Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The taste of beer :/

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Drinking urine, like beer, is also an acquired taste. It's cheaper, recyclable and gassy. It also looks like beer

Like beer though, never drink anyone else's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

The mass-market beers you get here (Heineken, Budweiser, Carlsberg) really are all about the same, in-offensive and fizzy. There's not much to love about them, they just "do the job".

Look to some Czech beers like Budvar or Staropramen -- you can find those on tap in a good few places, or bottles are fine. Weiss-beer can be a love it or hate it thing. Lidl tend to have good prices on bottles of Franziskaner, and that's lovely.

These beers also tend to do less damage to your head the morning after. Less chemicals and preservatives and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris.Buckley

Krombacher is one of my Favorite beers, and it's what turned me from cider to beer. absolutely lovely, goes down a treat. available in a fair amount of places, and has no comparisons to Heineken, miller, Budweiser or any of the other commercial crap. try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭jclally

If you want beer that actually tastes of something, try a pale ale. The new Smithwicks stuff is ok, but Id recommend the O'Haras one if you can get it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

I don't really like beer either but Tiger is quite drinkable. Corona and Miller aren't too bad either. Coors is grand 'cause it's basically water. Heineken is unpleasant but not impossible to drink. Carlsberg and Stella Artois are just downright vile, I don't know how anyone drinks them.

are you MENTAL my good man ???? the beer of choice is 5.2% of chilled wife beater !!!

who the f2ck drink larger/beer for taste alone ??? if that was the case no one would go NEAR bud- carlsberg - hino - ect ect ect

as the song say's " DRINK TO GET DRUNK " - jesus h christus - amateurs :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgA8z0Gh2iQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Turpentine wrote: »
    Is whiskey a beer?

Is cider?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Is cider?

No no, it's whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

Erdinger would be my beer of choice, a bit expensive, especially in bottles compared to others, but it's worth it in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

1ZRed wrote: »
    That stuff always reminds me of my knacker drinking days at 15

Why is there always such negative crap about cider? Despite popular opinion its not just for women and 15 year olds. Some people seem to think if you want to be a real man you have to drink larger which is pure piss (most of it anyway.) A person should be able to drink what they want to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

dutch gold...that is all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

There's a grand flavour off a pint of Beamish. Bulmers tastes like vinegar

• Registered Users Posts: 33,183 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

ak4 wrote: »
    Okay so im a 20 year old male who is a sociable drinker, my drink of choice is cider mainly Bulmers. The day after though my stomach does be in knots after pints of bulmers and I have been trying to find a beer that I would like the taste of. I have been told that Corona tastes good by friends who also aren't beer fans but it doesnt do it for me. Anyone have any recommendations ?

Welcome to beer world.

The problem with Bulmers is you;re drinking too much of it. it's the acidity of the apples.

What you need to do is to head down to you local off-license and pick a new beer every time. Just one. In additon to what you normally buy. Some you'll like, some you won't.

If you get to the end of the list, take a weekend in Belgium. Try everything. I particualrly recommended Chimay, Dufel and anythign brewed in a monastery.

If that doesn;t work, teetotal.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Erdinger is a nice beer. Those craft beers are also great cos they aren't mass produced.

Avoid Budweiser like the plague, horrible beer altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

muboop1 wrote: »
    Try Blue Moon. Savage drink!

Indeed, OP, try it. It's for teens whose balls haven't dropped but at least it's better than Corona.

Or try Hercules Double IPA or Dunkel. Real beer for real men.

BTW, Carlsberg and 'Heino' are for mammy's boys and football fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

I was the same as you OP. The only beer I can enjoy is Miller

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Honest opinion

Hand in your man card right now :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

Hand in your man card right now
    I´m a woman :P

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

BUDWEISER ....... Nuff said!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,183 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I´m a woman :P

No sh1t?!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭recyclops

Throughly enjoy 5am Saint, a lot of the brew dog stuff is vile but 5am Saint is a fantastic beverage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

seamus wrote: »
    Start drinking Guinness now. You'll be about five years ahead of all your mates.

One or two years even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

ye, always a nasty hangover after bulmers myself. try Kingstone press cider (rocket fuel!)if you can get it...although the only place i know that sells it is the foggy dew in dublin.

ive gone off beer for the summer but i like budvar, porterhouse blue, stella, carlsberg, Pilsner Urquell, spaten, erdinger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

As others have mentioned stay away from the likes of Budweiser, Heiniken Coors etc. Unfortunately I'm not a cider drinker and can't offer any advice on them

If you're looking for good beers, Lidl normally have Franziskaner, Leffe and Hoegaarden on offer.

Erdinger and Paulner are good and are a great introduction to a tasty beer.

Some Irish craft breweries are producing really amazing stuff. The likes of O Haras/Carlow brewery, Galway Hooker, Porterhouse, Trouble brewing, Dungarvan brewery as well as many others are all producing top end beers.

As far as I know Tesco is still doing an offer of 5 world beers for a tenner. Head down and pick up some that catch you're eye.

While they are slightly more expensive than your Heiniken's and Budweisers they are leaps and bounds ahead in terms of taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

You drink beer.
    You get stomach pains the next morning.
    Welcome to "hangover".

I honestly don't give a bollocks if someone screams sexist at this but "man the fúck up and grow a bollocks".
    Look, some (most) beer tastes like pig swill at first. Nobody is going to deny it. It's really rare for someone to like a beer right away.
    Usually it's an acquired taste.

In either case, the stomach pains is usually from a hangover; stop drinking so much/eat more/drink water/whatever works.

Try southern comfort and red lemonade or else various spirits and whatever your favourite fizzy drink is.

And I know I sound like I'm giving you a lecture; I'm not. I assume you're in Ireland and have 2 years to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

I've grown to like Peroni over the past year or so.

I like Erdinger also, and a few other similar German beers but they're harder to find where I live.

Corona is OK in summer time but I've kinda gone off those beers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

ak4 wrote: »
    Okay so im a 20 year old male who is a sociable drinker, my drink of choice is cider mainly Bulmers. The day after though my stomach does be in knots after pints of bulmers and I have been trying to find a beer that I would like the taste of. I have been told that Corona tastes good by friends who also aren't beer fans but it doesnt do it for me. Anyone have any recommendations ?

Evidently.

If you want nice tasting beer with a proper hoppy flavour, steer well clear of all the well known yellow fizz-water products like Corona, Coors, Budweiser, Heineken, Carlsberg etc. Instead choose a foreign beer like Lech, Tyskie, Staropramen, Hoegaarden, etc. Ones that are not advertised.

Or you can go for a craft beer such as Galway Hooker, Porterhouse range or Curim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Half joking here but ask the barman what the least popular beer they have is, order that one.
    My reasoning is people don't go out to enjoy their beer, they just want to be drunk and not spend money.
    The best beers in most "clubby" pubs tend to be in the fridge and not being advertised like mad.

I started drinking craft beers about a year ago and any time I'm broke and I have to go cheap I can't believe how horrible the likes of Heiniken are. The funny thing is your mates will say things like "I don't know how you can drink that weird ****e, would ya not just get a Bud or something?"
    You can just laugh at them as they talk about how good this pint is but the last one was **** because the other bar man ant pull a pint. It's funny because it's all **** and there's no skill to pulling from a keg. :D

As a starter, try Fuller's Honey Dew, it's non-offernive but tasty. If you like it, try a Weiss beer, an easy one to find on tap is Pauliner, then the Ales, 8 Degree's Brewing Company do two great Ales.

The Irish Craft Beerfest is on the weekend in the RDS, have a poke and a few half pints if you can. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Just persevere ("persebeer" if you will)and you'll eventually wonder how you did without it. Try stout too.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

recyclops wrote: »
    Throughly enjoy 5am Saint, a lot of the brew dog stuff is vile but 5am Saint is a fantastic beverage

5am Saint is delicious, but I'd be more inclined to favour their Punk IPA.

I think this is all trying to get the O.P to run before he can walk. He just wants a beer he can drink easily, there's no point in recommending pale ales and the like if he can't pallett even the blandest of beer.

O.P I'd say try Heineken, Coors Light or Blue Moon (also by Coors), they'd probably be the easiest to start with because they're designed to be easy to drink.

I really think you should try Tyskie though. It's crisp and easy to drink, especially for a beer that's 5.6%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I don't think anyone really like the taste of beer at first. But by the time you reach 20 you've probably been drinking it for about 5 years anyway so you should have acquired a taste for it.

I love a pint. That first one you get in the Airport at 9am in the morning on your way off on holidays. Jesus now that's sexy. Dance for me baby...

Advertisement