Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WRH proposed downgrade - protest on Saturday the 23rd of Feb

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

7upfree wrote: »
    Paranoia. Ya gotta love it all the same!:D

33889111.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Meatwad wrote: »
    This was the thing, alot of unfounded rumours and scaremongering going on and when it proves to be false, the people who started the scaremongering can act like saviours.And before the usual morons go casting pro-government accusations at me, I'm totally against all governments ,except dictatorships( RIP Gaddafi).It'd be like if I kept saying that boards was going to infect everyone with HIV on the 27th of March, I'll start off a campaign and when it doesn't happen, take all the credit for no one getting HIV.

I'm not diminishing what they did in terms of getting off their holes and organising something, in fact I think its great that a few normal people can actually see that the power to try and effect change is in their hands. All I'm saying is don't go taking credit for something that wasn't going to happen in the first place, all its gonna do is give Scary Roache and the other politicians WHO WERE involved in organising it , something to brag about and take credit for when the next session of the cnut factor(local elections) materializes in our fine dimension.
    Don't we all look silly now, blindly falling for masterminds Wyse & Roche's wicked scheme to trick us into giving them votes in a future election by scaring us into thinking the hospital was going to be downgraded, and then by helping out a campaign to save the hospital!

What started all this was a leak (via David Cullinane of Sinn Fein) from the Higgins Report that proposed breaking up the South East Hospital Network and realigning WRH with a Cork hospital. If that proposal was not in the Report then someone form the Government or one of our TDs or Higgins himself could've easily quashed the claim. The majority of Kilkenny hospital consultants also voted to break up the SEEHN. So this was at least proposed, you can't say this was never going to happen - the Higgins Report still hasn't been brought to cabinet even though it was written over 5 months ago, and we still have not received any statement from Government about the future of WRH.

I think everyone would recognise and give credit to the two ladies of Save Waterford for organising the protests, and it wouldn't be their fault if any councillors tried to claim credit for it. If the proposal in the Higgins Report is not followed through, I think the protest marches will have played a part in that. I don't care if Wyse or Roche were involved or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

12 new consultants multi million euro extension just finishing, what was all the shouting about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Hoffmans wrote: »
    12 new consultants multi million euro extension just finishing, what was all the shouting about?

It was about Waterford City always being completely and utterly ignored for everything. Has anyone been in any other city in Ireland? We are so far behind it is laughable. I was in NUIG the other day and it really hit home how much we have been neglected. A city a little bit bigger than ours has an I.T. comparable to ours and on top of that they have an absolutely unbelievable university and literally 1000s more jobs than we do.

The hospital issue was one issue out of a thousand and I for one am glad that the protests happened because its the start of Waterford people sticking up for themselves and hopefully demanding what we rightfully deserve.

Anyone from Waterford(or the south east for that matter) only needs to visit Cork, Limerick, Dublin or Galway just to see exactly how much we have been neglected by this Government and past Governments, because its worse than people realise.

Déise Abú

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

The beauty of scaremongering like Wyse and Roche is if nothing happens you can say that they saved WRH. Its a win win situation. if it gets downgraded they say they tried stop it, if it doesnt they saved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Hoffmans wrote: »

The upgrade to the emergency department , pediatric ICU were planned as far back as 2003, the rubbish in the N+S is exactly that. WHR will cease to be a Regional hospital as the region will be no longer in existence . CUH, Waterford campus will be the new title. As the catchment population will be diverted to Dublin and Cork, CUH Waterford campus will be allowed to slowly decay as will all the other hospitals in the region.

jad2007 wrote: »
    The beauty of scaremongering like Wyse and Roche is if nothing happens you can say that they saved WRH. Its a win win situation. if it gets downgraded they say they tried stop it, if it doesnt they saved it.

I know she had her blogs and he had his facebook but does anyone else actually associate them with this campaign? Because I personally dont. Were these guys city councillors during the boom years? I'm unaware if they were but if they were then I hold them personally responsible as City Councillors for absolutely failing Waterford City. Looking back what exactly was done to Waterford city? A lot of work being done now but previous to that what exactly was done over the 10 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

Wyse and Roche both long time councillors, in relation to campaign both attended planning meetings for Save Waterford. Same with Waterford Gives a Shirt.

jad2007 wrote: »
    Wyse and Roche both long time councillors, in relation to campaign both attended planning meetings for Save Waterford. Same with Waterford Gives a Shirt.

Grand so both have to share the blame for waterford city being so far behind the pack and both have no place at a protest trying to save the place.
    Am I being too harsh on the councillors, is there more they could have done for this city? Or are they simply justification personified as to why the city council should be abolished?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Chiparus wrote: »
    WHR will cease to be a Regional hospital as the region will be no longer in existence . CUH, Waterford campus will be the new title.

Is this just speculation, or have you a source for this? I can't imagine anyone would be very happy with a name like that. Imagine the uproar in the Kilkenny People if St Luke's was called "WRH - Kilkenny Campus"!

O Riain wrote: »
    Grand so both have to share the blame for waterford city being so far behind the pack and both have no place at a protest trying to save the place.
    Am I being too harsh on the councillors, is there more they could have done for this city? Or are they simply justification personified as to why the city council should be abolished?

I don't really know where to start on this one... I hold no brief for either councillor, but in fairness, both of them work hard behind the scenes and are totally committed to Waterford. A year ago, when this hospital downgrade thing was only a straw in the wind, Mary Roche had an entry on her blog about it (http://cllrmaryroche.blogspot.com/2012/02/dangerous-enough-to-cause-death-have-i.html). AFAIK, the only other person flashing the red light on this at the time was the Phoenix column in the News & Star.

You seem to think that councillors could be doing more about this issue, but it's not even in their brief! They have no more clout than you and I do! Posting facts and figures on blogs and Facebook so as to bring issues to people's attention is about the best they can do.

All the councillors are in an invidious position in that they only have any sort of brief over local issues like traffic and sewage, yet people blame and criticise them for stuff like the health services (where it's our four TDs that need to be stepping up to the plate).

As for your question whether they are "simply justification personified as to why the city council should be abolished", sorry, but I despair at that one! At least we have city councillors, and at least they're highlighting issues like this that affect the city.

If the city council is abolished, it will only make things worse, because we'll have the same situation as we do with our TDs, the GAA county board, etc., i.e. an east-west divide, with half of the council only caring about farm payments and the roads around Dungarvan, and not having any concern about why this city is so poorly treated when compared to (for example) Galway.

Waterford city is not falling behind the pack because of our city councillors. It's falling behind because of a number of factors, chief of which is a total and utter lack of support from anywhere else within the region (bar maybe south Tipp), and that (shamefully) includes some fairly half-hearted support from the west of our own county.

But we're the ones who elected John Deasy and Ciara Conway... maybe next time we might think of the city first when we're casting our ballots!

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »

Is this just speculation, or have you a source for this? I can't imagine anyone would be very happy with a name like that. Imagine the uproar in the Kilkenny People if St Luke's was called "WRH - Kilkenny Campus"!

I don't really know where to start on this one... I hold no brief for either councillor, but in fairness, both of them work hard behind the scenes and are totally committed to Waterford. A year ago, when this hospital downgrade thing was only a straw in the wind, Mary Roche had an entry on her blog about it (http://cllrmaryroche.blogspot.com/2012/02/dangerous-enough-to-cause-death-have-i.html). AFAIK, the only other person flashing the red light on this at the time was the Phoenix column in the News & Star.

You seem to think that councillors could be doing more about this issue, but it's not even in their brief! They have no more clout than you and I do! Posting facts and figures on blogs and Facebook so as to bring issues to people's attention is about the best they can do.

All the councillors are in an invidious position in that they only have any sort of brief over local issues like traffic and sewage, yet people blame and criticise them for stuff like the health services (where it's our four TDs that need to be stepping up to the plate).

As for your question whether they are "simply justification personified as to why the city council should be abolished", sorry, but I despair at that one! At least we have city councillors, and at least they're highlighting issues like this that affect the city.

If the city council is abolished, it will only make things worse, because we'll have the same situation as we do with our TDs, the GAA county board, etc., i.e. an east-west divide, with half of the council only caring about farm payments and the roads around Dungarvan, and not having any concern about why this city is so poorly treated when compared to (for example) Galway.

Waterford city is not falling behind the pack because of our city councillors. It's falling behind because of a number of factors, chief of which is a total and utter lack of support from anywhere else within the region (bar maybe south Tipp), and that (shamefully) includes some fairly half-hearted support from the west of our own county.

But we're the ones who elected John Deasy and Ciara Conway... maybe next time we might think of the city first when we're casting our ballots!

The post was actually more of a question really than a statement and I do realise that nationally we are neglected so their hands are tied in that respect. In sayin that the works that are being done now on the Viking triangle are being spearheaded by the city council so my question is why only now when money is so tight? What were they doing for the last ten years when money was flying in?

As for the ministers we voted in I totally agree, oh and by the way does anybody know about the "extensive behind the scenes work" that they are doing or is that just a fancy term for "we are not doing anything"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Bards

O Riain wrote: »
    The post was actually more of a question really than a statement and I do realise that nationally we are neglected so their hands are tied in that respect. In sayin that the works that are being done now on the Viking triangle are being spearheaded by the city council so my question is why only now when money is so tight? What were they doing for the last ten years when money was flying in?

As for the ministers we voted in I totally agree, oh and by the way does anybody know about the "extensive behind the scenes work" that they are doing or is that just a fancy term for "we are not doing anything"?

A lot of work that is being done in the City is down to one man - Michael Walsh (The City Manager) Since his appointment things have started to happen with Regards the Crystal re-location, The Viking Triangle, Winterval etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

I see last friday Sw posted-
    Friday
    8th March. We heard that Phil Hogan will be in the city again. He will be
    attending the Annual Conference for the Association of County & City
    Councils which is being held at the Tower Hotel on the Mall. stay tuned for more
    information :)

Then later in that thread SW said-

lots of different views on what should be done. We don't know what we are doing yet,
    but will let everyone know as soon as we decide.

March 1 at 8:23pm

With only two days to go and still no statement of what they re doing-some people will assume they will be doing nothing that they wont be calling for any protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I'll think I'll go on a protest walk to protest about protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Am Chile wrote: »
    With only two days to go and still no statement of what they re doing-some people will assume they will be doing nothing that they wont be calling for any protest.

Why does everyone look to SW? Because, for all the huffing and puffing about Roche and Wyse, they are the nearest thing to a non-political outfit.

But they've bottled it - again. Just like they did when O'Reilly was here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Just seen this on the Save Waterford page on facebook

"We are very disappointed to announce that WLR fm confirmed today that Waterford Regional Hospital is to be grouped with Cork whilst St. Luke's in Kilkenny is to be grouped with St. James in Dublin"

So, are the government burying the bad news on a bank holiday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

You'd think someone on WLR might put it on their website. Doesn't sound right to me that this would be announced on Easter Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

"We are very disappointed to announce that WLR fm confirmed today that Waterford Regional Hospital is to be grouped with Cork whilst St. Luke's in Kilkenny is to be grouped with St. James in Dublin"

In the end the silent walks along the quay really put the frighteners on the government didnt it; I mean walking along in complete silence put the frighteners on ciara conway so much she was openly grinning and laughing that day back in november-quite a few people posted on that save waterford and pointed out the nice soft touch approach they were taking wouldnt get them anywhere only for those comments to be removed-when phil hogan came to waterford save waterford refused to organise a protest-when joan burton came to waterford save waterford refused to organise a protest-and it seems recently when enda kenny came they refused to protest outside the tower hotel-from watching the video of enda kenny thursday no wonder hes laughing cuz he knows most people wont bother protesting.

Am Chile wrote: »
    In the end the silent walks along the quay really put the frighteners on the government didnt it; I mean walking along in complete silence put the frighteners on ciara conway so much she was openly grinning and laughing that day back in november-quite a few people posted on that save waterford and pointed out the nice soft touch approach they were taking wouldnt get them anywhere only for those comments to be removed-when phil hogan came to waterford save waterford refused to organise a protest-when joan burton came to waterford save waterford refused to organise a protest-and it seems recently when enda kenny came they refused to protest outside the tower hotel-from watching the video of enda kenny thursday no wonder hes laughing cuz he knows most people wont bother protesting.

That's about it. Don't bother coming to the hospital when O'Reilly is there they said. Be grand they said. Cue the resident FG fanboys and hacks defence of same.

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

7upfree wrote: »
    Yes.

No.

As I have said in the newest thread;
    Right, so the Sunday Times - an English newspaper - supposedly has the 'leak' before the Irish Media? You must be joking.

The article is a rehash of articles that have appeared in the Irish Media ages ago. Its not saying concretely that it will happen as it says that James Reilly has to go to Cabinet 'late next month'.

Whats new? Nothing. There isn't anything in the start of the article that we see that is new.

Christ almighty talk about scaremongering.

The Cabinet and the Government are on Easter Break today.

Advertisement