Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

I have commuted a lot in the last 10 years, in all sorts of weather, but I have to say that today set a new benchmark for poor conditions. I'll be throwing the bike on an early off-peak dart to go home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

We were in phibsboro earlier and the footpaths which has already had some sun were still icy.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭devonp

brought the bike in y'day morning and then had a work do y'day afternoon so decided to leave the bike and get the train home...good thing too it was properly white and crispy by the time i got to leixlip after 9pm

train in and think i'll leave the bike here ...footpaths lethal when i went to get lunch..and its colddddd

might roll out the rollers this weekend 🤔

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I cycled in. Strange given I fell on the dry non icy day. 42c tyres were able for it. Going to stick ice tyres on to a spare wheel for next week

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭dahat

It will be trainer for me all weekend. I would have no confidence in going out plus if I went down that’s a nice block of winter training down the drain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Mental out there. Really icy this morning. Much better this eve but still really dicey. Have To be in heuston at 8am tomorrow, no chance I'm pedaling

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tomorrow, the temp is not forecast to go above 0C.

it goes from -0C to 0C at noon, and drops back to -0C at 2pm...

Checked PT options and looks like I'm pedaling in unless I want to leave 2 and a half hours earlier than you'd cycle🤦‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Where are you cycling from, I cycled through the Phoenix Park this morning shortly after 06:00 and back again around 17:00. I usually go down White's Road and in by Farmleigh but avoided that this morning and went through Castleknock Village and the full length of Chesterfield Avenue. The cycle lanes were brutal and very dodgy so stuck to the road which was ok. Literally no traffic this morning and only had 2 cars overtake in the park but busy enough in the evening and thankfully had no hassle from any motorist, even had a cop car pass me out at one stage.

Stick to as much primary roads as you can, avoid the front brake and very ginger with handlebar movement. That said it is very bad in parts and often you come upon such spots and there's little you can do. Came off the bike for the first time in years only 50m from home, small slope and bend which was like an ice rink, was trying to avoid hitting the kerb and bike went from under me and hip/leg took the brunt.

eeeee knows how to handle her bike better than most here

• Advertisement

I had to go from Southside to Heuston Station, then from Cork Station to ballincollig, then out to cobh and back to Cork. Wimped out of cobh cork and got the train there and back. On train again, I'll be heading back Southside from heuston again.

Was all over the place the last few days, north south and west in the city, it's grim enough.

I have to say after today that Dublin motorists are more patient than cork ones. Have To cycle in the tracks in freezy roads, cars happy enough to wait behind and give ya space when overtaking, not so much in Cork!

I hack around on a fixie, don't touch the front brake at the best of times! Only bike I'll ride in slippery conditions. Gentle rear 'braking' and consistent pedaling is the order of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I wimped out of cycling and went for a 12k run. I was reminded why I do long cycles not long runs.

Running is not for the 100kg tall fellas

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭dahat

That running game for lads like us is self inflicted torture.

Bamly 0 degrees locally & no sign of frost so almost tempted to chance it tomorrow.

i think the strongest wind i've cycled in was just over 40km/h. forecast to be consistently about 50km/h today, gusting to over 80, i may wimp out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I wimped out this week, just horrid conditions to cycle in. Plenty of people out on the bike mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Commuted home last night. Great fun in the new Castelli ShakeDry... until my pedal broke cycling up from Bray to Windgates. Don't know what happened to it... spindle is still attached to the crank, and pedal is still attached to the cleat... will have a look this evening. Bizarre one.

Also, Galibier full finger leather gloves were excellent in the downpour. I stuck on a pair of ultralight waterproof overglove mitts after an hour though as I didn't want to push my luck. Worked a treat.

I really don't mind the rain when you've got the right gear for it. It's the wind that destroys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yesterday wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but managed to avoid rain to go with the wind. It is, at least, mild.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've just arrived in work after an extended commute (40km compared to my usual 13km).

The wind was definitley hard going despite Strava telling me that it was only(!) 37.4km/h. I even found that going into the wind on some downhills, I had to pedal hard just to keep a moderate pace.

But it didn't really rain which was nice!

https://www.strava.com/activities/8378812840

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Wind has been wonderful in the mornings, I left 10minutes late one day and arrived 10 minutes early but the returns are starting to grate a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭tnegun

Cycled in this am and the wind wasn't too bad and behind me for the most part. Just back from lunch and it's difficult to walk against it now in West Dublin!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Cycled in yesterday, no issues in or out, but saw forecasted winds in excess of 50km/hr for 7pm, so in the interest of self preservation, I wimped out.

I'm back home a short while now. Took my usual 13km route home and Strava is telling me that that wind was 48.3km/h. It definitely felt like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭De Bhál

5km home. Lethal winds. Very unpleasant, one of the very few times I'd prefer to be in a car or bus. Also forgot my gloves this morning which didn't help. Luckily only a short enough spin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭tnegun

Cycling home around 6.30 wasn't too bad either thankfully just one or two bad gusts over the 20km!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Strava giving wind speed of 59.8km/h for my commute home this evening - a few squeaky bum moments. Had to go under a fallen tree blocking Turvey Avenue.

I lifted a fair few branches out of the drumcondra bus lane this evening. Bus driver behind didn't seem to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭cletus

Within about 10 minutes of starting my spin this morning rain clouds rolled in (yes, I should have checked the weather before I went out)

Decided to push on a bit and see how it went, but once the thunder and lightning started to roll overhead, I decided to turn for home.

To top it off, I just fell in my kitchen because I'd made the floor so wet with with my gear

I'm currently sheltering under trees at a Eadestown crossroads between Naas & Blessington as it's lashing out here. Poxy summers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭cletus

It has blown over somewhat here, hopefully it does for you too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

Almost wimped out , sent the message, and then manned up and asked for a 5 min extension, as it happens turned up just on time. Only caught the edge of a shower thankfully.

Advertisement