Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman loses hands under DART

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Fcukin' awful.

Who knows why she was on the tracks but I doubt she was there with the intention of have her arms ripped off.

People immediately default to the "what was she doing on the tracks" in the typical blame the victim stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I live in Sandycove, friend of mine saw it and thought she might have fainted. Apparently she said "I can't feel my legs" or something before falling. :(

The people here who are mocking this, suicide attempt or not, are the absolute scum of society. We're talking about an actual human being here for Christ's sake. Someone who is going to have a f*cked up life now and that's regardless of whether she was already depressed because of something else. It could just as easily have been your friend, sister, classmate.

One wonders would ye still be joking around about it if it had been...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭oc_pl

The poor train driver, going along mnding his own business and some woman tries to kill herself. A friend of mine is a train driver and girl jumped of the platform in Malahide and he killed her it really messed him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Well no matter what the cause God help her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

anncoates wrote: »

We'll agree to disagree.

I think the jokes are harmless and suggest a certain levity and detachment from the subject although I accept they are not to everyone's taste.

Detachment? Sneaky, I like it. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

oc_pl wrote: »
    The poor train driver, going along mnding his own business and some woman tries to kill herself.

We don't know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Fcukin' awful.

Who knows why she was on the tracks but I doubt she was there with the intention of have her arms ripped off.

People immediately default to the "what was she doing on the tracks" in the typical blame the victim stance.

I'm pretty certain the emergency services were asking similar questions, along with the Gardaí.

Asking a question isn't blaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

If my poor memory and general lack of knowledge combined with my first aid training serve me correctly -
    I think they HAVE to start amputating any crushed parts after 15-20 mins to avoid the trapped blood in the crushed limb ever being recirculated and thus killing you through toxic blood poisoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

Remmy wrote: »
    That is fcuked up, poor girl. Imagine how your life would change in a flash if you lost both hands.

at least 80% AH users sex lives would be destroyed instantly .

the other 20 % obviously having gymnastic ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

A thread that sums up this website if ever there was one.

My prayers are with this girl and her family.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Feedback thread started. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81610540#post81610540

I'm sick of the hypocrisy of the mod's so I've taken it to feedback as directed by humanji.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

On a serious note I don't travel often on the Dart, but when I did I used to see lads crossing the tracks regularly, this proves thats not safe.

I'm a bit puzzled as to ...
    a) the Dart travels so slowly, especially approaching a station, how it hit her with such force that it caused serious injury
    b) how the driver didn't see her well before the train arrived at the station?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,439 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Oracle wrote: »
    a) the Dart travels so slowly, especially approaching a station, how it hit her with such force that it caused serious injury

They're huge and heavy. The force behind one even traveling at a few mph would slice your hands off. Slowly, but it would still happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Oracle wrote: »
    On a serious note I don't travel often on the Dart, but when I did I used to see lads crossing the tracks regularly, this proves thats not safe.

I'm a bit puzzled as to ...
    b) how the driver didn't see her well before the train arrived at the station?

It doesn't travel all that slowly approaching Dun Laoghaire. It comes from around a bend and through a tunnel before reaching the platform - the driver would not have a great line of sight. It's one of the more dangerous DART spots.

Yeah maybe, Just reading train was northbound Greystones to Malaide. That part of the track is curved and tunnelled, its dark anyway. So maybe not so easy to see someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

o1s1n wrote: »
    They're huge and heavy. The force behind one even traveling at a few mph would slice your hands off. Slowly, but it would still happen.
    I worked building train station shelters a few years ago. i remember at the safety meeting a C.I.E. guy telling us an empty train with 3 carriages hitting you at 5 mph was equivalent to a 40ft container falling from 15 feet onto your head.

I feel so sorry for that young woman whoever she is. A life without hands is very challenging. Whatever she was thinking, I'm sure she didn't want to end up like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Ares wrote: »
    Feedback thread started. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81610540#post81610540

I'm sick of the hypocrisy of the mod's so I've taken it to feedback as directed by humanji.

Do you know your user name is an anagram of arse?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

It's obviously devastating for the girl, and I feel bad for her, but it's hardly as bad as people are making out.
    People here seem to be acting as though she died.
    She lost her hands, she'll get on with her life.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

anncoates wrote: »
    Do you know your user name is an anagram of arse?

Do you know that you're username is an anagram of Tacos Anne?

A Sat Nonce?

A Neon Cat?

Satan Once?

Now who looks silly? :pac:

• Advertisement

Ares wrote: »
    Do you know that you're username is an anagram of Tacos Anne?

A Sat Nonce?

A Neon Cat?

Satan Once?

Now who looks silly? :pac:

Don't forget Ocean Tan, Arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I'd be inclined to think this was an attempted suicide, groups of young lads crossing tracks as a short cut in places like Kilbarrack would be the more commonplace scenario of unauthorized persons on the track, you don't tend to get young women in their 20's doing this type of thing and it was at Dun Laoghaire station which has a footbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It's obviously devastating for the girl, and I feel bad for her, but it's hardly as bad as people are making out.

Right so can we cut off your hands then and see how happy you are living without them? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Jaysus Christ ALMIGHTY!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

jeez shut this down Mods....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Right so can we cut off your hands then and see how happy you are living without them? :mad:

Why would you do that?
    Where did I imply I'd be happy without them?
    What are you on about, seriously???!

The Herald offering a slightly newer story: The woman, believed to be in her late 20s, is reported to have lost the tops of her fingers on one hand and all of the fingers on the other.

http://www.herald.ie/news/dart-woman-loses-fingers-under-train-3285464.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

kraggy wrote: »
    We have platform doors here in the Seoul subway. The platform door opens a split second before the train door so it's like there isn't a platform door at all.

Seems strange to think there aren't platform doors on the dart line or in the tube in London, New York etc.
    There are at some stations on the Tube in London. Some of the Jubilee Line stations have those doors if my memory serves me correct.

Cost would be the main impediment to rolling them out everywhere. Also I think there are various DART and diesel carriage types, with different door layouts sharing the same line, so probably infeasible - though I could be wrong

Rasmus wrote: »
    The Herald offering a slightly newer story: The woman, believed to be in her late 20s, is reported to have lost the tops of her fingers on one hand and all of the fingers on the other.

http://www.herald.ie/news/dart-woman-loses-fingers-under-train-3285464.html

If this is true I am very thankful & relieved to hear it. It's terrible to go less than your 20 digits, but the less lost the better!

• Advertisement

If this is true I am very thankful & relieved to hear it. It's terrible to go less than your 20 digits, but the less lost the better!

I hope it is true.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement