Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WRH proposed downgrade - protest on Saturday the 23rd of Feb

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Halligan is going on Deise Am in the morning. He has had since Thursday evening to think up what he will say. It should be Good. Ciara Conway was issued the station with a statement. Nothing new there. Its all she does. Statement after Statement. Deasy appears to be still in hiding and shur Coffey will say something and most people will believe him, a case of the blind leading the blind.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Halligan is going on Deise Am in the morning. He has had since Thursday evening to think up what he will say. It should be Good. Ciara Conway was issued the station with a statement. Nothing new there. Its all she does. Statement after Statement. Deasy appears to be still in hiding and shur Coffey will say something and most people will believe him, a case of the blind leading the blind.

At least Paudie is going on air. This is the second time he has done so on this issue. Not avoiding it or sending in statements. Happy to be hounded by Billy and the listeners.

Paudie is one of many working very hard to sort this out. You cant blame a guy for trying his best and for going on local media to ensure people he isn't running away from the issue.

Sully wrote: »
    At least Paudie is going on air. This is the second time he has done so on this issue. Not avoiding it or sending in statements. Happy to be hounded by Billy and the listeners.

Paudie is one of many working very hard to sort this out. You cant blame a guy for trying his best and for going on local media to ensure people he isn't running away from the issue.

I think we will agree to disagee on this. I know of several people, even the most Fine Gael people that you will get that are fed up with both him and deasy and from the vibes I am getting from them, either will not be getting a vote from them at the next election if they stand. I would go as far as saying from what I am told from these same people, if either were to knock on their door that they will be very brave people, and would want to stand well back in case they have a brush waiting for them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Deise Tom wrote: »
    I think we will agree to disagee on this. I know of several people, even the most Fine Gael people that you will get that are fed up with both him and deasy and from the vibes I am getting from them, either will not be getting a vote from them at the next election if they stand. I would go as far as saying from what I am told from these same people, if either were to knock on their door that they will be very brave people, and would want to stand well back in case they have a brush waiting for them.

Well I guess Waterford is divided. I have heard the opposite (not about Deasy, but about Coffey).

He is doing trojan work on this issue alone - along with other FG members in the area. He has been to a number of meetings on the matter, spoken in the Dail about it ages ago, spoken with the Minister for Health on the matter and spoken in public media to inform people what he is doing. A small sample of his work load on this issue alone.

The problem is that people have a level of expectation and that Paudie should be pulling in thousands of jobs daily. He cant. But he can highlight the issue and house those responsible to get Waterford a better deal. He can lobby SE Ministers who sit at cabinet to ensure Waterford gets a better deal. He can do private constituency work and so on a personal level with people he has and continues to do lots. He has spoken in the Dail on a number of occasions on various issues. He is constantly on local media, even on big issues of the day, not shying away from the spotlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Don't think they were very rocky tbh. They haven't failed to do anything for Waterford that would put their seats at such a huge risk.

I think most people recongise the systematic raping/killing of Waterford by FG/lab - council merger = less money, VEC, lack of jobs/investment added to that national issues. All this and their overall accepting quietness of this would surely mean our TDs seats are gone if there was an election tomorrow.

I dont think some people realise the seriousness of the WRH issue until they are bringing their partner/parent/child to Cork for what used to be routine procedure in WRH. It is indefenceable and will haunt those TDs for as long as they live in Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Bards

Max Powers wrote: »
    I think most people recongise the systematic raping/killing of Waterford by FG/lab - council merger = less money, VEC, lack of jobs/investment added to that national issues. All this and their overall accepting quietness of this would surely mean our TDs seats are gone if there was an election tomorrow.

I dont think some people realise the seriousness of the WRH issue until they are bringing their partner/parent/child to Cork for what used to be routine procedure in WRH. It is indefenceable and will haunt those TDs for as long as they live in Waterford

add to that list the following from the last time FG/Lab were in power...

1.) Move directoror of IDA from Waterford to Cork
    2.) Ambulance service moved out of WRH to Wexford General

so all in all FG/Lab have an envious record of raping Waterford for their own constituencies - Very Selfish and Parish Pump politics of the highest order.

FF moved the following too

ESB Offices to Cork
    Bord Gais to Cork
    Mail Sorting Centre to Cork

SO you can see that Cork has grown at Waterford's expense

and now CORK want WRH etc.

at this stage I think we should have a referendum in Waterford to see if we want to remain part of the Republic or go our own way - Personally I would rather we waved goodbye to the banana republic and declare independece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Bards wrote: »
    add to that list the following from the last time FG/Lab were in power...

1.) Move directoror of IDA from Waterford to Cork
    2.) Ambulance service moved out of WRH to Wexford General

The rainbow coalition moved the ambulance service from WRH to Wexford general? So all ambulances at that time came from Wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Dan133269 wrote: »
    The rainbow coalition moved the ambulance service from WRH to Wexford general? So all ambulances at that time came from Wexford?

Democratic Left (a break away from the Workers Party, who I think in turn are a break away from Sinn Fein, who then merged with Labour), Fine Gael and Labour made up that coalition wasnt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Junior

From Ian Noctor's Twitter account "John Deasy lays the blame for the potential downgrade of WRH at the consulatants feet all on Noctor till 6"

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bookworms

Junior wrote: »
    From Ian Noctor's Twitter account "John Deasy lays the blame for the potential downgrade of WRH at the consulatants feet all on Noctor till 6"

Is this to put the pressure back on consultants given the current "talks" at present?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Junior wrote: »
    I just listened to this, he blames the WRH consultants for not being better at negotiating with consultants in Kilkenny, or something like that. I would've though the actual problem here is the Higgins report recommending the breakup of the South East hospital network.

Also, Deasy didn't explain why he didn't attend the meeting in WIT - just said he told the consultants why he couldn't/wouldn't attend but they didn't pass that information on at the meeting. At the same time he didn't take the opportunity to tell WLR listeners why while he was on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭decies

He had prior arrangements in Dublin or something , noctor had about 3 opportunities to ask him but blew it !!!

"Prior arrangements" is not a suitable excuse for missing such an important meeting. He said stuff about a need for an open debate about the issue - well, if he attended the bloody meeting maybe he could've raised his opinions and had that debate!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

He was attending the Public Accounts Committee, the guy from the hospital just said it,

So Deasy thinks a PAC meeting is more important than a meeting about downgrading WRH. Okay, at least we know his priorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭banjacksed

Will this be the straw that breaks the waterford peoples back ? im not political, But it's just taking the ****ing piss.
    All those politicians dont give a **** about the ****e waterford people have to endure. They got their jobs have their salary. thank you waterford. They should be ashamed of themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

AdMMM wrote: »
    Has anyone considered that this could be a nice kite that's being flown that threatens doomsday for the hospital but then after some "trojan" work by the Government TD's they can come out and say that they have secured the hospitals future?

It's one of the only ways that Government TD's can create victories in constituencies in times of austerity. By threatening cuts that are never going to happen, they can then claim credit for when it's announced that they aren't actually happening.

Could be one of those things where the cuts end up not being as bad as first reported but there is cuts, nonetheless it's seen a a victory for hard working politicians. :sigh

banjacksed wrote: »
    Will this be the straw that breaks the waterford peoples back ? im not political, But it's just taking the ****ing piss.
    All those politicians dont give a **** about the ****e waterford people have to endure. They got their jobs have their salary. thank you waterford. They should be ashamed of themselves

'All' is inaccurate. Some do care.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭banjacksed

'All' is inaccurate. Some do care.

Yeah the ones that are not in government :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

JPA wrote: »

Could be one of those things where the cuts end up not being as bad as first reported but there is cuts, nonetheless it's seen a a victory for hard working politicians. :sigh

I suggested exactly that to a guy at work about an hour ago. I'm half expecting rejoicing when we find out we're just losing some significant services. It's utterly depressing. Parish politics is a lot of what is wrong with this country and now that we're down and out as a country you'd think we might reform? Not a chance. I'm almost expecting some of the wit to be moved to kk or wexford soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Services will be lost to Cork and Dublin , and you are still obsessed with Kilkenny and Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Swissarmyknife

Wish we had David Cullinane as one of our TD'S representing us.
    We really need a strong voice strongly protesting against these attacks on our City and County.

Wish we had David Cullinane as one of our TD'S representing us.
    We really need a strong voice strongly protesting against these attacks on our City and County.

You do. Plus, the government TDs don't listen to Cullinane or Sinn Fein. Hardly anybody does.

You do. Plus, the government TDs don't listen to Cullinane or Sinn Fein. Hardly anybody does.

Not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The fun of irish politics. The only power is with ministers.
    Anyone else in parties have a choice. Do what the party says to try work yourself up to be picked as a minister or go against the party and be ignored. But never make an unpopular decision in your own constituency unless you can take credit for something else because you might not be re-elected.
    If in opposition or independent(in most cases) then youre also powerless so just bitch and moan and whinge even though you wont change anything. More wastes of space.
    The entire idea of a political party is weird to me. People shouldnt be able to categorize their entire belief system enough so that you can pick an organisation that you agree with enough to join and follow everything they say. Its just very sheepish.

Not true.

Yes it is. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Not true.

Oh yes it is (true)......we are getting near Xmas

• Advertisement

Yes it is. :)

Bless,even the biggest of begrudgers wont begrudge him this.

"THE Joint Oireachtas Committee on Jobs, Enterprise and Employment has given its backing to a proposal from Waterford Senator David Cullinane to bring forward a major Jobs Action Plan for the South-East.
    Senator Cullinane has been appointed as the Special Rapporteur and will carry out the extensive consultations with stakeholders from across the region.
    Senator Cullinane said:
    “The South-East has one of the highest unemployment rates in the state at over 19%. It is clear that not enough is being done to create jobs in the region.”
    As Special Rapporteur David Culinane will lead the consultations with all of the relevant stakeholders, including city and county managers, the South East Regional Authority, City and County Enterprise Boards, Enterprise Ireland, IDA, Chambers of Commerce, trade unions, organisations for the unemployed, Údarás na Gaeltachta, other business groups, local development companies, fishing and farming organisations, education providers, elected representatives, community and voluntary groups and the unemployed.
    Senator Cullinane said:
    “The objective is to build on existing plans such as the South-East Unemployment Action Plan and the work of the South-East Employment Forum. It is crucial that the plan is comprehensive, credible, realistic and deliverable.
    “It is vital that the key recommendations are implemented in full and that we all do what we can to bring jobs to Waterford and the South-East.”

Advertisement