome! I love it!

I just don't think that's really a name. It's a season. You'd never hear a kid called Spring or Winter would ya?
    I duno, since "girl" is an actual name (colleen), you can't go worse than that...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I work with a girl called Spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I know I've said this before, but it's worth repeating. My sister used to work for one of the consultants in Our Lady's Hospital. One of his cases were triplets whose parents had named them Faith, Faithful and Faithfulness. I sh*t you not.

Jaysus. I lose a little more faith in humanity everyday,.
    I probably phrased it wrong. My bad!

I always remember being in TY and one girl announcing that she couldn't wait to have a 'babby' so she could go and get a free house. I'm just surprised she waited til after graduating to actually do it!
    We managed to set a record in my school by having no pregnancies til the first day of the leaving cert. The years before and after us had pregnancies before the Junior Cert!

I always wonder if teachers place bets on that kind of thing!

We were the same actually, the previous year had like five babies, but nobody in our year had one until after the leaving cert. There were a few miscarriages and abortions though, allegedly.
    I heard of one girl in college saying she couldn't wait to become a teacher so she could have loads of kids and get paid for it...

God no.

That is a gorgeous name!
    Jaysus. I lose a little more faith in humanity everyday,.

We were the same actually, the previous year had like five babies, but nobody in our year had one until after the leaving cert. There were a few miscarriages and abortions though, allegedly.
    I heard of one girl in college saying she couldn't wait to become a teacher so she could have loads of kids and get paid for it...

If you include all the alleged pregancies we didn't even finish first year before babies came along!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Hah my confirmation name is the most normal of all my names!

Don't think I think that! I know that they can go on to college but these girls that I'm talking about are only interested in having babies and not going to college! Their aim in life was to have kids. I just don't understand it!

I'm not that much of a snob! :)
    One of my friends just had a baby and she's already planning how she'll get back to college. I have huge respect for girls like her.

I know several people whose aim in life is to have babies. I really don't see anything wrong with it! Some people don't want a degree, or a career. They just want to settle down and have a family. I don't think there's anything wrong with not wanting to go to college. I don't have a degree. I have many qualifications but no degree.
    God no.

That is awesome. I love it. So much thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Still don't know if I should ring my bf.

Trying not to let it ruin my day though, I'm looking forward to going to the cinema. I don't actually go that often.

Just hate arguing with people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Lucyfur wrote: »
    I know several people whose aim in life is to have babies. I really don't see anything wrong with it! Some people don't want a degree, or a career. They just want to settle down and have a family. I don't think there's anything wrong with not wanting to go to college. I don't have a degree. I have many qualifications but no degree.

My best friend is one of those. I don't think there's anything wrong with it either, life would be boring if we were all the same. I don't get it myself, but I'd say she might not get me and all my exams and things :p

Still don't know if I should ring my bf.

Trying not to let it ruin my day though, I'm looking forward to going to the cinema. I don't actually go that often.

Just hate arguing with people.

I used to be like that with my ex. I'd want to sort out fights there and then, with no time to cool off. We'd make up, then the fight would erupt again sooner or later.

Tbh you probably both need some headspace. Easier said than done though! Maybe text him tonight before the cinema to arrange to talk tomorrow. Might be easier to resolve things then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

When I think of baby names I only ever think of boys names. They are so much nicer than girls names.

I've always liked the name Callum. I remember being in primary school and a boy in a good few classes behind me was called Callum and I thought that was just a lovely name!

bluewolf wrote: »
    My best friend is one of those. I don't think there's anything wrong with it either, life would be boring if we were all the same. I don't get it myself, but I'd say she might not get me and all my exams and things :p

I have lots of friends that are happy out working part time in the local shop so that they can devote time to their kids. I think it's lovely! I've always worked and studied around my son. He's my no 1 :)

I used to be like that with my ex. I'd want to sort out fights there and then, with no time to cool off. We'd make up, then the fight would erupt again sooner or later.

Tbh you probably both need some headspace. Easier said than done though! Maybe text him tonight before the cinema to arrange to talk tomorrow. Might be easier to resolve things then :)

Yeah I suppose. I'm at the cinema all day.. Bit of a Twilight nerd. I'm going to all 4 previous films and then a midnight screening of the final part. I'm presuming I have a break between them, I'll need to eat something more than cinema popcorn as much as I'd love to eat that all day. Might just text him later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Mars Bar wrote: »
    When I think of baby names I only ever think of boys names. They are so much nicer than girls names.

I've always liked the name Callum. I remember being in primary school and a boy in a good few classes behind me was called Callum and I thought that was just a lovely name!

