Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison officer killed in suspect dissident ambush

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

And you know this how exactly?seriously opinions like this doesn't help the situation.why are you turning it into a sectarian issue?

It's pretty known now he was murdered because of the situation in maghaberry,stop trying to start a sectarian spat here.

Oh wait Keith is that you surely not?

I know this because it is a FACT that the root cause of the troubles in NI is RELIGION. To be murdered because of ones religion is known as a sectarian killing!
    It has been well reported he was a member of the Orange Order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

The_Mask wrote: »
    I know this because it is a FACT that the root cause of the troubles in NI is RELIGION. To be murdered because of ones religion is known as a sectarian killing!

Actually its a lot more complicated than purely religion and viewing the killing as being for purely religious reasons is just lazy given the guy was a prison officer also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

It certainly seems like you want it to be about religion but if it was they could have found a much easier target. Logic dictates that he was targeted because he is a prison officer.

Seems to me your trying to brush his religious and political identy under the carpet, seems it sits easier if he is stripped of his identity and reduced to merely a prison officer, in much the same way as our brothers, uncles, fathers and friends who were murdered in the past where reduced to being merely soldiers or policemen. No doubt you have heard of six degrees of seperation, well I don't know this prison officer personnly but I do know people who do know him, making him more then just a faceless prison officer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

junder wrote: »
    Seems to me your trying to brush his religious and political identy under the carpet, seems it sits easier if he is stripped of his identity and reduced to merely a prison officer, in much the same way as our brothers, uncles, fathers and friends who were murdered in the past where reduced to being merely soldiers or policemen. No doubt you have heard of six degrees of seperation, well I don't know this prison officer personnly but I do know people who do know him, making him more then just a faceless prison officer
    Junder do you really think he was killed because he was a protestant? If so, why?

To me its clear he was killed because he was a prison officer who worked in Roe House, as you know there has been a rapidly escalating protest going on now for quite a while within the prison. Is that not the more logical conclusion? If he was a catholic it wouldnt have made any difference they would still have been willing to kill him.

The above doesn't make it ok or less reprehensible that he was killed btw.

It's clear that some loyalists are chomping at the bit to "retaliate" and are looking for any excuse to do so - especially give the summer. Relics clinging to the past.
    Interesting how the thread about this on PULSE, which was initially full of posts about how he was a good "christian protestant", a great guy just doing his job etc etc ground to a halt when it was pointed out that the UVF murdered prison officers before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

dissidents (organized crime masking themselves in a political cause),

This is such a stupid connection to make. Why would 'organised crimminals' want the heat of shooting a prison officer? It's quite clear these people are committed to an ideal and that they have a 'political cause'. Subversives the world over fund themselves by attacking state institutions and engaging in what we call crimminal activity. Ignoring the fact that a new breed of republican agitator is on the rise in a vain attempt to maintain the 'peace' is dangerous and stupid.

• Advertisement

Actually its a lot more complicated than purely religion and viewing the killing as being for purely religious reasons is just lazy given the guy was a prison officer also.

Would the circumstances or your view change if this guy was a taxi driver? No i dont think so. His job as a PO may have caused him to have be singled out

Would the circumstances or your view change if this guy was a taxi driver? No i dont think so. His job as a PO may have caused him to have been singled out but he wasnt killed purely because of it.

Would the circumstances or your view change if this guy was a taxi driver? No i dont think so. His job as a PO may have caused him to have be singled out
    Why would they have shot a taxi man?

They are perfectly happy to kill catholics too, as they showed when they killed those poor PSNI officers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MatthewWC

RIP

Least they've got a few boys in for questioning already and i think one has been charged, not 100% sure though. Think one of them was arrested/questioned about the murder of the army lads in antrim too

GRMA wrote: »
    Why would they have shot a taxi man?

