Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Sensation XE with Beats headphones with 02

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Balloonboy

Boston..

It doesnt have anything to do with TV, it just has to do with the digital infrastrucure being launched which has capability for mobile networks, meaning that your mobile phone wont use radio frequencies any longer, and will utilise the digital network to connect...

faster speeds, better quality calls and not weather permittent etc etc..

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

Thanks Baloonboy, good to know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Liam O wrote: »
    ordered it anyway, didn't even get a generic email from O2 though which makes me think there may be a problem...

Did anyone get the generic email yet? The more I read up about the phone, the more I want it!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

soooo tempted but i went through the whole process this morning before it told me it was out of stock and i think that was meant to be.

i only want the hadnset not the calls/data.

the missus has got a O2 golden sim, if i transfer her number to this i guess she will lose her golden sim benefits.

must.resist.

I think it is probably going to be cancelled anywayfrown.png as the price of similarly priced phones on a 6 months contract seem to be upwards of €279 upfront :( (nokia lumia 800 and some sony phone both €399 on prepay and cost the €279 upfront on the 6 month contract)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

soooo tempted but i went through the whole process this morning before it told me it was out of stock and i think that was meant to be.

i only want the hadnset not the calls/data.

the missus has got a O2 golden sim, if i transfer her number to this i guess she will lose her golden sim benefits.

must.resist.

I was tempted too, but I'm going to pass it gets a meh review here, for the audio side.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/601119/htc-sensation-xe-review

Good price though if (it goes through) if you just want a better android device.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Lads, dont listen to that Ballonboy. He's talking nonsense.

Balloonboy wrote: »
    ...I do not prefer the Three network at all, but if you go with them, due to the network merger with Vodafone, you will have 4G capability with this phone on the 30.09.12 when your TV goes digital.. (Three and Vodafone are the only networks that have licensed this arrangement yet)...

Sorry but you specifically mention digital TV. Whats this got to with digital TV.

4G
    As opposed to earlier generations, a 4G system does not support traditional circuit-switched telephony service, but all-Internet Protocol (IP) based communication such as IP telephony. As seen below, the spread spectrum radio technology used in 3G systems, is abandoned in all 4G candidate systems and replaced by OFDMA multi-carrier transmission and other frequency-domain equalization (FDE) schemes, making it possible to transfer very high bit rates despite extensive multi-path radio propagation (echoes). The peak bit rate is further improved by smart antenna arrays for multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) communications.

Digital TV
    DTTV is transmitted on radio frequencies through terrestrial space in the same way as standard analog television, with the primary difference being the use of multiplex transmitters to allow reception of multiple channels on a single frequency range (such as a UHF or VHF channel) known as subchannels.
    The amount of data that can be transmitted (and therefore the number of channels) is directly affected by channel capacity and the modulation method of the channel.[1] The modulation method in DVB-T is COFDM with either 64 or 16-state Quadrature Amplitude Modulation (QAM). In general, a 64QAM channel is capable of transmitting a greater bit rate, but is more susceptible to interference. 16 and 64QAM constellations can be combined in a single multiplex, providing a controllable degradation for more important program streams. This is called hierarchical modulation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

BostonB wrote: »
    I was tempted too, but I'm going to pass it gets a meh review here, for the audio side.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/601119/htc-sensation-xe-review

Good price though if (it goes through) if you just want a better android device.

That review is complete and utter dribble! Some people just love to hate beats by dre I guess! Proper review here

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/htc-sensation-xe-1038353/review

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Balloonboy

Same system, one channel to host a range of services including telecommunications.

The "Digital" network referred to has not been launched yet. Once it has been rolled out users can connect to it, giving a higher range of services through its routing.

The explanation you have given is technical and correct:)

My reasoning for using the words "Digital TV", is reference to the launching of the network. Once launched, it will open up opportunities for telecoms to connect to it and harness the capabilities and frequencies which it uses.

My point also is that with the Three/Vodafone merger, both infastructures of networs will be shared, thus connecting as one user, giving higher speeds and services than currently.

B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭razor12345

Has anyone received an order confirmation email?

razor12345 wrote: »
    Has anyone received an order confirmation email?

Not me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

apple are gearing towards mving to a similar android operating system in the future...
    Same system, one channel to host a range of services including telecommunications.

The "Digital" network referred to has not been launched yet. Once it has been rolled out users can connect to it, giving a higher range of services through its routing.

The explanation you have given is technical and correct:)

My reasoning for using the words "Digital TV", is reference to the launching of the network. Once launched, it will open up opportunities for telecoms to connect to it and harness the capabilities and frequencies which it uses.

My point also is that with the Three/Vodafone merger, both infastructures of networs will be shared, thus connecting as one user, giving higher speeds and services than currently.

B
    When Vodafone and Three launch 4G you will only have two networks on this, meaning that the contention ratio will only be within the two networks

(if you think about it now, you have Three, Vodafone, Meteor, O2, Tesco, goconquer, postphone etc etc all running off the same 3G network)

So if you have less networks sharing the 4G network your phone will zip along.

Wow... you take the prize for the most nonsense in a single thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Tigershould...

Yes you do need this, if you buy an iPhone5 your will regret it ;(

Seriously, you cant do anything with that, and apple are gearing towards mving to a similar android operating system in the future...

If I were you, personally (you dont have to take my advise, but it's just a friendly heads up), I would not go near an iPhone and would consider this particular handset without a shadow of a doubt!!

I dislike Apple products but the iPhone 5 will shít all over the XE in basically all categories except value and the fact that it's Android. I also prefer the 4.3" screen myself but that isn't for everybody. I'm surprised none of the reviews note that it's 11.3mm thick which is pretty damn big for such a large phone.

Also, taking an eighteen month contract from 3 instead of a six month contract from O2 is a pretty bad plan in my opinion. In six months you could be getting another phone for free rather than being locked in for another year.

Regarding your take on 4G and digital TV, you seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Also, I do not prefer the Three network at all, but if you go with them, due to the network merger with Vodafone, you will have 4G capability with this phone on the 30.09.12 when your TV goes digital.. (Three and Vodafone are the only networks that have licensed this arrangement yet)

B

Stop your spoofing. Analog switch off is October 24th. You're making assumptions. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭death1234567

Called them there. You can still order it online but its out of stock and they don't know if/when it might be coming back into stock...

areyawell wrote: »
    That review is complete and utter dribble! Some people just love to hate beats by dre I guess! Proper review here

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/htc-sensation-xe-1038353/review

You realise that the review you've linked to basically says the same thing. That fundamentally the beats setting is an EQ preset in the software, and its extremely bass heavy. Also that review has very little detail about the Audio, considering the earphones are one of the main selling points of the phone. Whereas the review I linked primarily about the audio. Heres another review that says roughly the same thing. http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_sensation_xe-review-672p5.php

To get the best sound out of this phone, you'd be better with different earphones and some software/app that bypasses the beats Eq. If you do that it sounds decent. Someone highlights this further down that review. http://www.head-fi.org/t/601119/htc-sensation-xe-review#post_8233039

The thing to note (and that was my only point) that the value here isn't in the head phones or the beats customisation. (Unless your a mega bass head). Its a very decent phone for the price. But don't be sucked in by the beats branding.

Zab wrote: »
    Regarding your take on 4G and digital TV, you seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding there.

Regarding the following statement, I think he has a fundamental disconnect with reality....
    apple are gearing towards mving to a similar android operating system in the future...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

BostonB wrote: »
    You realise that the review you've linked to basically says the same thing. That fundamentally the beats setting is an EQ preset in the software, and its extremely bass heavy. Also that review has very little detail about the Audio, considering the earphones are one of the main selling points of the phone. Whereas the review I linked primarily about the audio. Heres another review that says roughly the same thing. http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_sensation_xe-review-672p5.php

To get the best sound out of this phone, you'd be better with different earphones and some software/app that bypasses the beats Eq. If you do that it sounds decent. Someone highlights this further down that review. http://www.head-fi.org/t/601119/htc-sensation-xe-review#post_8233039

The thing to note (and that was my only point) that the value here isn't in the head phones or the beats customisation. (Unless your a mega bass head). Its a very decent phone for the price. But don't be sucked in by the beats branding.

I've had those earphones or at least similar before and they're very good, can break very easily though which is a worry and I mainly listened to hip hop with them, have Klipsch ones for if I'm listening to rock or anything else so doesn't really bother me, the earphones are a very welcome addition in this pack and better than pretty much any other earphones you can hope to get bundled in with a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Called them there. You can still order it online but its out of stock and they don't know if/when it might be coming back into stock...

How can you order it online do you know? it won't let be when it's out of stock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭death1234567

How can you order it online do you know? it won't let be when it's out of stock?
    He said it takes about a week for the website to be updated when a phone is out of stock. You can go through the order process online but I would guess you'll get a call/email cancelling your order next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

He said it takes about a week for the website to be updated when a phone is out of stock. You can go through the order process online but I would guess you'll get a call/email cancelling your order next week.

ah right at the min it's coming up as out of stock and won't let me order... thanks understand now!

Liam O wrote: »
    I've had those earphones or at least similar before and they're very good, can break very easily though which is a worry and I mainly listened to hip hop with them, have Klipsch ones for if I'm listening to rock or anything else so doesn't really bother me, the earphones are a very welcome addition in this pack and better than pretty much any other earphones you can hope to get bundled in with a phone.

In fairness a plastic cup and a string would be better than most bundled earphones. Good to know you're happy with them. My point was simply don't overvalue the deal because of the phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

Without wanting to derail the thread - would it be pretty easy to get vanilla ICS on these boys or even CyanogenMod ?
    Are HTC planning to jelly bean 'em ?

Not vanilla, but there is a stable CM9 (ICS) build for XE, and a nightly of CM10 too -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1782009

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

is anyone able to order this even though its out of stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    is anyone able to order this even though its out of stock?

Tried twice this morning even when it said it was in stock. Kept giving me an error. Got pissed off and gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,070 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Tried at lunch time, why do they make you go through the whole ordering process only to tell you "Not in stock, remove the phone" or something like that

They break the O2 site so often, I can only assume they think its funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

Any confirmation mails from those who got orders in ?
    Mine says "Pending ..." - won't be any movement till Monday I suspect ?

Advertisement