Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, it can be a bit of a white knuckle express if (as i've done) you let the speed creep up on you, which is easy, and you come to a bend and realise that your tyres being airborne 50% of the time does not make for fantastic grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Hmmm club spin posted for Saturday, I'll probably stay on to the bottom of the Old Long Hill - sure it's climbs whichever way I go from there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Weepsie wrote: »
    Tis. Coming down is what I find sketchy rather than going up, which is just you know, a bit of a slog

Was up there on Tuesday afternoon and it was glorious. I noted on the way up that there seemed to be fewer potholes about but a fair bit of loose gravel particularly in the centre of the track. Coming down, I was able to let the speed pick up on the straight sections but had to slow right down on the bends. Back from a club spin out around the Dublin Meath border north of Ashbourne today and encountered a lot more potholes there, admittedly on lanes and back backroads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

am wimping out. looks like there's rain on the way this evening that wasn't forecast, and it's not that i'm afraid of rain, but i only just washed my bikes yesterday and i'm not getting them dirty again less than 24 hours later. i must have summoned the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

am wimping out. looks like there's rain on the way this evening that wasn't forecast, and it's not that i'm afraid of rain, but i only just washed my bikes yesterday and i'm not getting them dirty again less than 24 hours later. i must have summoned the rain.

Everybody should have one Dutch bike for when you just can't face the prospect of washing any of the other bikes again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Is it really gonna rain? :( I was gonna head out shortly and forecast looks good?

Just started raining in the last 15 minutes here. Light so far.

Same here, currently dressed for a spin and trying to decide.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just started raining in the last 15 minutes here. Light so far.

I brought in the clothes. It's on the light end of light too.

I got one in this morning. Was about to head back out to do another 40 k for the 100 and got a reminder I had a meeting at 2.30. I had camera off given I Was dressed in cycling gear.

Same here, currently dressed for a spin and trying to decide.
    turns out that rain would have barely wet ye.
    i had a choice of running a couple of errands this evening or going for a cycle, so the rain was really an excuse for me to get the errands out of the way,

• Advertisement

turns out that rain would have barely wet ye.
    i had a choice of running a couple of errands this evening or going for a cycle, so the rain was really an excuse for me to get the errands out of the way,

I went out in the end and it was grand but there was enough rain there to make the roads a bit greasy in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭cletus

Had planned a pre jab spin this morning, but its miserable out, so I'm having a scone and a cup of tea, and watching videos about bikes on youtube

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I had to drop the car down to the mechanic on the Naas Rd for some warranty work. Nice 25km spin along the Grand Canal back home (via Lidl for some pastries that I'll have shortly with the family over a nice fresh coffee).
    I deliberately chose to use my hybrid because I was damned if I was going to fit the mudguards onto my road bike!
    Had a notion of continuing along the canal from Adamstown to Hazelhatch but travelling along the southern bank I came to what looked like thick shrubbery and I just said feck it. Should I have taken the northern bank (I have it in my head that it comes to an end further along).

The rain wasn't too bad but it has made traffic that bit more impatient.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

I had to drop the car down to the mechanic on the Naas Rd for some warranty work. Nice 25km spin along the Grand Canal back home (via Lidl for some pastries that I'll have shortly with the family over a nice fresh coffee).
    I deliberately chose to use my hybrid because I was damned if I was going to fit the mudguards onto my road bike!
    Had a notion of continuing along the canal from Adamstown to Hazelhatch but travelling along the southern bank I came to what looked like thick shrubbery and I just said feck it. Should I have taken the northern bank (I have it in my head that it comes to an end further along).

Hardly a wimp story :)

I had just intended saying that the rain wasn't that bad and got carried away :o

As it happens I'm due to leave the car up to Saggart this evening for a service, normally throw a bike in and do a spin and head back to collect car when i get the text from the mechanic...but rain is forecast for most of the day and evening...might have to suck it up , I'll be soaked anyway walking to and from Luas ;)

According to the Met Eireann app, currently the rain is due to finish up in Leixlip in the next couple of hours.
    Chance it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭cletus

But...you didn't wimp out!!

I know, I know. I'm sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

The day looked like brightening up around 1030 (I had set an alarm for 0900, saw weather and changed my mind), so went and put my shorts on - Hadn't even time to put up the bib straps and the heavens opened again. started to clear out wardrobes and next thing I knew it it was 1600 and time to prepare dinner.
    Maybe next time!!

• Advertisement

wheelo01 wrote: »
    The day looked like brightening up around 1030 (I had set an alarm for 0900, saw weather and changed my mind), so went and put my shorts on - Hadn't even time to put up the bib straps and the heavens opened again. started to clear out wardrobes and next thing I knew it it was 1600 and time to prepare dinner.
    Maybe next time!!

A thinly veiled " I have absolutely huge wardrobes " post :)

secman wrote: »
    A thinly veiled " I have absolutely huge wardrobes " post :)

A very much ' I have too much sh1t, and don't throw out enough during the year' post. Loads of odds and ends, I keep boxes off TV boxes and other electrical stuff, clothes from years ago that havent been worn in at least 18 months. I've so many 'That'll come in handy someday' screws, bolts, pieces of wire, Notes from meetings etc.
    I need Aggie and her mate to come in and be ruthless. I threw out a black bag of paper and a half bag of rubbish, and it still looks like there is no extra space.
    However, it is somewhat organised chaos.

do you want my 'middle aged man box of cables' for your collection?

do you want my 'middle aged man box of cables' for your collection?

Nope, I actually came across my own bag of cables today, I described it as a mile of tangled wire - Too poor for a box :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

wheelo01 wrote: »
    ...I keep boxes off TV boxes ....
    I'm intrigued. What are 'boxes of TV boxes'? :confused:

Android TV boxes, Virgun Media box, firestick, etc - they get delivered in their packaging, yet I open them and put the box aside "just in case I need to return them", yet when their 6/7 months old (or more) I didn't throw out the box - until yesterday when I threw out loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Steoller

it's for selling on the bike(s)

Finally finished work (at home). Buggered if I'm heading out in the rain now

INCOMING

if you're in dublin/louth/meath anyway - that's coming in from NW or WNW

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm in work today so technically no chance to wimp out but work doesn't have any cover for the locked bikes so I'm sad for my bike in the rain

Advertisement