Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 Launch Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

Well I think this is a massive game changer. As one poster mentioned, private App stores can be created, creating more control for application deployment.
    The power for Enterprises to be able to push data and enterprise applications to staff via owned and user owned devices with Apps is huge, especially for field staff etc. Win8 can be adopted as part of a BYOD strategy and can still be integrated.

App content will become the medium of choice to communicate with customers.

For companies who want a more relaxed BYOD strategy, middleware is upon is that will allow the enterprise publish content to apps across W8, Andriod and IOS platforms all at the click of a button.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Torqay wrote: »
    Not only software but also content is subject to deletion at Microsoft's discretion - whether you have purchased it through Windows Store (now a component of Microsoft Windows which can't be removed) or "acquired" it elsewhere - if "required to do so for legal reasons".

Are you sure about that? Do you have a source?

I know that Windows Store bought stuff will have a kill switch option. But as far as I'm aware any applications or content acquired elsewhere, no matter where, is effected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

stevenmu wrote: »
    Are you sure about that? Do you have a source?

I know that Windows Store bought stuff will have a kill switch option. But as far as I'm aware any applications or content acquired elsewhere, no matter where, is effected.

No, I'm not sure and neither is Overheal.
    Overheal wrote: »
    Not sure that it affects any regular desktop software that you install.

However, this is what it says in the Terms and Conditions:
    "In cases where your security is at risk, or where we're required to do so for legal reasons, you may not be able to run apps or access content that you previously acquired or purchased a license for."

And unless Microsoft does clarify this, you can read it whichever way you want. And I'm inclined to assume the worst. Better safe than sorry.

Who are they to decide whether my "security is at risk" or to delete content I have "acquired"... for "legal reasons"? I was under the impression that the law still requires a search warrant and a Judge is to decide the lawfulness (or unlawfulness) of my "acquisition".

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What's to say a judge won't? Boards.ie is subject to cease and desist orders all the time. They can delete your content at any time, they can release your personal account details to the authorities at any time.

Anyone who wishes to read the license terms of their windows installation can do so, from start type 'license' run the windows activation window and you should see the link right there for it. I'm on an evaluation copy of windows 8, and in these somewhat brief terms section 6: 'windows apps' describes being able to remove 'apps' for 'any reason', though the example given is to comply with a judicial order.

I see nothing in the terms about snooping personal data, or deleting regular software not found on the windows app store.

What's to say a judge won't?

So it's OK for you, Microsoft acting as a judge now? And subsequently as jury and executioner?

And what's it with the silly comparison to a public forum? I'm not talking about some cloudy stuff here but my personal computer.
    I see nothing in the terms about snooping personal data, or deleting regular software not found on the windows app store.

And how exactly do you separate software and content purchased via Windows Store from software and content "acquired" elsewhere on a Windows computer? Put it into a folder "Hello Microsoft, sorry, but this is none of your business"?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Didn't bother with betas or previews so had my first look at Win 8 today.

Using a touch interface with a mouse is just stupid.

The actual desktop looks gaudy with it's clunky, chunky, window chrome.

Using Windows Key and typing a program name is now useless if Internet Explorer is anything to go by. I'm using a desktop so I want the desktop version of a browser. I start most programs using Windows Key and typing the first few chars. Doing this in Windows 8 goes into Metro then launches the touch optimized version of the program. I don't use IE but I'd assume a lot of other programs will have both desktop and touch optimized interfaces.

Load of arse really. It's going to fail big time.

Apart from the "ground breaking" interface, what has improved? I know Media Center hasn't seen 1 single update, yet they feel the need to charge extra for it.

Farce.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Most satellite receivers / set top boxes can receive updates over the air.
    In the case of SKY they can ID boxes/cards by hardware addresses, so they have the technology to brick your box remotely. But such things generate bad publicity so unlikely for any provider to kill off legit stuff, never mind legal challenges.

Story is a little different for "malware" or "cracking apps" or apps that break the terms and conditions of windows license.

