Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It was with Johnny Ward, a big Horse man. About 9 mins in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y9LX5fBJjs&t=475s

Johnny Ward, big bogger accent on him (not that I have a problem with them accents, I have one myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Just listening to Big Mike Quirke now on OTB.

He's probably the best GAA analyst OTB have - he is an excellent coach and a good thinker on the game. Wasnt a bad footballer back in the day either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,594 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Haven't heard the show much lately.

Turned it on last night: Coming up, we're talking Cheltenham.

Turned it on today: Now we have some bloke on to talk about the odds in the Champion's League.

Won't be turning it on again for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Just noticed this article today from Declan Lynch. He devotes an article to, yeah you've guessed it, gambling.

"When I was a teenage punter - not so much a betting man as a betting boy - it would probably have seemed strange to me that at Cheltenham time, a top jockey would be doing ads for a top bookie like Terry Rogers or Sean Graham." etc etc

It had me thinking if he has been on the show over the last while. He used to do the papers on a Sunday and contribute to other bits. But I haven't heard him on the show since the relationship with Boyle Sports. I was wondering if he had just stepped back from the show after he walked in and saw Richie and Eoin Sheahan putting up the Boyle Sports bunting around the presenter's desk? Or was he taking more of a Ray D'Arcy approach to things (i.e. be a complete hypocrite and just go along with it).

Listening to the show tonight. I liked BOD but that Eoin guy is so annoying. Such a terrible nasal voice for radio. Can imagine he's a little narrow fella with a pointy nose.

He seemed to not have any idea of any intricacies of rugby, only going for extremes..i.e something like "joe is dictatorish and the players are oppressed".....players were fine under him a few months ago.

Why is Joe Molloy interviewing Tom Dunne on OTB? It's a sports show ffs. Turned it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Listening to the show tonight. I liked BOD but that Eoin guy is so annoying. Such a terrible nasal voice for radio. Can imagine he's a little narrow fella with a pointy nose.

He seemed to not have any idea of any intricacies of rugby, only going for extremes..i.e something like "joe is dictatorish and the players are oppressed".....players were fine under him a few months ago.

Why is Joe Molloy interviewing Tom Dunne on OTB? It's a sports show ffs. Turned it off.

Because Tom recently had life saving heart surgery and OTB were supporting a healthy heart campaign.

On Bank Holiday Mondays, they playback pieces rather than have a normal show.

Because Tom recently had life saving heart surgery and OTB were supporting a healthy heart campaign.

On Bank Holiday Mondays, they playback pieces rather than have a normal show.

When I tune in to listen to a discussion on sports, I literally couldn't care less about Tom Dunnes heart.

When I tune in to listen to a discussion on sports, I literally couldn't care less about Tom Dunnes heart.

It was literally about 5 minutes if I remember correctly.

The whole purpose was about awareness. You might not give a sh*t about being reminded to get checked out but, so what, most would be thankful to hear of a positive story in relation to heart disease.

When you can't articulate any reasoned analysis, there's always the mocking someone's appearance option.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Will be interesting see how much, if any, coverage there is of the Delaney loan later given his links with the station’s owner and FAI benefactor.

• Advertisement

amlinopta wrote: »
    Will be interesting see how much, if any, coverage there is of the Delaney loan later given his links with the station’s owner and FAI benefactor.

Well, Dan McDonnel is a regular guest on the show and he has no love for Delaney or the FAI so I expect it will get covered.

Dan was tweeting about it over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Well, Dan McDonnel is a regular guest on the show and he has no love for Delaney or the FAI so I expect it will get covered.

Dan was tweeting about it over the weekend.

Yeah, I forgot it was a bank holiday and fully expected them to be chewing over the topic for the first hour last night.

Any coverage of the John Delaney stuff yet? I think it tells you something about the ridiculous levels of pay in the FAI when the company has to go to a staff member for the lend of a few quid, as opposed to a staff member approaching the company for the lend of a few quid.

Any coverage of the John Delaney stuff yet? I think it tells you something about the ridiculous levels of pay in the FAI when the company has to go to a staff member for the lend of a few quid, as opposed to a staff member approaching the company for the lend of a few quid.

The FAI sent out an online survey yesterday.

Most of it was about going to international matches and the experience around that but there were some questions on the perception of the organisation.

Probably was prescheduled but I can imagine the responses they are getting on it. Would be very interesting to see.

Imagine the results will be buried or used to indicate support for what they are doing.

I wonder if the sport Ireland enquiry yesterday will amount to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The Jason mcateer stories and “banter” - I’m not a fan. Tedious to listen to

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Don't listen to OTB AM anymore as they have poor quests.

Sheahan constantly trying acting smart is very boring. Gilroy & Sheehan are a bad duo imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Jason mcateer stories and “banter” - I’m not a fan. Tedious to listen to

We've kind of heard them all before now. They were funny when he first started appearing on the show 6, 7 years ago.

We've kind of heard them all before now. They were funny when he first started appearing on the show 6, 7 years ago.

Did you hear the one about when him and Barnes got fired :)

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Enjoying the fun being poked at Declan Rice during the news round here

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Funny how they're going on so much about how happy the McCarthy press conferences are. Jeez, they haven't played a match yet. The honeymoon hasn't even been consummated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,594 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Jesus Christ.

In the car for 15 mins. Interview with Stephen Kenny. Fair enough. Update on other teams in the group? Good. Bookie giving what odds "you can get" on the other matches today? Fair eno...wait, what? Will yis f*ck off.

They are getting some mileage out of John Delaney tonight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

They are getting some mileage out of John Delaney tonight.

To be fair, it's a big story. Even bigger if Georgia grab a win tomorrow.

mzungu wrote: »

It is alright, but I'm not sure why they needed to discuss it with Dan McDonell twice. And Eoin Hand, like the dumped girlfriend, seemed like he just wanted to talk about how he himself had been maligned!!!:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

It is alright, but I'm not sure why they needed to discuss it with Dan McDonell twice. And Eoin Hand, like the dumped girlfriend, seemed like he just wanted to talk about how he himself had been maligned!!!:pac:

Ah, a corrupt bunch like the FAI deserve the double ribbing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Joe quickly on the defensive when Eoin mentioned Delaney’s links to Pat Hickey and the OCI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭cmac2009

mzungu wrote: »

It was the same on Sunday, Joe spoke with Nathan after 1pm about the details and then Dan after 2pm, rehashing the same information. More commentary on it in the paper review. Understand the importance of the story but when you keep going over the same details it becomes very tedious.

cmac2009 wrote: »
    It was the same on Sunday, Joe spoke with Nathan after 1pm about the details and then Dan after 2pm, rehashing the same information. More commentary on it in the paper review. Understand the importance of the story but when you keep going over the same details it becomes very tedious.

I'd say the entire sports media is delighted to have this angle on which to comment as conversation around the national team performance and prospects is turgid.

When I was in National school in the late 80's, I used to plague my dad to give me permission to take a half day to come home and watch mid-week games which used be on on Wednesday afternoon's.
    Last Saturday evening, I was at home on my own and I didn't even turn on the television.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

They desperately need another football analyst.

They only have Kilbane who was a footballer. Constantly crossing over to get Nathan Murphy's opinion.
    Doesn't even need to be a footballer just someone interesting with good insight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ahwell

MD1990 wrote: »
    They desperately need another football analyst.

They only have Kilbane who was a footballer. Constantly crossing over to get Nathan Murphy's opinion.
    Doesn't even need to be a footballer just someone interesting with good insight.

Kilbane isn't on as often as he used to be. Gary Breen and Daniel McDonnell are regulars these days. I think they're both good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement