Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 17 League and Cup General Discussion/Woe sharing!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Anybody in managing in DIV III.16?

I know the Dannys were in it last season (a team that has man shamed me twice last season) but think they went down. Seems like one of the tougher of the DIV III leagues.

Any hints or tips would be nice. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

[Jackass] wrote: »

I know the Dannys were in it last season (a team that has man shamed me twice last season) but think they went down. Seems like one of the tougher of the DIV III leagues.

Don't think any of those teams are boardsies (or at least in anyway regular posters)

Can't help you myself as haven't faced any of those teams recently at all.

The usual advise of picking your battles would probably serve you best. Don't be afraid to put out your 2nds at wnwim one week to take the mother of all beatings in a match you wont win anyway if it will give you the energy advantage to take the points the following week against a team better than you but nearer your level.

crisco10 wrote: »
    This is the week to pull those S20 U20 prospects. Love training U20's hears hoping I get a decent one!

There will be some beasts about with the changes in training.

I only got my ya started advertising for ya facilities in week 1, after hearing how good the training was and seeing comments from Jeremy saying he was ok with it, and completed up to lvl 3 in about week 12 and daveharnetts scouting tool is giving me increases of about 10k csr for the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

mar-z wrote: »
    There will be some beasts about with the changes in training.

I only got my ya started advertising for ya facilities in week 1, after hearing how good the training was and seeing comments from Jeremy saying he was ok with it, and completed up to lvl 3 in about week 12 and daveharnetts scouting tool is giving me increases of about 10k csr for the season.

****. Just when i'd given up on the YA.

Might have a rethink.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

ah man hard luck yes thats a hard div but stick at it i didnt focus on the dannys much but i wasnt far from staying up so it is possible.

in the end promotion will be worth it just look at the members increase tomorroe

• Advertisement

corny wrote: »
    ****. Just when i'd given up on the YA.

Might have a rethink.

The only fear is a tweak in the future if you spend the money on the facilities again resulting in a waste of money.

We could easily be seeing loads of 30-40k 17 year olds ibn the next season or so which will have a huge impact on the tm among other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Seems like one of the tougher of the DIV III leagues.

Fortunately, I don't think it is. Some big CSR in some of the teams, but no one too invincible that I can see. Ok, so Mighty Maks are your token big boys who can probably beat you even with an intensity mismatch, but the rest aren't too bad. Compared to some of the other Div III leagues you're actually quite lucky :)

mar-z wrote: »
    The only fear is a tweak in the future if you spend the money on the facilities again resulting in a waste of money.

We could easily be seeing loads of 30-40k 17 year olds ibn the next season or so which will have a huge impact on the tm among other things.

My reservation was and still is, can you justify the initial outlay and upkeep. I'm far from an authority on this but i did some sums last night and it seems like an awful lot to spend for a prospect each season (thats all i can train realistically). I was tracking a newly promoted 38,000CSR player this morning and he only sold for 90 grand. Even a couple of those a season is far less than what it costs for the YA.

See how it pans out in the next few weeks.

My reservation was and still is, can you justify the initial outlay and upkeep. I'm far from an authority on this but i did some sums last night and it seems like an awful lot to spend for a prospect each season (thats all i can train realistically). I was tracking a newly promoted 38,000CSR player this morning and he only sold for 90 grand. Even a couple of those a season is far less than what it costs for the YA.

See, I always think to myself "If I made an amazing YA pull... would I sell him?" and the answer for me is always no. So, I wonder can you ever be top flight if you're only relying on someone else's leftovers?

Now... I don't have a YA at the moment, but in no way do I think I'm a top team :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

I pulled a 37k guy last week, but was left with a conundrum, as I already had 3 in my training program; who had all come out 30k+ csr.

I had to ditch one of them to make room for this guy, who I deem will have better international prospect when I come back to Ireland in a few seasons.

• Advertisement

Financially I agree it doesn't make sense and it will make even less when the market becomes saturated with high end youths. Although it could be that ppl are waiting for the U20 pulls to come available to spend big which could have influenced the sale you were tracking.

But for me probably I really enjoy the training side of things and I honestly get more attached to and invested in players from my youth academy than youngsters brought in. It probably doesn't make financial sense to have level 5's either, although I've never looked into it, but it's part of the game I enjoy.

Will be interesting to see how the transfer market side of things pan out.

Although I do wish I realised that I no longer get a new minor sponsor from this season before tying up funds in both the ya and a stadium expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJims

out of interest, how much does it cost to have the full level 3 facilities and trained at the YA level, for a season?

then how much would it cost you to skip the YA yourself and use the spare money to buy one of the top prospects from a different country? as in a really tall lock or a really heavy prop..

Would it be better for the Irish U20 scene to have a 60/40 split of YA trainers with level 4 facilities and buyers with no YA but lots of cash and level 5 facilities

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    I pulled a 37k guy last week, but was left with a conundrum, as I already had 3 in my training program; who had all come out 30k+ csr.

Can i ask how much you got for him?
    Fewcifur wrote: »
    See, I always think to myself "If I made an amazing YA pull... would I sell him?" and the answer for me is always no. So, I wonder can you ever be top flight if you're only relying on someone else's leftovers?

Now... I don't have a YA at the moment, but in no way do I think I'm a top team :)

I know what you mean fewi. If you pull a 210cm, 30k+csr player chances are selling won't even occur to you but i don't think that leaves the rest of us with scraps. Just check the youth ranks of the top teams who invest, they've nothing special when it comes to untrainables and if CSR can be bought cheaply enough i don't see where they get a big advantage.

The way i look at it is (small squad approach) i have to buy one trainee a season. If i promoted 6 players with 30k+csr, i'd sell 5 of them because 30k or 40k players wouldn't get near the first team, and the crux of it is - would i turn a profit constantly selling? It doesn't look like it.

I do miss bringing the players through though.

i dont think it makes money atm but that is just due to supply and demand i know a nice few getting rid of it including my main team and if enough get rid of them then there wont be many on the market and the price will go up.

im planning on supplying my affiliate as much as possible from the ya and i feel ill prob have great fun doing it

It's nice to check out the aul "raised players" button and see the lads still in action. Unfortunately only one of my guys still plays in Ireland, all the rest have gone foreign.

I've been looking for a 207cm+ 2nd row for weeks now (and only under 20, not even a 17 year old) and I'm getting nada. Can't help but wonder what I might have found if I kept my YA open last season :(

seanand wrote: »
    i dont think it makes money atm but that is just due to supply and demand i know a nice few getting rid of it including my main team and if enough get rid of them then there wont be many on the market and the price will go up.

im planning on supplying my affiliate as much as possible from the ya and i feel ill prob have great fun doing it

Can you trade with your affiliate? I know ye are in different nations, but still... money has no borders in this game.

TheJims wrote: »
    out of interest, how much does it cost to have the full level 3 facilities and trained at the YA level, for a season?

then how much would it cost you to skip the YA yourself and use the spare money to buy one of the top prospects from a different country? as in a really tall lock or a really heavy prop..

Coach: 12,500*16=200,000
    Facilities: 20,000*16=320,000
    Scout: 12,500*16=200,000

Total: =720,000

Thats without the manager and the initial outlay to get to that level (which takes it into the millions).

720,000 would get you one hell of prospect but our starting U20 lock sold for over a million as a 17 year old! If you're after a centre or a wing or you don't care about training for the NT its a lot to make up on the TM.

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Can you trade with your affiliate? I know ye are in different nations, but still... money has no borders in this game.
    no fewi you cant, i mean my affiliate ya will supply my affilate team,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

I've got rid of all my youth academy stuff for this season, everybody has top notch academies on the go so I can easily grab a 17 year old from the tm for half the money the academy costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

In response to Corny, I dropped a 51k csr from my training program to make room for the 37k csr guy and got just shy of 700k for him. Good price considering his stamina was a crapy 5 or 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

If i promoted 6 players with 30k+csr, i'd sell 5 of them because 30k or 40k players wouldn't get near the first team, and the crux of it is - would i turn a profit constantly selling? It doesn't look like it.
    L3 youth academy + youth coach costs 502k per season.
    Training a single senior player with 10 sessions costs about 450k per season.

Now, it looks like L3 YA training is nearly as good as 10 senior sessions - leaving players in until 19 is a real option.

In that context, you can look at it as a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

since we're talking about U20's I decided to go into the offsite for once and have a look!

discovered my trainee has been sidelined completely despite been better than the ones who have stats there or very comparable. the only one with considerably higher csr has higher stamina but mines better in all over stats.

I have another couple of days before i have to respond to another country who've call him up, think I'm going to accept. whats the point of training him for Ireland when they are not in touch and exclude him?:mad:

Sanko has been in touch fair more to enquire on progress, not given him much with planning on releasing him to ireland but now...

This is the thread, and you'll find the stats there. going to update Miron's thread but probably won't now if releasing to Romania.

Whose in charge of the u20's anyway?

/rant!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭satory

I wouldnt be too worried about that thread eoferral for 2 reasons...

1. Your player qualifies in S18, or at least according to his thread he does. The thread you linked to is for S17 props and manager coming into the team needs to deal with players for this coming season. Although it would be unwise to discount future(S18) players...

2. This thread is also only Wonders opinion(whom I believe, if I read my ingame mails right, is not standing for election). A new Under 20 coach is still to come in and put his stamp on things. Bring it up with the new guys..

My only critique is that if wonder composed the thread for the next two seasons, he probably went by whats in Mirons thread, but that has not been updated since July?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJims

yeah it seems like their just assembling a squad for the coming season, and for your guy to slot in as soon as he qualifies.

That's just my reading of it anyways, there's no way their gonna leave a guy out, when hes clearly a better option.. i have been known to be wrong before though?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭cclampett

eoferrall wrote: »
    since we're talking about U20's I decided to go into the offsite for once and have a look!

discovered my trainee has been sidelined completely despite been better than the ones who have stats there or very comparable. the only one with considerably higher csr has higher stamina but mines better in all over stats.

I have another couple of days before i have to respond to another country who've call him up, think I'm going to accept. whats the point of training him for Ireland when they are not in touch and exclude him?:mad:

Sanko has been in touch fair more to enquire on progress, not given him much with planning on releasing him to ireland but now...

This is the thread, and you'll find the stats there. going to update Miron's thread but probably won't now if releasing to Romania.

Whose in charge of the u20's anyway?

/rant!

As he's not eligible for another season, he wouldnt be included there, thats really just a benchmark squad for the new manager to look at for bringing in this season - be sure to get onto the next manager yourself anyway.

couple things that often come up,
    targets: helps if your willing to talk targets, even if you dont want to follow suggested ones, let them know where you're willing to compromise or the skill spread you'd be hoping to get to.
    updates: really helps to keep guys tracking everything updated, if you dont want the skills on display, make sure to be clear about it, but continue to give regular updates on pops by PM if not in the thread, (yeah, the manager can view it themselves, but theres typically 35+ players to track and the priority of time is usually figuring out the next game)

other than that, if you really just want the extra experience, try get a clear answer, % chance of getting called into the squad in S18, as the call up for Romania probably only has a 4 week window now.

Ah yeah lads, I know he's not eligble for another season, but not a word from anyone. I've no idea who the last u20 was, think it changed halfway through or something did it?

I've been following the target set out at the beginning in the thread and only have 10pops left to meet the minimum in each currently. Not sure what his TSP are as I stop counting once hits the minimum.

Just a bit frustrating in 2 seasons no contact? I updated the thread the odd time, but been very busy and away a lot the last few months so haven't even logged in the offsite until the other day and the only discussion I see is about the squad and not even a mention about Miron for next season. Especially as he is not eligible I would have been in contact to ensure he stuck around as available and rejected other call ups.

I'll get onto the new manager - don't recognise any of the names but that's my fault as not involved with the community much these days for various reasons.

to be honest I kind of stood back from the clubrooms and the offsite as it was becoming very petty and frustrating. And then to log in and see not a mention, I realised it was for s17, but I would have mentioned that in s18 moron became available and would slot in if was in the thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Wouldn't have happened in my day ;)

jprender wrote: »
    Wouldn't have happened in my day ;)
    JP are you running again? went back in this morning and say a load of nominations. no speeches, so hard to know who is running!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

eoferrall wrote: »
    to be honest I kind of stood back from the clubrooms and the offsite as it was becoming very petty and frustrating. And then to log in and see not a mention, I realised it was for s17, but I would have mentioned that in s18 moron became available and would slot in if was in the thoughts.

The community is all at peace now, it's actually a pretty good place to be around! Loads of new faces have stepped up to the plate and it no longer is one or two doing all the work. I wouldn't be too concerned about communication and your player, as a foreigner who can't come in until WC season it's probably more up to you to inform the guys of your intention! I can't really speak for what they think but I know if it was me I wouldn't be making promises to managers of NIQ players, if he doesn't make the final team cut you wouldn't be happy. Take Chegg for example, Dave had no guarantees but he took the gamble and it paid off with a WC medal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

How do your players get noticed for U-20 representation?

Does the coach scout them or do you bring the player to the attention of the coach to have a look?

I'm a long way off having a top academy, but it is my long term goal to produce my own players and train them up.

What kind of CSR would a player coming out of a lv3 academy with a lv3 coach all the way through to 19 come out with? And what kind of CSR would be required for U20 representation? (untrainables and correct distribution of his talent aside...)

Advertisement