Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai (and Shatter) failed to enforce the law at RIRA funeral

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Duiske wrote: »
    Exactly. This video below shows how things can turn nasty. Its a clip of what happened in 1987 at Emyvale, Co Monaghan, when detectives tried to stop a van carrying IRA men who had just fired a volley of shots over the coffin of Jim Lynagh, one of the 8 men killed in the Loughgall ambush. Its pure luck one of those Gardai were not seriously injured or killed.

Thanks for that, the scene of the detective climbing out of the ditch soaking wet made my day :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

TheChizler wrote: »
    What test did they fail?
    The Leaving Cert.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Arrests have now been made by the PSNI after they stopped a car on the main Dublin-Belfast road and found weapons. We can't know for sure but it's not too much of a stretch to speculate this might have been the result of intelligence gathered at the funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Thanks for that, the scene of the detective climbing out of the ditch soaking wet made my day :D

You would probably be the first to run to him crying if anything happened to one of your family. You need to cop on just like the fools involved in the funeral farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

You would probably be the first to run to him crying if anything happened to one of your family. You need to cop on just like the fools involved in the funeral farce.
    He should have known better than to try and interfere with a funeral... as the garda did in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

MaxSteele wrote: »
    A racketeer and thug being given a gun salute like he was some sort of hero. Sick.

These modern day idiots have given a fierce kick in the face to deceased republicans who actually died for legitimate political reasons instead of controlling protection and drug rackets.

Like it's effing Donaghmede, not the Bogside, Falls road or border area. Wannabe's and dress up enthusiasts. Ignore.

Yup, the sooner we stop giving these scumbags media coverage the better. Just ignore and let them kill each other if they want.

Edit: Just searched for the offensive word in an online dictionary...never actually considered where it came from before. Hilarious... Up there with "malteaser" and "tayto" :)

He should have known better than to try and interfere with a funeral... as the garda did in this case.

And people should know better than to glorify fools and criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭donaghs

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Don't understand why he was given a paramilitary funeral.

Even report in the media talked about how he was just a mafia man who actually screwed over the paramilitaries by pocketing their fundraising.:pac:

I was thinking that too. Wasn't "taxing" drug dealers his main source of income?

Maybe other criminal gangs should style themselves as patriotic "paramilitatries"?

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Don't understand why he was given a paramilitary funeral.

Even report in the media talked about how he was just a mafia man who actually screwed over the paramilitaries by pocketing their fundraising.:pac:

Because some people are too stupid to realize they are being conned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

The sham funeral procession was handled very well indeed by the police, who showed great restraint in a pressure situation.

On the plus side, it 'outed' sympathisers of this deluded cause (for want of a better word) into one place. A surveillance team's dream. Also on the plus side, it highlighted how low these criminals stoop to maintain control over decent everyday and law abiding citizens.

On the downside however, its simply depressing that people who weren't even born during the height of the so-called Troubles latch on to its remnants who delusively cling to a hijacked cause.
    This minority ignores the democratic rights of this island's inhabitants under the conceit that their ignorant sociopathic activity is allegedly noble when it is nothing more than criminal in everything it does.

• Advertisement

A certain photo in the papers on Monday morning made the day of many Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

steote=JustinDee;80713877]The sham funeral procession was handled very well indeed by the police, who showed great restraint in a pressure situation.

On the plus side, it 'outed' sympathisers of this deluded cause (for want of a better word) into one place. A surveillance team's dream. Also on the plus side, it highlighted how low these criminals stoop to maintain control over decent everyday and law abiding citizens.

On the downside however, its simply depressing that people who weren't even born during the height of the so-called Troubles latch on to its remnants who delusively cling to a hijacked cause.
    This minority ignores the democratic rights of this island's inhabitants under the conceit that their ignorant sociopathic activity is allegedly noble when it is nothing more than criminal in everything it does.[/Quote]

A lot of people fail to realise its a circle that will never end.the Norths troubles don't end and begin with the good Friday agreement.slowly but surely the circle comes around again and the movement gathers momentum through people who become disillusioned with agreements peace processes etc.

It's always been the case in Ireland and will continue to be,until the Norths situation is sorted properly.

Also seems the good Friday agreement was signed 15 years ago,there is a huge portion of the island that didn't vote because they were too young,so a lot of opinion has changed since then.

I don't support any groups etc but until people see the situation from everyone's perspective,well around and around we go....

A lot of people fail to realise its a circle that will never end.the Norths troubles don't end and begin with the good Friday agreement.slowly but surely the circle comes around again and the movement gathers momentum through people who become disillusioned with agreements peace processes etc.

It's always been the case in Ireland and will continue to be,until the Norths situation is sorted properly.

Also seems the good Friday agreement was signed 15 years ago,there is a huge portion of the island that didn't vote because they were too young,so a lot of opinion has changed since then.

I don't support any groups etc but until people see the situation from everyone's perspective,well around and around we go....
    A rough generalism like that above won't change anything. You're speaking for the majority in an wholly unqualified vein. You're entitled to your opinion though of course. The Agreement you mention effected constitutional change. I'd like to see you prove that there is enough of a sea change demanded by enough Irish inhabitants. I would say you'd fail in trying this.

You know I think that this event deserves a lot less outrage than some people are giving it here. This isn't about being republican, or anything of the sort. This is the visual representation of the underclass divide in Ireland where it's the Gardai who are the 'scum' - the representatives of the establishment that in many cases pays for their welfare and housing, but whom are held in disregard by this minority.

I don't see where the idea of republicanism comes into this. When was the last time any of these people did anything to further their cause? They could care less. They give two fingers to the establishment and that is why they are held in such regard by the unwashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

That minority you talk about likely don't even know or care what the agreements contain or that those agreements represent the expressed wish of the majority.

Disillusionment will go on for some people long after the north is reunited, because the north is just a convenient banner under which people try and excuse away their behaviour. People not happy with their lot in life blame the Brits and rail against society in general clutching at any old excuse to try and justify their anger. We saw the same flash up in London where <unmentionable word> tried to use the shooting of a black man to excuse their riotous thievery.

This is the attitude that is propagated by Garda inaction/action amongst some circles. 'dont mess with us, and if you do it'll be your fault what happens'. If the gardai had intervened (now not in some crazy 'spray the crowd with bullets' way) and the crowd got violent, the blame should lie fully with the crowd. It reminds me of those who blame rape victims for instigating their attack because they 'dress sexy'.

The gardai cannot be accused of instigating violence by doing their job, the blame should always lie with the agressor.

That minority you talk about likely don't even know or care what the agreements contain or that those agreements represent the expressed wish of the majority.

Disillusionment will go on for some people long after the north is reunited, because the north is just a convenient banner under which people try and excuse away their behaviour. People not happy with their lot in life blame the Brits and rail against society in general clutching at any old excuse to try and justify their anger. We saw the same flash up in London where <unmentionable word> tried to use the shooting of a black man to excuse their riotous thievery.

Generalisation much,wow?you know what everyone on the island thinks,plus the rioters in England,every one of them.how can I argue with your knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭donaghs

steote=JustinDee;80713877]

I dont see what this has to do with the death of this Dublin extortionist? Can any crime be excused by flying a flag?

donaghs wrote: »
    steote=JustinDee;80713877]

I dont see what this has to do with the death of this Dublin extortionist? Can any crime be excused by flying a flag?

I was replying to a totally different post.

Generalisation much,wow?you know what everyone on the island thinks,plus the rioters in England,every one of them.how can I argue with your knowledge.

I am basing my post on the approval stats for the GFA and more recent polls. I also agree with Rojomcdojo, that 'republicanism' is a facade, a convenient cover for career criminality. This is quite obvious when it comes to RIRA, who amount to a criminal gang, targeting and being targeted by other gangs as they jostled to control a lucrative drugs trade.

As for the London rioters, nah you're right, robbing Nike air max from JD Sports really redressed the lack of justice they were fighting for, attacking elderly people in their homes really bolstered people's wish to see a thorough investigation into the death of Mark Duggan. Torching community businesses really got across the message that these young people can contribute something valuable to society.

• Advertisement

I am basing my post on the approval stats for the GFA and more recent polls. I also agree with Rojomcdojo, that 'republicanism' is a facade, a convenient cover for career criminality. This is quite obvious when it comes to RIRA, who amount to a criminal gang, targeting and being targeted by other gangs as they jostled to control a lucrative drugs trade.

As for the London rioters, nah you're right, robbing Nike air max from JD Sports really redressed the lack of justice they were fighting for, attacking elderly people in their homes really bolstered people's wish to see a thorough investigation into the death of Mark Duggan.

I would say the rioters are just sure scum,not people with anger towards a government.

He was a Dublin criminal involved in murdering other criminals, what does he have to do with the situation in the north? At 32 he never experienced the troubles. How has he advanced things in the north? How were any of his actions advantageous to the republican movement? What does killing drug dealers and extorting Irish publicans have to do with the north? It's a convenient banner, a flag, a smokescreen.

He was a Dublin criminal involved in murdering other criminals, what does he have to do with the situation in the north? At 32 he never experienced the troubles. How has he advanced things in the north? How were any of his actions advantageous to the republican movement? What does killing drug dealers and extorting Irish publicans have to do with the north? It's a convenient banner, a flag, a smokescreen.

I couldn't tell you,I'm not a member of the IRA to be honest.I'm sure they have their beliefs and each member has a certain role in their eyes.

Have you any first hand knowledge of how this group thinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

I would agree with Shatter and the Guards as if they intervened then it could have ended up in a riot, which would have played right into the hands of a lot of the people who attended.

The thing that did annoy me is where the Gardaí were shielded from seeing the people getting changed out of their RIRA clothing. The Guards should have had an elevated view(even the chopper) to see who was dressed up in balaclavas!

I couldn't tell you,I'm not a member of the IRA to be honest.I'm sure they have their beliefs and each member has a certain role in their eyes.

But you can tell us that there are swathes of people unhappy with the GFA?
    Have you any first hand knowledge of how this group thinks?

Yes, they think Alan Ryan was some kind of republican martyr. They confuse republicanism with criminality and any kind of social/political dissent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I'd also take issue with the media and their portrayal of the criminal underworld and dissident republicans. Actions like what happened at this funeral should be lambasted in the press. Too often the media dub these criminal figures with 'hard sounding' nicknames and glamourise or mystify their wicked lives. 'The Beast' was this fellas name, a right goer in the sack according to a Sunday World article... They should be referred to by humiliating monikers, and disgraceful events like this funeral should be reported as 'a mickey mouse parade by fat masked men, likely involved in gangland criminality, and too dim to effect change by any other way than violence' rather than a 'dissident republican show of strength'.

They may be criticised by certain media but they are not ridiculed enough.

But that wouldent sell there papers, which is there end goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Yesterday, whether they realise it or not, was a big test for the Gardai...the dipping of Republican toes in the water to see how they would react, and how much support parading masked gunmen would get in our capital city. In the run-up to the 1916 centenary we'll see a lot more of this stuff I reckon, because the Gardai failed their test, and, far from making 'a wise decision' it appears to some that our police force were intimitated, and backed down.

I can't think of any (civilised) capital city in the world where a proper police force would allow a gang of armed and masked wannabee soldiers to parade, let alone discharge weapons in public, and in daylight !

I completely agree with this.

What should have been done was a complete saturation of the area by the Guards and EMU with a perimiter thrown up for half a mile around the church. Every Man, pram, woman and car entering the area should have been searched and anybody found with paramilitary paraphenalia arrested. In such a scenario you don't get a riot because you are dealing with small groups BEFORE they have turned into a large crowd.
    Let them bleat about police 'harrasment' all they like, they would have gotten the message.
    Sombody else that should have gotten the message was the presiding priest who should have barred the doors and told every man one of them that they faced excommunication if their satanic actors didn't vacate holy ground immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    You know I think that this event deserves a lot less outrage than some people are giving it here. This isn't about being republican, or anything of the sort. This is the visual representation of the underclass divide in Ireland where it's the Gardai who are the 'scum' - the representatives of the establishment that in many cases pays for their welfare and housing, but whom are held in disregard by this minority.

I don't see where the idea of republicanism comes into this. When was the last time any of these people did anything to further their cause? They could care less. They give two fingers to the establishment and that is why they are held in such regard by the unwashed.

They simply romanticise the idea of doing sweet f.a, terrorising others and getting paid for it.

Just a question for people who are using the fact that this passed off peacefully as evidence that the Garda response was the right one.

Why not let these paramilitaries parade through Dublin every weekend? They can pick a different suburb each time, dress up, fire their guns, salute criminals and terrorists and abuse the national flag and sure it'll all be grand once the gardai don't annoy them by intervening? It'll all pass off peacefully so what's the harm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Just a question for people who are using the fact that this passed off peacefully as evidence that the Garda response was the right one.

Why not let these paramilitaries parade through Dublin every weekend? They can pick a different suburb each time, dress up, fire their guns, salute criminals and terrorists and abuse the national flag and sure it'll all be grand once the gardai don't annoy them by intervening? It'll all pass off peacefully so what's the harm?
    It seems the guards and the Ryans had been in contact over the arrangements and an agreement was reached. This agreement was "reneged" and shots were fired. I would imagine if there was a ra funeral tomorrow, the same agreement would not be made.

Advertisement