Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

This is going to sound so sillyl but wat exactly is sleet. Is it tiny bits of fine snow or is it wet snow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

This is going to sound so sillyl but wat exactly is sleet. Is it tiny bits of fine snow or is it wet snow ?
    Half frozen snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleet

Different meaning in the USA compared to this side of the pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

sleet.formation.jpg

(US meaning)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kwik

I always see it as rain and snow at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleet

Different meaning in the USA compared to this side of the pond.
    Typical yanks:D

I always see it as rain and snow at the same time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

your Met Eireann thread as requested folks :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82729493#

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭davidsr20

jo06555 wrote: »

Met office dont see us getting anything either but all of uk on friday to get it :( disaster ..... bbc link too
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i08De9-lPcE&feature=youtube_gdata_player ??????

We really are missing it all Friday, looks like the uk will get a good dumping the weekend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Bit of a ramp from MT over on Netweather.

Wow, we are seeing some fairly significant cold even without the full synoptics in place, if my idea about February being core of the cold signal is still valid, we may be entering into a 6-7 week period of intense cold with possibly just one brief reversal before deeper cold sets in. That brief reversal seems most likely to happen near end of January. Looking at the current synoptics, strong high pressure north of eastern Siberia could be nudged westward by effects of rising heights over western North America. There has been a deep (930s to 940s) low nibbling away at the base of this Siberian-arctic high for several days now, and in my research, a stronger retrograde signal develops in February.

There is tremendous potential in the current situation for an epic cold (and therefore probably snowy as well) period lasting from this spell to first week or ten days of March. If we start to see any signs in 10-15 day output of building high pressure in northwest Russia or Finland then I would say look out for record cold to move west. Looking at the way these rather weak synoptics have maxed out for snow and cold, can you imagine if we get -10 uppers moving across the North Sea later this winter?

GFS of course seems to be lukewarm to idea of further cold this month and that could prove true, it matches my research output closer than the current ECM or GEM, but at this point for me it's all about February's potential and how that actually plays out. I am of curious now to see whether this is a case of cold coming early or just a huge signal starting to appear. If it's the latter then even 1947 could find itself with a rival, certainly 1895 and 1855 may have to move over a space.
    I more or less said on Dec 15th that the big anticyclone over NW Russia would return, lets hope it does. I've even mentioned 1947 numerous times.
    I never gave up on this winter even when the charts were showing endless zonality around Christmas time.:) bring it on!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82245397

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

davidsr20 wrote: »
    We really are missing it all Friday, looks like the uk will get a good dumping the weekend :(

Not a hope Galway will see anything more than rain so no point getting your hopes up, Ulster & north Leinster is the only area with any real chance of snowfall. Would be nice to be back in Letterkenny now if tonight's NAE is anything to go by :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Very good post on NW by weathermaster :
    The strong Atlantic low appears on all of the GFS 18z ensembles including the control run so the GFS has good support from them none of the ens members want to bring it South like what the other models show. ECM though has great support from it's control run and ens members by having the low dig South. Confusing stuff indeed but soon enough one will be wrong and one will be right.

High res NAM model backs the ECM, UKMO etc and not the GFS.

A titantic battle. GFS Vs. The World. Could it be right?!

Thread telling me theres new post but when i go into it theres nothing....anyone else getting this????? Or is it just me. Im onmy phone so thats more than likely it...

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

I more or less said on Dec 15th that the big anticyclone over NW Russia would return, lets hope it does. I've even mentioned 1947 numerous times.
    I never gave up on this winter even when the charts were showing endless zonality around Christmas time.:) bring it on!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82245397

Isn't this the "Snow/Cold" ramping thread and not the "self" ramping thread? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Graupel

If it does it will be a huge victory for the GFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Graupel

dsaint1 wrote: »
    Isn't this the "Snow/Cold" ramping thread and not the "self" ramping thread? :confused:

Elmer is fond of the oul self praise

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

kwik wrote: »
    Thread telling me theres new post but when i go into it theres nothing....anyone else getting this????? Or is it just me. Im onmy phone so thats more than likely it...

Yes there seems to be a problem with the mobile site, just click on full
    Site at bottom of page

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Well if the GFS is right,here & NW will go into meltdown & break d'internet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Graupel wrote: »
    If it does it will be a huge victory for the GFS.

Until the next "dartboard low" fiasco, the GFS has become infamous for five-day storms that turn into mediocre results so I am finding it very ironic that in this rather critical case the GFS has no low of any consequence and all the other models, even the fellow N American GEM, do have one for Sunday-Monday. No real hunch which side will win the model debate except when it's one against the rest, usually the one is wrong. I remember a case a couple of years ago when the GFS nailed an easterly long before the others, so it's not always back of the pack, but in recent years I think the form horses have been Euro, GEM and UK in that order (not much to choose GEM vs UK) and that comment applies to both sides of the pond where I have interests. The GME is okay as far as it goes which is not far enough, and the JMA and NOGAPS are less reliable (this seems to be borne out by statistics too, it's certainly not an opinion unique to myself). The new Russian model should be worth following but it never seems to show anything much different from the ECM so I keep forgetting to look at it. There is even an Australian model you can see over at meteociel.fr ... I have not been looking at it enough to form any opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

short term 0z GFS looks solid but has not progressed any further west than last night's 18z however it appears the 0z NAE has.

• Advertisement

big upgrade from the NAE 0z with snow beginning to fall much earlier in Ireland

Note there is some disagreement between it and the GFS.

Snow inland of the east coast.
    T36hrs NAE

13011806_1700.gif

And at 42hrs, including the rain for my location :P

13011812_1700.gif

short term global ukm is excellent also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Massive upgrade by Met Eireann this morning. Severe cold next week. Gerry Murphy seen at Dublin Airport heading to warmer climes I believe. He didn't and couldn't write this mornings forecast. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Indeed. From no mention of snow last night to "drifting snow and accumulations over high ground" this morning for Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Oconnord

Frequent lurker here. Very informative! Anyone find this great wont update beyond page 297 this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,691 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Well holy cow, MetE have kicked the wasps nest and gone all in for a massive event, utterly shocked at the scale of their upgrade

On a selfish note for my Friday morning flight to Bristol, saturday rugby in Exeter and return flight Sunday night I cant decide if Id be better if we couldnt get out of Dublin than to be stuck in England having had no match. Thoughts?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Well holy cow, MetE have kicked the wasps nest and gone all in for a massive event, utterly shocked at the scale of their upgrade

That's all Evelyn's work! :p

Only slightly worrying thing this morning is that 0z GFS, while it does improve chances of that rain band turning to snow on Saturday - after that it's looking cold but pretty dry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

Good News From Matt Hugo on NW....

Just to help clear things up...

The 00Z FAX for midday on Friday shows why things have and will change;

http://www.wetterzen...ics/brack0a.gif

The occlusion, somewhat frustratingly to say the least, develops a low pressure along it now initially in the Irish Sea before moving into Ireland. This, without question, holds the front further west and keeps NW Eng and the Midlands out of the firing line, particularly compared with previous forecasts. Parts of the south may see an increase but I think the biggest change will be to Ireland, especially N Ireland which could see the bulk of the snow from this event now after clearly likely not having very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

GFS of course seems to be lukewarm to idea of further cold this month and that could prove true, it matches my research output closer than the current ECM or GEM, but at this point for me it's all about February's potential and how that actually plays out. I am of curious now to see whether this is a case of cold coming early or just a huge signal starting to appear. If it's the latter then even 1947 could find itself with a rival, certainly 1895 and 1855 may have to move over a space. [/B]

Interesting part there, going by this it sounds as if it would be better for us to get the cold later rather than now, as it would be more severe if it waited a while, I wonder why? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement