Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Milkrounds/Apps 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bouchez

No I didn't get my app in on time.

I thought we'd have heard from more of the firms by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tm48

Hey, I also have an interview with Arthur Cox this week, have not heard anything from anyone else as of yet! Let the fu begin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

tm48 wrote: »
    Hey, I also have an interview with Arthur Cox this week, have not heard anything from anyone else as of yet! Let the fu begin!!

Best of luck with it:-) Mine is on Saturday. When is yours?

colonel1 wrote: »
    Best of luck with it:-) Mine is on Saturday. When is yours?

I am also on Saturday morning! Perhaps we'll even be the same group!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Law8890

:-) 1 last question- did you apply for 2013 or 2014?

I applied for 2013 Colonel

• Advertisement

tm48 wrote: »

I am also on Saturday morning! Perhaps we'll even be the same group!

I am on at 2.30. Hope you aren't on too early in the morning;-)

Law8890 wrote: »

I applied for 2013 Colonel

Damn... that's a pfo for sure! Thanks for replying though:-) Hope your interview went well:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 happyuser123

Hey for those doing the AC interview, were you told you would receive an sms confirmation before the interview? Apparently some people were told this but they didn't mention it to me when I rang to confim my date...

Also, in response to the question above AC are the only firm I have heard anything from so far

-Here's to a gut-wrenching next few weeks!

I am on at 2.30. Hope you aren't on too early in the morning;-)

I'm on at 12, best of luck with it. Let's hope we make it through :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

fyi: i'm pretty sure i got an sms confirmation for cox interview. got an email from a&l today. missed a call from dillon eustace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 ClearlyClear

What did email from a&l say ?

Also got called for DE Interview...nothing from A&L...

invitation to interview

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hecticlife

Got interview email from William Fry but nothing from AL Goodbody as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LoA

Hi I got interviews with Arthur Cox, William Fry and Dillon Eustace this week. My Arthur Cox interview is on a Saturday so that's ok but the others are mid-week and I am working in a law firm abroad so I was just wondering if any of the firms accommodate Skype interviews? Thanks :) And the best of luck everybody!

i know william fry did for their summer internships so you should definitely mention your situation and see what they say. for firms with second round interviews they might agree considering they can potentially meet you face to face in the second round

• Registered Users Posts: 10 OwneM

Hi guys,

I wonder could some of you give me some advice?
    I have a 2:1 degree in civil law, 6 FE1s, am currently studying a commercial law LLM, and have over two years experience in a local law firm.

However I seem to still be having trouble getting to an interview stage with one of the larger firms.
    How crucial is to get an internship before applying?

Thanks for your help and best of luck to you all.

I heard that once you get an internship in one of them they all have this idea that "if you're good enough for them you're good enough for us". For mhc an internship is the only way to get a traineeship. I'd advise a frys internship. Late application date (meaning less applicants as organised college ppl r mid exams r have already made summer plans) easy process. friendly interview. i also heard that if u keep getting interviews and not getting offers ur problem is with the interview but if you keep applying n not getting interviews the problem is with your applications so although you have the facts to make you a great candidate maybe you need to look at the way you're putting those facts across and get some help in that area if you can.

all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

OwneM wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I wonder could some of you give me some advice?
    I have a 2:1 degree in civil law, 6 FE1s, am currently studying a commercial law LLM, and have over two years experience in a local law firm.

However I seem to still be having trouble getting to an interview stage with one of the larger firms.
    How crucial is to get an internship before applying?

Thanks for your help and best of luck to you all.

I'm the same - I have a legal secretary qualification, 2.1 law degree, 2.1 Commercial masters, coming up to three years office experience in a commercial capacity, waiting on the results of my fe's and still only 23 years of age. I always thought that I had done a lot at my age and I can't get the interviews. So I agree with Ownleme that it could be how we answer the questions. I have been offered two traineeships in Cork on my CV but the fees won't be paid so really having to bank of the bigger firms. So looking at the questions and the non - academic side of things is where I lose out. I had always worked jobs in college and two jobs in the summer and working a lot during the fe's that for example in one question is was talk about your travels etc I don’t have as much to say.

