Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WRH proposed downgrade - protest on Saturday the 23rd of Feb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Premier wrote: »
    For such a hot topic, there not much feedback on the kilkenny forum or wexford forum regarding this serious matter,

Agreed, i would hope for support from those in south KK. However, boards KK gets id say about 1 tenth of the traffic Waterford City does so mightnt possibly be best representation of South KK's views, I hope not anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Paudie Coffey, Fine Gael TD for Waterford, confirmed on DeiseAM this morning he would consider his position if the hospital is downgraded and he stated he wont stand over such. He stated that he wanted to be sure that the protest march and campaigners confirm and state that its for a protest against the downgrading of the hospital, and if so, he will be attending.

That's two members of Fine Gael in Waterford who have put their neck out in the line in addition to working tooth and nail for Waterford. I don't think anybody can now suggest he isn't working for Waterford and putting the City first ahead of party politics.

A Wexford FG Senator, Michael D'Arcy, reaffirmed his statement or "personal view" and not a "once off" on DeiseAM that he made to the Seanad that the hospital was 'worst performing hospital in the country and that it is broken'. He is basing this on his own personal experience. Paudie Coffey rebuffed this, asked him to withdraw the statement and said that a KPMG report stated that it was the complete opposite. This was refused, stating it was his personal view and Paudie isn't in a position to ask him to do so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Sully wrote: »
    I'm not sure I follow what your saying? Billy Mc had a copy of the report?

James Reilly and Enda Kenny have seen the report. I cant prove it but I am 100% sure they have seen it. When Maurice Cummins was on WLR the other morning he had a copy of the report with him and Billy said he saw it. What he did not make fully clear is if he looked through it or not, or whether he meant he saw the report on the person of Maurice Cummins. I know Maurice Cummins is leader of the Seanad, but if he had a copy of it, I am 100% sure that the Teaoiseach and senior ministers have seen it before any TD or senator got their hands on it. Maybe I am mistaken and it was some other report Maurice Cummins had, but I dont think I am wrong. I am sure it was the 'Higgins Report' or what ever it is called.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Deise Tom wrote: »
    James Reilly and Enda Kenny have seen the report. I cant prove it but I am 100% sure they have seen it. When Maurice Cummins was on WLR the other morning he had a copy of the report with him and Billy said he saw it. What he did not make fully clear is if he looked through it or not, or whether he meant he saw the report on the person of Maurice Cummins. I know Maurice Cummins is leader of the Seanad, but if he had a copy of it, I am 100% sure that the Teaoiseach and senior ministers have seen it before any TD or senator got their hands on it. Maybe I am mistaken and it was some other report Maurice Cummins had, but I dont think I am wrong. I am sure it was the 'Higgins Report' or what ever it is called.

News to me. Anything I have read or heard stated the report has not yet been completed and given to James Reilly or the Cabinet. I read James Reilly will receive it next week. This is the message coming out of WRH also.

I stand correct if I am mistaken.

Paudie Coffey, Fine Gael TD for Waterford, confirmed on DeiseAM this morning he would consider his position if the hospital is downgraded and he stated he wont stand over such.

Did not hear much of today's show. If he said as you say, he should get a clap on the back. Ciara Conway yesterday refused point blank to say she would consider her position, saying that she could do much better work from inside the Party Whips than out side it. I would not expect anything different to be honest. I know I am not using her exact words. If she had Waterford's interest at heart, she would follow Maurice Cummins and now Paudie Coffey as you say. Anyone know John Deasy's future intents on the matter. While its good to year them say they will consider their future, maybe it might put more pressure on the governement if they said they would resign from the party and for the likes of Tom Hayes in South Tipp was to do the same. The Wexford consultants it is reported want to align themself with Waterford and maybe their TD's should do much the same but I cant see Howlin doing it. If all the Fine Gael and Labour TD's in Waterford, South Tipp and Wexford were to resign it would not mean that the Governement would minority one, it would mean that they would have to sit up and take some notice of what is been said.

• Advertisement

News to me. Anything I have read or heard stated the report has not yet been completed and given to James Reilly or the Cabinet. I read James Reilly will receive it next week. This is the message coming out of WRH also.

If you can hear a pod cast of Tuesday's show. He was one of the first people on. Maybe I am mistaken and it was a different report that was mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

great, we're to be saved from a Cork inspired carve-up of the southeast by Fianna Fail's health spokesman....who's from.......Cork:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/health-minister-urged-to-come-clean-over-secret-plan-for-more-cuts-662789-Nov2012/

Like he's going to bust a gut for WRH against CUH.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

A Wexford FG Senator, Michael D'Arcy, reaffirmed his statement or "personal view" and not a "once off" on DeiseAM that he made to the Seanad that the hospital was 'worst performing hospital in the country and that it is broken'. He is basing this on his own personal experience. Paudie Coffey rebuffed this, asked him to withdraw the statement and said that a KPMG report stated that it was the complete opposite. This was refused, stating it was his personal view and Paudie isn't in a position to ask him to do so.
    This is an appalling statement for a Senator to make regarding his Regional Hospital. He needs to be challenged for proof and in its absence made to withdraw it. This needs to be done by all his Government colleagues from the South East and not just by Paudie Coffey. He needs to shown up for the idiot he really is to make such an outlandish and unfounded statement.

If this is what Wexford have representing them in the Senate then I pity them.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0226/health.html

send this to Mr Darcy above in Wexford.

Is that the same report that Billy McCarthy said on Deise AM that he saw with Maurice Cummins. If it is, then that is a very stupid statement from you. Its nearly as stupid as the one made by a FF minister in the last government, might have been Brian Cowan, who claimed he had not read some report and was making coments on it.

If you can hear a pod cast of Tuesday's show. He was one of the first people on. Maybe I am mistaken and it was a different report that was mentioned.

I have received clarification from Senator Maurice Cummins on this. I can confirm and reiterate that the report will not be ready until the 14th What Maurice has is a leaked confidential internal HSE document which recommended a retention of South East Hospital Network. HSE South encompasses Cork, Kerry & the South East Region.

My personal continued understanding is that the report is being drawn up, will be handed next week to Minister Reilly who was half suspected of going to cabinet before Christmas but the national media suggests that wont be the case. This is all technically 'speculation' of course as we are relying on leaked information. But you can bet your bottom dollar that most Fine Gael Oireachtas Members are working their backside off for Waterford and as I stated - two in Waterford have stated clearly that they would consider their position and they are completely against any such downgrading of WRH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Mods, any chance the thread title can be changed to something like, "WRH proposed downgrade - protest on Saturday, 8th Nov at 12pm". Or maybe a separate, stickied (but locked) thread just with details of the march. ???

Mods, any chance the thread title can be changed to something like, "WRH proposed downgrade - protest on Saturday, 8th Nov at 12pm". Or maybe a separate, stickied (but locked) thread just with details of the march. ???

Ill modify the title and the OP, but stickied threads get overlooked it appears. It has its own thread but its locked to avoid discussion of the hospital in two places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Poor aul' <snip> from This Is Up is getting an awful time of it on Facebook tonight. She's expressing a dislike for how the protesting is being done and is of the view it's promoting a negative impression of Waterford.

I disagree with her completely, and I don't know why she used her Work page to go against the grain but she is getting an awful lot of abuse, both personal nd professional which is totally uncalled for.

Join in the 'debate' <snip - dead link removed>

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Poor aul' <snip> from This Is Up is getting an awful time of it on Facebook tonight. She's expressing a dislike for how the protesting is being done and is of the view it's promoting a negative impression of Waterford.

I disagree with her completely, and I don't know why she used her Work page to go against the grain but she is getting an awful lot of abuse, both personal nd professional which is totally uncalled for.

Join in the 'debate' <snip - dead link removed>[/URL]

She has a point. The campaign needs to focus on one thing and one thing only. Plus the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Jason Todd wrote: »

Join in the 'debate' <snip - dead link removed>

I could not disagree with Karen Frampton more. The mood is not low?? Seriously?? The mood is lower than a snakes stomach at the moment.

This idea that we shouldn't do anything 'negative' annoys me. We have been the good boys and girls for too long and where has it gotten us? Our hospital could be downgraded in the near future so we should just accept it because if we don't we will be perceived as 'negative'...give me a break!

I'll be there saturday. It will be the first public protest I have ever taken part in but this is too serious an issue to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

Hate to be saying it but after seeing a few posters in peoples front windows supporting the march on Saturday you might aswell be putting up a sign saying you won't be in your house on Saturday lunchtime as you'll be at the march.I'm sure there's going to be Scum going around scouting for houses that'll be empty saturday. I'll be at the march myself with my family which makes it even more annoying that if there is fellas robbing houses at Saturday lunchtime they'll be the first to moan if they or their family have to go down to Cork! Just something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Bards

The following article does not portray the FG S.E TD's in the best of light - just more of the same infighting that has dogged the Sout East for years to the benefiit of the Likes of Cork & Dublin to divide and Conquer

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/fg-members-clash-as-hospital-branded-worst-in-country-213428.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Bards wrote: »
    The following article does not portray the FG S.E TD's in the best of light - just more of the same infighting that has dogged the Sout East for years to the benefiit of the Likes of Cork & Dublin to divide and Conquer

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/fg-members-clash-as-hospital-branded-worst-in-country-213428.html

that chap in wexford is clearly a moron of the highest order, basing his talk on his one and single experience of WRH probably ignoring the fact that WRH is only audited hospital to get green light on HSE tests. I also wonder how much experince he has of all the other hospitals in the country since he seems to be saying with confidence that WRH is the worst, so he must have used all the other hospitals too if he is using his opinion as his speech foundation....another quality public rep in Ireland

At least it shows people that at least one of our TDs is actually fighting for WRH and Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

I'll be at the march on Saturday and hopefully everyone who can make it should do, we need to make a stand to the neo cons of this rotten country that enough is enough. We the people of Waterford will not stand down on this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

"A person in Co Wexford can go to St Vincent’s in an ambulance in little over an hour."

How on gods earth can he defend moving the services to Dublin and then make that statement. An hour when its life and death is the difference between life and death!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

O Riain wrote: »
    "A person in Co Wexford can go to St Vincent’s in an ambulance in little over an hour."

How on gods earth can he defend moving the services to Dublin and then make that statement. An hour when its life and death is the difference between life and death!

I assume that Sen. d'Arcy is basing this statement on using helicopter transport. He's got it all carefully calculated you know, regardless of the patient's location in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

At least it shows people that at least one of our TDs is actually fighting for WRH and Waterford.

Yeah.... great took long enough . Along with the other "representatives" we have in the Dail it's only when they realised the intensity of feeling this issue has generated in their constituencies that they've come out on the airwaves and print media to justify their positions . Let them stand up in the Dail and state categorically their utter opposition to this move a la Matty Mc Grath who's not even representing our constituency . Let them stop with the optics and get up and fight for the people they represent.

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

Max Powers wrote: »
    The protest is on Saturday, 8th Nov at 12pm.
    In 2008?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Swissarmyknife

Hopefully there will be a strong turnout for this,the weather forecast is good for tomorrow also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

O Riain wrote: »

If he was transported in the Space Shuttle........

Fighting for WRH, BUT not Waterford. He has specifically stated that he would not attend the protest if it were to be about the city status. FFS.

That's two members of Fine Gael in Waterford who have put their neck out in the line in addition to working tooth and nail for Waterford. I don't think anybody can now suggest he isn't working for Waterford and putting the City first ahead of party politics.

FFS Sully, will you ever get a grip? 'Sticking his neck out". That's what he was fcuking elected to do. What do you want for him - a medal? He only did it because the pressure came on.

She has a point. The campaign needs to focus on one thing and one thing only. Plus the facts.

Rubbish. She offended more people than defended her. Completely out of touch with the situation (like others I could mention) and then was "taken aback" by the response.

Facts are in short supply from this Government, Their TDs and those who - inexplicably - support and defend their actions and the subsequent implications for Waterford city.

A party put before a city. Sweet Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

How can there be a bleedin' protest march on Saturday 8th November this year?

Advertisement