Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Radio

Options

Comments

johnplayer wrote: »
    Tipp FM are advertising for new “ full time “ presenters ?

Who’s leaving ?

Why would you think anyone here would know tbe answer to that?..Clare FM are also looking for presenters..both adverts say full time presenters,but I would think its just a search for new talent,for future programme cover..I could be wrong though...

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭johnplayer

So you're saying they are advertising for full time part timers lol

Didn't upset me at all . Just not sure why you'd suggest I lied about something ? I didn't know what music they played at that part of the day when posting then . I never claimed to know much about the station but I'm close to someone who does and they told me about the changes in the pipeline and as I stated its common knowledge amongst the staff . I don't get what the issue is ?

You will have to ask that person that you are close to,if he/she knows why they are looking for new presenters,and who might be leaving..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

ah and tw

ah and tw

?????

• Advertisement

ah and tw

Alison Hyland has gone to 96 fm...I saw that on her FB page...Trudy is supposed to leave as well.
    Alison is the second to head 96fm way..Lorraine who was on breakfast is now with 96 fm Cork...Which is a great move for both...

Whats Ah and TW ?

@johnplayer

Alison Hyland
    Trudy Waters

?????

Alison Hyland
    Trudy Waters

• Advertisement

What presenter loses a slot,to make way for this new programme ?

What presenter loses a slot,to make way for this new programme ?

Good question . Who’s normally on at that time on a Saturday ?

The latest JNLR, Ipsos, MRBI listenership figures have been released and Tipp FM has increased its listenership stronghold across the Premier County with over 65,000 listening every week.

Tipp FM’s Daily reach also increased by 1% bringing its Daily reach to 34%.

Tipp Today continues to be the number one choice for adults in Tipperary with over 40,000 tuning in each day.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

As it had gone off topic, I'm deleting some posts. Local radio only please. Jobs outside of radio I don't think is related, unless it's being broadcast about.

Updated clarification, as I've received a message on this.

I deleted those messages as they aren't about local radio. They were about a business that someone runs separately from any radio station.

Radio Kerry buys Clare FM and Tipp FM
    Deal done for undisclosed sum with Radio Kerry already owning Shannonside and Northern Sound
    The board of Clare Community Radio Holdings, operators of Clare FM and owners of a controlling interest in Tipp FM, has approved an offer from Radio Kerry Holdings to buy the two stations.
    The board of Clare Community Radio Holdings, operators of Clare FM and owners of a controlling interest in Tipp FM, has approved an offer from Radio Kerry Holdings to buy the two stations.

Radio Kerry is set to add two more stations to its portfolio with the acquisition of Clare FM and Tipp FM.

The board of Clare Community Radio Holdings, operators of Clare FM and owners of a controlling interest in Tipp FM, approved an offer from Radio Kerry Holdings to buy the two stations.

The deal, for an undisclosed sum, follows the acquisition by Clare Community Radio Holdings of a significant majority stake in Tipp FM in 2013.

Clare FM, which was established in 1989, was among the first wave of local stations to receive a broadcast licence from the Independent Radio and Television Commission (now Broadcasting Authority of Ireland).

Over the past three decades, Clare FM established itself as a leader in local radio and has been the recipient of major broadcasting awards on national and international stages. Clare FM and Tipp FM together employ 45 full-time and 30 part-time staff.

Commenting on the merger, Liam O’Shea, managing director of Clare FM and Tipp FM and a major shareholder in both stations, said: “The board of Clare FM is recommending acceptance of the offer to their shareholders. Both offers are subject to shareholder and regulatory approval.

“We feel that, in a changing media environment, it will provide the necessary stability to grow our already successful stations into the future as part of a dynamic broadcasting entity. Key benefits of this deal are that it will underline a commitment to local radio, benefit our staff and our listeners.”

Radio Kerry, named Ireland’s Local Radio Station of the Year on five occasions, was established in 1990 and also owns Shannonside and Northern Sound, which broadcasts to Longford, Roscommon, Leitrim, Cavan and Monaghan.

Radio Kerry chief executive Paul Byrne said: “The decision is being made to be proactively involved in the future development of the radio and media industry in Ireland and to create new opportunities for staff, advertisers and listeners.”

Also commenting on the merger, Radio Kerry chairman, Tim O Keeffe said: “The shareholders and management team at Radio Kerry have common objectives as Clare FM and Tipp FM in protecting and promoting the local radio sector. It is the belief of all involved that this would strengthen and secure the future of all stations.”

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

Is this takeover a good or a bad thing for TippFM?

Jim Bowen wrote: »
    Is this takeover a good or a bad thing for TippFM?

Well the last takeover didnt go so well..Radio Kerry also have 2 other stations..Its the death of local radii..I dont think it should be an option anyway..If you cant run your own station,give back the licence. Denis o brien must have shares in about 4 or 5.And the wireless group have about six....They should let Tipp Mid West have a county wide licence...At least they are a community station....But all that is just my opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

Not sure if it makes any difference but Paul Byrne, CEO of Radio Kerry, is originally from Carrick on Suir, probably started his radio career in CBC in Clonmel, and started his managerial career in radio at........ Tipp FM in the early 1990s.

Radio Kerry's listenership reach is 47 per cent, according to the last JNLR book.

Tipp FM's is 34 per cent.

Nice little payday for some people then from the €2.67m paid for both stations.

Liam O’Shea will be one of the main beneficiaries and stands to receive €154,762 from the deal.

Clare FM General Manager Susan Murphy - €75,000 .

Managing Director at The Clare Champion John Galvin, who is due to receive €90,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

Liam O’Shea will be one of the main beneficiaries and stands to receive €154,762 from the deal.

Managing Director at The Clare Champion John Galvin, who is due to receive €90,000.

They'll all be paying 33 per cent Capital Gains Tax on that would ya think? 😀

2.67 million Euro doesn't seem like an awful lot for 2 radio stations with no local competition and most of a decade to run on their licenses.

Are there debts along with them, would anyone know?

• Advertisement

Where is that information?..When it was said it was an undisclosed sum,I didnt think it would possible to find out what the amount was..

Of course it’s possible to find these things out. .

THE CATHOLIC CHURCH, the GAA, a number of priests and hundreds of Clare citizens are to share in a €2.67 million windfall from the sale of Clare FM and a controlling interest in Tipp FM to Radio Kerry.

The price was revealed after it emerged that Radio Kerry is offering €7.50 per share for the purchase of Clare Community Radio Holdings plc.

The €2.67 million price is significantly less than the €7.2 million or €20 per share Radio Kerry had offered to buy Clare FM in a planned deal which collapsed in 2008.

In a letter to over 500 shareholders, chairman of Clare Community Radio Holdings plc, Maurice Harvey stated that the board is recommending acceptance of the fresh offer and has given shareholders until 31 January to give their response.

In the letter, Harvey told shareholders that the board is recommending the offer “as consolidation within the industry will strengthen and secure the future of all involved”.

Harvey said that Radio Kerry and Clare Community Radio Holdings plc “have forged a close working relationship over the years and share the same local ethos and values”.

He added that the transaction – subject to approval from the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI) – is likely to be complete in the first half of this year.

Most of the shareholders in the up until now locally-owned Clare Community Radio Holdings plc own shareholdings or 50 and 100 shares.

They were purchased for €1.27 each almost three decades ago and the owners of the shares now stand to gain between €375 and €750 for those shares.

However, a number of the members of the board of Clare Community Radio Holdings are set to benefit handsomely from the sale.

Managing Director of Clare FM and board member at the Shannon Group, Liam O’Shea, will be one of the main beneficiaries and stands to receive €154,762 from the deal.

A brother of former Tipperary hurling manager, Eamon O’Shea, Liam O’Shea has been at the helm at Clare FM since 1998 and oversaw the station’s purchase of Tipp FM where he is also MD.

Other board members in line for welcome payouts include General Manager at Clare FM, Susan Murphy who is due to receive €75,000 and the Managing Director of The Clare Champion, John Galvin who is due to receive €90,000.

Founding chief executive with Clare FM in 1989, Caimin Jones said today that the price offered by Radio Kerry “is realistic and fair in terms of the challenges currently faced by the media industry”.

Jones said that it is ironic that Clare FM was passing out of local control 30 years after it was established in 1989.

A shareholder with Clare Community Radio Holdings, Jones said that his head would be ruling his heart and he will be accepting the offer. He said: “Radio Kerry and Clare FM are a good fit.”

As part of the planned sale, Clare GAA is set to receive €37,500 from its shareholding while the Diocese of Killaloe is set to receive €70,500.

In addition, a number of priests who bought shares are to receive sums ranging from €750 to €2,625 while former TD, Dr Moosajee Bhamjee, is set to receive €1,125 for his minor shareholding.

The most recent accounts for the Clare FM firm show that it recorded a pre-tax loss of €180,566 in 2017 after revenues dipped marginally to €1.61 million.

However, the loss takes into account the company writing off €300,000 in an investment and non-cash depreciation costs of €103,085.

Jesus..That Helen woman they have on now would wreck your head....and she is on moaning every week...Same people on every week whinging about the same old things....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭7znbd9xmoiupye

Expunge wrote: »
    Not sure if it makes any difference but Paul Byrne, CEO of Radio Kerry, is originally from Carrick on Suir, probably started his radio career in CBC in Clonmel, and started his managerial career in radio at........ Tipp FM in the early 1990s.

Radio Kerry's listenership reach is 47 per cent, according to the last JNLR book.

Tipp FM's is 34 per cent.
    it doesnt make any differnce

it doesnt make any differnce

Why??

Why??
    what difference does it make who he is? ther e is no local radio in clonmel now. owned by clare and sold to kerry, joke. it is not a community radio or represent a nything only corporate buying and selling

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

Jesus..That Helen woman they have on now would wreck your head....and she is on moaning every week...Same people on every week whinging about the same old things....

I heard a bit of the Friday panel yesterday and the apologists for drunk driving on it were a disgrace and not being challenged by the presenter either. Death of rural Ireland etc etc. One guy said ‘I’m not saying it’s okay to drive after 7 or 8 pints but....’

Jesus wept!

Jim Bowen wrote: »
    I heard a bit of the Friday panel yesterday and the apologists for drunk driving on it were a disgrace and not being challenged by the presenter either. Death of rural Ireland etc etc. One guy said ‘I’m not saying it’s okay to drive after 7 or 8 pints but....’

Jesus wept!
    make a complaint to BAI. he is obliged to challenge them.

• Advertisement

what difference does it make who he is? ther e is no local radio in clonmel now. owned by clare and sold to kerry, joke. it is not a community radio or represent a nything only corporate buying and selling

Surely if Kerry buys the station,they will try to improve it,to get more listeners.They are hardly buying it just for the sake of buying it...

Advertisement