Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Milkrounds/Apps 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

Has anyone any experience in applying for Philip Lee? They require a 1,000 word submission on one of three topics, along with cv and cover letter. (The positions are for paid work experience, which may lead to a traineeship.)

I never have applied to them before, but have been looking at the three topics, and not really liking any of them:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭UberStressed

colonel1 wrote: »
    I never have applied to them before, but have been looking at the three topics, and not really liking any of them:eek:

I'm going to give the Climate Bill one a whack as I've studied Climate law.. as for the other two, I wouldn't be as keen on either of them.. finding the time to do it is the next problem. I assume it needs to be referenced etc? like an essay?

I'm going to give the Climate Bill one a whack as I've studied Climate law.. as for the other two, I wouldn't be as keen on either of them.. finding the time to do it is the next problem. I assume it needs to be referenced etc? like an essay?

Best of luck with it UberStressed. I would assume that it should be referenced, but no harm in checking with them 1st, especially as the word count is small enough. I haven't done environmental law, or data protection...

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

Byrne Wallace have finally got round to calling people for interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 johnjoesim

Has anyone heard from Philip Lee yet re. the summer internship?

• Advertisement

johnjoesim wrote: »
    Has anyone heard from Philip Lee yet re. the summer internship?

Nope, still haven't heard anything yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭salmon1

Hey sorry if this has been asked already but cant see it

In relation to the summer interships in the big firms can anyone tell me if they are paid??Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

William Fry last year was 350 a week anyway. Presume the others are the same if not better. Presume your question means you have one so congrats on that!

Anyone else got an interview next Friday with the law firm who wish to remain anonymous? Advertised on the law society site a couple of weeks ago. Any clues as to who they may be?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

Anyone else got an interview next Friday with the law firm who wish to remain anonymous? Advertised on the law society site a couple of weeks ago. Any clues as to who they may be?

I have that interview but I have no idea who it could be since they still would not say who they were!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Ha, got the link to the ad?

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Ha, got the link to the ad?

Nope I think the ad is gone from the law soc website

• Registered Users Posts: 7 djgeo

I got called about this interview as well .I was not able to attend though. Does anyone know who this anonymous firm was.

djgeo wrote: »
    I got called about this interview as well .I was not able to attend though. Does anyone know who this anonymous firm was.

The firm was Peter Boyle & Co.. Never heard back after the interview, a PFO would have been nice rather than nothing...

Anybody else have a second round interview with GJ Moloney's?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 C2012

Anyone hear from Philip Lee? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Duckingabout

Just starting an internship in one of the top 5 tomorrow. Anyone with previous experience want to shed some light as to what to expect etc? Good luck to all starting tomorrow also

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Just starting an internship in one of the top 5 tomorrow. Anyone with previous experience want to shed some light as to what to expect etc? Good luck to all starting tomorrow also

I'd be interested in this also. Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

I spent nearly a year on internship with a top 5 firm last year and this is what I picked up. Firstly, they don't expect you to have any technical knowledge of the law so don't worry about that.

Listen very carefully when being given instructions, my very first task was to do some research on Bank of Scotland but after about 30 minutes of research I realised there was also a Royal Bank of Scotland and couldn't remember which one I was supposed to do the research on. In such a situation, go straight back in and ask again. They would much prefer you do this than sit outside stressing and doing nothing. Having a pen and paper with you at all times when dealing with solicitors/partners will also help.

Attention to detail is also key. Try to be as thorough as possible in everything you do. This will mean working very slowly at first but you will get quicker. Accuracy is essential, cannot be stressed enough.

Finally, although the partners are willing to help you out with everything, you must also be cute about things. It will reflect better on you if they give you a task and you can come back to them with it done and without any questions. It is unlikely you will be able to do anything fully on your own so the trainees, newly qualified solicitors and secretaries become invaluable to you. Ask these people all the questions you have and give the final product to the partner.

I could write way more but that's a good starting point. Enjoy the experience and good luck.

Is there a thread for Blackhall 2013 anybody know who may be going to PPC this year?

• Advertisement

Anybody heard anything for Philip Lee? I would expect at this stage they have dealt with the summer placements but what about internships from Sept? Do they send out PFOs or just not bother if you are not called for interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 crosshair12

Has anyone heard back from O'Connell Brennan yet, I think May 31st was their closing date.

Has anyone heard back from O'Connell Brennan yet, I think May 31st was their closing date.

May 31st was the closing date for them alright. When you applied did you receive an acknowledgement email? I haven't heard a thing as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 crosshair12

colonel1 wrote: »
    May 31st was the closing date for them alright. When you applied did you receive an acknowledgement email? I haven't heard a thing as of yet.

Don't think I got any acknowledgment from them, reckon I can uncross my fingers in terms of hearing back from them at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cuunna_90

Anybody heard anything for Philip Lee? I would expect at this stage they have dealt with the summer placements but what about internships from Sept? Do they send out PFOs or just not bother if you are not called for interview?

Nope, applied for the Sept Internship but haven heard a thing. they surely send out pfo's??

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

Can anyone tell me what the role of a paralegal invokes? How does it differ from being an intern?

Can anyone tell me what the role of a paralegal invokes? How does it differ from being an intern?

Your more involved in the caseload. I work as one while I was passing the FE's. Your usually assigned to one or two solicitors, depending on the workload. You do the normal secretary stuff like dictation, answering phones, filing, photocopying and post. But you learn more. You learn how to write legal letters, you deal with the clients. I go along and meet with the clients, I can take meetings alone if the solicitor in unavailable. I learnt how to draft legal documents like affidavits, do the legal research, how to prepare of the documents for trial, discovery etc. Generally as an intern, your there for 2-3 months. Not long enough to get involved in much. As a paralegal, its a more permanent type situation (not to mention much better paid).

I would recommend trying to get into something like this while looking for a traineeship. Whereas intern your mostly photocopying and filing.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

Well as someone who currently an intern, I am doing a lot more than photocopying and filing. Usually you would be conducting research, attending on clients on certain matters, drafting letters and also doing things a solicitor would be doing such as drafting narratives. Interning is nearly the exact same as being a paralegal but your contract as a paralegal is usually a lot longer.

I have worked as both and I wouldn't say their exactly the same. I worked as legal intern during my degree, legal secretary in my masters and paralegal during my Fe's until now as a trainee. And each position is different and carries with it different responsibilities and experiences.

To get the best out of an internship, go for a bigger firm. The bigger firms do have a more set schedule. Having x amount of trainees in every year, you no doubt have something to do every day and they depend on the interns in every summer to do work that they know that is there and you would have some independence in figuring out the task given. I would recommend internships if your in your degree or have the gap between sittings of the FE1's.

A paralegal/legal executive is something in itself. They are courses I think to train as a paralegal and exams to set. Nowadays with a law degree and/or masters, you can get those jobs. But a firm can bill for the time of a paralegal who can meet with the clients on their own, same as with a legal executive and can have their own course load with minimum supervision from a solicitor. A paralegal is more heavy on the research side of things and drafting of the legal proceedings, contracts, leases, wills etc. I would say if you were finished the FE's or wanted to work full time while doing them, apply for paralegal jobs. Internships are usually a few weeks to three months at best. But paralegal will take you through the FE's until the summer where then your start your traineeship, working off those three months before you start PPC in Sept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭makemecrazy

I know for a fact there are a few people working in Big 6 law firms for the summer as a paralegal. What confused me is where do you find out about these jobs? Is it simply a case of a person applying for a summer internship and not getting it so they are offered a summer paralegal position by the firm? Or are there summer only paralegal slots available too? I was under the impression a paralegal was a longer contract usually someone who is studying for FE1s

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement