Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 17 League and Cup General Discussion/Woe sharing!

Options
  • 07-11-2012 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭

So, thought I would start the S17 Thread!

Are we all looking forward to it?

MWSAG had a very succesful S16, will be hard to replicate this year, first season without an additional minor sponsor will cause a dent. However, sale of a few good 17 year olds could help!

Have just invested in stadium increase, takes me beyond the recommended members x 8.5 stadium size. Hope I don't end up crippled by it financially but I was scared of leaving money behind me on my visit to Div 2.

At the risk of sounding old, does anyone feel like the seasons are flying by these days? S16 seemed to be over in a heartbeat!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Seasons definitely seem to be flying, but I reckon next season is going to be lonnnnnng in Div II. Every match a battle for survival!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I think a lot of boardsies may suffer this season, seems like a lot went up, which may well mean a lot fighting for survival.

Regarding stadium increase, is there a danger of having a stadium too big that match day expenses will cripple you, or do you just mean cripple you in terms of the amount of money you've invested?

Personally, I'm putting a lot of money into development of the club and little into purchasing of players. A recipe for disastor in the short-term, but I figure it will pay off big time in the long run.

I reckon I may be one of those clubs that goes under the radar and takes its fare share of batterings for the first few seasons, but then will be equipped for quite a rapid accendancy in the medium to long term.

Difficult to be patient, but it's my strategy now, so I suppose I better stick to it!!

As an aside, seeing as I may have zero hope of staying up this season, how would I get the most out of my season in terms of benefitting my team? Should I just play every game LTNT and try and get maximum in game training (does how you play the game increase / decrease amount of training you get?) or should I target the weaker teams and more or less fold against the better ones by playing WNWIM and just try and cause an upset or two?

Just thinking out loud here, but would be interested on what the master strategists would suggest! :)

Don't look at it with a view to getting thrashed. TNT every match is going to really ruin any chances you had. There was one lad in our league this season who could have avoided relegation, but he TNTed literally every match, so all his players were dead/injured. He didn't have the weakest team in the league, but he just bottomed out.

You only need to beat two teams to avoid the drop. So that's the team that promoted with you and then a few sneaky wins. Bingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

I'd echo what Fewi said, if you play it smart then you have every chance of survival. First thing to do is look at your league and see who are your rivals, I know everyone is but when you are looking to stay up you need to in someway disregard those that are outside of your relegation battle! it's great to get a scalp, but honestly for the energy expended taking that scalp you might just be handing the victory to your rival when you two playoff. Here's my advice, If you need a tnt, them playing wnwim and some luck to win a game it's probably best to rollover.

1st time promoted teams have to try to stay up, that is key in your first season. A drop down the divisions means contentment drops, reduced income and the horrible possibility of being dumped into a Division with those dreaded/annoying sleeping giants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

Defo pick your battles Jackass. WNWIM with your seconds where you have no chance, but LTNT when you have a chance/must win. As Fewcifur says, all you need is to beat the team you come up with twice. So target those two anyway.

There will be a team in Div 3 who look like they have a high CSR squad but for whatever reason (unbalanced squad, inactive manager etc) are very beatable. Maybe target that team at home if you can.

You can do it! :D

• Advertisement

I'll add, take a very close look at the whole league's fixtures, not just your own.

With luck the top 3 teams of your league will be quite close to each other in terms of ability. If they have to use a 1st team TNT against each other and you've a match with one of them the week before, you know for sure that they're going to throw out the young lads at WNWIM.

Div III is probably the most polarized division in terms of ability,team strength and attitudes. Because Div IV will often be new players who had to content with only bots before promotion, you'll often find the newly promoted lads getting dismissed. Same doesn't really happen in the higher Divs because fighting your way out of Div III shows you at least have something about ya. So use that to your advantage. For this one season you're going to be seen as the pushover that most people WNWIM. If the fixtures are right and you manage to stay up, then you're going to have to hope that you improved enough to take on the newly promoted lads and the other guys in your league who are now a bit wary of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭satory

I have to say I was a bit disillusioned with the game coming off Season 15, and so I sat back and did nothing this season, and still managed to sneak 4th spot - although didn't fix my finances so I didn't make any cash throughout the whole of last season :(

But thats 3 top 4 finishes in the last 4 years. I definitely think my team is better than that, and I need to refocus on a more tactical approach to the game(only change my tactics once for the whole of last season and that was for the 3rd place final), as I just had a look at the team that won my league and I should be easily competing with him in my league, and not languishing down in 4th/5th/6th, losing to him by 40 odd points each time.

This season I plan to be a lot more hands on with my teams tactics, and make use of the API to try and find out how to beat teams in my league.

I'm really dying for the season to start, or at least the fixtures to appear so I can start plotting my hari kari

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

im really looking forward to next season as a very strong team put together thanks to a few plebs spending like mad on **** players lol. i had to bring in players to help win my relegation playoff won comfortably 55-5 with 8-10 oldies needing replacing near the middle of the season i could be in trouble again the season after if i cant find cheap replacements as atm have 1 mill but with full level 5s coming in last tues i could eat away at that fast.

all in all going to be a real interesting season.

my affiliate got relegated so have the bare minimum atm but with lvl3 ya i hope i can fill a team from there after next season

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJims

my premium is gona run out tomorrow, and i wa just about to redeem when i remembered i seen his in the "Season 17 + Q&A" section
    One more thing
    We've got some fresh new additions on their way to the BR store. Coming soon!

any idea what these could even be?! i'm probably going to wait to see what they are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

TheJims wrote: »
    my premium is gona run out tomorrow, and i wa just about to redeem when i remembered i seen his in the "Season 17 + Q&A" section

any idea what these could even be?! i'm probably going to wait to see what they are

im thinking there going to seperate stuff like player renames i think wilfuk makes tshirts and is making br related ones for br to sell im interested too to see exactly what there will be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

TheJims wrote: »

Very good point, I'll let J know that the statement in the Q&A leaves a lot open to interpretation and to clarify.

Phonehead wrote: »
    Very good point, I'll let J know that the statement in the Q&A leaves a lot open to interpretation and to clarify.

:eek: your gona raise my point with the main man J.... i dont know what to say! :D

I just realised that halfway through last season I was threatening to quit... dude, I never realised it was going to get so good.

Dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Holy sh*t im in div 1. Really didnt expect to win my qualifier. Still, now that im here gonna try and make the best of it and stay up and perhaps finally put an end to that dastardly cunning ruff mctumbles reign of terror in a few seasons.

And a little hope for everyone else, i got to div 1 (and been a thorn in many a side from div1 in the cup the last few seasons) while still having a few players under 100k CSR in my first team. You dont need a team of monsters to be successful in this game (although it helps).

• Site Banned Posts: 154 ✭✭EEm

When are the fixtures out? Heading into my first full season :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Holy sh*t im in div 1.
    Congrats, that's a great win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Holy sh*t im in div 1. Really didnt expect to win my qualifier. Still, now that im here gonna try and make the best of it and stay up and perhaps finally put an end to that dastardly cunning ruff mctumbles reign of terror in a few seasons.

And a little hope for everyone else, i got to div 1 (and been a thorn in many a side from div1 in the cup the last few seasons) while still having a few players under 100k CSR in my first team. You dont need a team of monsters to be successful in this game (although it helps).

Wow man, good for you, well done!! Best of luck with the season ahead! Boardsies need a permanent representative in Division one, so we're all counting on you....no pressure. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

New leagues are out peeps. Archive you know the drill;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

You dont need a team of monsters to be successful in this game

But it helps when your 13 can run through walls!

Congrats btw

• Advertisement

corny wrote: »
    But it helps when your 13 can run through walls!

Congrats btw

Haha touche! A few big players are needed definitely but all 15 dont need to be 200k CSR bad boys.

It feels like only yesterday we were talking about a boardsie in Div 1. Well played. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

Fewcifur wrote: »
    It feels like only yesterday we were talking about a boardsie in Div 1. Well played. :)

And now there is both Polk High and Fight Club!

Congrats guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

First league game against Apoel Cormosia. At least I get that out of the way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭satory

Just finished spending alot of yesterday looking through my squad and trying to work out where to play people and what areas I need to strengthen....

I now hate my squad :(

Phonehead wrote: »

Any word back on this Wex? ill be buying stuff tonight so i have premium for the start of the season!

Finally see my division.

After joining after half way through the season, I won some games before losing a lot of games due to playing too many friendlies.

I finished in the play off places though in 4th and beat the team who finished 2nd by 16 points so I'm gonna look to top the group now this season. Bought some bargains with high CSR for little money.

Looking at the fixture list for the season.....im scared.

Not me :D I have 3.7 more rating points then the next team :D

What does this mean though? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

This is the week to pull those S20 U20 prospects. Love training U20's hears hoping I get a decent one!

Advertisement