Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is flirting (while in a relationship) acceptable?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I can only flirt with people I am not attracted to (men ususally) - if I like someone (most of the time a woman!) I just turn into a blathering muttering idiot and flirting or any other type of social game is the furthest thing from my mind lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Rubbish, I flirt with old men who Im not remotely attracted to, who in fact do repulse me physically (as in, if you asked me to kiss one of them Id cringe) - but who Im having a laugh with. Flirting is not about sexual attraction imo.

I love flirting with the creepy old men in bars :o It amuses me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

g'em wrote: »
    Psychologists would agree with you this article describes six different reasons why we flirt, with sex only being one of them :)

If there's no inherent association between flirting and sexuality, like some people here are trying to suggest, then why is it included in a thesis based upon dating and courtship?

I think alone speaks volume about what the general connotations of flirting are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I love flirting with the creepy old men in bars :o It amuses me.

So you like being a tease?

I think that's kinda mean tbh.

So you like being a tease?

I think that's kinda mean tbh.

No they come to chat to me and I chat back. I'm not gonna bat them away and say, don't bother talking to me I have a boyfriend straight away. They want to take things further than just talking I'll tell them then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Sorcha16 wrote: »
    If there's no inherent association between flirting and sexuality, like some people here are trying to suggest, then why is it included in a thesis based upon dating and courtship?

Just because it may be used as part of dating/courtship, does not automatically infer that it is always and only used as part of dating/courtship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Sorcha16 wrote: »

I dont know what thesis you are talking about? Linky?

I dont think that speaks volumes about anything though. I could decide to write a thesis about cats and peanuts and at the end conclude that there is no connection between the two. Including something in a thesis doesnt make it fact.

Flirting could be used in many ways, not just as part of courtship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

Including something in a thesis doesnt make it fact.

Of course not but there have to be legitimate grounds for investigation in order for a thesis to be authorised in the first place. The intrinsic link between flirting and dating evidently exists and anyone who thinks flirting isn't widely received as a sexual practice is fooling themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

No they come to chat to me and I chat back. I'm not gonna bat them away and say, don't bother talking to me I have a boyfriend straight away. They want to take things further than just talking I'll tell them then.
    I think flirting with men you find creepy just because it amuses you is a bit mean to be honest :/ kinda just sounds like taking the piss out of a little old man :(
    Hope Im wrong!

Okay I'll give a real scenario!

Me and my sister were in a bar last week, and an older guy came and talked us. He didn't offer to buy us drinks, or ask us to dance or anything. We just chatted, had some laughs, he told us we were beautiful and we said thank you. After a while the conversation dryed up and he went away.

Should I have said when he came over, don't bother we aren't interested? He was a funny guy and we had a laugh!

• Advertisement

Me and my sister were in a bar last week, and an older guy came and talked us. He didn't offer to buy us drinks, or ask us to dance or anything. We just chatted, had some laughs, he told us we were beautiful and we said thank you. After a while the conversation dryed up and he went away.

Should I have said when he came over, don't bother we aren't interested? He was a funny guy and we had a laugh!

So did you talk to this guy purely for your own amusement? If you didn't find him 'amusing' would you have sent him away?

Of course not but that's just talking to someone?? I know there's a debate about what flirting is but Im sure anyone would agree that's just talking no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

That's called being friendly, not flirting.

So did you talk to this guy purely for your own amusement? If you didn't find him 'amusing' would you have sent him away?

I was talking to him cause he was interesting, and I like to talk to people. If he had been boring the conversation would have dried up sooner. I don't think I'd ever send anyone away, cause I think that's pretty rude unless they did something offensive.

I've stated four times in this thread I don't know what flirting is and nobody has explained it to me :pac:

As others have said you were just talking to him. It wasn't flirting.

Flirting with someone you find creepy for your own amusement is wrong imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭28064212

If you asked the guy, would he have said it was flirting? If the guy had a genuine sexual interest in her, is it flirting?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    If you asked the guy, would he have said it was flirting? If the guy had a genuine sexual interest in her, is it flirting?

Depends on the conversation tbh.

Flirting with someone you find creepy for your own amusement is wrong imo.

Hasn't half this thread been about when people were just doing this, chatting, having a laugh with someone, and it was interpreted as flirting?

I'm fairly sure he was onto either me or my sister, he didn't really care. So is me sitting there listening to him calling us beautiful flirting? :pac:

My crazy brain is getting way too confused here so I'm gonna stop thinking. I know how things are in my relationship and I'm happy with that, so I guess that's all that matters :)

• Advertisement

Sounds to me like he was possibly flirting with them. Of course, it's all context dependent, but isn't striking up conversation with ladies because he found them pretty and to have a bit of a laugh with them also flirting? And if they keep it going, isn't that also flirting?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Oh where is the video that was posted gone? I was coming back to watch it, my laptop is playing up so I could have the wrong thread altogether.

Hasn't half this thread been about when people were just doing this, chatting, having a laugh with someone, and it was interpreted as flirting?

Well to me flirting is much more than just having a conversation with someone.

But I have often had what I thought was just a conversation with people, but they or witnesses said later it was flirting.

This is why I shouldn't think about things :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I've stated four times in this thread I don't know what flirting is and nobody has explained it to me :pac:

Want me to show you...?? ;)

(Btw before I get banned, THAT was trying to show what it is lol)

Epic fail, gets coat :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

Mostly because we're human and can't help but find ourselves sexually attracted to other people sometimes but might never want it to go anywhere by virtue of being married, in a relationship, in love with someone else or a multitude of other reasons.

It's healthy to express ourselves and flirting by definition is an expression of sexual attraction
    Flirting can be about sexual attraction (i.e. "serious intent") or without. Still though - why would you flirt with somebody you were attracted to but didn´t want to have any kind of sexual relationship with? Either I´d flirt with somebody I´m attracted to because I want it to go somewhere, or I might flirt with somebody I´m not attracted to for the sake of being playful and friendly and for fun. I wouldn´t flirt with somebody I´m attracted to if I didn´t want it to go somewhere. I´m very puzzled by that concept tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

For us personally, it's not acceptable. When we got together we were only 19 so didn't have a clue really but as adults now, (well 29!) we would never, ever do it, I'd feel betrayed and so would he!

There's nothing wrong with being yourself, friendly and nice and chatty but I think there's a distinct line between being friendly and an outgoing person and being flirty and neither of us in a million years would cross it or want to cross it!

I know some couples who are the total opposite and are very content with eachother being flirty so it does depend on the person but that's how we are and always intend to be!:D

Well if you're not having a conversation, you're certainly doing more than just flirting... ;) :pac:

Flirting can be purely through dialogue, a bit of banter, trying to have a laugh with someone, it may or may not involve attraction. It's an ambiguous thing, two people can be having a chat, one may think the other was flirting while the other may think nothing of the sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭28064212

And isn't that the point? Say A is talking to B, and C is a neutral observer. After the conversation, all 3 could have totally different opinions of whether the conversation crossed the line into flirting. Add in D, E and F observers and you'll get 3 more opinions. It's incredibly subjective, ambiguous and arbitrary

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

But I have often had what I thought was just a conversation with people, but they or witnesses said later it was flirting.

This is why I shouldn't think about things :pac:
    Well Im a very outgoing friendly person and I would be highly insulted if somebody accused me of flirting with somebody I was simply talking to. I've got a friend whose girlfriend is a shameful flirt and it creates really awkward situations, she'll sit rubbing her boyfriends friends shoulders, almost sit on their laps, makes suggestive remarks about them coming over and being her topless handyman etc. My friend ends up upset most nights and the rest of us are left with a really bad taste in our mouths because we find it disrespectful to our friend. So that's why if somebody accused me of flirting id be insulted.
    Whatever our different interpretations of flirting is surely we're all in agreement that it's slightly or a lot more than just a conversation with someone.

Advertisement