Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency Call Taker & Emergency Medical Dispatcher

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mad for road

Check out HSE site guys. New recruitment for call taker and dispatch launched today.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Check out HSE site guys. New recruitment for call taker and dispatch launched today.

I've posted the relevant link in a new thread. Please note these positions are for persons already qualified in the roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

I wonder how many qualified emd's and ect's there are knocking around looking for work. Time to send a hefty email to manorhamilton to seek clarification.

I would like to know if they will be put ahead of us on the panel from the recent recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 doggystyle

I have this from a fairly reliable source.....
    Apparently there were quite a few agency staff working in control rooms who had to apply to HSE to keep their jobs. These are the "qualified" call takers and despatchers that the hse advertised for...
    Why, you may ask, are they advertising NOW for qualified staff?
    Because most of them failed at application or interview stage...so now, those of us succesful to panel stage are getting a right good shafting!!
    Best ambulance service in the world...lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭NonBeliever14

Never fails to amaze me how individuals whom are dissatisfied with NAS as an employer before they join continue to seek employment and then become disgruntled on the inside. If it doesn't suit you from the outside, it probably won't from the inside either.

• Advertisement

I'd like an expression of interest this month, im getting bored of my current job.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭anndub

I'd like an expression of interest this month, im getting bored of my current job.

What panel are you?

Dublin panel for the dispatcher position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Wouldn't hold your breath, with the next dispatch class starting in 2 weeks and the formation of a new panel via the hse site under way, I don't foresee any expressions of interest anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ox?gen

As it turns out, I got offered an ECT job in Ballyshannon (pending medical, references etc) due to start in July and I'm just wondering if anyone who has recently trained in Dublin could tell me if it takes place in Phoenix Park or Tallaght? I'm from Galway, so I'm trying to get accommodation sorted! I'm from the panel that started in October 2012 so it's been a looooong wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,991 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You sure it's in Dublin and not in Ballinasloe?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭thebomb

The person that takes the initial 999 call asks caller do you need Garda, ambulance, fire or coastguard when caller states which service they need e.g. garda you transfer to the garda once you can hear the call has been successfully transferred and that there both talking you end the call... a dispatcher is different

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ox?gen

flazio wrote: »
    You sure it's in Dublin and not in Ballinasloe?

Nope, I just assumed! I thought the last few groups were trained in Dublin, or partially Ballinasloe? It'd be great if it was in Ballinasloe, I could commute up and down! I'm pulling the cart before the horse really, I just sent back my occupational health forms!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Titanucd

thebomb wrote: »
    The person that takes the initial 999 call asks caller do you need Garda, ambulance, fire or coastguard when caller states which service they need e.g. garda you transfer to the garda once you can hear the call has been successfully transferred and that there both talking you end the call... a dispatcher is different

Bit random that! You're mixing up ECAS and ambulance/Garda/fire control there to an extent.

Ecas do the first bit and the call taker in the control room does the actual handling of the call while a dispatcher actually sends the resource etc.

Even people hired as dispatchers have to start as call takers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 C Chambers

ox?gen wrote: »
    As it turns out, I got offered an ECT job in Ballyshannon (pending medical, references etc) due to start in July and I'm just wondering if anyone who has recently trained in Dublin could tell me if it takes place in Phoenix Park or Tallaght? I'm from Galway, so I'm trying to get accommodation sorted! I'm from the panel that started in October 2012 so it's been a looooong wait!

Hey there ox?gen, congrats!
    I have also been offered ECT job (pending checks etc) in Ballyshannon with training to start in July. They haven't said yet where training will be but people on boards have mentioned its either Dublin or Ballinasloe where training takes place. I am from the same panel in 2012, I thought I would never hear anything from them its been so bloody long, but finally it has come it has been such a long wait.
    I'm delighted :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

Training is usually 2 weeks in Ballinasloe then the rest of the time in the Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Numtum

Hi Guys,
    Can anyone tell me the best way to get to the ambulance college in phoenix park - If I get the train to Heuston what is my best mode of transport to the college? Also contemplating driving - is there enough parking there?
    Thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Numtum wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Can anyone tell me the best way to get to the ambulance college in phoenix park - If I get the train to Heuston what is my best mode of transport to the college? Also contemplating driving - is there enough parking there?
    Thanks for any help

You would walk it in about 30 minutes, depending on your fitness levels I guess. It is shorter to go through the main gate but a more direct route from Heuston station is across the Liffey, left into Parkgate Street then on up Conyngham Road, passing the main gate of the park, go onto the second traffic gate (the third gate if you count the main gates) further along the road, turn in there and you will see St. Mary's Hospital up the hill in front of you, the college is in the same grounds.
    There is plenty ample parking, if you're early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 richsam

hello all.

apparently i have been recomended to proceed on this panel for emergency call taker.for the dublin north leinster region. i have been on the panel since 2012!

this is all quite mad to see that after all this time that it looks like i may begin training in july, pending on references etc..

anybody currently employed or in training at the mo out there to give me a feel of what it's like? it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Numtum

Bang Bang wrote: »
    You would walk it in about 30 minutes, depending on your fitness levels I guess. It is shorter to go through the main gate but a more direct route from Heuston station is across the Liffey, left into Parkgate Street then on up Conyngham Road, passing the main gate of the park, go onto the second traffic gate (the third gate if you count the main gates) further along the road, turn in there and you will see St. Mary's Hospital up the hill in front of you, the college is in the same grounds.
    There is plenty ample parking, if you're early.

Are there daily car park charges or cud I get a weekly pass? Think it might be easier driving in the first week anyway and see what happens...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Titanucd

Numtum wrote: »
    Are there daily car park charges or cud I get a weekly pass? Think it might be easier driving in the first week anyway and see what happens...

Parking is free in the hospital grounds where the training takes place. Far better to drive. Walking Is overrated!😄

what stage are the current classes at now? how many have actually gone through so far?

4 dispatchers and one call taker in training at the moment.

Panel of 32 dispatchers formed from the jobs that were advertised on the HSE site live from this week.

i had forgotten about the other recruitment drive. lets hope myself and others on the panel get hired before the panel expires in febuary 2015(7 months)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Steps Lightly

Hi all

Just came across this thread/post.

Have a close friend who is a " call taker " , though not a " dispatcher " definitely not a job for me...either of them..

Hope your superiors appreciate the work you do..

The rest of the country does, or should !!

Cheers

has a class just started/ is due to start from the "already qualified" panel?

Not as of yet.

im hopeful that in the coming months they will start training, it just depends on which panel they take from. Ive been told 3 proposed dates.

I'm moving on, so not too concerned anymore :P

• Advertisement

There should be some movement soon, especially if there's any call takers still on panels etc...with me leaving and one or two new recruits not completing training, recruitment should be fairly consistent as they need to fill gaps.

Advertisement