Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 6 Megathread - All iOS 6 discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭backinexile

I put iOS 6 on my 3GS last night too.

Had no problems until the last hour, i have no network connection, I keep getting Searching or No Service, is this an iOS 6 problem or a problem with vodafone?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Had no problems until the last hour, i have no network connection, I keep getting Searching or No Service, is this an iOS 6 problem or a problem with vodafone?

Have you turned your phone off since the update?
    I noticed on the 4 phones i updated (parents and sister/brother) that they all updated perfect but within an hour or so they lost network. on/off fixed it and it hasnt returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Maggie MGill

Im having exactly the same problem, it's so frustrating!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The podcast app is bugging the **** out of me. It only downloads some of the podcasts have and the settings are pointless as it doesn't apply those settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

Problem I've found with the podcast app is that it stops whey you receive a call (which it should), but doesn't resume - until you take the headphones out at which point it plays again through the phone's speakers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Fecking youtube app, can't listen to it while the screens off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

cloud493 wrote: »

Download Jasmine. Plays YouTube video when phone closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

cloud493 wrote: »

Jasmine...

I've just started installing it. Don't know whats been up with it, first it was the power draining, now my signals really really weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

The Podcast App is singularly one of the worst pieces of software I have used. It doesn't download podcasts, it may or may not play the ones that it has downloaded and it has a 5-20 second lag every time you want to start playing a podcast while it thinks about whether it will crash, hang or just skip the podcast 'episode' that you wanted and go on to play another one of it's choice.

Also, I have noticed that even though the Podcast may be downloaded, that it sometimes will still try to stream the episode when you're out and about (eating nicely into your data allowance).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Podcasts has still improved a lot from the first version which was basically alpha software. I haven't had any playback or stability problems with the current version. My main remaining issue with it is the way it randomly marks old podcasts as unplayed. But there's still a lot of other things about it that Apple need to seriously re-think. Being able to delete a podcasts that you haven't downloaded doesn't really make any sense.

I haven't had that problems. The podcasts seem to arrange themselves quite randomly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I find that podcast app a POS.

So slow and ponderous and fails constantly to remember what it was doing when I last left it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Yeah I have ditched it in favour of Instacast. The Apple one is terrible.

A letter from Tim Cook in relation to Apple maps
    To our customers,

At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.
    We launched Maps initially with the first version of iOS. As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up.
    There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps, with more and more joining us every day. In just over a week, iOS users with the new Maps have already searched for nearly half a billion locations. The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get and we greatly appreciate all of the feedback we have received from you.
    While we’re improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app.
    Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making our products the best in the world. We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard.
    Tim Cook
    Apple’s CEO

https://www.apple.com/letter-from-tim-cook-on-maps/

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

mad muffin wrote: »
    Jasmine...

... might be one of the nicest apps I've ever used. And I'm not even a youtube fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭brophs

brophs wrote: »
    Has anyone else had any trouble with the App Store on an iPhone 4? Most times I try to update my apps it either just looks to be endlessly doing nothing or I get a "Could not connect to iTunes store" message. I've tried the trick of changing the date and time to a year in advance and though it seems to work in the short term, a few hours later it's back to the same thing of not connecting.

Not a big deal, really, but enough of an irritant to want it sorted.

Right, I think I've sorted this (without any help from Apple's seemingly nonexistent customer service team).

For no reason I can think of, it's an issue with wifi. If you disconnect from your wireless network you should be able to access the store without any problems. So I followed the advice which was given to folks with wifi problems and clicked 'Forget this network' and then added my wireless network manually using the 'other' option in the wireless networks list. I just typed in my SSID and security key and it worked perfectly immediately (and has been for a couple of hours).

I hate jasmine. Damn you Apple, for removing the proper app :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

cisk wrote: »
    A letter from Tim Cook in relation to Apple maps

https://www.apple.com/letter-from-tim-cook-on-maps/
    Quite fair of him to offer the apology. Fair play!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

That letter is quite a departure from Steve's way of doing things. He would have thrown a hissy fit, sacked the entire maps team while publicly acting like everything was fine.

• Advertisement

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Quite fair of him to offer the apology. Fair play!

:pac:
    Fair play to him for using oxygen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

That letter is quite a departure from Steve's way of doing things. He would have thrown a hissy fit, sacked the entire maps team while publicly acting like everything was fine.
    Very true, but there's not much point in doing it Steve's way now that Steve is gone. Usually things fail because a new person tries to emulate the last person, and just can't because they aren't them.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Jasmine app seems to be on the blink, won't play music videos, received the following message : YouTube has restricted feeds for this video, tried a few music videos but the same message appears

boblong wrote: »
    ... might be one of the nicest apps I've ever used. And I'm not even a youtube fan.

Thanks to 120_Minutes for point it out.

Nibs05 wrote: »
    Jasmine app seems to be on the blink, won't play music videos, received the following message : YouTube has restricted feeds for this video, tried a few music videos but the same message appears

Go into the apps settings and it will tell you what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

mad muffin wrote: »
    Go into the apps settings and it will tell you what to do.

Dosnt tell me what to do, tells me why I get that message when I play music videos, I've reinstalled and still no joy, thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Just went for a nice long walk with my phone while listening to some music.

To my surprise when I took a look at my phone I had several unread texts and emails, for some reason on iOS 6 it doesn't lower the music volume so you can hear the incoming alert. I double checked my phone and it wasn't on silent mode. Strange bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Just went for a nice long walk with my phone while listening to some music.

To my surprise when I took a look at my phone I had several unread texts and emails, for some reason on iOS 6 it doesn't lower the music volume so you can hear the incoming alert. I double checked my phone and it wasn't on silent mode. Strange bug.

And 'Do Not Disturb' isn't switched on either?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Nope.

On testing the alerts are making sounds they are just completely drowned out by my music playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Nope.

On testing the alerts are making sounds they are just completely drowned out by my music playing.

I'll have to test it on my 4. Just hope somebody calls or texts :D

Advertisement