Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,896 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No, that was just me musing hypothetically how the conversation will go, I haven't made the call yet.
    FFS you need to go back and change that then as its reading like a blow by blow account of an actual call you made.

What a nasty silly thing to do.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Same here - they allowed me break my contract without penalty after 4 months when I argued with them over the box sets/HD issue. Now I have Saorview and, thanks to them leaving me the dish, FTA Satellite - and no monthly bill

We bought Netflix as a compromise for the kids & at least they can't take my boxsets from me again.
    So 8 quid a month for all the product you'd ever need at any time.

muffler wrote: »
    FFS you need to go back and change that then as its reading like a blow by blow account of an actual call you made.

What a nasty silly thing to do.

Edited for those who didn't initially get I was talking about a conversation which I was looking forward to in the future.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

So if I remember my junior cert business studies correctly, if someone gets this letter from Sky stating the fee is going up, they're entitled to cancel without penalty as Sky are changing the terms of the original contract?

Soarer wrote: »
    So if I remember my junior cert business studies correctly, if someone gets this letter from Sky stating the fee is going up, they're entitled to cancel without penalty as Sky are changing the terms of the original contract?
    No. The terms of the original contract clearly state that they can increase the monthly payments if they so wish....Im open to correction on this part but I believe the increase can be as high as 10%.

In saying that I dont agree with the increase and I'll probably pull the pin myself in the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

My Alien 2 Combo box arrived today . . . Yipee
    I just need to demonstrate to the missus it has he same functionality as a Sky Box then I get to make the call.

Do you not need an external hard drive for recording and can you do series link with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

No. The terms of the original contract clearly state that they can increase the monthly payments if they so wish....Im open to correction on this part but I believe the increase can be as high as 10%.

In saying that I dont agree with the increase and I'll probably pull the pin myself in the new year.

My understanding was that Sky could increase the price in the first year only. After that you could and can opt out without penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

when you cancell it is 30 days right? cause dont want to instantly cancel it or there will be family divorce over xmas!!!!

My understanding was that Sky could increase the price in the first year only. After that you could and can opt out without penalty.
    Agree 100%. I assumed Soarer was referring to the first year as most people are aware that once that year is up you are no longer under contract other than the usual 30 days notice of cancelling that has to be given.

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.
    Actually they can increase it in the first year unless Im loosing my memory completely

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thanks for all the responses lads.

@muffler. Up to 10% would only give €1.50 per month on the CPW offer. So the fact they're going €2+ is in breach?

@muffler. Up to 10% would only give €1.50 per month on the CPW offer. So the fact they're going €2+ is in breach?
    I did say that I was open to correction and I also pointed out that "the increase can be as high as 10%", I didnt say that they were putting it up by any specific amount.

But look, they have a talk to forum so maybe fire the question up there and get the answer straight from the horses mouth :)

emeldc wrote: »
    Do you not need an external hard drive for recording and can you do series link with it.

Yes to both, but my recordings are not encrypted plus I can copy my own downloads to the HD & play them whatever format.

Yes to both, but my recordings are not encrypted plus I can copy my own downloads to the HD & play them whatever format.

You lost me after 'yes to both'. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You lost me after 'yes to both'. :confused:

What he means is that the recordings from the Amiko are not encrypted like they would be by using a Sky+ box. Therefore he can play the recordings and also anything else he has saved on the external hdd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

Same here - they allowed me break my contract without penalty after 4 months when I argued with them over the box sets/HD issue. Now I have Saorview and, thanks to them leaving me the dish, FTA Satellite - and no monthly bill

What channels do you get with the Sky box without the subscription?

And do they appear automatically or do I need to do some installing etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

bailey99 wrote: »

And do they appear automatically or do I need to do some installing etc?

I'm unable to post links as I'm a new user but if you go over to the Satellite section within Boards on the top of the page there is an extensive list of the Free to Air channels

I'm unable to post links as I'm a new user but if you go over to the Satellite section within Boards on the top of the page there is an extensive list of the Free to Air channels

can you pm me please?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'm on the same deal, and called them up about it to clarify, what we are paying for is the HD pack and variety pack but we are getting a discount of the variety pack price, currently €36

In February, the variety pack will cost €38 but or discount will also rise to €38 as that is the new price of variety pack.

In short, no increase in February, but after 12 months the HD and variety pack will cost €53 per month whereas without this increase it would have been €51 per month

Does this make sense to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I was on half price for six months, variety, sports and movies out of contract. I rang yesterday to cancel with 30 days notice. I went through the usual rigmarole with the asgent. Told him I couldn't afford it and I have saorview, freesat, Netflix and could get now TV. The agent first claimed to not know of now TV, the he said he'd Google it. He claimed I couldn't get it in Ireland. I told him he was talking sh1te.
    Anyway he then said I can't get half price again and the best he could offer was €15 off for 3 months so I told him to put through the cancellation. He puts me on hold for five minutes and comes back to ask me am I sure and I won't get any other offers. I told him to go ahead and so he says I'll put you through to accounts to Gert your last bill. After a few more minutes on hold I'm put through to someone else who straight away gave me another 6 months at half price and HD at half price also with no contract.
    It's all about playing hardball

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

I rang up the other day quoting the additional €2 per month from February and asked to cancel. Got asked would I accept any discount and I stated 'possibly one with no minimum contract'. Almost straight away he offered me €10 off the existing price for 9 months (effective 00.01 25/12/2014) and told me to ring back in August and see what offers they have then (I had heard another customer get half price sports for three months in the background while he was talking to me on the phone.

I am aware I possibly could have got a better price for my subscription but €6.50 a week for me is ok for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Soups123

Just called them to cancel there and detailed what UPC were offering, they offered;
    • Free upgrade to 100MB broadband for 6 months
    • Free installation and free extension cable for the box worth €50
    • Free upgrade to HD so I could avail of the boxsets (1000+ now on the hub)
    • Increased my sky go to 4 devices and waived the €6 fee
    • 25% of TV subscription for 12 months
    Quite happy with that for the 20 minutes on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

I rang them on NYE to "cancel" my Dad's Variety+Sports subscription due to the cost being too much for a pensioner, sob story blah blah.

I got put through to an English woman who said she didn't usually deal with Irish orders and the best offer she could give was €10 off sports for 8 months. Told her the cost would still be too high and to go ahead and cancel it. She was transferring me to the cancellations dept when she seemed to cut me off instead. 30 minutes on the phone and nothing at all achieved so I'm gonna ring them today again to see if anything else can be done apart from a half hour of frustration.:rolleyes:

When I took the card out of his box to show him what stations he would still have without Sky, no channels were available.:confused: I though that the normal RTE, BBC etc would still remain?

I rang them on NYE to "cancel" my Dad's Variety+Sports subscription due to the cost being too much for a pensioner, sob story blah blah.

I got put through to an English woman who said she didn't usually deal with Irish orders and the best offer she could give was €10 off sports for 8 months. Told her the cost would still be too high and to go ahead and cancel it. She was transferring me to the cancellations dept when she seemed to cut me off instead. 30 minutes on the phone and nothing at all achieved so I'm gonna ring them today again to see if anything else can be done apart from a half hour of frustration.:rolleyes:

When I took the card out of his box to show him what stations he would still have without Sky, no channels were available.:confused: I though that the normal RTE, BBC etc would still remain?

You wont get the RTE's. They're FTA but only with a saorview TV or box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

You wont get the RTE's. They're FTA but only with a saorview TV or box.
    Just seeing the above link now.

Would there be much messing around to simply switch between Saorview channels and the FTA channels on Sky or would it be like switching between Sky channels and 'Other Channels' at the moment?
    By 'messing around', I mean where theres a lot of button pressing just to switch between BBC and RTE for example? (He's not great at the oul figuring out the simplest of stuff on a TV remote!)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Walter White

Just wondering does anybody know if the Carphone Warehouse half price offer is still available? Just got an email from UPC saying bill is going up, so would love to cancel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Just seeing the above link now.

Would there be much messing around to simply switch between Saorview channels and the FTA channels on Sky or would it be like switching between Sky channels and 'Other Channels' at the moment?
    By 'messing around', I mean where theres a lot of button pressing just to switch between BBC and RTE for example? (He's not great at the oul figuring out the simplest of stuff on a TV remote!)

the "messing around" isn't really with button pressing, more with remote swapping.
    eg sky remote + saorview remote + tv remote(to change inputs).

the easyist solution is to replace the skybox with a combi freesat/saorview box.

Advertisement