The balance there is kinda important. For a marketplace to work it must be trusted. If there is a lot of malware then it might threaten the enterprise market.

So it's OK for you, Microsoft acting as a judge now? And subsequently as jury and executioner?
    That is not at all what I said. A judge in this case is still a judge. And executioner? We aren't talking about Capital Punishment here. Do you have any sense of what you're actually talking about or are you just regurgitating soundbites you grew up with as a youth?
    And what's it with the silly comparison to a public forum? I'm not talking about some cloudy stuff here but my personal computer.
    No you're just trying to insinuate that it's closer to executions. Spare me.

Apps are actually analogous to a website or cloud-based service: when you download or purchase an App it's associated to your Microsoft Live account, an account which is operated primarily from your cloud-based SkyDrive.

If you so choose to opt out of a Live account, and don't want Cloud features, and subsequently don't want to download Apps from the Microsoft Store and subsequently allow Microsoft to remove these apps as deemed necessary, then use a Local User Account. This option is given during your PC setup, and it is clearly explained to you.

So ultimately you can opt out of this by simply choosing to use a local user account, and more specifically by not installing Windows Store apps if you think Microsoft will delete them for giggles.
    And how exactly do you separate software and content purchased via Windows Store from software and content "acquired" elsewhere on a Windows computer? Put it into a folder "Hello Microsoft, sorry, but this is none of your business"?
    The license terms variate this. The section of the Terms clearly indicates the Microsoft Store. Even desktop software advertised on the Microsoft Store is not downloaded from the Microsoft Store: such software links you out of the store to the software's download page elsewhere on the internet.
    The actual desktop looks gaudy with it's clunky, chunky, window chrome.
    Stupidly, I haven't checked to see what themes and personalization are available for the desktop. You should also be able to pin the desktop version of the browser to Start, and/or to the Search charm.

In the case of SKY they can ID boxes/cards by hardware addresses, so they have the technology to brick your box remotely. But such things generate bad publicity so unlikely for any provider to kill off legit stuff, never mind legal challenges.

Updating the OS is one thing, agreeing to subject software and content on your computer to scrutiny by Microsoft (and deletion as they see fit) is a different matter entirely.

This practice may be limited to software and content purchased via Windows Store but how do you separate it form your other stuff?

This practice may be limited to software and content purchased via Windows Store but how do you separate it form your other stuff?
    You just answered your own question: it is limited to software and content purchased via the Windows Store.

• Advertisement

Do you have any sense of what you're actually talking about or are you just regurgitating soundbites you grew up with as a youth?

Wasn't it you who reminded us that your POTUS has the given authority to turn every square inch of the planet into glass? So you spare me please.

You just answered your own question: it is limited to software and content purchased via the Windows Store.

And yet we don't know exactly how this can be separated from all the other software and content on a Windows computer? Of course, we may all trust the good people in Redmond with this kind of information and go back to sleep.

Besides, I said it may be limited, I don't know this any more than you do, apparently.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

And yet we don't know exactly how this can be separated from all the other software and content on a Windows computer? Of course, we may all trust the good people in Redmond with this kind of information and go back to sleep.

Besides, I said it may be limited, I don't know this any more than you do, apparently.

The software/content you get from the windows store is tied to your live account, software/content got elsewhere isn't. That is how it is separated.

So, Microsoft can only check/delete the stuff that is tied to my Live account? Good.

So, Microsoft can only check/delete the stuff that is tied to my Live account? Good.
    That is what we have been trying to tell you.

Now I am thoroughly relieved and delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

windows 8 pro for $40...

windows.microsoft.com/EN-US/windows/buy?ocid=CPRP_r_announce_na_body_3_1

It's SOOO bad, you have to press the Windows key to exit a metro app?????

It feels the exact same as using Android on a dual boot netbook. Completely unintuitive and pointless!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

I have a promo code to "upgrade" windows 7 to windows 8 pro for $40 but I'll wait and see if it's worth my time or not. I'd say this OS will be a disaster but I'll wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

lol that's funny. I got an email a few months back saying if I had purchased a new windows 7 pc within the past 6 months then I was entitled to an upgrade for $40...

how's is it running for you?

*Edit* just noticed you said you installed it this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

It's SOOO bad, you have to press the Windows key to exit a metro app?????

It feels the exact same as using Android on a dual boot netbook. Completely unintuitive and pointless!
    Touch: Swipe your finger from the top of the screen all the way to the bottom to close down an app

Mouse: Move your mouse to the top of the screen until it forms a hand, then click to grab the window, and drag it down. You can also drag the app to the side to initiate side-by-side app operation.

Oh and a derp moment on shutting down the PC: you can also press CTRL+ALT+DEL to pull up the power button as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

"One problem I seem to be having (which I didn't have with the preview and haven't had a chance to look into a solution for) is when I'm typing the text cursor is jumping to different parts of the page. Not sure if it's Windows or Chrome but I'll need to look into it"

you might have to reinstall your pointing device software,I had this problem when I reinstalled Windows 7 on my Dell laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

So I picked this up yesterday and I gotta say I'm loving it, much better than the beta I tried a few months back. Programs boot faster for me (Cubase 6 64-bit used to take over a minute to load in Win 7 for me due to the plug-ins I use, takes less than 10 seconds in Win 8) and I'm getting significant increases in performance in games like Battlefield 3.

I also really like the Metro UI. For people like myself who install a lot of software it's extremely handy to use, as you can see here:

metrodw.jpg

Everything I use, organized in one place which I can reach by pressing a single button. Sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

Installed last night and my metro tiles just do not work. The launch screen for them comes up and it just jumps back to the tiles screen. Has anyone found a solution or even had this problem as well??

Elysian wrote: »
    I also really like the Metro UI. For people like myself who install a lot of software it's extremely handy to use, as you can see here:

metrodw.jpg

Everything I use, organized in one place which I can reach by pressing a single button. Sweet!

So the exact same as a bunch of icons on the desktop or a folder of icons on the desktop? Way to embrace metro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

So the exact same as a bunch of icons on the desktop or a folder of icons on the desktop? Way to embrace metro!

Not really, this is only a partial list of the shortcuts I have on my Metro UI. Since one can't scroll across ones desktop there wouldn't be enough room on it for all my applications. Not to mention I like to keep my desktop tidy.

I could use a folder of app shortcuts but with Metro the shortcuts are made automatically and unlike a folder of shortcuts I can organize these for ease of use. Notice in the picture the first block of icons are music apps, second is MS office, third is the Adobe Master Collection, fourth are general system apps etc etc.

Edit: I should also point out that I am enjoying other aspects of Metro too, some of the apps on it are great. I was just trying to show that as an organizational tool it's a lot better than the previous start menu that it's replacing or any 3rd party dock I've used before imo.

It's no longer Metro. The German retail chain with the same name has intervened, Microsoft had to bow and they subsequently renamed it, welcome Modern UI. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Elysian wrote: »
    Not really, this is only a partial list of the shortcuts I have on my Metro UI. Since one can't scroll across ones desktop there wouldn't be enough room on it for all my applications. Not to mention I like to keep my desktop tidy.

I could use a folder of app shortcuts but with Metro the shortcuts are made automatically and unlike a folder of shortcuts I can organize these for ease of use. Notice in the picture the first block of icons are music apps, second is MS office, third is the Adobe Master Collection, fourth are general system apps etc etc.

Edit: I should also point out that I am enjoying other aspects of Metro too, some of the apps on it are great. I was just trying to show that as an organizational tool it's a lot better than the previous start menu that it's replacing or any 3rd party dock I've used before imo.

Did that grouping happen automatically for you or did you have to do it manually?

I can see automatic grouping of like software applications making Notro much better; my frustration with it was the cack-handed nature of the default shortcuts (between things like the default icons including a bunch of crap I didn't want, and the weirdness of how it added shortcuts when i installed software eg not adding a steam shortcut but adding a shortcut for one of the MS runtime libraries).

Advertisement