Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 Launch Discussion

Options
  • 05-10-2012 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't been quite this excited about a product launch in a long time. But there are probably a few reasons for that, one of which is that I'm right in the middle of it - receiving training and endorsement from Microsoft themselves at my place of work, which includes a lateral promotion and some interesting swag I'm not even at the liberty to discuss yet.

223245.JPG

What I can say though is that I've been playing with Windows 8 in Beta and Consumer Preview for a couple months now, and aside from a few hardware-centric hiccups from running it on a Tablet that was designed to run Windows 7 (and at that it was kind of a prototype from the CES 2011. It does however have the same type of Wacom pen that that Galaxy Note has, making it worth every penny)

Here are things I know for certain:

- Windows 8 is a deceptively subtle, yet radical change that will be seen as the biggest change to windows in many many years.

- In the computing world, this will be the single largest product launch since the iPad first hit shelves nearly 3 years ago. Of course, everything will refresh in the stores: New Desktops, All-in-Ones, Laptops, Tablets, and even Laptop-Tablet Hybrids.

laptop-stand.jpg
    tent-tablet.jpg

- As evidenced by Windows Vista, the importance of this launch can't be underlined enough: if it goes well, consumers will upgrade sooner, spend more money, even boost the economy. If it falls flat, it means consumers will refuse to adopt, endure using older hardware and this will keep current minimum specs of most PC software in a state of stagnation that won't be fully corrected for several more years; just as it was with PC and subsequently console Gaming.

Adoption will go well if consumers understand and embrace it. With that in mind, what about your understanding of Windows 8?

What is Windows 8?

Windows 8 is the newest Operating System from Microsoft, that will officially launch on October 26th - 3 weeks from today. The primary design goal of this release seems to have been twofold: 1) Unify the Windows Experience between all Windows devices, including the Windows PC, the Windows Phone, and even the Xbox 360 Gaming console. 2) Make Windows relevant on emerging PC technologies - namely, Touchscreens and mobile devices.

As a result Windows will come in two flavors: Windows 8 Pro will run on any PC hardware (That is, x86-based processors, like those supplied by AMD and Intel), and Windows RT, which will run on energy efficient Tablet hardware (Processors which are supplied by ARM and others, which use a very different instruction language that stresses power efficiency; eg. the Tegra 3 Processor from nVidia which is found in most Android-based tablets).

Be mindful, most importantly, that Windows 8 RT will not run regular x86-based software. It will exclusively run Apps, no more than you can install World of Warcraft or Quickbooks onto an iPad (unless theres an app for that).

There will likely be Pro tablets alongside RT tablets. There will definitely be hybrids, aka. Convertibles: Laptops which fold into Tablets - not an entirely new concept, but it hasn't been visited in the mainstream.

As a bonus though, Windows 8 RT Tablets will all include the Office 2013 Suite of software - That is the #1 follow-up question to every prospective tablet sale I've been a part of in the last 2 years: "Can I install Office on this?" Well, now you don't have to.

So what's different?

For a Windows PC, not so much. You still have your desktop, you can still install software, etc.

However the first thing you'll notice is the traditional Start menu is gone, replaced with the Start "Dashboard" - which if you own an Xbox is a familiar concept of terms. From here you can run 'Apps' from the App Store, or place Shortcuts to traditional programs and web pages. These can be organized however you fancy, and most apps will have "Live" tiles, meaning they are not static icons, but will feed you up to date information. For instance, the News app will roll through the latest headlines; your calendar will display your most pertinent events; the People app will show you your recent facebook alerts, etc.

You can run pieces of software side-by-side (as far as Tablets go, only Samsung tablets seem to share this ability right now) and of course any software that can be run in Desktop mode can be run in any number of windows or side by side configurations just as you're familiar with now.

Charming

Also critically new to windows 8, just like Windows Vista & 7 revolutionized the Start menu, by turning into a "Search and Run" utility (vs. the old jungle-style of navigating through a hierarchy of folders to maybe find the calculator that you were looking for), Windows 8 re-revolutionizes that, and adds another powerful button, Share.

With share you no longer have to copy a URL, go over to facebook, paste, type something witty, etc. - you just click the share charm from the web page you're viewing and the ability to post to your social media site shows up right there on the sidebar.

But getting back to Search, search is now essentially Meta - it searches everything. From search you type in the term you're searching for, and below the search bar is the list of all things it can filter through: namely, all of your apps. So if you search "Map", you can tap on the Web browser app from there and it will show you a Bing search result for Map. Or if you click the Store icon it will pull up every app in the store related to maps. Click on music, and the same thing occurs, it will search your music, and the marketplace's music. It's very mighty. And things like this will dramatically reduce the amount of time you spend doing things on the computer.

