Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency Call Taker & Emergency Medical Dispatcher

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭flanna

deelite wrote: »
    Did the assessment - call taker part was not my greatest moment. Typing part was the better part of the test for me.

22 at test although, one man had come was doing the test but he was going for one of the jobs in Dublin.

Told we would get our results next Friday.

Aren't all the jobs eventually going to be in Dublin and Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭medic780

flanna wrote: »

Aren't all the jobs eventually going to be in Dublin and Donegal?
    Yes eventually all the jobs will be in Dublin and Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭touge_drift

is today the last day of assessments?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Yes according to the familiarisation paper assessments were only 22 and 23 november.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭flazio

While we are waiting for results, quick straw poll of preference. Given the choice where would you like to be based? Ballyshannon or Tallaght?
    Me, Tallaght.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

flazio wrote: »
    While we are waiting for results, quick straw poll of preference. Given the choice where would you like to be based? Ballyshannon or Tallaght?
    Me, Tallaght.

Tallaght

Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Tallaght too

tallaght too, although it's likely that wont be fully opperational for a while yet and we may have to do our training (if we make it) in tullamore or elsewhere.

flazio wrote: »
    Me, Tallaght.

Tallaght, moving from Limerick all things going well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 BallyGMan

Same going for Tallaght, would be moving up from Limerick too

Had half of 2 numbers in the Note Taking section so rubbed them out to try and avoid negative marking

• Registered Users Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭flazio

With one of the names, I managed to catch the surname but not the first name, so I put 'Mr.' in front of it.

i know they said friday the 30th for the results, but id love to be put out of misery now and find out.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

I did this test. Didn't think the call taking part was too bad. I know for sure I got one part wrong though. Thought the typing test was a little primitive. Any typing test I've done before was using an actual typing test program. I'm hoping for Tallaght too. Roll on Friday!

WildRosie wrote: »
    I did this test. Didn't think the call taking part was too bad. I know for sure I got one part wrong though. Thought the typing test was a little primitive. Any typing test I've done before was using an actual typing test program. I'm hoping for Tallaght too. Roll on Friday!
    yeah i thought that too, typing it on note pad was a bit odd. I had assumed it would of been the same program as the initial typing test was on. With that presented infront of me i decided to go for 100% accuracy and let my speed suffer a wee bit. i was thinking it must just be someone counting the words and doing the sums on a calculator to get our wpm.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mad for road

Don't know how I'm feelin about this exam. Think I may have it passed to but I'm sure like every other national recruitment, they'll prob take the first eg150 so it's all about making the cutoff point.

Just a thought, from watching 999 emergency programmes from England and others, the call taker people need to have a good level of medical skills to talk a caller through CPR or things like that. I'm an EMT and know my ****, would feel hard done by if I was to fall on a wpm typing test.

I know that whoever gets these jobs will be trained up in medical skills too. Just a balls that ur computer skills are called into question straight away before the recruiters know anything about the person.

Anyways. Here's to good results on Friday and beat wishes to everyone that passes these assessments

yeah i thought that too, typing it on note pad was a bit odd. I had assumed it would of been the same program as the initial typing test was on. With that presented infront of me i decided to go for 100% accuracy and let my speed suffer a wee bit. i was thinking it must just be someone counting the words and doing the sums on a calculator to get our wpm.

Didn't think about that how they were going to calculate the wpm. Maybe they were just checking to see if it was actually you who did the original on line test - most of the marks may go on the call taker part ( just guessing really). Unless there's a possibility that some people are faster typists than writers.

Wonder will it be late on Friday when we find out. Best of luck to everybody waiting xxxx

Don't know how I'm feelin about this exam. Think I may have it passed to but I'm sure like every other national recruitment, they'll prob take the first eg150 so it's all about making the cutoff point.

Just a thought, from watching 999 emergency programmes from England and others, the call taker people need to have a good level of medical skills to talk a caller through CPR or things like that. I'm an EMT and know my ****, would feel hard done by if I was to fall on a wpm typing test.

I know that whoever gets these jobs will be trained up in medical skills too. Just a balls that ur computer skills are called into question straight away before the recruiters know anything about the person.

Anyways. Here's to good results on Friday and beat wishes to everyone that passes these assessments

Totally agree with you I'm an EMT too, ok yes you need to get the correct info quickly to the EMD but after the resources have been dispatched there would be a lot of cases when you have to stay on the line and talk the caller through what to do next and gather more info for the crew responding.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

I know that whoever gets these jobs will be trained up in medical skills too.

The only medical training you may receive is to the level of CFR on a one day course, this is because you need a minimum level of CFR to be licensed to use the AMPDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭antichrist

Totally agree with you I'm an EMT too, ok yes you need to get the correct info quickly to the EMD but after the resources have been dispatched there would be a lot of cases when you have to stay on the line and talk the caller through what to do next and gather more info for the crew responding.

Studies have shown that emd's that were previously practitioners tend to try diagnose the pt over the phone. It's better to have controllers with little medical knowledge as they stick to the pretyped script and don't try second guess what's going on.

No offence to emt training but what experience do you have prehospital? how often have you done cpr on a person? Are you 100% sure your advice is the correct advice for the situation?

Not just directed at you flanna but mad for road too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭stevie06

You don't require any medical training past CFR for being a call taker, all the prompts for talking through situations like CPR are part of the script, these program's are designed for a lay person to use and as said before works more efficiently when the call taker doesn't try and deviate from the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

Yup, using Word Count feature on Wordpad and dividing by 10 (ten minutes) is your WPM answer.

best of luck to everyone. anyone else clicking refresh every 30 seconds on their email?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭B2deF

Still no results for me

Anyone get theres?

Nothing but I think they will text you to tell you there's an email gone to you

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

Nothing yet for me either.

I have a feeling it's going to be closer to 5pm before we start seeing emails :-(

best of luck to everyone. anyone else clicking refresh every 30 seconds on their email?

No but get a slight panic attack everytime my phone blips to tell me there's an email :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mad for road

No but get a slight panic attack everytime my phone blips to tell me there's an email :eek:

I feel ur pain. Lord god groupon and boots do send out a lot of shot emails on a Friday.

Not checking my emails any more until I get the warning text

• Advertisement

Oh Come on!!! This is torture!!!

Advertisement