Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The taste of beer :/

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

If people don't stop writing "larger" for "lager" I'll beer aging.

Oh, and my local sells 500ml bottles of Erdinger for €4... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I love beer. Makes me burp a lot though and not very feminine.
    When i go out drinking my mum always tells me to get a nice glass of beer so I look more ladylike.

I drink red wine instead. Nothing like a purple moustache and purple teeth when you're on the pull

mauzo wrote: »
    I drink red wine instead. Nothing like a purple moustache and purple teeth when you're on the pull

3 bottles and then asking a friend if ya got all the purple before heading out and they lick their finger and rub your lips, nothing classier. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭strokeslover

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    If you like cider you should try Kopperberg. I find that to be easier on the belly.

Bit rougher on the a*se though!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

A good pint of Heineken on a night out can't be beat.
    It really can be though. Heineken is just yellow fizz.

CianRyan wrote: »

That's because it's an English drink brewed in England.
    The Fosters we have in Ireland is brewed at Murphys' brewery in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

ak4 wrote: »
    Okay so im a 20 year old male who is a sociable drinker, my drink of choice is cider mainly Bulmers. The day after though my stomach does be in knots after pints of bulmers and I have been trying to find a beer that I would like the taste of. I have been told that Corona tastes good by friends who also aren't beer fans but it doesnt do it for me. Anyone have any recommendations ?

If you're into cider, Kopparberg is the one for you. Not a cider man myself but everyone I know that drinks cider are always looking for Kopparberg instead of Bulmers. As for beer if I had to pick it would be Corona, Heineken or even Bavaria if they have it on tap a lot of pubs don't but its not bad for a cheap beer. More often than not I'd have Smithwicks on a night out, less gassy than beer imo.

Stay clear of Budweiser, its piss!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Nicest beer I've ever tasted is Hansa Pilsner. Can't seem to get it in this country so my next choice is Corona Extra

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Sar_Bear wrote: »
    Devil's Bit Cider.

If that doesn't put hair on your chest nothing will.

Tbh I'm looking for the drink that takes the hair off me chest :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

ak4 wrote: »
    Okay so im a 20 year old male who is a sociable drinker, my drink of choice is cider mainly Bulmers. The day after though my stomach does be in knots after pints of bulmers and I have been trying to find a beer that I would like the taste of. I have been told that Corona tastes good by friends who also aren't beer fans but it doesnt do it for me. Anyone have any recommendations ?

Nearly everyone goes in a steady progression of drinks.

Bulmers->beer>ale>stout.

Shortly enough you'll progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

CianRyan wrote: »
    That's something I really want to try but I'm a bit afraid of mucking it up.
    Definitely on the list though. :)

my cousin has dabbled in it, brewing a lager, a red ale and a stout. the stout turned out the best. the lager is tricky depending on how much sugar you put in. his was kind of flat but still very tasty the stout was beautiful though. get one of them kits. they are cheap and you get about 20 litres out of them. we worked it out at about 70 cent a pint for your first time. and it gets cheaper after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

My fav at the moment is Old Speckled Hen, it's an ale.

Echo what the others say about Heineken, Carlsberg and Bud. I can't believe these beers are so popular. It's so disheartening to walk into a pub and see the usual Guinness-Hein-Bud-Carlsberg-Bulmers taps and nothing else bar the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Like most things, it will come down to personal preferences. For me, British ales, German wheat beers and almost everything Belgian is king. Unfortunately most of these would not be available in your average Irish pub, and those that stock them will charge over the top for them.

In Ireland I would stick mostly to Guinness as it's available in nearly all pubs and it's not bad when compared to the alternatives that the average Irish bar offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Gave up on acquiring a taste for beer recently after about 8 years.

Try wine OP. Juice of the gods (if you get a good bottle).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Eh, all you can do is experiment and try different flavours. It's all very much a matter of personal taste.

Be careful with ciders though they're very sugary. Think of it a bit like downing a few pints of coke on a night out. It doesn't do your pancreas or your teeth much good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I'm a big fan of Hoegaarden at the moment. Lovely white beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

head to a decent put with a good selection of beers, in Dublin L Mulligan Grocers, Bull and Castle, Against the Grain, Brew Dock, Bowes - they have most of the irish craft beers and good selections of great other beers likes Brewdog, Sierra Nevada, Duval etc. In some of these pubs you can get a sampling tray for say 5 quid and get 3 or 4 small glasses on them to see if they're to your taste.

this weekend in the RDS the best of Irish beer and a few overseas breweries will be on show
    http://www.irishcraftbeerfestival.com/

or check out www.beoir.org which gives a list of pubs all around the country selling craft beer from the growing number of small irish breweries.

porterhouse blue

Friend of mine called Tom Sharpe recommends that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

tolosenc wrote: »
    Gave up on acquiring a taste for beer recently after about 8 years.

Try wine OP. Juice of the gods (if you get a good bottle).
    jaysus, if you cant get a decent beer in a pub then they are hardly going to have an extensive wine list are they?

Anyhow, if you like the sweetness of cider then maybe your best mainstream tipple would be miller.

Its drinkable.
    Not necessarily enjoyable, but you wont scrunch up your face in a combination of disgust and anger when drinking it.

failing that, just buy the cheapest beer they have and if its really bad add a little lemonade to temper its ****éness.
    If theres one thing worse than drinking sh1te beer its paying over the top for sh1te beer !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

FatherLen wrote: »
    my cousin has dabbled in it, brewing a lager, a red ale and a stout. the stout turned out the best. the lager is tricky depending on how much sugar you put in. his was kind of flat but still very tasty the stout was beautiful though. get one of them kits. they are cheap and you get about 20 litres out of them. we worked it out at about 70 cent a pint for your first time. and it gets cheaper after that.

Lagers are more difficult to homebrew because of the precise lower temperatures required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Best draught beer in Ireland is Guinness. All the other mass-produced beer is very hit and miss but Guinness is consistently brilliant.

Once the OP goes black he won't go back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

I don't like beer either, at all. Occasionally drink cider, mostly spirits, and I've been drinking far too long to be at the yet to acquire a taste stage. However, I do find that Tequila beer is pretty acceptable to me - pretty much the only beer I can stomach and enjoy - so maybe give that a try. The most readily available ones are Desperados and Lidl's own brand version, both taste pretty much the same, are 6% and the Lidl one's about half the price.

whats the name of the Lidl one? i love Desperados, but dont love the price!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Best draught beer in Ireland is Guinness. All the other mass-produced beer is very hit and miss but Guinness is consistently brilliant.

Once the OP goes black he won't go back.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056741511

plenty of stout fans would rate the craft breweries stouts ahead of guinness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

No one is required to drink alcohol, so drink whatever you want, rather than being influenced by those around you.
    I don't like beer, so I don't drink it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

bamboozle wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056741511

plenty of stout fans would rate the craft breweries stouts ahead of guinness.

There are some very good stouts out there but as far the mass-produced stuff goes Guinness is the best. Probably should have said that earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

Have to add weight to the craft beer argument - hard to get but worth asking for. Lived in England for few years and have to say that in my opinion the Irish Breweries beers are nicer than what I've tasted over there, though there are some nice ones in UK also. Keep asking your local pubs for them they might just catch on to it. They are more expensive but you pay for the quality - why drink something horrible when you don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

5am Saint,Punk IPA and Hardcore IPA are my favourite beers ever.Only problem is that most pubs over here don't sell them.

Innes and Gunn's rum cask finish beer is delicious too,but again isn't handily available over here,though Tesco do stock it from time to time.

When I'm in a normal pub in town I'd just get pints of Bavaria or Murray's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

When I'm in a normal pub in town I'd just get pints of Bavaria or Murray's.

What's Murray's?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

speaking of craft beers.... anyone heading to the rds this weekend?
    i am going to try and get there on friday.

the irish craft beer festival is on in the rds this weekend and if you want to see what all the fuss about craft beers is, there is no better place.
    cant wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

They sell it on tap in The Czech Inn and up in The Long Stone for around €3,the posters and taps say ''Murrays Irish Home Grown Beer''.It's lovely too.

No idea who makes it though,will ask next time I'm in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

FatherLen wrote: »
    speaking of craft beers.... anyone heading to the rds this weekend?
    i am going to try and get there on friday.

the irish craft beer festival is on in the rds this weekend and if you want to see what all the fuss about craft beers is, there is no better place.
    cant wait!

I went to that a couple of years ago, to be honest, I wasn't overly impressed with the quality of the beers there. One memorable ale tasted like a flat can of beer that had been used as an ashtray the night before - I sh1t you not!

Advertisement