Cloud

The other major highlight is how important online services are now. You now have the option of your typical "local" user account, or, you can choose to log into your computer(s) with a Windows Live account. If you choose this option, for every computer you use it will sync all of your settings, preferences, purchases, and bookmarks. In this way, you can have the same account on your PCs, Xbox, (and Windows Phone), and using Skydrive, have all of your same files as well. If you enable Skydrive-fetch on your home desktop, your miserly 32GB or so tablet can still access all of your PCs files over an internet connection - even those not stored in your actual Skydrive (~7GB Free, More for an annual subscription). This also means it's relatively painless if you need to borrow your friend's laptop to do some work, since you'll have access to your own personalized workspace.

And, oh yeah: Windows 8 (RT and Pro) is the Only Operating system out there for tablets (right now) that will let you use multiple user accounts. Meaning that married couple can share the same piece of hardware without having to share the same virtual space for apps, documents and emails.

I haven't even really gotten into some of the technical stuff: if you explore the settings you will notice they've made it easier than ever to perform system repairs: the option is right there to do an in-place operating system reinstall for instance, meaning if your PC is acting buggy, you can quickly "reinstall" windows without affecting your files or screwing up your workflow.

So, how do I get this, how do I try it?

Windows 8 is available as a Release Preview here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/release-preview

It's easiest installed by DVD or via a Flash Drive

If you bought a PC This summer, that PC is eligible for a low-entry upgrade price of $15 (or the EU equivalent), by going to http://windowsupgradeoffer.com

MSFT will also be running a promotional period through January which will allow you to purchase licenses and upgrade-licenses at a discount. If you recall they also had a Windows 7 Family pack, which included 3 Upgrade Licenses for Home Premium - it was less than half the cost of the licenses after this promotion. If you plan to adopt the OS within the next year (or two), buy the licenses early!

What about everyone else? Excitement? Concerns? Criticism? Windows 8 should be in the stores a head of the launch - inside of the next 3 weeks. So if you're still undecided and you don't want to install it at home I'd still encourage you to stop in a B&M and have a poke around it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

I ran it in beta for a couple of months on a PC and didn't like it but given time I might but I'll be sticking to 7 for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Great post, really helpful for people, I tried tablet in London last weekend, I'll be getting one of them with full OS, also I have 26'' HP touch smart with win7 and bump top and its great' I rarely need mouse, but its never really taken off, for 2 yes straight I'm still only one I know with touch PC, looking fwd to everyone else enjoying it with win. Hardware will be everywhere in a yr vs aids people use today. Keep up god posts buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Have you seen ASUS' new monster tablet? :D

18.5" display, Tegra 3 processor running Windows RT

OV72R.jpg

OK, not really a tablet, it's one of their Transformer yokes. When docked to the base as an AIO computer it's running Windows 8 on some Ivy Bridge CPU.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I tried it in early February on a tablet and I thought it would be a bit silly to have metro on desktops and laptops.
    I was extremely keen to try it out on my desktop and obviously rushed to download the Consumer Preview as soon as it came out. I didn't like it at first but I have to say it really grew on me :eek: Metro UI is still a bit messy on desktops but with All In Ones becoming more and more popular, I imagine it would settle in well in time.

But I'm still confused as to how professionals and companies will react to it. Will they make the switch to Windows 8 and Server 2012?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    But I'm still confused as to how professionals and companies will react to it. Will they make the switch to Windows 8 and Server 2012?
    Thats going to depend on whatever changes have been made on the back-end. My training and use of Windows 8 really only focus on the front-end.

In saying that though the UI does owe itself to increasing productivity in some circumstances. Particularly trying to find stuff. The search function in old versions of windows was just comically bad. Even when you knew where a file was, trying to pull it from a search tool was like pulling teeth. The new search functionality encompasses the machine, the apps, and the internet.

I also have but a hint that something on the back end is more powerful: the new demo software we are slated to use no longer requires Deep Freeze utility in order to do the same or a similar level of work. Stands to reason there will be a broader toolbox for sysadmins to use to regulate the use of their machines. Commercial adoption though will largely depend on how much cost and pain is involved.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'll give MS this - the upgrade pricing I've read about is very smart and will help get people considering the upgrade.

The big question, for me, remains "How much will people like it on non-touch systems"? Windows To Go + Windows RT tablets are, between them, good answers for Windows-based enterprises facing the twin dilemmas of "I want a tablet!" and "I want to use my own computer for work, it's better than the thing you give me to work on". And the Deep-Freeze-like system reset function sounds like a great idea.

The focus on "apps", the lack of information about using the Store as a repository system (I dislike being forced to use Apple IDs for updating native applications in OS X, so being forced to either use Live IDs to cascade software installs/updates out through the Store or continue using SCCM/KACE or whatever would seem like a missed opportunity), and That Bloody UI are what have me nervous. On the UI front, though, I know part of the issue is that I'm not using touch-based systems and part of it is that I've never gotten used to using search for everything.

Fysh wrote: »
    Windows RT tablets are... good answers for Windows-based enterprises

I doubt, RT will make much inroads in the enterprise market.

You can't just install any software, everything must be purchased/obtained through Microsoft's app store... the nightmare for sysadmins.

RT tablets will be consumer gadgets, Enterprises will go the Windows 8 route with Intel processors.

Torqay wrote: »

You can't just install any software, everything must be purchased/obtained through Microsoft's app store... the nightmare for sysadmins.

RT tablets will be consumer gadgets, Enterprises will go the Windows 8 route with Intel processors.
    Depends on how easy it is to develop apps for it. Each will come loaded with Office 2013 though, which is by itself handy enough for most applications of the tablet.

On the app end, Microsoft has just 2 weeks to fill the store up with more apps. Currently there are only several hundred, they've indicated they expect thousands by Christmas. It's the same stumbling block that slammed WebOS and the Playbook. Not a real issue for x86, but RT has it's work cut out for it.

It really remains to be seen how Office RT turns out. There will only be a preview on launch day, the product won't be finalized until 2013 according to the current roadmap and without crucial components such as Outllook and InfoPath, I don't think, businesses will get overly excited about it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

RT Tablets are a perfect answer for the twits insisting that they need a tablet (by which they mean current-gen iPad) and couldn't possibly have to lug around a full-size laptop. It has Office built-in, can't install x86 software (so already less hassle to manage) and for anything else they RDP onto a real machine, and if it turns out they spend most of their time RDP'd onto a proper machine to do work then they have merely demonstrated they were talking danglies about needing a tablet in the first place :)

It's going to vary by organisation, but I've yet to see anyone make a genuine convincing case for needing a tablet. Outside of the sales-style "look how cool this is" (which is a sales issue, not a tech issue) there's a limited case to make for them as productivity devices.

• Advertisement

But Office 2013 RT will come to iOS and Android in March... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Does the upgrade-licenses offer included OEM copies of windows 7?

Does the upgrade-licenses offer included OEM copies of windows 7?

The 15 yoyos promo offer only applies to computers bought from June 2, 2012 through January 31, 2013. Irish customers register here.

Upgrade licenses should still be available till January for ~$40, or the EU pricing equivalency (either straight conversion or €40). So yes you will be able to affordably upgrade your 7 OEM license to an 8 Professional OEM license.
    But Office 2013 RT will come to iOS and Android in March... :D
    Unconfirmed rumor. I want to believe but the word broke from a Czech Republic MS person and was quickly disavowed by MS proper with no further word on the issue.

It is likely in development but whether it will be launch ready by Q1 remains to be seen. Regardless it is a highly demanded application in all mobile app marketplaces, and MS stands to make a buttload of money on any potential release of it. However I highly doubt they will announce anything as early as Q1, it would cannibalize the launch of the RT platform.

I'm guessing based on how it was leaked, they were told to try and have it ready by Q1 but whether it will launch that early is another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

Is the picture above your own Tablet? Is writing on it as easy as it seems. I'm a maths teacher and use a Tablet pc to write on but its like a block of cement carrying it from class to class.

jonseyblub wrote: »
    Is the picture above your own Tablet? Is writing on it as easy as it seems. I'm a maths teacher and use a Tablet pc to write on but its like a block of cement carrying it from class to class.
    Yes. Samsung licensed the Wacom Pen technology for the Series 7 Slate (pictured above) and the Galaxy 'Note' tablet and phones. It's the only thing I can recommend for handwriting on a tablet. When the pen is on or near the screen the tablet doesn't pick up on capacitive touch, so you can rest your hand naturally on the screen while you write (trying this on a tablet with a regular stylus gets you nowhere). The writing resolution and sensitivity is much higher on the Series 7 Slate than it is the Note, but a Note tab is also less than half the cost of a Series 7.

The Series 7 Slate was a contest prize I won from Microsoft earlier in the year (they awarded 10 ultrabooks nationwide for that contest, I scored 2: that slate and an HP Envy 14 Spectre laptop). For my new position as a MSFT Advisor they are also going to furnish me with a new Lenovo Yoga convertible laptop/tablet, also pictured above. Since making the OP we've been playing with the Yoga at work and showing it to customers and the reaction has been mostly 'wow', with a couple people mildly concerned for how dirty the keyboard might potentially get, but for the most part it's getting everyone excited about the new OS, and even people on the fence seem to admit to the UI changes making a lot of sense, most especially if used on a touch interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Anyone know if there a technet launch event in Dublin similar to Windows 7 launch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭fdevine

I would be hoping so, although I've seen or heard nothing yet.

The Windows7 event was low budget IMO compared to previous events, so remains to be seen if there's even going to be a tech event like before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Yeah, I was looking forward to the technet launch and was at the Windows 7 one which was small but pretty good.

I haven't heard anything on an event this year as of yet, since it's out next week, I think there should have been some info on it.

You should already be seeing demo PCs in stores.

I can confirm RT still has the "Desktop" even though it won't run x86 software: it can still run Office 2013, IE10 (Desktop Mode), and let you access all of your regular system settings and file structure, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Belfunk wrote: »
    Anyone know if there a technet launch event in Dublin similar to Windows 7 launch?

Came to this thread hoping to find some details, but clearly not the case

Keep an eye on this page, although there is no guarantee they will post something. I'm on their list for regular emails, but have heard nothing yet..

http://www.microsoft.com/ireland/events/

Have you seen ASUS' new monster tablet? :D

18.5" display, Tegra 3 processor running Windows RT

OV72R.jpg

OK, not really a tablet, it's one of their Transformer yokes. When docked to the base as an AIO computer it's running Windows 8 on some Ivy Bridge CPU.
    Actually it will be running android (in Tablet mode) and Windows 8 in AiO mode. As a tablet the Android 8 platform will be set up as a remote login to the AiO base. Sounds like a horrible mess, and not one that really strikes me as a useful product.

Overheal wrote: »
    Actually it will be running android (in Tablet mode)

Yes, I read that, although in the picture (clearly showing the Transformer AIO in "tablet mode") it looks like no Android version I have ever seen. :D

I can confirm RT still has the "Desktop"

Yes, but only for Microsoft's own software, 3rd party applications will be locked out from the RT desktop.

I just read the first reviews of the new Skype for Windows 8, looks like a major FUP... well, I was wondering what took Microsoft so long to sc3w Skype up completely since they've bought it 18 months ago. ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I just read the first reviews of the new Skype for Windows 8, looks like a major FUP... well, I was wondering what took Microsoft so long to sc3w Skype up completely since they've bought it 18 months ago. ;)

Ah it takes time to obliterate a dominant voip client like Skype, they're on the job though :)
    Anyone try it?
    Too lazy to restart and enter Win8

In other news: Google will be releasing a wider range of Nexus tablets and phones..on the same day as Microsoft's Windows 8 and Surface :pac:

Very eventful week in technology

Yes, but only for Microsoft's own software, 3rd party applications will be locked out from the RT desktop.
    Yes, I said that:

I can confirm RT still has the "Desktop" even though it won't run x86 software
    Skype has always been a major ****up. Nothing new there. Its support on android has varied wildly from device to device.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I have a laptop (17" HP thing), I have access to a €15 upgrade (parents bought a new PC back in the summer) and I think I'll go and buy the upgrade at weekend, unless anyone can give me a major reason not to?

From what I've read it's a touch first interface, but there are some nice upgrades and tweaks for non-touch too, right?

dulpit wrote: »
    From what I've read it's a touch first interface, but there are some nice upgrades and tweaks for non-touch too, right?

I would most definitely say try before you buy; if you're on a non-touch interface there's no way to say whether you'll love it or hate it. Personally I find it pointless over Win7 for my usage pattern and requirements (and I'm unwilling to change either without a better reason than "MS want a common UI across their phone and computer offerings"). Others on here have been very impressed by it.

Whatever you do, don't commit yourself to the upgrade without having a rollback plan in case you don't like it (ie full system snapshot before upgrading and check you can recover to it if you decide you need to ditch Win8).

Its the improvements on search that have me sold. From Start, type in - well, anything. Type in the calculator, theres your calculator. Press the filter for the Store app and it will re-perform the search for calculator apps. Or say you wake up one morning and someone says "Bertie Ahern just ate a baby", type that while youre on the start menu and tap on the News app.

Very much the same reason I put up with Vista, and the same reason I loved 7, is they keep improving things like the search. Windows XP holdouts still have to navigate Start>All Programs>etc>etc>etc (and when I was a kid I started in DOS prompt, so I know all about having to use archaic file navigation) to find what they want. They have to know its there or they have to go stumbling around for things. Now I can simply, if I discover I don't have ccleaner installed (Start, "CCleaner") I can tap on the web browser and it will do a web search for ccleaner, taking me almost directly to the download page. It's a bit like asking a programmer if he is more or less productive with autofill features enabled.

• Advertisement

"Bertie Ahern just ate a baby", type that while youre on the start menu and tap on the News app.

But, but... that's old news! :D

Advertisement