Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The taste of beer :/

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Come on lads, the OP isn't here looking to develop a sophisticated palate or become a beer connoisseur. He just wants some reassurance that it's normal at his age to not be a fan of beer.
    And you think that people with years of experience & a broad understanding of the subject telling him that the major brands are crap, isn't helpful?

Are the beer connoisseur not the best placed to give advice? No? Ok then...

....hey OP, have a think about which advertisement campaign you think is coolest: Van Damme in the snow, a hut sliding down a ski slope etc... pick that beer - it'll taste like piss, but don't worry about it. It's like a soccer team. Pick it and stick with it. Real men are loyal. You'll soon grow to like the taste, in that you won't know any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Zulu wrote: »
    ....hey OP, have a think about which advertisement campaign you think is coolest: Van Damme in the snow, a hut sliding down a ski slope etc... pick that beer - it'll taste like piss, but don't worry about it. It's like a soccer team. Pick it and stick with it. Real men are loyal. You'll soon grow to like the taste, in that you won't know any better.

That was me as a young lad. Started drinking Heineken for no reason other than it was there. Stuck with it like a football team for years, didn't even occur to me to try other beers, sure why would ya? They all taste the same and the whole point of the exercise is to get drunk and fit in with the lads, pint in hand. It's rare enough that I would get a truly great pint of Heineken (best pint I've ever had was in The Pale pub near Vicar St.) but unfortunately bad pints were commonplace. Didn't matter though, drink it down and don't be complaining.

These days now I'm slightly more discerning. Will check the alcohol aisle in the supermarket for nice craft beers. I actually hunted down the Dungarvan Coffee and Outmeal stout in Kilkenny after reading about it here on boards! Will usually go for a Guinness when I'm out and about but won't turn up my nose at anything different. Sure it isn't great having taste :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

bobjimmy wrote: »
    BUDWEISER is bottled urine ....... Nuff said!!

FYP

I had the utter misfortune of having to order Bud earlier this summer. I won't say "drink" it because I threw the pint away. It was appalling. Metallic, acidic horse piss. And I'm not saying that to sound cool, it was rank.

For the record I was at a gig in the Ivy Gardens and there was a "Smithwicks & Bud" bar. No Smithwicks, at all. Choice was Guinness or bud. Got 2 pints of Guinness before they ran out (at 5:30pm). Only Bud or wine from 5:30. Well done Diagio :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

5am Saint,Punk IPA and Hardcore IPA are my favourite beers ever.Only problem is that most pubs over here don't sell them.

Innes and Gunn's rum cask finish beer is delicious too,but again isn't handily available over here,though Tesco do stock it from time to time.

When I'm in a normal pub in town I'd just get pints of Bavaria or Murray's.

Thank you! I was wondering if I had to be the first to mention innes and gunn. Such a lovely beer. Strong too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

And you think that people with years of experience & a broad understanding of the subject telling him that the major brands are crap, isn't helpful?

Are the beer connoisseur not the best placed to give advice? No? Ok then...

No I don't think it's helpful actually. I think he's a 20 year old lad who just wants to go out and get drunk like we all did when we were 20.

Turning him into a beer snob isn't going to do him any favours. For one thing he lives in a country where very few of these drinks are sold in most pubs and clubs so even if he does learn to like them then he's back to square one when he's going out to a pub or club.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

Thanks for the info Thee_glitz- wow that's worrying about buckfast - I do remember there was fair old weight in the bottle alright - shocking - maybe we should start a prohibition on Buckfast.

Have to second the post on Trouble Brewing - haven't tried the porter to be honest but the ale is lovely - reminds me of one that's produced by Bath Ales in UK called Gem - really liked that only Trouble brewing's one is nicer imho.

Also despite my assertion that Irish breweries produce better beer than our UK counterparts, I have to say I really like the 5am Saint and Punk IPA which are produced in Scotland.

I'm only just discovering the joys of craft beer and am going along to RDS tomorrow also - can't wait to try lots more beers.

Turning him into a beer snob isn't going to do him any favours.
    Sigh, so snobbishness is now equated to educating yourself? Really??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Sigh, so snobbishness is now equated to educating yourself? Really??

Great selective quoting there.

It's my observation that people can be very snobby about their beers.

Great selective quoting there.
    Buddy, it's what you said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

bobjimmy wrote: »
    BUDWEISER ....... Nuff said!!

No. Not enough said.

You'll have to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

It's not a popular opinion but I think the Yanks make a good beer. Sam Adams is a personal favourite of mine. Brooklyn is good too.

I think people tend to be quite snobby about the mass-produced lagers served up at 98% of Irish pubs. I don't think the issue is those drinks themselves as they all serve a purpose (can't beat a pint of Heineken on a hot day, IMO), the problem is the lack of variety and that every pub serves the same drinks.

EDIT - I hated beer when I first started to drink it. Only carried on to fit in. Bloody love the stuff now.

There are many fantastic American breweries. It's just that whenever people think American, they think Anheuser-Busch and Coors, who have a huge majority of the market share.
    Come on lads, the OP isn't here looking to develop a sophisticated palate or become a beer connoisseur. He just wants some reassurance that it's normal at his age to not be a fan of beer.
    No I don't think it's helpful actually. I think he's a 20 year old lad who just wants to go out and get drunk like we all did when we were 20.

Turning him into a beer snob isn't going to do him any favours. For one thing he lives in a country where very few of these drinks are sold in most pubs and clubs so even if he does learn to like them then he's back to square one when he's going out to a pub or club.

Terrible attitude. He actually asked us for recommendations for tasty beer, we delivered, what problem could you possibly have with that?

It's really weird, it's like you feel threatened. Go drink some good beer! You'll be glad you did

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭emco

bamboozle wrote: »

5AM Saint, Punk IPA (both by Brewdog) most Sierra Nevada's, Metalman Pale Ale (waterford brewery) Galway Hooker & O'Hara's Pale ale are all beautiful beers.

So you like pale ales then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Bit rougher on the a*se though!:eek:

Take the cap off it first...

Anyhow, Beoir Chorca Duibhne a hipsters beer made in Kerry is worth a try if you can find it!

Can't beat an auld IPA either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Why is there always such negative crap about cider? Despite popular opinion its not just for women and 15 year olds. Some people seem to think if you want to be a real man you have to drink larger which is pure piss (most of it anyway.) A person should be able to drink what they want to drink.

The only downside to cider in this country is the poor choice. Some offies have the nice stuff though, Aspel's Premier Cru is particularly nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

hardCopy wrote: »
    The only downside to cider in this country is the poor choice. Some offies have the nice stuff though, Aspel's Premier Cru is particularly nice.

I agree. I've tasted some really nice cider abroad - much better than the Bulmers and Druids crap. The nicest cider I've ever tasted was Frisco, which I had in Prague. Does anybody know if that is availabe anywhere in Ireland?

Advertisement