Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman loses hands under DART

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

emul8ter25 wrote: »
    We all judge people every day, just like you are judging me.

Hows the view from up on your horse?

Tell me, how am I judging you? I'm simply pointing out the error of your ways.
    You're the one judging people, and labelling their actions as dumb, etc., all from your lofty position against that wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Wow, some really stupid people on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

There really is some absolute Mongoloides in this forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emul8ter25

The Dagda wrote: »
    Tell me, how am I judging you? I'm simply pointing out the error of your ways.
    You're the one judging people, and labelling their actions as dumb, etc., all from your lofty position against that wall.

here's the thing... if you think standing with your baby pram pushed halfway into the road as vehicles whiz past is a good idea, then yes, i AM judging you AND questioning your intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Merch wrote: »
    Are you saying that its a common enough thing for people to cross the tracks due to laziness or are you kidding??
    maybe she was drunk, stupid high jinks (if thats the case she is going to feel worse, if it happened due to an accident, like fainting off the platform? dont know why people stand so close to the edge, lets hope she wasnt pushed)
    I feel sick thinking about it
    I'm not kidding. I don't use the dart very often, so I don't know how common it is, but I have seen people hop down onto the tracks to cross over rather than using the bridge. People also stand much too close to the edge of the platform hoping, I suppose, that this will help them get onto the train first; I'm surprised that this hasn't caused more accidents.

I feel sorry for this woman, she's crippled for the rest of her life, and I hope that it wasn't as a result of her own stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

This part;
    She ended up trapped beneath the train
    has me concerned about her mental health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

brummytom wrote: »
    God, I love After Hours.

Chinese man gets horrifically crushed by a steamroller; "HAHAHAHAHA. I LOVE SPRING ROLLS. GREAT ROCK AND ROLL' etc.

Irish Woman loses hands, "How dare you make jokes, that's absolutely disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourself"

Of course people are going to be more considerate when it's an Irish case.

Her family could be on boards. Therefore, given the tragic circumstances, I think joking is bang out of order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

maybe the platform was slippy with ice/frost and the girl slipped. horrible thing to happen, poor girl

here's the thing... if you think standing with your baby pram pushed halfway into the road as vehicles whiz past is a good idea, then yes, i AM judging you AND questioning your intelligence.

How generous of you!
    And posting about it on d'internet? How modern.

And in a thread about a young lady losing her hands in a tragic accident? How sensitive. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

There's a topic, stick to it. There's a feedback forum if you want to comment on the site. Any more off-topic bickering will result in infractions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I'm sure that it will transpire what happened but the fact that she ended up under the train as it arrived might suggest that she fell under it or threw herself under. Very horrible thing to happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Didnt realise this would cause such a furore (sp).

I wonder would there be a case for putting barriers up on platforms, then again it would make getting the train even more unbearable

• Registered Users Posts: 22,244 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I'll be honest. If this was an accident of course I have sympathy for the woman, but if it resulted from her own stupidity I have none. She would have put all the people on the luas in danger just to save a minute? Selfish and stupid.

But we don't know why it happened so....
    I don't know the full circumstances of this incident, If the poor woman was pushed or fell in front of the train, then it is an unimaginably traumatic and horrific incident, however, even if the woman was completely in the wrong and acting completely and utterly recklessly, she still has my full sympathy.

We've all done stupid stuff in our lives, we've all made mistakes and luckily for ourselves, we get away with it most of the time.

No matter what the circumstances, this poor girl has suffered a horrific accident and I feel terribly sorry for her and her family.

There is a shocking lack of empathy on this forum.

It is a normal human reaction to feel emotionally connected to someone when we hear the details of a tragic incident. To the people who can't feel for this girl, you need to look closely at yourselves. Some of the reactions on this thread are verging on the psychopathic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

yermandan wrote: »
    Didnt realise this would cause such a furore (sp).

I wonder would there be a case for putting barriers up on platforms, then again it would make getting the train even more unbearable

We have platform doors here in the Seoul subway. The platform door opens a split second before the train door so it's like there isn't a platform door at all.

Seems strange to think there aren't platform doors on the dart line or in the tube in London, New York etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Could have been pushed, could have slipped, could have jumped, regardless of what happened its a terrible thing for the girl.

I don't frequent AH but I am quite shocked at the level of some of the comments. As the mods have said, cop on has really gone out the window. If any tragedy occurs to those who mock, please remind us to mock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The woman, believed to be in her early 20s, was hit by the north-bound Greystones to Malahide train as it came into the station.

Fair chance she uses boards.ie I'd say. The smart arsed lack of empathy that one associates with teenagers sometimes really sticks in the craw.

yop wrote: »
    If any tragedy occurs to those who mock, please remind us to mock.

Fight a lack of empathy with a lack of empathy. :cool:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The Dagda wrote: »
    Fight a lack of empathy with a lack of empathy. :cool:

Maybe learn sarcasm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

kylith wrote: »

I feel sorry for this woman, she's crippled for the rest of her life, and I hope that it wasn't as a result of her own stupidity.

I assume you've never ever done anything stupid or made a brief lapse of judgment in your life?

Maybe learn sarcasm

Indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

kraggy wrote: »
    We have platform doors here in the Seoul subway. The platform door opens a split second before the train door so it's like there isn't a platform door at all.

Seems strange to think there aren't platform doors on the dart line or in the tube in London, New York etc.

That works well in a system that could stop trains at the same point each time.

Irish trains stop wherever they feel like.

Any attempt to implement that idea here would result in work stoppages, don't deny it, it just would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I would be surprised if they cant reattach her hands, I remember a man had his hand cut off with a samurai sword in a pub in finglas and afaik they were able to re-attach his hand.
    Now the cut with a samurai would be a lot more clean but im sure there has to be a way to minimise the damage. awful stuff altogether.

Could have been pushed, could have slipped, could have jumped, regardless of what happened its a terrible thing for the girl.

I don't frequent AH but I am quite shocked at the level of some of the comments. As the mods have said, cop on has really gone out the window. If any tragedy occurs to those who mock, please remind us to mock.

Free speech. Should it happen to me, feel free to do so.

I'd be too busy to care about what you said, doing such things like "ARRGH MY FOOKIN HAAAANDS"

ronan45 wrote: »
    I would be surprised if they cant reattach her hands, I remember a man had his hand cut off with a samurai sword in a pub in finglas and afaik they were able to re-attach his hand.
    Now the cut with a samurai would be a lot more clean but im sure there has to be a way to minimise the damage. awful stuff altogether.

Hands coming off from a train going over them is likely to result in a ****load of crushing and mushing. Little chance of re-attachment i reckon. She might get something resembling hands, but i really doubt if there will be any function.

Better to amputate and go for bionics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

She could be a poster on boards, or members of her family could.
    Imagine yourself in her situation - would you not feel anything but terror?
    I hope she comes out of this ok, irrespective of how it happenned. It has, and she will have the aftermath to live with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

There is a constant flow of threads on AH where its perfectly acceptable, expected even, for people to pull the piss out of something the OP said or try to make jokes out of it. All fun and games and no harm done.

But once every so often a thread appears that calls for a bit of cop on and understanding. The kind of thread where - If you don't have anything good to offer -stay the fúck away.

This is one of those threads.

To all the twisted, sick and smart arsed fúcks whoring for the thanks button on this thread - find out what hospital that girl is in, call up there, and while she is lying there trying to figure out what the hell happenned and face the first day of the rest of a life that will never be the same again, you tell her exactly what you posted here, while her family are gathered around her bedside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

iamthe43 wrote: »
    Why the fcuk would you laugh at someone who has just lost both hands in a terrible accident?

Now I remember why I stopped coming onto this site. There are too many a$sholes trying to be witty.

Thankfully you returned to let us know of your outrage.

This thread isn't a patch on 'woman faints on DART' I have to tell you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Thankfully you returned to let us know of your outrage.

This thread isn't a patch on 'woman faints on DART' I have to tell you.

Big, big fúcking difference between the two.

If you can't see that you need psychological help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭acidskiffle

Was at that very Dart station last night and got a Dart at 8.10pm heading to Malahide and didn't see anything, shocking to hear..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

People, there will be no more infractions handed out. There will only be bans. You've been warned twice and that's two times too many. Discuss the topic and only the topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement