Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will the Muslim world relax?

Options
  • 14-09-2012 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

One American Israeli makes an insulting film,the entire Muslim world is in uproar. Killing Americans purely on grounds of a shared nationality?. Same way with the cartoons,why do they blame an entire nation on account of one person's cartoon?.

And anyway we all have to take insults,sometimes wrongly from time to time,part of that is legitimate though under freedom of speech.

I give credit to the Christians who distributed anti-gay leaflets at last weekends Pride Parade,they are bigots and responsible for hate and suicide,but nobody is physicaly afraid of them.

Why can't Islam behave a bit more rationaly?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Freiheit wrote: »

Because they're not rational people.

Rationality is something you have to work on. In quite a few muslim countries there's **** all education, especially for women (which would probably reign in the stupidity of the men), and it's replaced by what is currently a far less reasonable religion than most others in the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Education starts with the muslim school,and their teachings include their religion,which has hatred of anything non muslim and seeks to convert also..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

teachings include their religion,which has hatred of anything non muslim
    Maybe what the average Muslim finds upsetting is this kind of misinformed tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

Much of the Islamic world is at a stage of development similar to pre-capitalist Europe. Over the past couple of centuries, Christianity has lost its intellectual dominance in Europe.

However, it's worth bearing in mind that much Islamic violence is also a reaction against continued US imperialism. It's not just about religion.

Its not misinformed,its truth,something a lot of liberal secular people dont want to digest,right now in egypt they are burning books at kiosks,and car bombs are going off in iraq..

Try living there and saying islam is a peaceful religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

When everyone is a muslim.

Then it will be a battle till there is only one type of muslim, radical sunni or radical shiite

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

[...] why do they blame an entire nation on account of one person's cartoon?
    I imagine because in many of the countries where protests are occurring, no publications or broadcasts are made without explicit government approval, hence many will believe that the US government is directly to blame. Alternatively, the local mullahs are there just stirring the pot and the lads decide to go out and sort out the closest Americans they can find.
    Because it's not in the interest of religious leaders that it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I for one look forward to a nuclear holocaust; it's the only thing that's going to stop the crazy fundamentalists, east and west.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

One American Israeli .
    Isn't this unclear? m.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/13/anti-islamic-film-us-nakoula?cat=world&type=article
    Most are saying coptic Christian now

Its not misinformed,its truth,something a lot of liberal secular people dont want to digest,right now in egypt they are burning books at kiosks,and car bombs are going off in iraq..

There are roughly 1.6 billion Muslims on Earth. The violence broadcast on TV is perpetrated by a tiny, tiny percentage of the total. For the vast majority of its adherents it's a peaceful religion; for a minority it's an excuse to be a hateful individual, or to attempt to oppress others.

Still, as religions go, it's my least favourite. They (the extremists and religious leaders) need to relax and drag their dogmatic views forward by a half dozen centuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭decimatio

I'm as vehemently anti-religious as they come and unapologetically so. But I do feel that we shouldn't label all of any adherents with the same brush.

I don't feel it's right to label all muslims as one thing or another because of the actions of a few or even of most if that were the case.

I know some muslims who I consider friends and while I couldn't disagree with them more about their religion I couldn't say they were anything short of genuinely decent people.

I realise that the OP probably isn't doing so and also that most people say 'muslim' or 'christian' when they might actually mean 'this group of muslims/christians' but I do feel that it's necessary to make it clear especially in relation to Muslims as too many people do label them all with the one brush and I think it muddies the waters too much.

Mexico and south Africa are both predominantly Christian and have the world's highest crime rates in general and murder rates in particular. What does this say about Christianity?
    Nothing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_of_the_Book
    In Islam, the Muslim scripture, the Qur'an, is taken to represent the completion of these scriptures, and to synthesize them as God's true, final, and eternal message to humanity. Because the People of the Book recognize the God of Abraham as the one and only god, as do Muslims, and they practice revealed faiths based on divine ordinances, tolerance and autonomy is accorded to them in societies governed by sharia (Islamic divine law).

Most of the western world's ignorant peasants (well represented on this thread) can't understand the difference between Arab and Muslim or Religion and Politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

The current Islamic year is 1433. Christians "relaxed" in 20th century. So Muslims will reach the current christian stage in about 500 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

if the religion is the reason for murders and violent protests......then it is the religion that is to blame......

that is the sad part......

there is only one religion in this world.....it is called, disappointment.....

The current Islamic year is 1433. Christians "relaxed" in 20th century. So Muslims will reach the current christian stage in about 500 years!

We should warn them about inquisitions, kiddie fiddlers, hitler youth etc

Also, the Jews should have a pan-galactic empire by now as they're centuries ahead of Christians.

For the vast majority of its adherents it's a peaceful religion; for a minority it's an excuse to be a hateful individual, or to attempt to oppress others.

Still, as religions go, it's my least favourite. They (the extremists and religious leaders) need to relax and drag their dogmatic views forward by a half dozen centuries

Its not as simple as being moderate or peaceful,the people there have to adhere to the laws of the religion,in this religion there are laws to be followed..how peaceful can a relgion be with legal beheadings for perceived social misdoings,such as a downs syndrome girl ripping up the koran,or amputations of those who may or may not have shoplifted and probably did bc they were so poor..

It doesnt seem like a religion of peace where women can get 100 lashes for a sideways glance or an insuborndinate worker to an employer etc..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think the real comparison here is between Muslim extremists and their counterparts in other religions. Perhaps the thread should be read in that light.

That said, extremists don't relax by definition...

Its not as simple as being moderate or peaceful,the people there have to adhere to the laws of the religion,in this religion there are laws to be followed..how peaceful can a relgion be with legal beheadings for perceived social misdoings,such as a downs syndrome girl ripping up the koran,or amputations of those who may or may not have shoplifted and probably did bc they were so poor..

It doesnt seem like a religion of peace where women can get 100 lashes for a sideways glance or an insuborndinate worker to an employer etc..

Is that not a criticism against the governments of particular Islamic countries (countries that enforce Sharia law, for example)? You can hardly blame the average citizen for the harshness of their government; the actions of a government not necessarily representative of the views of the average citizen.

It's extremists that give Islam a bad name, not its moderate or liberal followers. Given that the extremists are a minority, it's unfair to paint the majority with their actions and views.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Gurgle wrote: »
    Mexico and south Africa are both predominantly Christian and have the world's highest crime rates in general and murder rates in particular. What does this say about Christianity?
    Nothing.
    Very much so and I'd echo decimatio's take on not painting all adherents with the same brush, however the Mexican and SA crime rates have absolutely nothing to do with some religious interpretation, even in a sideways manner like in Northern Ireland. Kinda apples and oranges comparison wise.

Put it another way if Libya was a christian country would they be killing people over this? Sure you get the whackjobs in the US attacking abortion clinics and trying to turn education back a century, but not nearly to the degree seen in the Islamic world, especially in the Arab Islamic world(your Malays for example seem significantly more levelheaded on average).

Now Christians have killed millions, hell Buddhists have killed a fair few throughout history, however they really had to bend their own rules to do so. Neither Jesus, nor Buddha killed people, nor had people killed. One ws executed, the other lived into old age preaching. Both were poor(or ended up that way). Muhammed, on the other hand if we're to take the various biographies of him did have people killed and led an army of conquest and pillage and slavery(setting down rules on how to prosecute such things). That's a helluva difference and that background makes it a lot easier for adherents to act the maggot, even if the majority, the vast majority don't. Even that vast majority because of this background may tacitly turn a blind eye even grudgingly support the nutters, especially in the face of western aggression.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Education starts with the muslim school,and their teachings include their religion,which has hatred of anything non muslim and seeks to convert also..

This applies to all Muslims globally, does it? Mistruths and scaremongering, as usual.

• Advertisement

Its not a mistruth,and there is no scaremongering,im just saying what i have read so far in Ayaan Hirsi Alis book infidel,and she is an ex muslim.She states that muslim schools teach hateful things about jews and infidels,are you going to call that a lie too?

It's your "truth". It's certainly not universal. You do this on every thread, christmas. It's like hearing Wizard every year, boring and predictable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

decimatio wrote: »
    I'm as vehemently anti-religious as they come and unapologetically so. But I do feel that we shouldn't label all of any adherents with the same brush.
    While I agree with you in principle, I haven't heard many islamic leaders standing up and condemning the violence and neither am I aware of substantial numbers of muslims anywhere condemning it either.

While the violence is certainly perpetrated by an unpleasant minority, its presence seems to be generally tolerated by the complicity of the majority.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

old hippy wrote: »
    It's your "truth". It's certainly not universal. You do this on every thread, christmas. It's like hearing Wizard every year, boring and predictable.
    Ah here, don't diss Wizard.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭decimatio

robindch wrote: »
    While the violence is certainly perpetrated by an unpleasant minority, its presence seems to be generally tolerated by the complicity of the majority.

You just perfectly defined my problem with moderates of any religion. They may be quite tame themselves but I see it as a form of 'gateway extremism' or as a protective shield for such elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Its not a mistruth,and there is no scaremongering,im just saying what i have read so far in Ayaan Hirsi Alis book infidel,and she is an ex muslim.She states that muslim schools teach hateful things about jews and infidels,are you going to call that a lie too?
    You are aware that Irish catholics schools up until very recently taught hateful things about protestants and muslims? They probably still do teach hateful things about atheists.

I do agree strongly with decimatio in that it's the moderates in any religion who allow the extremists to exist. Their constant retort that they are peace-loving only serves to shield the extremist elements from being outed. Even if they consider the other person to be "extreme" they still think of them as "one of us" as so will refuse to expose the extremist element.

It's not unique to religion to be fair, it's the same of any distinct group. Travellers have the exact same problem.

robindch wrote: »
    While I agree with you in principle, I haven't heard many islamic leaders standing up and condemning the violence and neither am I aware of substantial numbers of muslims anywhere condemning it either.

http://www.voanews.com/content/muslims-religion-attack/1506903.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/13/us/american-muslim-leaders-condemn-attacks.html

And harking back to Sept 11th 2001

http://kurzman.unc.edu/islamic-statements-against-terrorism/

Also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_attitudes_towards_terrorism

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Liamario wrote: »
    I for one look forward to a nuclear holocaust; it's the only thing that's going to stop the crazy fundamentalists, east and west.

or the zombies

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

old_aussie wrote: »

When everyone is a muslim.

Then it will be a battle till there is only one type of muslim, radical sunni or radical shiite

Wasn't Christianity the same for centuaries. I think your description of 2 types of muslim is an unfair generlisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

While it's obvious that most muslims are decent people in general they're quite clearly less decent than religious people in the developed world.
    But then again you've got Christian fundamentalists murdering gays in Africa, as well as the butchering of albino people for use as magic artifacts.

The important difference seems to be about education and prosperity.
    You could well argue that Islam presents a singularly powerful force in suppressing education, particularly in a gender-apartheid sense but that you have more Muslims being dicks than Christians in developed countries probably isn't down to religion per se.
    It's always been the case that de-humanising and the general erosion of empathy towards people makes people act awful towards others - genocide is usually what follows. I would argue that such empathy erosion happens more easily with poorly educated people and that's what leads to the kind of barbarism in murdering people because of cartoons.

The progressiveness of religion seems to be more driven by how progressive it's adherents are, rather than the other way around.
    Christianity isn't actually all that much more reasonable than Islam if you were to actually follow it to the letter. Education is the reason why we don't.

Advertisement