Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Very much regretting not wimping out this morning…. Hoping it dries up slightly, plenty of flooded roads

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I made the call to cycle to work. The way over wasn't too bad but looking out the window, maybe I'll stay here tonight.

At one point on my way in, I was pushing it on the N4 buslane as a bus was behind me and after going over a manhole the left side arms of my front raceblade mudguard suddenly went flying out to one side. Initially (given the bang from it) I thought the mudguard had snapped so quickly made the decision to keep going - turns out it didn't snap. I'm still not entirely sure what happened as the bump from the manhole wasn't much. Anyhow, I'll check for them on the way home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Absolutely pelting down now in Dublin 11. They resurfaced the road in Phibsboro with fresh tarmac last week, but blocked up some of the drains with said tarmac so I assume there's going to be a bit of flooding there today.

If it is any consolation @Weepsie, it was unreal at grange Castle up until a short time ago with heavy rain and thunder & lightning. The sky was dark and you could barely see the buildings in the next unit in the business park.

Now, the rain has eased off a little and I can see the hills around Saggart on the horizon. Maybe the rain there will ease off with no flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Rock and Merrion Roads were very flooded this morning - out to the centre of the road at some points. They were working on clearing the drains on the Merrion Road as I passed at circa 8.15.

I no longer drive into the city, but wet and all as I was, still way happier than the people in lines and lines of cars (and I have little faith in the darts in such conditions not being affected in some way).

Shoes (full of newspaper) might just be dry for hometime!

• Advertisement

I'm safely at home today. Staring at my cat who has decided to go out and sit at the shed for some reason right now. Seems to be a massive shower every 45 mins to an hour at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Wasn’t too bad coming home in the end, bar the monstrous winds on the coast road at Clontarf, and parts of the Alfie Byrne cycle path being flooded completely.

Poor bike needs a proper wash though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

due to get nice and calm by tomorrow morning at least.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I hope so, it wasn't as bad as some would have you believe but I'd still rather not have to deal with it.

Still a bit of flooding on the Rock Road this morning in a couple of spots with the whole bus lane flooded. Lots of pillock motorists using the bus lane more an issue for me this morning though!

• Advertisement

I won't lie, only others are sick in work at the minute, I'd have happily stayed at home. I did not want to go out in that.

Scheduled remote day for me! But did go for a very wet run (off season nonsense!).

Scheduled remote day for me also and I'm happy enough just looking out the window - I've done my time in windy wet weather recently!

Just a day off for me.I've done so little cycling since May anyway that another day of sitting around with the cat is no harm

I expect that this thread will be busy today. Alas the weather for me was fine on the way to the train so I now just get to look out at what I inevitably must stray into.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭alentejo

I think I hit hit peak rain at 9 am in Dublin. Thought the heaviest of the rain would hold off another hour! Anyway god knows how long the bus might have taken

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Haven't cycled to work in years.

But may the force be with any of you brave souls on two wheels in Dublin this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I managed to miss the heavy rain on the way in. Marvelled at how my shoes were only slightly damp from road spray and felt smug at having worn shoe covers. But decided to leave them to dry out next to open window. Didn't feel quite so smug when I got back from my shower to realise they'd been drenched by rain blown in the open window. Sssssake!!!

That was a character building commute this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

A mighty push all the way from Bray to D2 this morning.

Currently carb loading for the spin home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Paddigol

It was great wasn't it, LOLZ. I used the prospect of the return journey to justify a Burger King.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Avoided it by about a minute into and out of town.

I feel like I've won something.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Had planned a 100k cycle today, on skinny tyres, centred in lowland Kildare.

Looks like all such larking about is off the cards for the foreseeable. Pity, cause it would be a very pretty day out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'd taken today off work, booked it last week with the intention of getting a decent spin in. I've abandoned that notion.

I walked today though I reckon the roads were in better shape than the paths.

I tend to WFH on fridays but I'm tempted to head out on the hybrid later. Although the main roads around me will be fine, anything off the main road won't be suitable for a road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭ngunners

Definitely. I cycled and the main roads were fine. Side roads less so. Footpaths and cycle lanes were a bit dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭alentejo

I cycled in to work from terenure to city centre. Roads mainly fine if you kept to the main traffic lane.

The snow and ice seamed to be slightly course which helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

Footpaths Ive seen today in Dublin are lethal looking, saw a local green councilor on at the council to grit the paths and cycleways aswell

• Advertisement

Yeah with the really low sun there are some stretches near me that are north facing or otherwise sheltered that won't see the sun at all today. I saw some lads unloading a wheel barrow and shovels from a wagon on my way back so looks like they'll be gritting some of those paths.

Radio saying next gritting on the roads is 7pm

Advertisement