Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency Call Taker & Emergency Medical Dispatcher

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Howdy101

Yeah that's what has me confused now. I do recall the letter confirming panel placement said on the ballyshannon panel though, but again that would make them particularly large panels. I hope the expect to exhaust them!

Yeah I have the letter here and it does say ballyshannon panel so I really don't know what to think..
    I heard they do normally exhaust the panels anyway, fingers crossed they really do :) I can't wait to get started.

Well that would nearly do me, knowing that the likelihood would be actually securing a job from this! I heard that myself, but I was confused by the previous panel taking precedence over the new panel statements during the recruitment process. I suppose they could be sill in process of exhausting the previous panel too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DigginAMole

Are we sure that only 1 position is going Dublin? It never specified how many positions were going on the Dublin notice but it did on the ballyshannon one...

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

The email did say 1 post in north dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Emkla11

Terrible recruitment process, I was delighted to place quite high on Dublin panel, but following further research & phone call to manorhamilton I have realised the likelihood of achieving a position from this campaign is highly unlikely especially given pre existing panel still being drawn from, it's typically Irish really, off to UK to pursue ambulance service job me thinks.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

Emkla11 wrote: »
    Terrible recruitment process, I was delighted to place quite high on Dublin panel, but following further research & phone call to manorhamilton I have realised the likelihood of achieving a position from this campaign is highly unlikely especially given pre existing panel still being drawn from, it's typically Irish really, off to UK to pursue ambulance service job me thinks.....

roughly how high on the panel? ie top 10 or top 20??
    how many did they say was on the pre exsisting panel? i have heard that there may only be 3 or 4 left on the old panel.

keep the faith, with some new things happening in the service i can see them needing alot more dispatchers this summer;)

top 20....i hear what your'e saying about keeping the faith, but I'm beginning to question the sense in hanging around until the summer or worse, this time next year in the HOPE that I may get a job i really want???? I hope you are right in that the service will need a substantial amount of recruitment but the uncertainty of it all makes me wonder if it's wise to wait around, we have been told nothing about potential recruitment....not having a rant, just mulling over the options...

What ''new'' thing happening in the service are you referring to btw

What ''new'' thing happening in the service are you referring to btw

well the hot rumour at the moment is that the n.a.s will be taking over the call taking for all ambulance calls( where as it stands now the dfb take the majority of calls for dublin) when tallaght goes opperational, then the possibility of the dfb loosing the ambulance service provision for dublin in the coming years will potentially add to the work load of the n.a.s.
    again all rumors to be taken with a pinch of salt...

I knew when i applied for this position back in october i think it was that there may be a good long wait ahead of me, ask anyone who has ever sat on a panel at the lower end, you could be 2+ years waiting. thats what we get i suppose for applying for a job with the hse:D

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

All those people higher up on the panel than you won't necessarily all take the job. Some may have applied to multiple jobs. ie the call taker positions with DFB. Some on the NAS panel may of taken the DFB job . So please keep the faith. Don't be disheartened by your panel number or how many you think are on the old panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Lindyluu

What I believe is that by the end of the yr they are hoping to have castlebar closed and I think a lot that are working there are agency staff! But that's all hear say!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

There's absolutely no way of knowing what they will do regarding this campaign. As it stands they need more than a handful of dispatchers in Townsend St...and they offer one position. It makes no sense. Adding to that the time it takes to get the dispatch certification.....it's more than a year before you'll be a fully fledged dispatcher, so take everything you hear with a tiny pinch of salt, regardless whether it's from manorhamilton etc. Top 20 is v good, and once tallaght opens I expect there will be heavy pull from this panel, so as Tripp mentioned, be happy with your position, pursue other avenues on the meantime, and see where you are when the offer comes your way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

I often wonder just how much research candidates put into the process of recruitment into the National Ambulance Service. It can be quite irritating to read comments on here slating and complaining about how the panel is being drawn from or how Manorhamilton are not calling you everyday to invite you to dinner and fill you in on the latest campaign.
    Would you rather the NAS wait until panels are exhausted before starting a recruitment campaign again, prolonging the timeframe for you to take up a new career?

Currently the National Ambulance Service are coordinating the next Paramedic class, another paramedic class are currently on their intern year. There is ongoing recruitment and training of ICO's. One Advanced Paramedic class have just qualified with another out on their clinical placements. Another Advanced Paramedic class is starting next month and another in September. There is ongoing training of new call takers and dispatchers with preparations ongoing for the next phase from the new panel.
    Not bad for a service with a "Terrible recruitment process"!

If you're looking to the UK then I hope you research their process a little more than you researched the "typically Irish" NAS process. Be thankful of your remarkable achievement of qualifying so high on a panel, I bet there are many out there would look at your position with envy, and probably more patience too;)

how long does it normally take to hear back from expressions of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

They've already begun processing the candidate from the expression of interest that went out last week. There was only one position offered in Leinster Region.

Einstein wrote: »
    They've already begun processing the candidate from the expression of interest that went out last week. There was only one position offered in Leinster Region.

oh, i was expecting an email to say someone higher on the panel has filled the position etc... hopefully the next class isnt to far down the road

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dutch999

Hi all, im sure it was prob covered somewhere in these pages but if anyone could help answer a few questions I would appreciate it. Im starting 14 weeks training in dublin on monday and then getting placed back in ballyshannon control, was just wondering when/if I get paid anything during training ? Currently receiving job seekers and wondering when do I sign off as contract states 'employment commences 24th march'. Would make life easier if I knew I had a few quid coming in a few weeks.... cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

dutch999 wrote: »
    Hi all, im sure it was prob covered somewhere in these pages but if anyone could help answer a few questions I would appreciate it. Im starting 14 weeks training in dublin on monday and then getting placed back in ballyshannon control, was just wondering when/if I get paid anything during training ? Currently receiving job seekers and wondering when do I sign off as contract states 'employment commences 24th march'. Would make life easier if I knew I had a few quid coming in a few weeks.... cheers :)

You will be on the payroll with effect from your starting date. You work in arrears and get pay every two weeks. Depending on what part of the pay cycle you start on I would budget at not getting your first wage for three weeks, although this could fall to two weeks, again depending on where you start on the pay cycle.

The best of luck.

Bang Bang wrote: »
    You will be on the payroll with effect from your starting date. You work in arrears and get pay every two weeks. Depending on what part of the pay cycle you start on I would budget at not getting your first wage for three weeks, although this could fall to two weeks, again depending on where you start on the pay cycle.
    The best of luck.

Thats brilliant thaught I wouldnt get anything until training was completed, thanks again.

Thats brilliant thaught I wouldnt get anything until training was completed, thanks again.

Congrats and well done! Just wondering was this is from the 4 positions that went out in early march? Best of luck with the training!

• Advertisement

Lindyluu wrote: »
    Congrats and well done! Just wondering was this is from the 4 positions that went out in early march? Best of luck with the training!

No, I went for the interviews for dispatcher last month but didnt even make the pannel. Got the call takers job I applied for well over a year ago, had been sitting on the pannel a very long time and was a long process but very happy things are coming together now.

No, I went for the interviews for dispatcher last month but didnt even make the pannel. Got the call takers job I applied for well over a year ago, had been sitting on the pannel a very long time and was a long process but very happy things are coming together now.

I was thinking that was too fast for dispatcher! Thanks for reply and hopefully might be working along side you some day! Best of luck

Congrats, i applied for that position myself all that time ago, didnt think anyone was left on that panel. That was a really long wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Numtum

Well done on ur new job..how r u guys going about accommodation for the 14 weeks training? Are there any discounts available to NAS staff in hotels or b&bs...it will b so expensive if u don't have anyone to stay with

Numtum wrote: »
    Well done on ur new job..how r u guys going about accommodation for the 14 weeks training? Are there any discounts available to NAS staff in hotels or b&bs...it will b so expensive if u don't have anyone to stay with

Staying with a family member in rathmines, fair bit of traveling every day but had no other choice. Rang the suggested hotels etc but they were still very expensive.... aprox 220 a week with no breakfast....

Staying with a family member in rathmines, fair bit of traveling every day but had no other choice. Rang the suggested hotels etc but they were still very expensive.... aprox 220 a week with no breakfast....

It's so expensive..for 14 weeks. Bound to b something that could b cheaper than that. I seen on another thread that there is cheap accommodation in ballinasloe when the training is there...maybe someone cud give some options :-)

Is anyone still in the recruitment process for the dispatcher posts - 1 Dublin & 4 Ballyshannon?

Numtum wrote: »
    Is anyone still in the recruitment process for the dispatcher posts - 1 Dublin & 4 Ballyshannon?
    i.e the medical and reference checks??

i.e the medical and reference checks??

Yep - How long does the process of reference checks etc take? Things seem to have happened quite fast from being placed on the panel - Hope all is going well for everyone doing their training that started yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 BallyGMan

Any1 any advice for someone taking up the call taker role on 18th May?

What's the starting salary like?

How's the role going?

What's the training like?

Advertisement