Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will the Muslim world relax?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Its not misinformed,its truth,something a lot of liberal secular people dont want to digest,right now in egypt they are burning books at kiosks,and car bombs are going off in iraq..

Try living there and saying islam is a peaceful religion.

was this user banned for speaking the truth ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

the_monkey wrote: »

I suspect it was more for his form of scaremongering, hysteria and falsehoods. And wild generalisations.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

the_monkey wrote: »
    You'll have to ask Zaph who sitebanned him. For being a tool, I imagine.

• Moderators Posts: 51,749 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Dades wrote: »
    You'll have to ask Zaph who sitebanned him. For being a tool, I imagine.

Ignoring mod instructions according to the banlist page.

Read an article/open letter to religious folk on Slate.com regarding the movie/video that lead to the death of the US ambassador to Libya.
    Dear Muslims, Christians, Hindus, and Jews,

You’re living in the age of the Internet. Your religion will be mocked, and the mockery will find its way to you. Get over it.

If you don’t, what’s happening this week will happen again and again. A couple of idiots with a video camera and an Internet connection will trigger riots across the globe. They’ll bait you into killing one another.

Stop it. Stop following their script.
    This isn’t just a Muslim problem, though that’s been the pattern lately. On YouTube, you can find videos insulting every religion on the planet: Jews, Christians, Hindus, Catholics, Mormons, Buddhists, and more. Some clips are ironic. Others are simply disgusting. Many were posted to bait one group into fighting another. The baiters are indiscriminate. The promoter of the Mohammed movie founded a group that also protests at Mormon temples.

The hatred and bloodshed will go on until you stop taking the bait. Mockery of your prophet on a computer with an Internet address somewhere in the world can no longer be your master. Nor can the puppet clerics who tell you to respond with violence. Lay down your stones and your anger. Go home and pray. God is too great to be troubled by the insults of fools. Follow Him.

Rest of the text on Slate.com

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The hatred and bloodshed will go on until you stop taking the bait.
    Reminds me of another thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

It's ironic that the muslims who do call for death for those who insult Muhammad are actually guilty of committing a Shirk, which is an unforgivable sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭SeanW

Gurgle wrote: »
    Maybe what the average Muslim finds upsetting is this kind of misinformed tripe.
    Problem is that domination and intolerance are staples of Wahabbism and Salafism. and a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

I usually dont get involved in religious posts. But it would be nice to know when will it ever stop. Personally i couldn't care less who the hell is killed as long as children are left out of it. Its not like they started it. But there is always the fear of nuclear attacks all because of or beliefs. although there are probably other factors involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

I'm surprised at the aussies of all people for even allowing that childish march to go ahead without baton charging the ****ers.

• Moderators Posts: 51,749 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Saw this depressing picture in a story regarding the Sydney protest :(

A2z6J64CAAEWvxM.jpg
    Children In Shocking Australia Protest Bear ‘Behead All Those Who Insult The Prophet’ Signs

Violent protests have erupted in the Middle East over the offensive anti-Islamic film Innocence of Muslims in recent days, but demonstrations are no longer isolated to that region. Recent reports show that Muslim protests have been organized elsewhere, most notably in Sydney, Australia.

“Behead all those that insult the prophet,” read several signs held by men and even children at the Sydney protest. The demonstration at Hyde Park drew a massive crowd of Muslims who answered an alleged call by the Muslim Brotherhood to organize in such a capacity, ready to riot, and even incite further violence. According to ABC, a simple text message prompted the worldwide surge in demonstrations. It read: “We must defend the honour of our prophet, we must act now.”

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Is there nothing to be said for rounding them all up and saying ''we understand you're uncomfortable with some western ideas such as gender equality and free speech. Get on this boat here and we'll soon have you back in your cultural homeland where you can be as much of a bigot as you want. We'll be over here when you grow up enough to join the world stage.''?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

If Muslims hate it so much in the West, it's simple go home. You don't like Australia fine see ya later.

You cannot say it's these outbursts and riots are down to Muslims as not all Muslims carry on like these brats.

People who attends these 'protests' fall into three categories.

1. Uneducated
    2. Delusional
    3. Thug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

MaxSteele wrote: »
    I'm surprised at the aussies of all people for even allowing that childish march to go ahead without baton charging the ****ers.

Yes, baton charging protests at the get-go will clearly spell out the value of liberal western culture.

Nodin wrote: »
    Yes, baton charging protests at the get-go will clearly spell out the value of liberal western culture.

Obviously you cannot send in the firing squad. Do you ever worry that we (the west) are becoming way too tolerant to behaviour that would have serious consequences if the shoe was on the other foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

T-K-O wrote: »
    Obviously you cannot send in the firing squad. Do you ever worry that we (the west) are becoming way too tolerant to behaviour that would have serious consequences if the shoe was on the other foot.

So because some bunch like (for instance) the Saudis would be a bunch of intolerant head crunching bastards in a reverse situation, "we" should act similarily......I'd see a few flaws in that meself.

Once people are protesting in a peaceful manner, let them.

So because some bunch like (for instance) the Saudis would be a bunch of intolerant head crunching bastards in a reverse situation, "we" should act similarily......I'd see a few flaws in that meself.

Once people are protesting in a peaceful manner, let them.

Who said anything about acting in the same manner??

It's like the West over compensates for the past. You have senior US politicians apologising over these recent events. Why should they apologies. Same goes for that Danish cartoon.

Treat others as you wish to be treated that's how I was brought up but its one way traffic with a lot of those countries.

Egyptian PM tells the US to do what it can to stop people "insulting" his religion. Then says that "Egyptians, Arabs, Muslims" must "condemn violence" but fails to condemn it himself:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-19612408

The top religious guy in Saudi says pretty much the same:

http://www.arabnews.com/grand-mufti-urges-criminalizing-abusing-prophets

Back in Egypt, a man is arrested on suspicion of being an atheist:

http://www.bikyamasr.com/77577/in-egypt-christian-man-attacked-by-mob-arrested-for-being-atheist/

double standards, it's sickening.

So protests and freedom of speech, no matter how intolerant or uneducated should be met with force? :confused:

old hippy wrote: »
    So protests and freedom of speech, no matter how intolerant or uneducated should be met with force? :confused:

Who said that -

Why should a government apologise over a movie, would should a cartoonist have to lock himself away in hiding.

Peaceful protesting is fine but too often it descends into chaos. Why?

In our country you are allowed protest speak your and mind and be a real person and for the most part we get on with people from other non catholic backgrounds. Now jump on a plane to the East and see if you are treated the same. I wouldn't imagine so, in fact I know.

That is unfair, we tolerate / accept their views they should return the favour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

Any links to this film, and what was it trying to achieve ?

Who said that -

Why should a government apologise over a movie, would should a cartoonist have to lock himself away in hiding.

Peaceful protesting is fine but too often it descends into chaos. Why?

In our country you are allowed protest speak your and mind and be a real person and for the most part we get on with people from other non catholic backgrounds. Now jump on a plane to the East and see if you are treated the same. I wouldn't imagine so, in fact I know.

That is unfair, we tolerate / accept their views they should return the favour.

LOL. Do you divide the world into catholics and non-catholics?

Which part of the East do you mean? I've been about as far east as you can go and was treated just fine. I got married in a temple and wasn't looked down on.

Jellicoe wrote: »

It's trying to promote fear, hatred and confusion. Doing an ace job, by all accounts.

LOL. Do you divide the world into catholics and non-catholics?

Which part of the East do you mean? I've been about as far east as you can go and was treated just fine. I got married in a temple and wasn't looked down on.

You are purposely avoiding the real issue because you know I am correct.

I do not dived the world at all that's the point. I respect others and their beliefs (by the way I am not religions at all)

Do you serious believe eastern countries allow us the same rights that us Europeans allow them. Come off it

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

It's trying to promote fear, hatred and confusion. Doing an ace job, by all accounts.

To me it looks more like tacky satire. There have been similar films mocking Jesus and the Pope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

You saw those protests on the news. A man was surrounded and beaten bloody for questioning out loud the crowd's incitement of hatred and demands for "beheading those who insult islam".

1:48. Isn't that just brilliant. :rolleyes: Sure isn't it their civil right to protest ?

You honestly think there would be an outcry from the Australian public or international condemnation for fighting fire with fire against these morons ? Not a chance. Nothing more than an incitement of hatred march.

Iran doens't quite take the lead in calling for peace and restraint. Instead, it increases the price on Salman Rushdie's head:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0916/breaking47.html

robindch wrote: »
    Iran doens't quite take the lead in calling for peace and restraint. Instead, it increases the price on Salman Rushdie's head:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0916/breaking47.html

If it wasn't so serious I would burst into laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭SeanW

MaxSteele wrote: »
    You saw those protests on the news. A man was surrounded and beaten bloody for questioning out loud the crowd's incitement of hatred and demands for "beheading those who insult islam".

1:48. Isn't that just brilliant. :rolleyes: Sure isn't it their civil right to protest ?

You honestly think there would be an outcry from the Australian public or international condemnation for fighting fire with fire against these morons ? Not a chance. Nothing more than an incitement of hatred march.
    But I'm sure we'll have some PC lefty coming along to tell us why Islamic extremism isn't a threat and "ah sure haven't they a right to protest" and "you don't want us to be like their countries by standing up for ourselves?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Jellicoe wrote: »

You Tube Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Having read various news reports on the movie e.g. Huffington, Al Jezeera, BBC etc this Sam Bacile is a bit of a Christian Extremist nut job. According to some of the actors their parts were overdubbed later in post production with the inflamatory lines that caused all the trouble. Having watched some of it, and it is barely watchable, you see that this is the case.
    I'm not saying that the Muslims who are on the rampage are justified in what they are doing, but this Sam Bacile knew he was going to stir the s**t by putting it out there.
    Apparently he has links to the Egyption Coptic Christian Church and has been in trouble before in the states and is meant to be barred from internet access.

Advertisement