Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due June 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

still here, pains tapering off but show is still coming. Everyone thinks I'll go any minute - I feel like I'm in a fish bowl! every twinge is being monitored - going to bed for some rest (if anything will bring it on its intentions of sleep!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I was thinking the 19th would be a good day for a baby to arrive - come on babies! I can't wait to hear/see all about them :)

I'm home on the couch and baby is asleep so thought I'd take 5 minutes to post my birth story. Hope it's not too long!

So, I lost my mucous plug last Thursday (while I was in Ikea!) and then after that started having what I was calling contractions but they were nothing like the real thing! I was cramping regularly though and I thought I might have been leaking water a few times over the weekend but we weren't sure. I was awake most of Sunday night in a lot of pain - stabbing cervix pain and cramps but they were all very constant so I didn't think it was labour.

Hubby was getting up to go to work on Monday morning and at about 8.30 some liquid was leaking out of me on to the bed, it wasn't a gush but more than if I had peed myself, especially considering I had been up to pee all night. I got up and went to the bathroom, thinking it was probably a false alarm and liquid was still leaking but very slowly and I realised by smelling it that it was my waters. My husband called the hospital and they said to go in so we got ready - I had a shower, and we got everything in to the car.

We got to Holles Street at about 10 and they took me to the delivery ward to be examined as I started getting contractions in the car every ten minutes on the way in. They weren't strong but that had much more of a pulling sensation then the pre-labour stuff. The midwife examined me and checked the waters were clear - by this stage I was leaking a lot and needed the big thick maternity pads. I was put on a trace for a while and at 11.20am was admitted to the antenatal ward. The midwife said my waters had broken but I wasn't dilated at all and wasn't in labour She said I could go home but that she was happy to admit me to wait for labour to start. All I can say is thank god we stayed!

I was on the antenal ward expecting that contractions would be far apart and I'd be sitting reading a book but the contractions started coming closer and closer together really fast. I was in so much pain - I had panadol but got sick a few times so it didn't do much. I also had a shower because the pain in my back was bad. The contractions really were very close together so that I couldn't sit still or lie down - just breath heavily through them. I said I wanted pethidine and was put on a trace to check baby was ok before I was allowed to get it. At this stage contractions were 1 - 2 minutes apart and a minute long and I was starting to be unable to cope at all. The trace showed how close the contractions were so they examined me and said you're in labour we're sending you to the delivery room and there you can have your epidural and gas and air. That was the worst part of it, they parked a wheelchair next to me because I couldn't walk and we had to wait until a room was ready and I was getting contractions all the time. I finally got wheeled to the delivery room and was admitted there at 2.20pm. The midwife there told me I was 6cm dilated which was a huge shock - it only took 3 hours to get there.

Once I was in the delivery room I was sucking the gas and air like it was going out of fashion, it really helped take the edge off and I was much better then - but I still asked every 5 minutes where the anaesthetist was. He arrived after what felt like ages and I got my juice. The epidural was great - mine didn't work 100% so I still felt the contractions on my left side but they were dulled down enough that I only needed a hit of gas and air every so often. The midwife checked me at 4.20pm and to my huge surprise said I was 10cm dilated and it was time to push. I wasn't expecting that at all. I pushed for a bit but wasn't getting anywhere so midwife gave my oxytocin to help his head descend and said to wait another hour and we'd push again.

After an hour I started pushing again and pushed for about 30 minutes - I found the pushing hard in the sense that they kept telling me to push into my bottom but I couldn't feel my bottom so it made it a bit difficult. After 30 minutes they told me the baby was getting tired and then that his heart rate was dropping. That's when they go the doctor who said I'd need some assistance as the baby was almost crowning but not quite. I think my pushing wasn't great which didn't help although the fact that the epiduarl did not work 100% meant I could tell when I was having contractions still which made things a lot easier. The doc did a vacuum extraction with a very small cut and after a few pushes from me my little man arrived! This was about 6.30pm. According to my notes i was in labour for 4 hours and 3 minutes so hardly any time in the delivery room at all!

A peadiatrician was there in the room (they are called in for all assisted deliveries) and he examined the baby. He was ok but a bit floppy (not moving his arms and legs much) so after some skin on skin with me they put him in an incubator for an hour but it was a portable one in the room so we all stayed together. They didn't seem too concerned and we could see the baby moving around so it wasn't too stressful but I would have preferred more cuddles straight away.

Baby was given the all clear after an hour and they left us in there for another hour all together and we went to the ward then with me a bit dazed that it was all over that quickly!

So, all in all very pleased with my birth experience, I pretty much had the birth I wanted. I have no problem having a ventouse delivery, it was a forceps I really didn't want but luckily he was far enough down that that wasn't necessary.

A bit sore down there now, mainly from bruising - I can't really feel the stitches but otherwise I feel great. I have to say throughout my pregnancy and labour Holles Street were fantastic, I can't fault them anywhere, the service and care I received was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Jennii.

Aww Murdy thanks for sharing your story :) I'm so glad it went so quickly and you've done a fantastic job, he is just gorgeous. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭lynda18

Great story murdy thanks telling

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭DoubleB

Fair play to you Murdy sounds like you did amazingly!

Lynda - how are you feeling? I'm so nervous. I'm going to ask for another sweep first when i first go in, are you?

• Advertisement

A knitter - how are you today? Was hopeful things might progress over night for you?

WE NEED MOAR BABIES!!!! Lots of stubborn June babies around :) Fingers crossed another sweep will help DoubleB!

We're doing well after first sleepless night - he doesn't like going in his crib at all so it was a bit tough but he did sleep for 4 hours from 3 - 7 without stirring so not too bad. Think his Daddy is a bit shell shocked, he sleeps so well during the day that he thought we'd be getting a great nights sleep. Had to tell him that all new parents are exhausted and babies don't know night from day for quite a few weeks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭paperclipgrad

Great story, Murdy! The part before the epidural sounds awful though, that scared me! At least it was all worth it, right? :)

How are you breastfeeders finding feeding during the night? Is it difficult to get them to latch on in the dark? Is the baby crying waking up the guys? I've heard before that guys can sleep like a stone through babies crying!

I agree with needing moar babies, mine seems too comfy though. :( I think I'll be going overdue. Due date is next monday-only 4 days away! I had cramps last night (quite painful too) but they went away....

I picked a name for if it's a boy- Vladimir Rasputin Igor Lastname! Just have to convince husband now.

I think I'll be overdue too :( Why won't they just come out. :( Problem is, we're doing too good a job keeping them all safe haha

I feel really vomity this morning, have the runs and my lower back hurts, in a sort of throbby way...sound like anything? Probably wishful thinking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Love the name paperclip :)

Murdy its an awful shock after the first couple of sleepy days and then the frustration of them sleeping during day and wide awake all night! It does get a little better. We try to keep her awake as much as we can during day which is hard as you are so tempted after bad night to let them sleep so you can rest. Plenty of walks/being in the outside helps to turn the clock round.

I had a shock last night, baby fed around 10.30 and by 12.30 was asleep - I fell asleep myself expecting to be woken at 2.30- except we all slept till 5.45! And that was me waking, not baby. I was a bit worried....

Oh yes and husband can't hear her at night as much, I wake up with a grunt.

Double b I am nervous too. I looked at chart and had bishop
    Score of 3 so can end up in induction not successful and section.
    Doctor didnt think point me getting other sweep so think I'm straight into gel
    I was very sore from internal other day feel
    Really sore down there and the amount of mucus I lost is unreal.
    How where u?

Kk that sounds amazing wit sleep. Be great if night time increase ;)

Papergillard hope it is a sign for u.

lynda18 wrote: »
    Kk that sounds amazing wit sleep. Be great if night time increase ;)

Papergillard hope it is a sign for u.

The thing is, she would have slept more but I woke her up as I thought it was a bit long between feeds.. does anyone know?

She had 7 feeds instead of 6 the previous day so maybe she could go longer...

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Goodluck today lynda and doubleb I'll be praying that everything progresses quickly for you!

Krankykitty that's amazing she went that long, I think it's fine, with Sean I'm just going with the flow and it's working for us! Sometimes sean will go 5 hours at night, I just try get as much of his bottle into him during the day and as long as they are putting on weight that's all that matters :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

daisy feeds every 3-4 hours. She is staying awake longer and i have to increase her feed amounts now. I dont mind breastfeeding though its time consuming, but the bond is amazing.Feeding takes an hour compared to a bottle which is 10- 20mins. I express for the night time so its quicker. Other half does night feeds. I usually crash at 11 - 12 so he takes over. He is a night owl. He usually pops her into the moses basket at 3-4am and then heads to the spare room for undisturbed sleep and i get up anywhere from 6 - 7 am. Though im combo feeding breast and bottle i was told to in the hospital as she was preterm. Im delighted with her she was weighed last week at 6.2lb and has gone up this week to 6.9lb :D Her cheeks are well chubby now and i just kiss them all the time lol .

Come on june babies we want more baby stories to share.How are the pregnant ladies feeling? Do baths help with the cramps and pains? I found them good. Are any of ye interested in labouring in water? I wasnt allowed coz of complications.

I'd love to labour in water, but Limerick maternity doesn't offer birthing pools. As a compromise, I'm planning my pain relief like this:

Hot bath & breathing>>TENS machine>>gas and air>>pethidine>>epidural. My sister in law went to 7cm with TENS alone and only needed the gas and air afterwards. I'm hoping to go the same way. I'd prefer to avoid opioids if I can.

See how it goes...

It's great hearing from everyone with babies, nice reminder that there IS a point to all this!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Fairie

The thing is, she would have slept more but I woke her up as I thought it was a bit long between feeds.. does anyone know?

She had 7 feeds instead of 6 the previous day so maybe she could go longer...

Sorry for butting in over from December thread. With dd I found that for the first 8 to 12 weeks following her lead was best. If she was sleeping I let her sleep some times it could have been an hour others she could have slept up to 5 or 6 hours at a time. When baby is hungry they won't be long about letting you know! I also know of others who fed baby every 3 to 4 hours and woke baby if they needed to and this worked for them. Go with what is best for you and baby and what works best for both of you. Congratulations on your new little bundle :)

Great story, Murdy! The part before the epidural sounds awful though, that scared me! At least it was all worth it,

It was worth it :) And it wouldn't have been as bad if contractions had built up more gradually and I'd dilated at a more normal pace! It just all started happening to me really fast.

I think I'd be more inclined to let them sleep until they ask for food, if they're hungry they'll let you know. The midwife just called in to see me and check and said baby should be eating more per feed so he's waking up more often then he should. I think I'll happily let him sleep until he asks! My milk has also come in so she was lots of help with our options for getting breast milk into him - will be spending my afternoon doing that! I have rock hard boobs :)

Ladies- I'm apparently having contractions every 7- 8 minutes. Why can't I feel them? I'm having the odd pain and discomfort but doesn't feel like a contraction. Midwife reckons I might go myself tonight and not need the gel- hmmmmmmm strange.

• Advertisement

Does your stomach tighten up during a contraction?

Yeah very much so. It gets really rock hard also havin lower back pain lots of it but all very bareable and not strong enough I'm sure!

Don't worry- I'm sure it'll intensify and you'll be eating your words! Best of luck with it-we're all rooting for you!

My contractions were a tightening at first, not painful - this is when they were 9 - 10 mins apart. I was on a trace and contractions were appearing but I couldn't feel them much. They got a lot stronger and I'm sure yours will too - you'll know all about it I promise you! They will intensify.

I'm so excited for you now!!

Good luck Double B!

Baths are so good, but they overheat me too quick, so won't stay in too long, and they get boring haha. Might bring himself in tonight :D I'm so tired of being pregnant, hope she comes soon. How's everyone with baby's doing? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

oh good luck DoubleB. Here's hoping you avoid induction.

We had a day of it here too. Similar to you doubleB lots and lots of contractions but not that painful - however, constant since 8.30am this morning. They vary between every 5 minutes and about 10 minutes and can last up to a minute. We went into hospital and they asked did I want to stay in or go home and I said go home. I'd much rather labour at home then in the hospital (esp because as I went over on the other 2 I know that they can just as easily stop as well as progress) so i'm knackered now - we stopped in mcdonalds on the way home and I'm in bed watching rubbish tv. Doc said to come back as soon as they get really painful - should have difficulty walking and talking through them and need to be 5-8 minutes apart. Fingers crossed I do progress throughout the evening but at least I know I haven't started to dilate yet as everyone has put the fear in me about how quick you can go on your 3rd. So hopefully things will happen - but i'd rather wait it out at home than in the ward in holles st. That said, I've had so many BH over the last few weeks that i'm convinced i'll fall asleep and wake up in the morning and everything will have stopped again!! this baby is the ultimate tease... ;-)

glad to hear that everything is going so well for all the new mummys!! you've made me even more impatient now - can't wait to get my baby in my arms!!

I had a lot of nausea and throbby sore back pains this morning, back pains turned more constant and I've been having some contractions (braxtons?) every 15 minutes, they last about a minute long....wonder if this could be it? So hard to tell!

Highly-- SOUNDS PROMISING!!!

Hoping we get a few more babies by the end of the week- looks like that's how it'll go! Godspeed, ladies!

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I had a lot of nausea and throbby sore back pains this morning, back pains turned more constant and I've been having some contractions (braxtons?) every 15 minutes, they last about a minute long....wonder if this could be it? So hard to tell!

Highly-- SOUNDS PROMISING!!!

Hoping we get a few more babies by the end of the week- looks like that's how it'll go! Godspeed, ladies!

oh good luck to you too - maybe tonight is our lucky night!! I'm due tomorrow and I always thought i'd go early but that's not happening but i'll take my due date :)

it was my MIL and mum who convinced me to go to hospital - I did think myself it was too early - but it's so hard when you've other kids - we run the risk of waking and lifting them to bring them to grannys in the middle of the night - now i'd happily do it in order to progress but at least I know where I am now - I haven't started to dilate so go home and let nature take it's course - hopefully the right course!!

All i'm going with is that if this does progress into full blown labour - i'm going to know all about it!! (as MW and others have said - once the contractions / BH turn into proper labour you do know all about it!!)

wishing us all lots of luck!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Oh good luck to you girls, I really hope it's the start of something x

Advertisement