Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will the Muslim world relax?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Zillah wrote: »
    That won't happen. For all their problems the US is damn good at respecting free speech. In the UK he'd probably be arrested, they won't touch him across the pond.

A-fcuking-men to that. Maybe posters should remind themselves how the US values freedoms more than probably any other country in the world, next time they are ready to post some light hearted anti american speil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Where did you find that?

Because really

The tool I used use for checking for phoshopping is alas defunct....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Nodin wrote: »
    The tool I used use for checking for phoshopping is alas defunct....

Your brain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

Well then go get a bucket:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-19604735

He is literally being sent to prison for saying something offensive on the internet.
    Although I don't agree with bringing the charge in the first place, it's worth clarifying that he hasn't yet been sentenced and it's (IMO) very unlikely that he will face jail time.

• Moderators Posts: 51,745 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Neil Gaiman has posted a letter from a fan (from Georgia, the former USSR state) who was one of the cast on the film

Seems not even the cast were aware of what the final cut of the film was like.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    A-fcuking-men to that. Maybe posters should remind themselves how the US values freedoms more than probably any other country in the world, next time they are ready to post some light hearted anti american speil.

'US values its own freedoms' would be a bit more accurate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Presumably from the New York Post:

221020.jpg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,210 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

^^^
    Herald Sun wrote:
    I don't believe that there is a (widespread) radicalisation of children" said Silma Ihram, a board member of the Australian Muslim Women's Association [...] on behalf of 25 Muslim groups.
    I'd have thought that any radicalization was a bad thing and while Ihram is quite careful to condemn the violence, it's a less clear whether she condemns the use of children in that way. That's in partial contrast to the Lebanese Muslim Association president, Samier Dandan, quoted earlier in the article who does manage, eventually, to condemn it.

Not sure how many people remember it, but the use of the word "condemn" was always a useful barometer during the troubles in the north if a reporter wanted to know whether an interviewee supported the carrying out of some murderous atrocity or other. If the interviewee did support it, then the interviewee would go to language hell and back to avoid using the word "condemn".

• Advertisement

Russia has announced that, later this year, "all of YouTube could be blocked throughout Russia" owing to the extremist content of the video, while something translated into English as "a government watchdog" was recommending that it be banned immediately:

http://www.thejournal.ie/russia-could-block-youtube-599216-Sep2012/

Meanwhile, Putin's strange love-affair with islam continues unabated in the earthly paradise that is Chechnya:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19627632

I still hold to a comment I heard the other day that the video is as convincing a piece of agitprop as some kid announcing that "Mohammad is a stinky-poo".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Yes, well, at the risk of earning my own share of Islamic fury, I would contend that it is reasonable to conclude that Mohammed most likely was a stinky poo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Mistress 69

When will they ever learn, in publishing these cartoons that they will upset a shower of mad fanatics who will kill...........

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0919/breaking17.html

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Wiggles88

When will they ever learn, in publishing these cartoons that they will upset a shower of mad fanatics who will kill...........

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0919/breaking17.html

And by not publishing such cartoons they would be giving into terrorism and validating these fanatics actions.

Wiggles88 wrote: »
    And by not publishing such cartoons they would be giving into terrorism and validating these fanatics actions.

Point taken. However if the publisher knows that these fanatics will kill, and they will, it would be wise to occupy the higher moral ground and avoid bloodshed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

charlie-hebdo-cover.jpeg

More from Charlie Hebdo. They're the folks who drew the ire of Muslim extremists back in November for planning a special edition 'Charia Hebdo' with guest editor Mohammed. Their office was firebombed a week before the issue went to print.

Charliehebdo.jpg

I'm glad they're willing to challenge this fear of reprisal by publishing another issue featuring images of Mohammed 'in daring positions'.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Muslim world will never relax - if there are no christians, jews or other religions to get upset over and kill there are always other muslims.
    Shia and Sunni have always been at each others throats, kinda like catholics and protestants.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭decimatio

Point taken. However if the publisher knows that these fanatics will kill, and they will, it would be wise to occupy the higher moral ground and avoid bloodshed.

Yes, we mustn't upset them under any circumstances least they commit violence. A brilliant strategy.

We should also pull all support of any kind for the Jewish state. That upsets them too you know.

We should have allowed them commit genocide in East Timor. That upset them so much it was number 3 on Al Queda's list of crimes committed by the west.

We shouldn't allow the publication of novels which criticise Islam. That upset them so much that a famous novelist had to go into hiding for years.

Out of curiousity where would you draw the line? After they invade Poland?

Is it possible that the extremist Muslim world will eventually tire itself out? If drawings of Muhammad are continuously published, very frequently and on a very widespread scale, will they eventually get fed up of protesting? Sort of like a child throwing a tantrum because he's not getting what he wants; eventually that technique will lose its effectiveness, and the child will learn that it's pointless to use it. (Not before he's been violent, though.)

decimatio wrote: »
    Yes, we mustn't upset them under any circumstances least they commit violence. A brilliant strategy.

We should also pull all support of any kind for the Jewish state. That upsets them too you know.

We should have allowed them commit genocide in East Timor. That upset them so much it was number 3 on Al Queda's list of crimes committed by the west.

We shouldn't allow the publication of novels which criticise Islam. That upset them so much that a famous novelist had to go into hiding for years.

Out of curiousity where would you draw the line? After they invade Poland?

It is not so much a question of publication and freedom of the press. Unfortunately we are not dealing with rational people. Lets get real here, they will kill over a cartoon. The publishers know this and therefore should avoid antagonising a bunch of fanatical nutjobs as they know it is likely that people will die. That to me is a better strategy than publication for profit by insulting there fondly held prophet. They should stick to pictures of Royal Boobs, greater entertainment value and unlikely to result in death. Out of curiosity, would you pull a lions tail if you knew he would maul you to death, the lion probably has greater intelligence than the aforementioned fanatics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

gvn wrote: »
    Is it possible that the extremist Muslim world will eventually tire itself out? If drawings of Muhammad are continuously published, very frequently and on a very widespread scale, will they eventually get fed up of protesting? Sort of like a child throwing a tantrum because he's not getting what he wants; eventually that technique will lose its effectiveness, and the child will learn that it's pointless to use it. (Not before he's been violent, though.)
    i like your thinking!
    Every western newspaper should have mohammad cartoons on their front pages every day for a year. The fundies would eventuality tire and give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭decimatio

It is not so much a question of publication and freedom of the press. Unfortunately we are not dealing with rational people. Lets get real here, they will kill over a cartoon.

Then you really need to educate yourself on the meaning of freedom of speech.

They could start a war over it. It makes no difference. We either allow free speech or we do not. It is that simple.

As soon as we silence anyone we destroy free speech.
    The publishers know this and therefore should avoid antagonising a bunch of fanatical nutjobs as they know it is likely that people will die.

And if you believe this then you don't believe in freedom of speech.
    Out of curiosity, would you pull a lions tail if you knew he would maul you to death, the lion probably has greater intelligence than the aforementioned fanatics.

If you don't see why that's not a good comparison then I don't know what to say to you.

People who threaten violence over other peoples freedom of expression need to be told that's not acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

I wonder in bed at night (sometimes) whether the Muslim world is going through a fundamentalist phase that will gradually pass as information eventually disseminates due to modern communication? which might penetrate their inner minds,even if only by osmosis? can the flow of information be blocked indefinitely?. Will the world eventualy leave these ancient cults behind them? because belief in such is totally illogical and will logic eventualy triumph?.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

An example of the mob mentality
    Demonstrators angry over an anti-Islam film accused a local businessman in southern Pakistan of blasphemy, forcing the police to open a case and driving him and his family into hiding, following an argument that broke out when he refused to join their protest, officials said Wednesday.
    As long as they act like this and the most religious have control there will be no proper order.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

at this rate there will be no heads left in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

Every magazine and newspaper in europe and the usa should publish such cartoons this week to give them something to really think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I wasn't too bothered with the "draw muhamed day" stuff a few months ago when it was discussed but now i'm starting to see why it's becoming quite important.

I read yesterday that merckel was considering banning the film when a far-right party claimed that they would show it.

This is a problem. A western government banning a ****e movie because some lads take their own bullshìt too seriously and might go nuts? This is insane. The probem is the people going nuts and not the shìte movie.

If the protests succeed in getting the movie banned, it will only embolden the bearded bishops to whip people into a frenzy over Denny ads and women exposing ankles. I'm certain that if they get their way with cartoons and movies, they'll push for more.

If more media outlets start publishing pictures of muhamed the crazies won't know which way to turn and focus their tantrums. Who knows, over time they might just realise that these hissyfits will achieve nothing - but only if western media makes it clear that satire is something that isn't going away or that some deities or idols won't be immune from it if people kick up a fuss.

These decapitation fetishists need to be stopped. Our breakfasts depend on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Never,

Historically every religion has had its times of causing nothing but trouble and to be fair more people have been killed in the name of Christianity.

Peace will only come when everyone decides to stop believing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Never,

Historically every religion has had its times of causing nothing but trouble and to be fair more people have been killed in the name of Christianity.

Peace will only come when everyone decides to stop believing.

I'm not religious at all but that comment is BS. For some people Religion is a great part and source of inspiration in their life.

It aint my way of life but I can respect those who are religious and dont feel the need to ram it down other peoples neck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

If I had a large amount of money I should certainly found a hospital for those whose grip upon the world is so tenuous that they can be severely offended by words and phrases and yet remain all unoffended by the injustice, violence and oppression that howls daily about our ears.

Stephen Fry.

I've just watched the offending movie trailer for the first time.
    I am OUTRAGED! :mad:

That a human being(s) could be killed because someone takes offense over someones opinion of another human being and their view of how the world should be.

Sadly I think that humanity is in a vortex of conflict, because religion is based on power and the only time that there will be
    'Peace On Earth'
    Is when the last surviving man realises that there is no one left to fight, or to dominate. And understands that he has won and also lost.

Humans Eh?

Religion, the cancer of humanity.

Advertisement