They are perfectly happy to kill catholics too, as they showed when they killed those poor PSNI officers.
    Taxi men are & have been seen as easy targets for both sides through out the troubles

• Advertisement

MatthewWC wrote: »
    RIP

Least they've got a few boys in for questioning already and i think one has been charged, not 100% sure though. Think one of them was arrested/questioned about the murder of the army lads in antrim too
    He was found innocent over the masereene attack

Junder do you really think he was killed because he was a protestant? If so, why?

To me its clear he was killed because he was a prison officer who worked in Roe House, as you know there has been a rapidly escalating protest going on now for quite a while within the prison. Is that not the more logical conclusion? If he was a catholic it wouldnt have made any difference they would still have been willing to kill him.

It's clear that some loyalists are chomping at the bit to "retaliate" and are looking for any excuse to do so - especially give the summer. Relics clinging to the past.
    Interesting how the thread about this on PULSE, which was initially full of posts about how he was a good "christian protestant", a great guy just doing his job etc etc ground to a halt when it was pointed out that the UVF murdered prison officers before.

And there are many on that thread who are pointing out the stupidity of those calling for a responce from loyalists paramiltarys,

He was found innocent over the masereene attack

Just because there was not enough evidence to prosecute Duffy does not mean he is innocent

So far the dissidents plan to being the army back on the streets has failed, if they don't achieve this in the near future they will shrivel and die, they base thier whole idologly on a so called British occupation, bit hard to sell that vision both at home and overseas when there is no visible evidence of occupation. Moreover having the army back on the streets would undermine Sinn Fein being in governemt and indeed thier whole peace process strategy. It would also give them a more visible target to attack. So far they have failed to achieve this re-militarisation. I believe that the only way they will achieve re-militarisation is to provoke a reaction from loyalist paramiltarys, the only way that will happen is to shoot prods. I would not be surprised to see more (Protestant) members if the security forces targeted so they can promote the myth that they are shooting legitimate targets.

Just because there was not enough evidence to prosecute Duffy does not mean he is innocent
    He was prosecuted. And deemed innocent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

So far the dissidents plan to being the army back on the streets has failed, if they don't achieve this in the near future they will shrivel and die, they base thier whole idologly on a so called British occupation, bit hard to sell that vision both at home and overseas when there is no visible evidence of occupation. Moreover having the army back on the streets would undermine Sinn Fein being in governemt and indeed thier whole peace process strategy. It would also give them a more visible target to attack. So far they have failed to achieve this re-militarisation. I believe that the only way they will achieve re-militarisation is to provoke a reaction from loyalist paramiltarys, the only way that will happen is to shoot prods. I would not be surprised to see more (Protestant) members if the security forces targeted so they can promote the myth that they are shooting legitimate targets.

Give over,if they only wanted the army back on the streets all they have to do is shoot up a pub full of protestants,your point is futile.

Give over,if they only wanted the army back on the streets all they have to do is shoot up a pub full of protestants,your point is futile.

They could and whose to say that wont happen in the future, when they start to get really frustrated, but for now they want to maintain the illusion that they are soldiers and they are shooting legitimate targets

They could and whose to say that wont happen in the future, when they start to get really frustrated, but for now they want to maintain the illusion that they are soldiers and they are shooting legitimate targets

So basically that just makes your argument void.

Would the circumstances or your view change if this guy was a taxi driver? No i dont think so. His job as a PO may have caused him to have been singled out but he wasnt killed purely because of it.
    Huh?this makes no sense.

Or maybe im looking at the murder and drawing a logical conclusion as to why he was target, unlike yourself who seems intent in painting it as a murder based purely on religion.

• Advertisement

Im more than certain they would have killed him whether he was protestant or catholic. As i said if they wanted to kill a protestant they could have found a much easier target.

Im more than certain they would have killed him whether he was protestant or catholic. As i said if they wanted to kill a protestant they could have found a much easier target.

The amount of intelligence required to murder somebody is alot so yer there are easier targets, most of them living in their own community's as they have already demonstrated in the past, but if you want to up the aunty target somebody from the other community

The amount of intelligence required to murder somebody is alot so yer there are easier targets, most of them living in their own community's as they have already demonstrated in the past, but if you want to up the aunty target somebody from the other community

Why would they even need to up the ante? Killing a prison officer sends the message they want to send.

Why would they even need to up the ante? Killing a prison officer sends the message they want to send.

Because they are failing in their desire to being the army back onto the streets, why are you finding that so hard to understand, if they don't up the ante, if they don't get the army back onto the streets they will stall in their campaign, it's really not rocket science

Because they are failing in their desire to being the army back onto the streets, why are you finding that so hard to understand, if they don't up the ante, if they don't get the army back onto the streets they will stall in their campaign, it's really not rocket science
    As I said why not shoot up a pub full of protestants if this is what they want so bad.your point is flawed,you're trying to make it sectarian,give it a rest we have enough bad things happening without people like you stirring it more.

Huh?this makes no sense.

In my opinion his occupation only played a small part in him being targeted, could easily have been any protestant of any occupation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Dissidents main objective is to bring the army back on to the streets, to undermine the concept of 'normality' in Northern Ireland, so far they have failed to achieve this, maybe thier aim is to escalate the conflict by killing a Protestant under the guise of killing a prison officer, in the hope of provoking a reaction from loyalist paramiltarys, in this way they can pretend they have the high moral ground because they will say they only killed him because he was a prison officer
    It has been well reported he was a member of the Orange Order.

I really don't see this as a sectarian killing. He was a prison officer working in the republican wing of a high security prison where dozen of dissident protests have taken place. To sift through the many different staff who work at Maghaberry to work out their political background would be long and time consuming.
    In my opinion his occupation only played a small part in him being targeted, could easily have been any protestant of any occupation.

Then why not just drag a protestant off the street and shoot them? This murder was political, not sectarian. This murder is going to cause enough trouble as it is, don't need to further rile tensions up by placing a sectarian spin on this.

As I said why not shoot up a pub full of protestants if this is what they want so bad.your point is flawed,you're trying to make it sectarian,give it a rest we have enough bad things happening without people like you stirring it more.

Spare me the moral high ground rubbish, It wasn't me that went out and killed this police officer, and This man was a member of my community not yours. If dissidents did shoot up a bar the ILLUSION of being non sectarian. (The same illusion that the previous incarnations if republicans have tried to paint,) is destroyed, shooting this prison officer allows them to try and maintain this illusion, but at the same time it sends a direct message of provocation into the loyalist / unionist community, as he was as already mentioned, a member of our community. I would not be surprised in the least to find that there are some republicans, some maybe even on this site, who believe this prison officer got what he deserved merely because he was a member of the orange order.

Spare me the moral high ground rubbish, It wasn't me that went out and killed this police officer, and This man was a member of my community not yours. If dissidents did shoot up a bar the ILLUSION of being non sectarian. (The same illusion that the previous incarnations if republicans have tried to paint,) is destroyed, shooting this prison officer allows them to try and maintain this illusion, but at the same time it sends a direct message of provocation into the loyalist / unionist community, as he was as already mentioned, a member of our community. I would not be surprised in the least to find that there are some republicans, some maybe even on this site, who believe this prison officer got what he deserved merely because he was a member of the orange order.

Seriously you're making assumptions based on no evidence.he was probably targeted because of the prison issue which is ongoing.there has been threats issued to prison officers over the last year.

You just have to get it in that's it attack on your community and protestants,please spare me the moral high ground.

Assumptions never do anything constructive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Bohemian1890

Seems to me your trying to brush his religious and political identy under the carpet

So if this happened in lets say for arguments sake America, would there be emphasis put on what religion he was in the media?, I think not! He was killed because he was a prison officer...

Some people love stoking up secterian tensions and that includes the media etc.

Advertisement