Of course a summer internship would help, after all stats show that mostpeople who do a internship are taking on in the firm as they know how you work and your strengths and how you fit it.

maybe either think of any travel at all that you've done however small. even stuff in ireland. if not explain why you haven't. summer internship in frys is paid so you could do that as one of ur summer jobs next year. as an intern u always finish at 5.30 so could definitely manage at least a weekend job at the same time although i know that this would probably have to be in dublin and an internship requires paying rent in dublin whereas working near home you can live rent free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

Ownleme wrote: »
    maybe either think of any travel at all that you've done however small. even stuff in ireland. if not explain why you haven't. summer internship in frys is paid so you could do that as one of ur summer jobs next year. as an intern u always finish at 5.30 so could definitely manage at least a weekend job at the same time although i know that this would probably have to be in dublin and an internship requires paying rent in dublin whereas working near home you can live rent free.

Thanks for the advice, I would say you are right. I have a great permanet job as a legal secretary at the moment with a firm who are very flexible when it comes to time off for the fe's, athough their too small to afford a trainee. And Im in Cork so I would not do an internship now as I'd be leaving a great job and since I have been finished my masters 18months ago, I have been lucky to remotely work in the legal field. but if I had my time again, I would have loved to have done one.

Hope everyone's interviews today went great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 OwneM

Ownleme wrote: »
    I heard that once you get an internship in one of them they all have this idea that "if you're good enough for them you're good enough for us". For mhc an internship is the only way to get a traineeship. I'd advise a frys internship. Late application date (meaning less applicants as organised college ppl r mid exams r have already made summer plans) easy process. friendly interview. i also heard that if u keep getting interviews and not getting offers ur problem is with the interview but if you keep applying n not getting interviews the problem is with your applications so although you have the facts to make you a great candidate maybe you need to look at the way you're putting those facts across and get some help in that area if you can.

all the best

Thanks for your advice Ownleme,
    Regarding travel I have went on a J1/working abroad the last number of summers. Also I am quite involved in music as a non academic activity.
    So I really have to agree it must be my delivery in the application form, I am going to have to look into this!
    Also are the firms willing to provide feedback at such an early stage? And is there an age cap on internships?

I hope interviews went well for all!

highly doubt there's an age cap. yeah i think you should get someone to look at your application forms before you send them in the next time. spell check doesnt capture all! and i think they've so many applications they're looking for typos so they can discard some applications

Hi OP, very few firms provide feedback at the application stage to be honest.

Having some experience of working in a law firm is a big plus.

There isn't an age cap, though the majority of applicants would be in their twenties.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Wannabe Solicitor

Hey guys,

Got a letter from A&L inviting me to interview, anyone know if they still have only one round of interviews? And what it is like?
    Also I noticed on their website that they have an in-house presentation on Wednesday, anybody going to this or know what its like? Do you need to register? I heard that they had something like this a few weeks ago but I wasn't able to go because it was round the same time as FE1s, but is it going to be something different?

Best of luck to anybody doing interviews this week!

Just wondering as well if anybody that did the first round of interviews with LK Shields has heard anything back yet?

Hey Wannabe,

Well done on getting an interview with A&L and good luck with it. The only group interview I have done is with Arthur Cox, and that was quite enjoyable. I didn't apply to A&L.

Just wondering as well if anybody that did the first round of interviews with LK Shields has heard anything back yet?[/QUOTE]

I am still waiting for a pfo from LK Shields alas. Well done on getting an interview with them. Did they say on the day when they would get back to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

Just wondering as well if anybody that did the first round of interviews with LK Shields has heard anything back yet?

Had an interview with them last week and they said that they were interviewing all this week so we would probably hear by the end of this week or start of net week!

Have interviews with Fry and Dillon Eustace coming up, anybody have any hints?

from their brochure seems to be only one interview. did u get the email inviting u to the presentation? I'm gonna go. need to find out more about this 1page document they mentioned in the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 paperbird

Has anyone heard from AC about a second interview?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

Hi all- I have an interview with Dillon Eustace just wondering if anyone has any stats or tips. Is it group or one on one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement