Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pillars of Eternity

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

I've donated, and still looking forward to it very much, but also a little underwhelmed by the stretch goals. Also, one of my very favourite things about Baldur's Gate was experimenting with all the various classes and combinations of classes you could use to make up a party. With the 1.2 million mark hit though, we are now at only 4 races, 6 classes and 6 companions which feels quite underwhelming as well - I'd really like to see the extra money pumped into lots of new classes, abilities, party members, dungeons, items etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'd actually prefer a small number of races with more fleshed out differences. With The only major difference between a human and elf in D&D was a dexterity bonus at the start. It did buggerall to flavour your perceptions of the world or how it reacted to you. I'd much rather they made the race you pick as important for shaping the game as the class you choose, the difference between an elf fighter and a dwarf fighter is usually negligible in these games. So if they spend less time making loads of races and concentrate on history, culture and dialogue that makes a small number of races really unique, I'll be a happy gamer indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

MAc version funded!

Will we see a Linux one?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd say it will reach all of it's stretch goals. Most of the popular kickstarters seem to get a lot of funding in their last 3 days as well, so i'd say it will exceed all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Around a day left now, they're ~280k short of the 3.5m stretch goal. Hopefully it gets there!

• Advertisement

It's at 3.4 million now, and has become the biggest kickstarter game to date. It will probably reach the 3.5 million mark as well, with around 12 hours to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

/supported. They deserve it :)

I am in love with the concept in-game-style screens they posted. I really miss artwork like that in games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 worldalpha

That's an insane amount of money raised on KS!

Backed it for the game plus expansion in the end.

• Advertisement

Comfortably made the 3.5m. Hopefully this game lives up to the promise!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Upped my pledge to $50. So excited for this game, although it is gonna be a long time until release!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Pretty cringy stream of countdown to the end - http://www.twitch.tv/obsidian

And that, as they say, is that. With the addition of Paypal, I'd imagine they've hit well over 4 million.

Today is a good day for old school RPGs. Now I just have to figure out how I'll afford a hotel room for Gaelcon this month after blowing all my money on a collector's edition I won't see for another year and a half...

Didn't quite reach €4 million, but hopefully they'll still do some of the goals they hoped to (i.e. live instrumentation). Will be good to eventually see some actual progress on the game as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Jilm

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts
    Kickstarter and PayPal Stats

So as of about 1:30 PM PDT, here’s where we stand funding-wise:

Kickstarter
    Backers: 73,986
    Pledged: $3,986,929

PayPal
    Backers: 3,681
    Pledged: $176,279

Totals
    Backers: 77,667
    Pledged: $4,163,208

Stretch Goals

So that means we hit the 4M stretch goal, right?
    Yes!

How do PayPal backers affect the Mega Dungeon size?
    It counts toward the Mega Dungeon! We hit fifteen (15!!!!) levels!

So they've been showing off some of the nice visual stuff they've been working on. It's looking stunning. Well, the character movement needs some work but hopefully that'll be ironed out. The tides and lighting effects are just lovely. This is going to be a very pretty game. If you don't want to listen to the guy talk skip to 1:47.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Give... Me... This... Game... NAO!

I've been gagging for some old-school RPG deliciousness and with the way this is going so far this may very well be what I've been gagging for...

I want... No, I need this game... Do not disappoint me damnit!
    How old school do you want to go? There is a nice Eye of Beholder (four party member, box movement etc.) style game out there ( can't recall name off) dungeon crawler that's tuned old style (i.e. make a mistake and you die quickly!) that's cheap and can carry you over,.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Nody wrote: »
    How old school do you want to go? There is a nice Eye of Beholder (four party member, box movement etc.) style game out there ( can't recall name off) dungeon crawler that's tuned old style (i.e. make a mistake and you die quickly!) that's cheap and can carry you over,.
    Legend of Grimrock. It's pretty decent alright, but unfortunately they kept some of the flaws of the games it was based on, most noticable being the exploitability of the combat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Blowfish wrote: »
    Legend of Grimrock. It's pretty decent alright, but unfortunately they kept some of the flaws of the games it was based on, most noticable being the exploitability of the combat.
    That's the only way to make it doable though :P

I'm fine with the "exploit" as you need to be aware of were things are at all time etc. as well.

• Advertisement

New trailer/teaser has been released, showing some gameplay. It's looking fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I'd point to Sarkys comment above...the character movement still looks bad. The running is awful

They are a bit rough, but they've apparently said the animations are still in alpha, so i'd expect an improvement as we get closer to launch.

Big write up on Rock Paper Shotgun as well. Loads of stuff in it.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/10/mega-impressions-obsidians-pillars-of-eternity/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Big news recently, they've partnered with Paradox Interactive for Publishing.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/gdc2014/11140-Pillars-of-Eternity-Deal-Announced-By-Obsidian-and-Paradox

Sounds great to me - No need to worry about any of the publishing or marketing stuff for Obsidian, who don't really have people who can do that anyways, plus a second QA team to help with Obsidians famous flaw.

The more people that get to play this, the better. Really looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

That's good news on the Paradox front. There's a decent-size interview on RPS with the CEOs of both companies

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Raphael wrote: »
    Big news recently, they've partnered with Paradox Interactive for Publishing.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/gdc2014/11140-Pillars-of-Eternity-Deal-Announced-By-Obsidian-and-Paradox

Sounds great to me - No need to worry about any of the publishing or marketing stuff for Obsidian, who don't really have people who can do that anyways, plus a second QA team to help with Obsidians famous flaw.

South Park was remarkably problem free.

How much is really Obsidians fault when they're working on outsourced games which are done to even stricter schedules and contracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Haven't played South Park, but it's true that it's largely not their fault - only so much you can do when the publisher is telling you to stop doing QA and ship. I was mostly being tongue in cheek. Though it is good to have a seperate QA team that haven't tested on every single build.

• Advertisement

The posted a track from the soundtrack a few days ago. Sounds brilliant.

Advertisement