Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting in the French Alps

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Update:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20009542
    Police investigating the shooting of a British family in the French Alps believe the cyclist also found dead at the scene was shot first, according to a leaked provisional scenario.
    Sylvain Mollier was hit by the first bullets, the report leaked to the French Le Parisien newspaper suggests.
    The killer then shot Saad al-Hilli, his wife and mother-in-law while they sat in their car.
    French investigators suggest the killer was acting alone.
    The family, from Surrey, were on a camping holiday on the shores of Lake Annecy when they were killed.
    The report details how forensic tests suggest Mr Hilli was outside the car with his seven-year-old daughter Zeinab when the shooting started and had attempted to escape with his family before being shot, the BBC's Christian Fraser in Paris reports.
    In panic, Mr Hilli reversed the car into a bank of earth surrounding the remote car park above the hamlet of Chevaline, the report suggests, trapping the back axel and preventing his escape.
    Zeinab was also shot in the shoulder and was struck with the gun, but survived.
    The killer then returned to Mr Mollier, who had been wounded by the first shots.
    The killer apparently missed her four-year-old sister Zeena who was found hiding under the skirts of her dead mother and grandmother the following day.
    Police described the killer as behaving ruthlessly, but without much logic, a pattern of behaviour they suggest is not consistent with a professional hitman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

^^^^^^^

I wonder does this mean he was still in the wrong place at the wrong time, or was he the intended victim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I long said he was the intended victim, I just couldn't get my head around the whole family being killed, unless was some kind of decoy, and if the hitman was there to kill the entire family, his research should have shown there was another child In the car.

I was thinking perhaps the gunman genuinely didn't see the car when he killed the cyclist, then he heard it trying to escape or the father running to the car and had to kill them.

I have a feeling we will never know for sure though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Saddam Hussain gave £840,000 to the family of the British engineer who was murdered with his wife in the Alps, it was claimed last night.
    The former Iraqi dictator is said to have deposited the sum in a Swiss bank account in the name of Saad Al-Hilli’s father.
    The claim, which apparently originated with German intelligence, adds a sensational twist to the baffling case.
    Scroll down for v

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2224127/Saddam-Hussein-gave-840-000-fortune-family-British-father-murdered-Alps-massacre.html#ixzz2AazUyG4R
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

This is such a bizarre case. I wonder if we will ever know what exactly happened?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2224742/French-Alps-shooting-Police-believe-psychopath-mental-hospital-carried-Al-Hilli-killings.html
    'Hide!' Final words of Alps massacre mother whose last action was to undo her four-year-old daughter's seatbelt

The kids seem to be gradually speaking about the shootings but I wonder if they can offer any indication who done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

British family massacred in the Alps were shot by a crazed serial killer with a hatred of tourists, say detectives

French detectives say they have now linked the murders of the British family with the mysterious death of another tourist in July

Xavier Baligant, 29, was shot four times at a rest area near Nancy while he was heading home to Belgium following a camping trip

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2236716/British-family-massacred-Alps-shot-crazed-serial-killer-hatred-tourists-say-detectives.html

I went for nutjob since day one :cool:

One did not see that coming. Really crazy sh1t. It's actually more heartbreaking to think that this family, and cyclist, died so randomly, without rhyme nor reason. I hope the two girls are recovering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Something stinks about this story, I personally don't believe for one minute this was a random nutjob attack. Far too professional, how many rounds were fired again around 25 or 30? with an antique kruger, which means he would have had to reload at least 4 times, I don't think so................. Cover up Cover up Cover up, and the cyclist was a local and he apparently was shot first. Mr Al Hill i was also on Sadams payroll. Think what you might but.........

Think what you might but.........

...due process is there for a reason. In this case it's very unlikely to be harmful, but in others it can destroy any chance of justice being brought via the courts.

Bullsh*t speculation = justice killer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭tigger123

Something stinks about this story, I personally don't believe for one minute this was a random nutjob attack. Far too professional, how many rounds were fired again around 25 or 30? with an antique kruger, which means he would have had to reload at least 4 times, I don't think so................. Cover up Cover up Cover up, and the cyclist was a local and he apparently was shot first. Mr Al Hill i was also on Sadams payroll. Think what you might but.........

Really??? ... doesn't sound to professional to me. Its an assassination, conducted in broad daylight, and then going on to kill the rest of the "targets" family, whilst also leaving a witness alive. Then afterwards (or before hand) this blundering assassin with a love for antique weapons then has to also kill a passerby.

Nope, it was a random nutjob.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Was this mentioned anywhere else? Nothing in the French papers today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

That story is a big load of bóllocks. All the report indicates, other than the headline, is that the detectives are now linking it to another attack because the same type of gun was used but all lines are still open.

I cant see anything in the main body of the story,other than the headline, quoting "a crazed serial killer with a hatred for tourists"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

...due process is there for a reason. In this case it's very unlikely to be harmful, but in others it can destroy any chance of justice being brought via the courts.

Bullsh*t speculation = justice killer

if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck....then of course its a serial killer.:rolleyes:
    Sounds like some people/agencys/governments are putting the pressure on.
    And I dont wear tinfoil hats either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm kind of worried about how many users here have intimate knowledge of what a professional hit looks like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Well I just heard on French news that French police have said that there is 99.9% chance that the French cyclist was not the target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I read yesterday that the french cyclist has a child with a multimillionaire who he was pressuring for money and her family weren't too happy about it...

Here found the article

Frenchman murdered in the Alps massacre was involved in 'bitter dispute' over million pound inheritance
    Sylvain Mollier was shot a total of seven times; other victims were shot twice
    The cyclist, 45, had just had a baby with wealthy heiress, 29
    He was riding a new £4,000 racing bike on the day he was murdered

Boombastic wrote: »
    I read yesterday that the french cyclist has a child with a multimillionaire who he was pressuring for money and her family weren't too happy about it...

Here found the article

Frenchman murdered in the Alps massacre was involved in 'bitter dispute' over million pound inheritance
    Sylvain Mollier was shot a total of seven times; other victims were shot twice
    The cyclist, 45, had just had a baby with wealthy heiress, 29
    He was riding a new £4,000 racing bike on the day he was murdered
    That's been dismissed as rubbish, he wasn't married to her so he wasn't entitled to any money from her inheritance.

That's been dismissed as rubbish, he wasn't married to her so he wasn't entitled to any money from her inheritance.

But it's not about the inheritance (even though the headline says inheritance:confused:). It's about her family being unhappy with his level of spending and he won a legal battle to take the next 3 years off work to look after his child...I don't think the truth will ever come out about this

The couple had been living together for around a year by this time and Claire would have been pregnant with Louis, yet she describes herself as a 'a spinster not signed up to a civil partnership'.

Despite this, Mr Mollier started to receive large amounts of cash from Claire — a development which did not go down well with her side of the family.

Just before his death, Mr Mollier had also won the legal right to take three years off from the factory where he worked to look after Louis, and his two teenage sons from his first marriage.

Mollier was riding a new £4,000 racing bike on the day he was murdered.
    Ironically, Mollier was following a cycling route suggested to him by Thierry Schutz when he was killed, although police sources say he had deviated from that route into the forest lay-by.

'They were particularly concerned about Sylvain's spending. There was a bitter dispute over what was going on and this got worse when Sylvain took three years off to effectively live off Claire's money.'

But it's not about the inheritance (even though the headline says inheritance:confused:). It's about her family being unhappy with his level of spending and he won a legal battle to take the next 3 years off work to look after his child...I don't think the truth will ever come out about this

The couple had been living together for around a year by this time and Claire would have been pregnant with Louis, yet she describes herself as a 'a spinster not signed up to a civil partnership'.

Despite this, Mr Mollier started to receive large amounts of cash from Claire — a development which did not go down well with her side of the family.

Just before his death, Mr Mollier had also won the legal right to take three years off from the factory where he worked to look after Louis, and his two teenage sons from his first marriage.

Mollier was riding a new £4,000 racing bike on the day he was murdered.
    Ironically, Mollier was following a cycling route suggested to him by Thierry Schutz when he was killed, although police sources say he had deviated from that route into the forest lay-by.

'They were particularly concerned about Sylvain's spending. There was a bitter dispute over what was going on and this got worse when Sylvain took three years off to effectively live off Claire's money.'

She would have to describe herself as a "spinster not signed up to a civil partnership". A civil partnership in France (called the PACS) is an official thing, you have to apply for it. You don't just get it if you're living together for a year.

• Advertisement

She would have to describe herself as a "spinster not signed up to a civil partnership". A civil partnership in France (called the PACS) is an official thing, you have to apply for it. You don't just get it if you're living together for a year.

He doesn't need to be her legal partner to spend her money??

He doesn't need to be her legal partner to spend her money??
    I don't know, I was just addressing the point the journalist made in your post that it seemed strange she called herself a spinster not signed up to a civil union. You can give your money to whoever you want, I suppose.

I don't know, I was just addressing the point the journalist made in your post that it seemed strange she called herself a spinster not signed up to a civil union. You can give your money to whoever you want, I suppose.

I don't know either!! it's all a bit mad...each one of them had strange backgrounds/worklife

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Anyone got any more news on this story? Intriguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

His brother has been arrested according to Sky news app.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10138822/Brother-of-Alps-massacre-victim-Saad-Al-Hilli-arrested.html
    The brother of Alps massacre victim Saad Al-Hilli has been arrested by Surrey Police on suspicion of conspiracy to murder.
    Zaid Al-Hilli, 54, was held in an early morning raid at his home in Chessington and is currently being interviewed over the deaths of Saad Al-Hilli, his wife Ikbal, her mother Suhaila al-Allaf and French cyclist Sylvain Mollier.

Their Iraqi father Kadhim Al-Hilli died in Spain two years ago, leaving several properties and £800,000 in a Geneva bank account. Saad hired lawyers to block Kadhim's will until "unknown" disputes had been resolved, according to legal papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Doesn't mention the poor girl left behind. Wonder what happened to her.

It's not a crazy amount of money to go killing your entire family for.

If only the father was killed, would his share have gone to his wife and children? Because otherwise, it seems needlessly cruel to murder the entire family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Doesn't mention the poor girl left behind. Wonder what happened to her.

It's not a crazy amount of money to go killing your entire family for.

If only the father was killed, would his share have gone to his wife and children? Because otherwise, it seems needlessly cruel to murder the entire family.

Well they shot yer man, his wife, the grandmother, and tried to smash in the skull of one of the daughters, so I don't think we can say it was a mistake....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The two girls survived.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

you do realise that bumping this on the 24th june is going to have a few people cancelling their holidays in the alps :p

Advertisement