I liked it to. Until Callum Best came along and ruined it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Yeah I suppose. I'm at the cinema all day.. Bit of a Twilight nerd. I'm going to all 4 previous films and then a midnight screening of the final part. I'm presuming I have a break between them. Might just text him later on.

Jeebus Christ, the cinema all day?! I get restless after an hour in the cinema! That must be costing a bit or is it some sort of special deal thing for all the movies, like a special offer for being willing to look at the puss on Kirsten Stewart all day?

Lucyfur wrote: »

That is awesome. I love it. So much thought!

Please don't think that I was trying to offend you (or anyone else)! Maybe I'm too honest sometimes! It's just something I don't understand really. Particularly when I look at the girls I went to school with. Like I said, I am a snob.

And when I said degree I did mean any type of qualifications. I have a lot of respect for you Lucyfur because I have seen how much you do for your son and everything else you do. That I have no problem with!

Yeah I suppose. I'm at the cinema all day.. Bit of a Twilight nerd. I'm going to all 4 previous films and then a midnight screening of the final part. I'm presuming I have a break between them, I'll need to eat something more than cinema popcorn as much as I'd love to eat that all day. Might just text him later on.

The films will distract you anyway, so you won't be dwelling on things later on. You'll both be grand :)

Now if someone could read my stuff for me and put the information into my head while I watch tv and talk rubbish on the internet, that would be lovely.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Girl in my year had one 6 weeks before the Junior Cert... scary to think that she's got a teenage son now and she's only 28!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Jeebus Christ, the cinema all day?! I get restless after an hour in the cinema! That must be costing a bit or is it some sort of special deal thing for all the movies, like a special offer for being willing to look at the puss on Kirsten Stewart all day?

its 15 quid for all 5 movies in the place here, which is a decent deal. I'd have to be sedated to sit through that lol my sarcasm meter would go off the chart with so much to poke fun at. I watched (well was in the same room no my laptop) the first Twilight with my last housemate and his gf (her insistance) and the two of us just ripped it to shreds, had a pain in my face from laughing so much she wasnt a bit impressed lol

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    Yay Limerick 4 lyf

I'll be there too.. Icon :D

Limerick beers! maybe not NYE but def some point over Christmas

I don't like Kristen Stewart either I must admit but I loved the books so I just want to see how this one turns out. It was only €15 for the ticket so I said I may as well because I don't really have anything else to do. There are some extra stuff too, I think there's a goodie bag and stuff. I'm such a child.. :o
    The films will distract you anyway, so you won't be dwelling on things later on. You'll both be grand :)

Now if someone could read my stuff for me and put the information into my head while I watch tv and talk rubbish on the internet, that would be lovely.

Yeah that's true. We both said things we didn't mean and I'm stubborn so that's why I didn't ring him right away when I woke up.. :rolleyes:

What are you reading?

Girl in my year had one 6 weeks before the Junior Cert... scary to think that she's got a teenage son now and she's only 28!

That's mental. I don't intend to be responsible for more than a cat or dog when I'm 28!

PP I'm reading stuff about American history. It's interesting but my concentration span has been atrocious ever since I left college and worked for nine months. Can't read anything for more than ten minutes without getting bored.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

There were Crystals, Faiths and Angels in my primary school.
    I feel so old. Almost everyone in my school was called Claire! There were at least twenty Claire's in my year alone. :eek:

Posy wrote: »
    I feel so old. Almost everyone in my school was called Claire! There were at least twenty Claire's in my year alone. :eek:

There were 8 girls in my year and about 20 boys. lol
    We all had different names :p

Please don't think that I was trying to offend you (or anyone else)! Maybe I'm too honest sometimes! It's just something I don't understand really. Particularly when I look at the girls I went to school with. Like I said, I am a snob.

And when I said degree I did mean any type of qualifications. I have a lot of respect for you Lucyfur because I have seen how much you do for your son and everything else you do. That I have no problem with!

Oh I'm not offended at all! Don't be worrying about that! I just want to point out that career/education isn't everything! To many, many people, a family is all that matters:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I've been to a film festival that ran from 10am to 7pm Saturday and Sunday the same weekend. I loved it! Although my bum didn't, stupid cineworld seats :pac: was sad missing it this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Sitting next to my heavily pregnant friend during Sex Ed class in 6th year was one of the highlights of my year. Lots of babies in my school, at 27 I am very old not to be married with babies, but then I had the nerve to move away, meet a boy that isn't from the same town (gasp) and not want to move back, so clearly I'm not right in the head :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I've been to a film festival that ran from 10am to 7pm Saturday and Sunday the same weekend. I loved it! Although my bum didn't, stupid cineworld seats :pac: was sad missing it this year!

I hadn't thought of that. Probably should go for a walk after every film.. :o

Film Festival sounds a lot cooler than what I'm going to tbh.. :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement