Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Radio

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭7znbd9xmoiupye

Surely if Kerry buys the station,they will try to improve it,to get more listeners.They are hardly buying it just for the sake of buying it...
    you said yourself
    Its the death of local radii..I dont think it should be an option anyway..If you cant run your own station,give back the licence
    and
    They should let Tipp Mid West have a county wide licence...At least they are a community station..

who is the helen woman? is she the one with a sort of northern accent?

you said yourself
    and

who is the helen woman? is she the one with a sort of northern accent?

Yeah I am aware of what I posted and know the amount of stations owned by the likes of Dennis O' B etc..Its more in hope I am,that the local station would improve...Yes that Helen woman has an northern accent...

Yeah I am aware of what I posted and know the amount of stations owned by the likes of Dennis O' B etc..Its more in hope I am,that the local station would improve...Yes that Helen woman has an northern accent...
    i doubt it, all about money now. it is not community radio. even the people not being questioned about the drinking is because they do not want to upset their advertisers many of whom are tied to the drinks industry. none of the items featured are ever really researched, most of the guests just spin unquestioned

it is not community radio.And not journalism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Jim Bowen wrote:
    I heard a bit of the Friday panel yesterday and the apologists for drunk driving on it were a disgrace and not being challenged by the presenter either. Death of rural Ireland etc etc. One guy said ‘I’m not saying it’s okay to drive after 7 or 8 pints but....’

Tipp Fm are looking for people to go on the Friday panel. Good opportunity for all who know how to improve the station. Bit different than preaching anonymously on the internet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭johnplayer

Tipp Fm are looking for people to go on the Friday panel. Good opportunity for all who know how to improve the station. Bit different than preaching anonymously on the internet though.

What’s the Friday Panel ? I’m presume it’s like what’s done on Sean O Rourke ?

• Advertisement

johnplayer wrote: »
    What’s the Friday Panel ? I’m presume it’s like what’s done on Sean O Rourke ?
    Like Sean O Rourke yes more or less. a panel discuss the weekly events

Anonymous? Is Ford Plump Yarn on your birth cert?

Anonymous? Is goldenwonders on your birth cert?

That's my point everyone is anonymous on here so it's easy rant and rave and have all the answers.
    If you feel strongly about tipp fm and how it's run you won't solve it here.

That's my point everyone is anonymous on here so it's easy rant and rave and have all the answers.
    If you feel strongly about tipp fm and how it's run you won't solve it here.

Its a forum where people give opinions. You shouldnt let a few posts on a forum upset you so much...

Its a forum where people give opinions. You shouldnt let a few posts on a forum upset you so much...

Just challenging the opinion like you wanted the radio presenter to do.
    I take it challenging opinions is all good so long as it's not your opinion.
    I understand what forums are question is do you :-)

• Advertisement

Just challenging the opinion like you wanted the radio presenter to do.
    I take it challenging opinions is all good so long as it's not your opinion.
    I understand what forums are question is do you :-)

If you take the trouble to read back a few posts,you will find i didnt write the "challenging the opinion" post.....

I stand corrected my apologies. You came in with a third man tackle even the gaa outlawed that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

Shouldn't the intervier have challenged the opinion or if I were to suggest so, am I just an anonymous preacher?

Jim Bowen wrote: »
    Shouldn't the intervier have challenged the opinion or if I were to suggest so, am I just an anonymous preacher?
    i would say probably yes he should have but i did not hear it and it is not podcast as far as i know? Can you give an paraphrase.

Also if i were you and bothered by it i would complain to them and then BAI

I’d like to see a full transcript of “The Panel Discussion “ before I could arrive at a definitive contribution but if this segment is what I believe it to be then it’s a departure from the usual running order . Guests are invited to contribute and the nature of any discussion is to allow opinions. With the exception of blatant discrimination, racism or targeted hatred a talented Presenter should allow the exchange to unfold and develop with little or no moderation .

If as suggested the discussion was surrounding the Drink Driving laws in Ireland then I can’t see an issue .

This is currently a National Debate and it’s probably disingenuous to suggest that anyone at TippFM ( Presenters or Contributing Guests ) are in favor of Drink Driving .

The demise of rural Ireland is a constant talking point .

Different opinions makes for entertaining Radio .

johnplayer wrote:
    This is currently a National Debate and it’s probably disingenuous to suggest that anyone at TippFM ( Presenters or Contributing Guests ) are in favor of Drink Driving .

Exactly but there's a core in here who'll use any excuse to have a pop at Tipp Fm. Tipp Fm are not perfect but are no better or worse than most other stations.

johnplayer wrote:
    The demise of rural Ireland is a constant talking point .

And a valid one.

johnplayer wrote:
    Different opinions makes for entertaining Radio .

Only opinions some are interested are their own.

Jim Bowen wrote:

Why get a panel in to give their opinions on topics and then stop them giving them.

Why get a panel in to give their opinions on topics and then stop them giving them.

I never said stop opinions. I only suggested the opinions should be challenged. Especially when the opinion is extremely negative about the law of the land. A law that is designed to stop people dying. That’s all.

Jim Bowen wrote: »
    I never said stop opinions. I only suggested the opinions should be challenged. Especially when the opinion is extremely negative about the law of the land. A law that is designed to stop people dying. That’s all.
    Do you have a recording of it

I don't and perhaps I should declare a possible conflict here.

I have been on the receiving end of drunk driving on two occasions. Once when my wife and I and our two children were travelling on the M8 and were hit by a driver who veered across from the overtaking lane to the slow lane and hit our car. His car overturned, our did not, we escaped injury, he didn't. I tended to him as best I could and he wasn't just over the limit, he was polluted!The second case was an extended family member who died as a result of a drunk driver mounting the footpath and mowing him down, killing him instantly. The drunk driver went to jail for an abhorrently brief time.

Ok so, all cards on table now.

So, I didn't listen too long to the piece with the Friday 'panel' last week as I simply couldn't. One lady recounted an experience when she had been breathalysed. She seemed indignant that the Gardai had done so after they had explained to her that she was breathalysed because she had hit the internal part of a roundabout as she took a right turn on that roundabout.

She suggested that this was a case of over-policing.

What I would have expected of the host is for him to point out that her driving behaviour was entirely consistent with that of a driver under the influence. Yes we all make mistakes whilst driving but good policing would breatlayse first and ask questions later. If you are clean you put your hands up and say that was a driving error, no more, no less, sorry to have wasted your time Guard, it won't happen again.

She made out she was hounded by forces of the state. The free pass she got on this was astounding.

Another anecdote offered on this was about a couple who left their cars in Thurles over Christmas ('did the right thing' we were told): they went in the following morning to collect their cars, were breathalysed and failed. This was presented as damned if you do etc. Here, the presenter failed to point out that if you are over the ****ing limit, then you are over the ****ing limit, end of ****ing story. If you blood alcohol exceeds the standard set for driving a vehicle you have committed an offence. If that is at 10pm or 10am it bloody well doesn't matter, you are over the goddam limit.

But no, we were subject to apologists for behaviour that kills people and that goes unchallenged.

I turned off as I really couldn't listen to any more.

I see that TippFm have not put the segment on their podcast (Tipp Today Highlights) list so it either wasn't a highlight or else, they too are deeply uncomfortable with the exchanges.

That's all I want to say on this.

• Advertisement

Jim Bowen wrote:

Fair enough

Well as it happens someone did nearly 5k of damage to my 2018 car New Years Eve / New Years morning . I can’t they were drunk but it’s likely they were as they hit it while it was parked and drove away . So I hear you .

The latest radio listenership figures show Tipp FM has increased its stronghold across the Premier County with over 69,000 tuning in every week, an increase of over 4,000 new listeners.

According to the JNLR – Ipsos – MRBI survey people are also choosing to listen to Tipp FM for longer periods with an increase in Market Share of 2% to 35%.

The award-winning station also recorded an increase in its daily reach by 2%.

Fran Curry said this morning,that the Tipp Today show had gained 7000 new listeners..Well done!

Fran Curry said this morning,that the Tipp Today show had gained 7000 new listeners..Well done!

Heard that too . Thats quite a jump . Congratulations to him and his team . What have they started to do differently in the past 12 months ?

Two positive posts in a row for Tipp Fm and I'll make it the hat trick well done Tipp Fm and Fran.

There was a song on the hospital radio last week that had the words "the house that jack built". I do not know if that was the name of the song

not https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hQqzp46Uw8
    not https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wIO6cx91cA

it was a slow song. Anyone know what it was

There was a song on the hospital radio last week that had the words "the house that jack built". I do not know if that was the name of the song

not https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hQqzp46Uw8
    not https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wIO6cx91cA

it was a slow song. Anyone know what it was

Was it a man or woman singing?..What style was it..Country etc....

Was it a man or woman singing?..What style was it..Country etc....
    countryish slow. think was a man. had a slow beat

• Advertisement

Alison Hyland who left Tipp FM to produce the Opinion Line on Cork's 96fm,has left the Cork station.............

Advertisement