Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

Brave doing the n4 today. That bus lane is 100% lethal. The bicycle "lane" is in a shocking state but honestly I would be using that the next time, most of it at least.

You are going from leixlip right? I'm going via westmanstown / lutrellstown currently and finding it ok.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd hold the opposite view. The N4 bus lane generally is fine and you can build up a decent enough pace on it. The road past westmanstown though encourages (in my experience) close passes into bends.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Bloody cars cutting across junctions and blocking yellow boxes, taxis who should have expected buses and bikes to go when the light went green. They didn't even have a green as their filter light was red. Man, some days, just f*ck people in general.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

yeah, I know. its six of one, half dozen of the other. Just my experiences on the n4 bus lane, particularly before woodies have been fairly horrible. White vans, private busses, taxis, going past you at speed, with very little clearance and beeping at you. I find it easier to keep an eye on the traffic behind me on the quieter backroads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

I wimped out today, fair play, saw a fair few of you on strava, dedicated souls. The older I get...its the cleaning of the bike that puts me off rather than cycling in the rain 😉🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It was pretty miserable alright. To make things worse, I had a hectic day at work so forgot about trying to dry my gear and had to don the same cold and wet stuff for the commute home.

Some obnoxious motorists out there this morning. I got blasted out of it by a few just because I moved out a little to avoid standing water.

First time in full length bibs since May. Autumn is finally here.

That was a tough call to walk out the door this morning, no sleep, complete darkness, decent rainfall. Glad I did but cars were giving me the whole width of the road, probably thought I was unhinged and likely to do anything.

On my commute this morning, the rain had eased off but because of it, traffic along the N4 by Lucan was crazy. One motorcyclist travelling along the bus lane made a point that I should have been on the adjacent footpath/cycle path despite me doing about 35km/h. I think the irony of his instruction was lost on him given he is not meant to be in the bus lane!

Further on as I turned from the Ballyowen Rd onto the Nangor Rd, I had the driver of a courier van offer me the same suggestion (despite the cycle lane ending about 100m further on).

I'm also conscious of the Oireachtas meeting yesterday on garda policing of motoring offences in relation to active travel. Did I see any gardai today? What do you think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭tnegun

I wonder was it the same guy as I had a motorcyclist try to point this out to me in pretty much the same location too pointing at this sign https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3568179,-6.4646588,3a,15y,103.89h,88.46t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWcrR8YbeBinKCOGHGROTuA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 which actually depicts the lane as being a shared bus and bike lane!

It was on the Woodies side of the Newcastle junction.

At least the N4 sign in your link is a legal sign. I've been beeped along the Ballyowen Rd south of the Grange Castle roundabout. The bus lane signs there aren't legal (they should be using RUS 028). I've reported it to SDCC a few times and been consistently ignored.

I've also had people pull alongside me a couple of times on the Ballyowen Rd (R136) bus lane and inform me that that I shouldn't be cycling on a motorway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Poxy ingrown hair. First time in a few years I've had one bad enough to keep me off the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭cletus

I'm happy to wimp out this morning. I was putting gear on as the rain started. Took it back off, and put the kettle on instead (to boil, not to wear 😁)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, that was the consolation for me. wasn't due to rain, but it started drizzling about 15 mins ago, looks like more on the way.

Hair or cyst? I've had a pilonidal cyst for years. Can't remember now why I didn't have it removed, I vaguely recall the doctor telling me it wasn't bad enough and the treatment wasn't worth it in my case. It didn't bother me for a good few years but has flared back up in recent times. Though not really that painful compared to what it used to be.

I assume just a hair.

I woke, heard mother nature knocking at the side of the house and decided while it was fine KOM weather it was not worth getting out of bed for

I was asked to lead our club spin today. The Met Eireann app forecasted strong SW wind but at least it would be dry. It was to be cold initially but would warm up. Plus while I would be taking my old/winter/commuting bike, I wouldn't need mudguards.

10 minutes away from home and the rain came. I, with toe covers rather than shoe covers, started getting cold wet feet. The rain was on and off during the morning.

Feckin Met Eireann app. Too many times I've trusted the forecast only to see the weather be considerably different.

Apparently yr.no was also forecasting a dry day.

• Advertisement

Two days in a row for me. Late getting out of bed, so missed the rainless window.

Might go for a run instead. That's usually a miserable experience anyway, so getting wet won't make much difference either way

Is it raining there? The rainfall radar looks quite clear.

Here in Rathangan? We've had a rain shower since I got up. Hazy sunshine at the moment, with overcast conditions rolling in from the west.

Brisk wind (according to the trees outside my window).

Currently 6°c with an expected high of 12°c later today.

I'll keep you updated, though 😂😂😂

Turns out I might just be lazy. I've been watching dark clouds in the sky all day long, thinking "it's going to rain shortly". Hasn't rained. Still no cycle done

fine KOM weather tomorrow - close to 50km/h winds forecast for dublin.

I'm commuting just as the wind dies down in the sunny south east and only have my CX bike so don't have the gearing to take full advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Blustery day out - tree down on Bangor Road, D12. Still plenty of people out on bikes though 💪

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Wasn't too bad, even with two full pannier bags, until the vortex effect nearer the centre.

I was fine until I got near work, headwind, side gusts, tailwind, all winthin 100m of each other.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

It's steal- your- front- wheel gusty out there!

Advertisement