Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The taste of beer :/

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I went to that a couple of years ago, to be honest, I wasn't overly impressed with the quality of the beers there. One memorable ale tasted like a flat can of beer that had been used as an ashtray the night before - I sh1t you not!

i went for the first time last year and really enjoyed it. thought all the beer was really good. i don't know maybe it got better since you went.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

5am Saint,Punk IPA and Hardcore IPA are my favourite beers ever.Only problem is that most pubs over here don't sell them.

Innes and Gunn's rum cask finish beer is delicious too,but again isn't handily available over here,though Tesco do stock it from time to time.

When I'm in a normal pub in town I'd just get pints of Bavaria or Murray's.

5AM Saint, Punk IPA (both by Brewdog) most Sierra Nevada's, Metalman Pale Ale (waterford brewery) Galway Hooker & O'Hara's Pale ale are all beautiful beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

FatherLen wrote: »
    i went for the first time last year and really enjoyed it. thought all the beer was really good. i don't know maybe it got better since you went.

i'll be there this weekend, looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Beer! Beer! Beer! Beer! BEER!

At the moment I'm quite a fan of the 8 Degrees range. Well worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

German Alt Bier is class in that it tastes fantastic and doesn't give you that bad a hangover.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'll be at the beer festival on Sunday, dying for it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Bit rougher on the a*se though!:eek:

It has never given me any problems in the arse area. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Beer is made predominantly with two ingredients, malted barley and hops. Most beers in what I not-so-affectionately like to call "Diageo Pubs" serve beers with a higher barley:hop ratio, e.g. Budweiser, Miller, Carlsberg.

Try a hoppier beer next time you're in the pub. Something along the lines of Galway Hooker, Pilsner Urquell or even Beamish (a very hoppy stout).

You could also try some wheat or "Weiss" beers, like Paulaner, Erdinger or Weihenstephaner. They tend to be much sweeter, but a bit harsher on the stomach.

Hope that helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Beer is delicious. My brother introduced me to franziskaner. Nicest beer I've ever tasted.

You just can't go wrong with German beer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Why is there always such negative crap about cider? Despite popular opinion its not just for women and 15 year olds. Some people seem to think if you want to be a real man you have to drink larger which is pure piss (most of it anyway.) A person should be able to drink what they want to drink.

I didn't mean that in a negative way at all! I said it reminded me of my drinking days in the back of some random field.

And drink pints of cider more than frequently. I don't have any sort of problem as long as I don't run dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Beer is delicious. My brother introduced me to franziskaner. Nicest beer I've ever tasted.

You just can't go wrong with German beer.

Awh I've had it, it's brilliant.

My Parents went over to visit my cousin in Germany and they brought home a load of wine and a tonne of that beer because alcohol there was on another level to here.

Safe to say never leave my alone with the beer! I might mind them like my babies, but they'll all end up dead in the morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ak4

I plan on going into my local off license this weekend and buying a can/bottle of a few different beers to try.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Maybe try Coors light or add a bit of seven up with it helps with the taste, almost like cider. Best thing to do is to find a beer that has a sweet taste. I can't really drink it myself, have tried countless times but just can't drink it only exception if it sweet or have coors light with seven up to sweeten it. Otherwise I prefer cider to beer, preference for wine/alcopops/bailyes,cocktails and other drinks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Dunno how some people dont like beer, Id drink it from Susan Boyles arse crack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Joekers

ak4 wrote: »
    I plan on going into my local off license this weekend and buying a can/bottle of a few different beers to try.

Thanks.
    Pick up a Honey Dew, a Hobgoblin and Gingerbeard for a start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

areyawell wrote: »
    Dunno how some people dont like beer, Id drink it from Susan Boyles arse crack
    So you've tasted Dutch Gold :p
    Lovely bier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

Haven't had the dutch gold since in college, years ago - that and buckfast (god awful stuff that was), anyone hear the rumour that the more dots/bubbles on the back of the bottle the stronger the alcohol content. Myself and my friends used to go checking eacj of the bottles in the off licence for the highest number of dots. Anyone know what these dots actually meant - I'm guessing something to do with the bottle rather than the contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Haven't had the dutch gold since in college, years ago - that and buckfast (god awful stuff that was), anyone hear the rumour that the more dots/bubbles on the back of the bottle the stronger the alcohol content. Myself and my friends used to go checking eacj of the bottles in the off licence for the highest number of dots. Anyone know what these dots actually meant - I'm guessing something to do with the bottle rather than the contents.

Buckfast is the nectar of the gods.
    There are lots of myths around Buckfast bottles, my favourite one was that the number on the bottom of the bottle indicated which batch it was from (some bottles are nice, some are not). We emailed the abbey where it's made and they assured us that the bottle numbers are from the bottle factory and nothing to do with variosu batches :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It's not a popular opinion but I think the Yanks make a good beer. Sam Adams is a personal favourite of mine. Brooklyn is good too.

I think people tend to be quite snobby about the mass-produced lagers served up at 98% of Irish pubs. I don't think the issue is those drinks themselves as they all serve a purpose (can't beat a pint of Heineken on a hot day, IMO), the problem is the lack of variety and that every pub serves the same drinks.

EDIT - I hated beer when I first started to drink it. Only carried on to fit in. Bloody love the stuff now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I remember tasting my fathers pint as a kid and thought it was disgusting but as you get older you find yourself in situations where you are having a pint with friends and you are distracted and drink the stuff. Over time I acquired the taste. I had similar taste issues with coffee and Guinness in that I didn't like them at first but after a while I grew to love them!

I gave craft beer a try a couple of years ago as some friends I knew were opening a craft beer pub. I was actually unaware of the term until I had a pint in their pub. It was like starting all over again, I initially thought the strong flavours of hops and malt were awful and was thinking I would be sick from the taste. I started with a few milder craft beers and worked my way up to the 'hoppy' ones. Now I cant get enough of it (to the point where I brew it myself). :)

Drop into the festival this evening. You wont be disappointed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I always find bottles are flat compared to cans (why I hate bottles :pac:), so I can't imagine its anything to do with alcohol content more to do with limitations of the container (Bottles afaik are never 100% sealed or something like that).
    It is possible that the more bubbly the drink, the faster it gets into the blood stream and makes you drunk quicker. Its a well understood fact that champagne makes you tipsier faster due to the bubbles getting the alcohol into the blood stream quicker or something like that.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

jay92 wrote: »
    Is'nt buckfast a non-alcholic drink? or am I thinking of something else

Something else entirely! Though it's not the cheapest here, usually about €11.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckfast_Tonic_Wine#Controversy_in_Scotland
    In Scotland, Buckfast is associated with drinkers who are prone to committing anti-social behaviour when drunk,
    especially drinkers under 18 years old. Its high strength (15% ABV/14.8% in the Republic of Ireland), relatively low price
    and sweetness are characteristics that are thought to appeal to underage drinkers. The drink also has a very high
    caffeine content, with each 750ml bottle containing the equivalent of eight cans of cola.
    In January 2010 a BBC investigation revealed that Buckfast had been mentioned in 5,638 crime reports in the Strathclyde
    area of Scotland from 2006–2009, equating to an average of three per day. One in 10 of those offences had been violent and
    114 times in that period a Buckfast bottle was used as a weapon. A survey at a Scottish young offenders’ institution showed
    of the 117 people who drank alcohol before committing their crimes, 43 percent said they had drunk Buckfast. In another
    study of litter around a typical council estate in Scotland, 35 percent of the items identified as rubbish were Buckfast bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

OP, there's a Irish craft beer expo on in the RDS this weekend. Attend. Taste the beers, & inform your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Anybody here had the Trouble Brewing range (Ale and Porter)?

Prefer the ale myself, gorgeous stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

Connoisseur countries for beer are Belgium and The Czech Republic. Try a Budvar or Pilsner Urquell. Budvar was the original Budweiser before the yanks nicked it and added crap to it. Available in bottles in most good offies. Or the Czech Inn in Temple Bar.

Pilsner comes from a place in the Czech Republic called Pilsen. All pils beer is based on their brewing method. It's a lighter, golden beer, softer on the palette than lager. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilsner

In Belgium they have what's called Trappist beer. Brewed by Trappist monks and only sold on one day per year from the door of the monastery. People queue in their cars to load up. Beautiful stuff if you can get your hands on it. Chimay, Rochefort and Westmalle are the most well known. You can find them in the Porterhouse chain. Can be quite strong though so go easy. Duvel is another beauty, a strong kick an high in alcohol content. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trappist_beer

If you live in Dublin, go to the porterhouse and ask to sample a few different ones. Hoegaarden is lovely on tap with a slice of lemon. Also Verboden Frucht (Forbidden Fruit) is delicious. There is also a place on Capel Street beside Subway which will let you sit there all day sampling different beers for free, and the barmen seem to now their stuff.

That should be enough to get you going, and don't discount Guinness. If you can acquire the taste it's worth it, plus it's usually the cheapest pint in any pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

Try some Whiskey OP, you'll love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

5am Saint,Punk IPA and Hardcore IPA are my favourite beers ever.Only problem is that most pubs over here don't sell them.

Innes and Gunn's rum cask finish beer is delicious too,but again isn't handily available over here,though Tesco do stock it from time to time.

When I'm in a normal pub in town I'd just get pints of Bavaria or Murray's.

They stock them in Deveneys, Rathmines. Hardcore IPA is my favourite beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Come on lads, the OP isn't here looking to develop a sophisticated palate or become a beer connoisseur. He just wants some reassurance that it's normal at his age to not be a fan of beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Arpa wrote: »
    In Belgium they have what's called Trappist beer. Brewed by Trappist monks and only sold on one day per year from the door of the monastery. People queue in their cars to load up. Beautiful stuff if you can get your hands on it. Chimay, Rochefort and Westmalle are the most well known. You can find them in the Porterhouse chain. Can be quite strong though so go easy. Duvel is another beauty, a strong kick an high in alcohol content. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trappist_beer

The Trappist Abbey of St Sixtus of Westvleteren is on my places I have to visit. Westvleteren 12 is a gem of an ale :)

Advertisement