Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

There are some lads on this thread who need to seriously cop the fcuk on.

You are a d1ckead if in these times you are wishing for broadcasters to get pay cuts or lose their jobs and then pedantically try and back up your points using grammar or how something is phrased as an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

deisedude wrote: »
    There are some lads on this thread who need to seriously cop the fcuk on.

You are a d1ckead if in these times you are wishing for broadcasters to get pay cuts or lose their jobs and then pedantically try and back up your points using grammar or how something is phrased as an argument.

Why don’t you just talk directly to me instead of saying some lads?

It was a stupid comment I made that I apologised for that I hadn’t fully thought through, if you’re offended I apologise but there’s nothing more I can say to you and what’s the point of rehashing it again 24 hours later?

While I’m not a fan of Richie McCormack or Ger Gilroy’s broadcasting I have no doubt that personally they’re very nice people and I wish no ill will towards them whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

redbuck wrote: »
    Why don’t you just talk directly to me instead of saying some lads?

It was a stupid comment I made that I apologised for that I hadn’t fully thought through, if you’re offended I apologise but there’s nothing more I can say to you and what’s the point of rehashing it again 24 hours later?

While I’m not a fan of Richie McCormack or Ger Gilroy’s broadcasting I have no doubt that personally they’re very nice people and I wish no ill will towards them whatsoever.

It wasn't just you I was referring to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I'd say they were only delighted to have the Mick McCarthy story, like an oasis in the desert.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Mod Note

A reminder to stay civil, if you have an issue with posts please report them, don't attack posters

thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I'd say they were only delighted to have the Mick McCarthy story, like an oasis in the desert.

I think most people were glad of the Mick McCarthy story for many reasons!

Also Liverpool's U-turn on the furloughing was another story for the sports people to bleed the living daylight out of.

I havnt listened much recently - either to OTB AM or the evening show. Must be very difficult for them and I wonder how the hell they will drag another month of two out of that is being done currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

They've fairly milked it alright. They must have spoked to about 20 ex Irish internationals about it. Hard to blame them with no sport on I guess.

They had Dermot Kennedy on Gladiator today. Verging on Monkey Tennis territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Yes i too have not tuned in to OTB in couple of weeks. And wont be either. And to be honest the last thing i want to hear about is Mick McCarthy getting 1.3 million into his bank account for doing nothing while a huge portion of the country are on social welfare with no work and people very sick and dying. I just couldn't care less about that and avoided listening to any of it. The money the likes of McCarthy are on is disgusting. And then hes praised for walking away with dignity as if we should be grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Seen as they have exhausted most of the nostalgia topics, here is something they should give a good bit of time to over the weekend given they promoted this "virtual" Grand National on all their sports news bulletins last Saturday.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/columnists/oisin-mcconville-sham-national-was-a-desperate-shameful-act-by-gambling-industry-993034.html

It might lead to some uncomfortable conversations with their sponsors and hit them in the pocket so maybe this is not a moral crusade they will bother with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

I don't know why but i can't stand Johnny Ward, fuking does my head in.

• Advertisement

Is there literally anything Johny Ward isn't an expert on? Ha some boyo.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭deise man

statesaver wrote: »
    Same here. He's an authority on everything. On another note does John Duggan get commission from texts sent in. How many times does he say 53106.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Is there literally anything Johny Ward isn't an expert on? Ha some boyo.
    deise man wrote: »
    Same here. He's an authority on everything. On another note does John Duggan get commission from texts sent in. How many times does he say 53106.

Ward is entertaining, passionate about sport, not afraid to express an opinion.
    Hard to see how that could be a bad thing on a talk radio sports show.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭howareyakid

statesaver wrote: »

Sometimes I think he’s very engaging... other times not so much. Remember someone posting here before that he’s a very charismatic guy. He does come across as a bit of a character.

I like Johnny he adds a bit of colour to the show that was missing since the departure of Wooly.

I really enjoy the Saturday show when hes on with Dan McDonnell, its consistently the best thing OTB put out in my opinion.

Ward is entertaining, passionate about sport, not afraid to express an opinion.
    Hard to see how that could be a bad thing on a talk radio sports show.

Its not bad. Not bad at all. I think he's quite funny actually. Bit mad as i said before but engaging and has a bit of old fashioned charisma.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

redbuck wrote: »
    I like Johnny he adds a bit of colour to the show that was missing since the departure of Wooly.

I really enjoy the Saturday show when hes on with Dan McDonnell, its consistently the best thing OTB put out in my opinion.
    I like Dan Mcdonnell too. He seems to be the most level headed pundit out there.

I like Dan Mcdonnell too. He seems to be the most level headed pundit out there.

Spot on. Dan the man is quality.

Tommy Conlan is a far better print journalist than radio pundit.

Good to hear Mick Mccarthys disgusting 1.2m golden handshake is being ridiculed by Conlan. A pathetic situation that deserves to be slated. Pure corruption and greed. But hey lets all clap Mccarthy away as he walked with dignity. Give me a break.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Tommy Conlan is a far better print journalist than radio pundit.

Im amazed by how entitled Sports journalists feel to talk about the right of Other people to have their own money and spend it as they wish since this virus started. Tommy being the latest example saying mick should return his compensation.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Im amazed by how entitled Sports journalists feel to talk about the right of Other people to have their own money and spend it as they wish since this virus started. Tommy being the latest example saying mick should return his compensation.

It shouldnt been given in the first place. Was done by a corrupt gangster trying desperately to hang on to his job and keep everybody happy.

It shouldnt been given in the first place. Was done by a corrupt gangster trying desperately to hang on to his job and keep everybody happy.

Yes, that’s fair comment.

Saying other people should spend their legally earned income as you approve of is wrong and should be called out. A persons legally earned contracted income is their business.

Busy bodies all over Twitter and papers becoming financial advisors since this virus started.

It’s absolutely rife in the UK but over here now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

deise man wrote: »
    On another note does John Duggan get commission from texts sent in. How many times does he say 53106.

Can't understand how he's been given a free pass over Cheltenham

Yes, that’s fair comment.

Saying other people should spend their legally earned income as you approve of is wrong and should be called out. A persons legally earned contracted income is their business.

Busy bodies all over Twitter and papers becoming financial advisors since this virus started.

It’s absolutely rife in the UK but over here now as well.

I see your point. While i think the golden handshake to McCarthy is reprehensible i wouldn't be one to advise him to give it back or give it to charity as Conlon mentioned. It just stinks of corruption to me and needs to be highlighted for what it is. Taking the mick it is (pardon the pun). It will be a long time before i ever go to an Irish international again. The FAI have done so much damage under that creeps reign that i couldn't justify paying one cent into their murky coffers. You could say i'm cutting my nose off to spite my face and my sole ticket embargo wont matter a jot but it's my own personal protest vote and im entitled to that. They have always been a shadowy organisation and deserve nothing but scorn.

I see your point. While i think the golden handshake to McCarthy is reprehensible i wouldn't be one to advise him to give it back or give it to charity as Conlon mentioned. It just stinks of corruption to me and needs to be highlighted for what it is. Taking the mick it is (pardon the pun). It will be a long time before i ever go to an Irish international again. The FAI have done so much damage under that creeps reign that i couldn't justify paying one cent into their murky coffers. You could say i'm cutting my nose off to spite my face and my sole ticket embargo wont matter a jot but it's my own personal protest vote and im entitled to that. They have always been a shadowy organisation and deserve nothing but scorn.

Listen, ur money is your business to do as you wish. There are ways of supporting Irish soccer without giving anything to the FAI (LOI). Perhaps you already contribute to grass roots.

I’ll give the FAI money when they have a team worth supporting with players that get me excited. In that respect I’m a discerning consumer and I make no apologies for it.

On a completely different note it must be a scary looking cash flow statement at the FAI at the moment. They have absolutely no money coming In apart from Bailout cash. Scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Can't understand how he's been given a free pass over Cheltenham

...because there was only one case reported in Ireland of someone who had been to Cheltenham being diagnosed with Covid-19. If there had been loads the reaction would have been very different. Not that I would single out one presenter would was sent to cover the event. The real culprits are the English and Irish Governments and the The Jockey Club.

Listen, ur money is your business to do as you wish. There are ways of supporting Irish soccer without giving anything to the FAI (LOI). Perhaps you already contribute to grass roots.

I’ll give the FAI money when they have a team worth supporting with players that get me excited. In that respect I’m a discerning consumer and I make no apologies for it.

On a completely different note it must be a scary looking cash flow statement at the FAI at the moment. They have absolutely no money coming In apart from Bailout cash. Scary.

Im a Shamrock Rovers supporter and try get to about 10 home games each season. Ill go to few away Dublin derbies also. I work Friday nights so i pick and choose the games i wish to see.

Different ball game paying the FAI money to go to a game in Landsdowne Rd. Just not going to happen for a long time to come.

Its hard to believe anything in regards the FAIs financial situation. I know the conman is gone but after so many years of total lies it will take a long time to gain my trust about anything they have to say. Sure the finances cant be great but their experts at playing the poor mouth and getting money for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭howareyakid

Really enjoyable interview with Jason McAteer just there with Joe.

• Advertisement

Ahwell wrote: »
    ...because there was only one case reported in Ireland of someone who had been to Cheltenham being diagnosed with Covid-19. If there had been loads the reaction would have been very different. Not that I would single out one presenter would was sent to cover the event. The real culprits are the English and Irish Governments and the The Jockey Club.

I personally know two people who went to Cheltenham and had contracted Corvid 19 within about 10 days of coming home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement