Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 6 Megathread - All iOS 6 discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Are Apple going to look into these teething issues with iOS6?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Chicken1 wrote: »
    Are Apple going to look into these teething issues with iOS6?

As always Apple will release a version 6.0.1 and probably 6.0.2 in the coming weeks. No major issues for me right now so i'm happy, but i'm sure they can improve on battery and overall responsiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,591 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

My issues with the podcast app continue. The latest one was it just stopped playing a podcast I was listening to. I didn't get a call or anything like that, it just seemed to decide that I no longer needed to listen to what I was listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I hate the podcast app, I've just started listening to them on my laptop instead, anyone recommend an alternate app?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭shaneb92

anyone know if google are going to release their own goolge map app?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

shaneb92 wrote: »
    anyone know if google are going to release their own goolge map app?

Yes Google know. :p

Sorry couldn't resist :D

I have no doubt that they will release one.

I have a feeling that they are debating if they should include turn by turn or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

krudler wrote: »
    I hate the podcast app, I've just started listening to them on my laptop instead, anyone recommend an alternate app?

Instacast is great for PODCasts
    http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/instacast/id420368235?mt=8

I find the podcast app fine, in fact i really like the new layout.
    No issues here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

iCloud tabs doesn't seem to be working properly at all.

I'm not getting the current tabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I updated my iPad 2 last week. I haven't used it too much since then, but i've had no issues at all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

mad muffin wrote: »
    Yes Google know. :p

Sorry couldn't resist :D

I have no doubt that they will release one.

I have a feeling that they are debating if they should include turn by turn or not.

If they do, they'll wipe the floor.

I love Apple and their products etc but maps and mobile me have been two huge mistakes.
    It would be one thing to take on google maps, with a perfectly working and well done maps application with all the POI's etc, but to try and do it with what they put out there will destroy consumer confidence in APple maps so that if google do release an app for ios 6 with turn by turn, Apple will find it very hard to win people back to an app that started of terribly.

If they had waited the extra year of the contract with google and done it perfectly, they would have destroyed them on iOS. but they didn't, which is kind of the way Apple does things. Send it out now and fix it while it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭brophs

brophs wrote: »
    Has anyone else had any trouble with the App Store on an iPhone 4? Most times I try to update my apps it either just looks to be endlessly doing nothing or I get a "Could not connect to iTunes store" message. I've tried the trick of changing the date and time to a year in advance and though it seems to work in the short term, a few hours later it's back to the same thing of not connecting.

Not a big deal, really, but enough of an irritant to want it sorted.
    brophs wrote: »
    Right, I think I've sorted this (without any help from Apple's seemingly nonexistent customer service team).

For no reason I can think of, it's an issue with wifi. If you disconnect from your wireless network you should be able to access the store without any problems. So I followed the advice which was given to folks with wifi problems and clicked 'Forget this network' and then added my wireless network manually using the 'other' option in the wireless networks list. I just typed in my SSID and security key and it worked perfectly immediately (and has been for a couple of hours).

This problem keeps reappearing. So far it seems the only solution is to enter the network name manually each time. Or to turn off wifi as the app store works perfectly every time using 3G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

alexlyons wrote: »
    If they do, they'll wipe the floor.

I love Apple and their products etc but maps and mobile me have been two huge mistakes.
    It would be one thing to take on google maps, with a perfectly working and well done maps application with all the POI's etc, but to try and do it with what they put out there will destroy consumer confidence in APple maps so that if google do release an app for ios 6 with turn by turn, Apple will find it very hard to win people back to an app that started of terribly.

If they had waited the extra year of the contract with google and done it perfectly, they would have destroyed them on iOS. but they didn't, which is kind of the way Apple does things. Send it out now and fix it while it goes.

Does it really hurt then if Google release a better app though? They only make software to sell the iPhone.

Does it really hurt then if Google release a better app though? They only make software to sell the iPhone.

it'll hurt them in so far as people will be extremely slow to go without the google maps app at all. Most people will have it on their phone , even if it is a "just in case" scenario.

It's just my opinion and having studied Apple both personally and academically I think they should stick to products and if they are going to enter the service end of things they should do it like the App store/Itunes store (yes itunes itself isn't great) and maybe iCloud.
    They have taken time, a long time, including a failed mobile me. Now they've failed at maps. I really think they need to double the amount of work they put into these services.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Have Google confirmed they're bringing a full Google Maps apps to IOS? It would make more sense for them not to and use Google Maps as an android exclusive selling point.

it'll hurt them in so far as people will be extremely slow to go without the google maps app at all. Most people will have it on their phone , even if it is a "just in case" scenario.

It's just my opinion and having studied Apple both personally and academically I think they should stick to products and if they are going to enter the service end of things they should do it like the App store/Itunes store (yes itunes itself isn't great) and maybe iCloud.
    They have taken time, a long time, including a failed mobile me. Now they've failed at maps. I really think they need to double the amount of work they put into these services.

You're not considering the context of the overall Apple vs Google contest. Apple only made the new maps to replace the Google one they were getting rid of. They also got rid of the YouTube app. Normally when they make something they do it because they think they can do better than the competition. In this case though they just want rid of any reliance on Google as a company.

You're not considering the context of the overall Apple vs Google contest. Apple only made the new maps to replace the Google one they were getting rid of. They also got rid of the YouTube app. Normally when they make something they do it because they think they can do better than the competition. In this case though they just want rid of any reliance on Google as a company.

ye but they had another year on the contract with google, so even if google don't want to be on the iPhone, they could have let it lie for another year and released an incredible app next year, but they rushed it and got it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dandanmur

Anyone else's battery life been really bad since they've updated ?

ye but they had another year on the contract with google, so even if google don't want to be on the iPhone, they could have let it lie for another year and released an incredible app next year, but they rushed it and got it wrong

Ye you're right in that sense.

I'd guess that they rushed it onto iOS 6 because they were lacking in other headline new features.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Somecrimesitry

Have Google confirmed they're bringing a full Google Maps apps to IOS? It would make more sense for them not to and use Google Maps as an android exclusive selling point.

Not if you understand how Google actually makes money, they don't make money exclusively from Android, that OS was simply to maintain a defendable channel to mobile consumers as Apple were always going to squeeze them out of iOS profits eventually. Google makes money from consumers and whether that person is holding a device with an Apple, Android, Nokia or Windows logo on it doesn't matter. They have put themselves into a business position where they cannot simply stay out of any lucrative market space. They have to beg, steal or borrow their way into markets where ever ads revenue is strong or profitable. Google will be in serious trouble in the mobile space if they are ever fully locked out of iOS revenue streams. Unlike Android, a critical mass of Apples customer base are employed, have savings, have credit cards, buy apps, buy games, buy media content, spend cash on entertainment or clothes or imported foods or limited edition first world nonsense. Something like 60% of Googles entire mobile traffic is iOS based, mobile is where the ads profits are now and iOS no matter how big or small the market share happens to be is where the cash rich consumers are.

There is no point in Sky paying Google to advertise Sky Digital to homeless people, just as there is little point in continuing to pay Googles ad rates if your businesses wares are not aimed at people on rooted S3's who pirate every single item on the phone! It's all about ads from here on in. Apple are positioned perfectly to take a majority of all the cash rich iOS consumers out of Googles hands and to become the bridge from local businesses directly to those consumers. In the process leaving Google to continue to try to get paid for advertising to the millions on Android who seem to think piracy is a default OS feature:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Not if you understand how Google actually makes money, they don't make money exclusively from Android, that OS was simply to maintain a defendable channel to mobile consumers as Apple were always going to squeeze them out of iOS profits eventually. Google makes money from consumers and whether that person is holding a device with an Apple, Android, Nokia or Windows logo on it doesn't matter. They have put themselves into a business position where they cannot simply stay out of any lucrative market space. They have to beg, steal or borrow their way into markets where ever ads revenue is strong or profitable. Google will be in serious trouble in the mobile space if they are ever fully locked out of iOS revenue streams. Unlike Android, a critical mass of Apples customer base are employed, have savings, have credit cards, buy apps, buy games, buy media content, spend cash on entertainment or clothes or imported foods or limited edition first world nonsense. Something like 60% of Googles entire mobile traffic is iOS based, mobile is where the ads profits are now and iOS no matter how big or small the market share happens to be is where the cash rich consumers are.

There is no point in Sky paying Google to advertise Sky Digital to homeless people, just as there is little point in continuing to pay Googles ad rates if your businesses wares are not aimed at people on rooted S3's who pirate every single item on the phone! It's all about ads from here on in. Apple are positioned perfectly to take a majority of all the cash rich iOS consumers out of Googles hands and to become the bridge from local businesses directly to those consumers. In the process leaving Google to continue to try to get paid for advertising to the millions on Android who seem to think piracy is a default OS feature:rolleyes:

I also read that Google makes more money from iOS then they do Android. Now YouTube and Maps have been removed I'm not sure if that's still true but it was a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Somecrimesitry

DubDJ wrote: »
    I also read that Google makes more money from iOS then they do Android. Now YouTube and Maps have been removed I'm not sure if that's still true but it was a few months back.

Exactly...people often make the mistake of thinking Google are just like the new version of Microsoft v Apple when their not, their essentially an advertising company that operates in or else was forced into the OS and hardware markets to prevent the wagons from been encircled and picked off. Google getting into hardware and mobile OS is exactly the same as Apple getting into ads. The difference for Apple is that they fully control the hardware, OS, default OS apps, the entire approval process for the Apps library, what comes out of every iOS device box, Siri searches, and now Maps. Apple are now putting up strongpoints and lock outs at the OS level in iOS to keep a direct line from local businesses through to iOS customers without any external involvement unless they choose it such as Yelp. Features such as Siri, Maps, Passbook, etc is all part of the overall intended process:

Local business > Apple > Consumer.
    Consumer > Apple > Local business.

It's what the Maps decision was really all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

dandanmur wrote: »

Mine was great, then the next day it was loosing over 7% an hour in standby. I let it drain completely and fully charged it again, I also did a reset. It was back to normal after that, still holding 100% after ten minutes of browsing, email etc.

dandanmur wrote: »

Small decrease on mine. I used to fully charge and wake up the next day with 100% still available. But now it drops to 98% by morning. Not a major difference though.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭joe 77

So would I be right in thinking that if I install ios 6 on my iPhone 4s that the google maps already on the phone will be replaced with Apples on version ? Will my phone stay working ok if I dont bother installing it ? Sounds like more hassle than its worth ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

joe 77 wrote: »
    So would I be right in thinking that if I install ios 6 on my iPhone 4s that the google maps already on the phone will be replaced with Apples on version ? Will my phone stay working ok if I dont bother installing it ? Sounds like more hassle than its worth ?

I haven't updated my 4s and I'm in no rush at all. Seems like a total fûck up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

joe 77 wrote: »

If you use maps a lot, then I wouldn't install 6 just yet. If that isn't the case then I would update. I updated my 4s the day ios 6 was released and I have nothing but good things to say about it.
    The podcast app I don't really use but had no problems with it when I did have a look about.
    The youtube app is better than the one that came with the phone itself in preious ios so that for me is a positive.
    I don't use maps often if at all so this upgrade to apple maps hasn't effected me in the slightest.

In my opinion threads like this put a lot of doubt in peoples mind. Is it a flawless update? Of course not but if you're in anyway competent then you'll have no issues besides the previous points made and repeated a thousand times throughout this thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The amount of people complaining about the maps I'm starting to wonder am I the only one who knows my way around.

Seriously, does everyone else go treasure-hunting and orienteering at weekends? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Dades wrote: »
    The amount of people complaining about the maps I'm starting to wonder am I the only one who knows my way around.

Seriously, does everyone else go treasure-hunting and orienteering at weekends? :pac:

Exactly, especially as the old maps didn't have turn by turn navigation.

Used it the odd time for Street view if I was looking for a shop or something.

Apple maps is definitely poor but I do wonder how many people use a map app so much to find places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

iOS 6 has been fine for me so far on ip4 but scrolling, typing, etc. in safari now seems to be slow. Everything else is pretty zippy. Set as new phone and restarted.

Anyone else finding/fix this?

Advertisement