Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Right ECM very impressive.

I would love to see some other charts. Dewpoints, surface temp progs, etc...

Plenty of options on wunderground, their new map design is very awkward but just click on model data on the right then click the cog icon

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/

Snow projection for Friday..obviously not to be taken at face value but definite potential there with temperatures hovering around freezing in the NE

Qo1qp.jpg

Nice run there but there's still nowhere near any consensus on that low in the Atlantic so no point getting too excited
    a>

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LoadofCROC

What was said on 6 o'clock news weather? Did anyone just watch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Guys I'm confused about the timeline of this snow - when is it due? Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

K3v wrote: »
    Gerry "Sleet" Murphy is on now!

And not a mention of snow anywhere over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

Or Sleet :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

Why cant he just say the word "SNOW"

sick-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-230.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Not even a mention of snow of schleet from Gerry, he didn't have the balls to go past Thursday either. WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

God dammit I promise myself that I will not get excited until we no for sure..
    But I cant help it :)
    I have an addiction

I am actually trying to get excited but failing miserably.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Deank wrote: »
    Not even a mention of snow of schleet from Gerry, he didn't have the balls to go past Thursday either. WTF?

That has to change after the 9pm news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Yes indeed another epic forecast tonight from Met Eireann.
    A complete ignorance of the cold that is surrounding us and about to move in.
    Surely one of the most mis informed forecasts ever given!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

We need Evelyn!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

U mean Gerry rain and no snow with a big fake smile on his face murphy
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

Gerry fears the word snow, maybe he is rite time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I don't think there's any reason to mention the weekend on Wednesday considering it's so uncertain. It would be different if there was a much higher chance of it being snow. At the moment it's only a possibility and a lot depends on which model you look at and at which time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well if he didn't go by Thursday he isn't wrong i suppose!

But isn't Thursday tomorrow!??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Cooler weather moving in from the rest, that was it! The rest of the team are probably glued to the ECM. Horrible time to have to go and give a forecast during such flip flopping on the models. Cant be pleasant knowing all of boards have seen the latest ECM While you give a forecast from old data.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I don't think there's any reason to mention the weekend on Wednesday considering it's so uncertain. It would be different if there was a much higher chance of it being snow. At the moment it's only a possibility and a lot depends on which model you look at and at which time.

Maq what's your considered view on the models today?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

imagine if gerry was out on the job reporting snow like this !!

he would have a heartattack :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Cooler weather moving in from the rest, that was it! The rest of the team are probably glued to the ECM. Horrible time to have to go and give a forecast during such flip flopping on the models. Cant be pleasant knowing all of boards have seen the latest ECM While you give a forecast from old data.

Interesting comment, I am beginning to thing weather forecasting is a bit like newspapers these day, with the help of the internet we all have the information before the experts can process and communicate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

He covered the weekend at the start of the forecast, (wet on Friday, and heavy rain on Sunday, btw.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Gerry tonight gave me the impression of someone who is just doing the job for the money and has little or no interest in the weather. surely anyone would mention the UK etc and that there was cold all around us and snow etc. It could have been a forecast from late April with Summer on our doorstep for all he told us tonight :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

He covered the weekend at the start of the forecast, (wet on Friday, and heavy rain on Sunday, btw.)

I just hope he can find a crow between now and 9.30pm....as he will have to eat one! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Maq what's your considered view on the models today?

I'm impressed with how close GEM and ECM take things even out to 144. It's been rare to have that kind of support between models at that range recently.

GFS is very different. The fact that it winds up a low a whole 40mb deeper than the ECM and GEM at just 72 hours makes the rest of the run questionable I think.

0Z runs will be interesting. Doubt we'll see a major change on the 18Z GFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

was going to add that , Atlantic all the way on the forcecast , poles apart from the rampant ramping in the last few hours ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

ECM1-144_pcu0.GIF
    gaijin4koma2_peersblog_1200684608.jpg?1307579749
    ECM1-240_ltr7.GIF
    gaijin4koma_peersblog_1200684654.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

I'm impressed with how close GEM and ECM take things even out to 144. It's been rare to have that kind of support between models at that range recently.

GFS is very different. The fact that it winds up a low a whole 40mb deeper than the ECM and GEM at just 72 hours makes the rest of the run questionable I think.

0Z runs will be interesting. Doubt we'll see a major change on the 18Z GFS.

I have been keeping an eye on the CMA last few weeks that too has been quite spot on too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

very strange indeed, David Rogers also from ME was able to say "the possibility of rain turning to snow" on the radio forecast yet GM refuses to say it.
    I think if snowfall is possible it's his duty to inform the public

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

hawkwing wrote: »
    Gerry tonight gave me the impression of someone who is just doing the job for the money and has little or no interest in the weather. surely anyone would mention the UK etc and that there was cold all around us and snow etc. It could have been a forecast from late April with Summer on our doorstep for all he told us tonight :(

I thought he would surely mention the snow potential for UK too

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

christ,me nerves are shattered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I just hope he can find a crow between now and 9.30pm....as he will have to eat one! :p

Last night he didn't change his forecast or graphics between broadcasts so i doubt he will tonight.

Very poor to include the weekend and not mention snow.

I try not to 'bash' the Met, but all the output points to at least a Risk of it, if not a liklihood.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement