Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will the Muslim world relax?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

My Housemate is Muslim... He seems ok... he sometimes gets freaked out thou when i Listen to Cradle of filth at 4am on full volume. Apart from that hes pretty calm:P

• Registered Users Posts: 20 BaBaBluesheep

btw catholic schl text books still aren't much better, stereotyping almost subliminally...some of the stories in their reading zone books (folens.ie)make for v uncomfortable reading even for me..nevermind a muslim child being raised here...my least favourite is one in the 5th class bk...also how can any of us expect muslim countries to be 'developed' when they keep being bombed back in to the dark ages..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

BaBaBluesheep,Yes,i have read the book infidel,by ayaan hirsi ali,and im starting now on nombad the follow on book from infidel.I have found her perspective interesting,and different given the fact she did live a muslim life,before denouning her religion..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Yes,i have read the book infidel,by ayaan hirsi ali,and im starting now on nombad the follow on book from infidel.I have found her perspective interesting,and different given the fact she did live a muslim life,before denouning her religion..

Yet she doesn't suggest that all muslims must carry the blame for the behaviour of radicals. In much the same way the majority of christians don't for the likes of Pat Robertson or Ken Ham.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

ronan45 wrote: »
    My Housemate is Muslim... He seems ok... he sometimes gets freaked out thou when i Listen to Cradle of filth at 4am on full volume. Apart from that hes pretty calm:P

You would not want to know what i would do:D and I aint muslim

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

ronan45 wrote: »

You could play Cat Stevens new stuff at 4am at full blast and I'd say he'd get freaked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Christmas, My Grandfather was Muslim, He was the kindest man I ever met. He married a Christian woman in a Christian ceremony. He had his beliefs and respected hers.
    Tbh I think you are talking nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭juanjo

just some pics:
    laHT5.jpg
    Q50oC.jpg
    cvmEV.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Gbear wrote: »
    While it's obvious that most muslims are decent people in general they're quite clearly less decent than religious people in the developed world.

Holy christ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

I'm an American and can plainly see the failed foreign policy that America has pursued. I understand the grievances that the Islamic world has against us and would strongly support many causes that they champion, i.e. Palestine, anti imperialism etc... That being said I'm sick of these protestors breaching our embassies and the muppet "governments" that continue to allow this carry on.

Something needs to be done and the countries that aren't protecting our embassies need to be held to account.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

robindch wrote: »
    I imagine because in many of the countries where protests are occurring, no publications or broadcasts are made without explicit government approval, hence many will believe that the US government is directly to blame. Alternatively, the local mullahs are there just stirring the pot and the lads decide to go out and sort out the closest Americans they can find.Because it's not in the interest of religious leaders that it does.

Another point is that often a lot of people who don't live in a democracy don't quite understand the reality of the system. If they hear that America is a country run by it's people they may often take a very literal version of that and believe that American government and military actions are sanctioned by all Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Wibbs wrote: »
    Very much so and I'd echo decimatio's take on not painting all adherents with the same brush, however the Mexican and SA crime rates have absolutely nothing to do with some religious interpretation, even in a sideways manner like in Northern Ireland. Kinda apples and oranges comparison wise.

Put it another way if Libya was a christian country would they be killing people over this? Sure you get the whackjobs in the US attacking abortion clinics and trying to turn education back a century, but not nearly to the degree seen in the Islamic world, especially in the Arab Islamic world(your Malays for example seem significantly more levelheaded on average).

Now Christians have killed millions, hell Buddhists have killed a fair few throughout history, however they really had to bend their own rules to do so. Neither Jesus, nor Buddha killed people, nor had people killed. One ws executed, the other lived into old age preaching. Both were poor(or ended up that way). Muhammed, on the other hand if we're to take the various biographies of him did have people killed and led an army of conquest and pillage and slavery(setting down rules on how to prosecute such things). That's a helluva difference and that background makes it a lot easier for adherents to act the maggot, even if the majority, the vast majority don't. Even that vast majority because of this background may tacitly turn a blind eye even grudgingly support the nutters, especially in the face of western aggression.

True. But there might also be a sense of having to, fit in. Conform. "You're either with us, or against us!"

Remember when that lovely man Kim Jong Il passed away, sadly, just last year. The outpouring of faux grief that followed was Orwellian in nature. I'm not saying that Egyptian, Libyans and Saudis are the same as North Koreans, but there are similarities. The Saudis have their religious police. There's also a high price to pay for apostasy.
    In November 2005, Iranian convert Ghorban Tourani was stabbed to death by a group of fanatical Muslims. A 2010 poll by Pew Research Center showed that 86% of Muslims in Jordan, 30% in Indonesia, 76% in Pakistan, 6% in Lebanon and 51% of Nigerian Muslims agree with death penalty for leaving Islam.

I would be terrified of a group of fanatical muslims. Like a pack of musky smelling, rabid dogs with curly swords screaming "Alalalalalalalalalalala!"

I'm an American and can plainly see the failed foreign policy that America has pursued. I understand the grievances that the Islamic world has against us and would strongly support many causes that they champion, i.e. Palestine, anti imperialism etc... That being said I'm sick of these protestors breaching our embassies and the muppet "governments" that continue to allow this carry on.

Something needs to be done and the countries that aren't protecting our embassies need to be held to account.

I agree with what youre saying,and i do see there are greviances over certain issues like the palestine one,and the destabilised government of iraq,yes saddam was a nut,but at least there was infracstructure and jobs,what is there now,just car bombs,no jobs,and people on a daily basis being shot and maimed.There is an apparent sense of lawlessness that wasnt there before..

The american embassies shouldnt be there interfering,and so on in the first place,i understand there are embassies everywhere,but there has been warmongering and interference in a lot of muslim countries..

I think what the americans should do is pull out all help and see how the muslims far out,i think NATO and the UN should also pull out and leave them fend for themselves,they do so much b1tch!ng about american presence,why not pull out,save yourself millions and dont get a bad rap for foreign policy,as with foreign policy there is a saying,you can never win..

Yet she doesn't suggest that all muslims must carry the blame for the behaviour of radicals. In much the same way the majority of christians don't for the likes of Pat Robertson or Ken Ham.

where did pat roberston or ken ham extert total unquestioned control over the christian world,to the extent mullahs and ayatollahs do..

• Registered Users Posts: 9 joncon45

They will relax when they become civilised...They are still living in the dark ages and will be as long as they belive in all that superstitious mumbo jumbo they read in the Koran....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

where did pat roberston or ken ham extert total unquestioned control over the christian world,to the extent mullahs and ayatollahs do..
    That wasn't even near the point. The point was there are radicals in every organisation that do not reflect the beliefs of the majority.
    joncon45 wrote: »
    They will relax when they become civilised...They are still living in the dark ages and will be as long as they belive in all that superstitious mumbo jumbo they read in the Koran....
    I know another culture where a majority of the population claim to believe in obvious mumbo jumbo. So unless we're "uncivilised" in Ireland there must be more to it than that.

Yes, you've obviously a vast knowledge of the world of Islam allright.

You didn't get back to me on this....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80767870&postcount=59

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Take that kfc, that will learn them!

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

That's not actually true. Hirsi Ali is an insane Islamophobe and as such should not be promoted by Atheist Ireland.
    Reason: Should we acknowledge that organized religion has sometimes sparked precisely the kinds of emancipation movements that could lift Islam into modern times? Slavery in the United States ended in part because of opposition by prominent church members and the communities they galvanized. The Polish Catholic Church helped defeat the Jaruzelski puppet regime. Do you think Islam could bring about similar social and political changes?

Hirsi Ali: Only if Islam is defeated. Because right now, the political side of Islam, the power-hungry expansionist side of Islam, has become superior to the Sufis and the Ismailis and the peace-seeking Muslims.

Reason: Don’t you mean defeating radical Islam?

Hirsi Ali: No. Islam, period. Once it’s defeated, it can mutate into something peaceful. It’s very difficult to even talk about peace now. They’re not interested in peace.

Reason: We have to crush the world’s 1.5 billion Muslims under our boot? In concrete terms, what does that mean, “defeat Islam”?

Hirsi Ali: I think that we are at war with Islam. And there’s no middle ground in wars. Islam can be defeated in many ways.
    Continued: http://reason.com/archives/2007/10/10/the-trouble-is-the-west/singlepage

BaBaBluesheep,Yes,i have read the book infidel,by ayaan hirsi ali,and im starting now on nombad the follow on book from infidel.I have found her perspective interesting,and different given the fact she did live a muslim life,before denouning her religion..
    I hate to burst your bubble but you are being duped by a con-artist who takes advantage of your prejudices to line her pockets. Ayaan Hirsi Ali (<--- not even her real name!") is a liar and a fraud who was exposed by a Dutch documentary crew.

Parts 2,3 and 4 also available on youtube. Enjoy.

• Advertisement

Ayaan Hirisi Ali may have lied about her identity and true intentions for being in holland,she said she was fleeing persecution, a lie, she told,a lie many,many foreigners tell to get into holland and ireland every single day of the week.Im not condoning it or saying its right,but its not a reflection of her true character,she has uncovered a lot of unpalatable truths about islam and muslims and how they follow their book and live by it,regardless of the many flaws in it..

Ayaan .............many flaws in it..

You have yet to get back to me on this.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80767870&postcount=59

Any reason at all for that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I hate to burst your bubble but you are being duped by a con-artist who takes advantage of your prejudices to line her pockets. Ayaan Hirsi Ali (<--- not even her real name!") is a liar and a fraud who was exposed by a Dutch documentary crew.

Parts 2,3 and 4 also available on youtube. Enjoy.
    What did they expose?

Ayaan Hirisi Ali may have lied about her identity and true intentions for being in holland,she said she was fleeing persecution, ... ..
    And she lied about a whole lot more. You've already condemned her family, society and former husband. Why don't you watch the documentary and get their side?
    how they follow their book and live by it,regardless of the many flaws in it..
    Remind you of someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19602177

- In the Yemeni capital Sanaa, security forces fired warning shots and water cannon to disperse protesters near the US embassy
    - In the Lebanese city of Tripoli, protesters set fire to a KFC branch, sparking clashes with security forces
    - In Bangladesh, thousands of demonstrators demanded harsh punishment for the film's makers, and burned the American flag
    - In London, about 200 protesters gathered outside the US embassy, burning the US and Israeli flags but there was no violence
    - About 1,000 people joined a protest in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad, burning an effigy of US President Barack Obama
    - Thousands of Palestinians demonstrated in the Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem
    - In Nigeria, police in the flashpoint northern city of Jos fired live round at a protest outside a mosque
    - There were also protests in eastern Sri Lanka and in the Maldives

There have been attacks against both UK and German embassies as well. It's one thing to say "Hey, you can't hold all Muslim's responsible for the actions of a few!", but it would be pretty damn disingenuous to try to ignore the massive and violent protests that have, on several occasions, erupted across the Muslim world in response to nothing more than a person or private group publishing something they find offensive. And while we might be talking about a minority, I don't think that minority is as small as some might like to maintain. The sheer casualness with which some Muslims call for the death penalty for the slightest offense is chilling.

Of course there is also this:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/jtes/12-photos-of-benghazi-citizens-apologizing-to-amer

What did they expose?
    See title.

You have yet to get back to me on this.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...0&postcount=59

Any reason at all for that?

They killed a US ambassador,they get plenty of foreign aid,there are UN troops and NATO troops in parts of the muslim world and charities to help out.All they get is the proverbial a kick in the face(if they are lucky if unlucky,lynched and killed).What had that man in the US embassy got to do with an egyptian director of that film that was released about mohammed??NOTHING.

Ive seen it down through the years,muslims lynching foreginers,based on ignorance and hatred from their book.Anything to do with mohammed and out come the knives..

They need to relax and take of the hate tinted glasses for once and see that were not the enemy..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

See title.
    O...k... I can't be arsed to watch the documentary.

What, in your opinion, is the biggest lie they exposed?

O...k... I can't be arsed to watch the documentary.
    That's you call/loss.

• Advertisement

There have been attacks against both UK and German embassies as well. It's one thing to say "Hey, you can't hold all Muslim's responsible for the actions of a few!", but it would be pretty damn disingenuous to try to ignore the massive and violent protests that have, on several occasions, erupted across the Muslim world in response to nothing more than a person or private group publishing something they find offensive. And while we might be talking about a minority, I don't think that minority is as small as some might like to maintain. The sheer casualness with which some Muslims call for the death penalty for the slightest offense is chilling.

Valid points you have made so far,if someone were to film something offensive about my god,i honestly wouldnt be screaming hysterically for the death penalty or getting involved in mob lynching and murderous riots..

I dont think the muslim world will ever relax,i think it has a long way to go,probably 500 years or more,there have been ''moderates'' that have sought to change their holy book the quaran,but there were scholars and imams calling for death to those who attempt this.

Advertisement