Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,929 ✭✭✭✭muffler

donegal. wrote: »
    the "messing around" isn't really with button pressing, more with remote swapping.
    eg sky remote + saorview remote + tv remote(to change inputs).

the easyist solution is to replace the skybox with a combi freesat/saorview box.
    Not necessarily. I use the Sky remote for all and that includes Sky, Saorview and Freeview

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

Are sky cancelations open weekends or do I have to wait til Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Are sky cancelations open weekends or do I have to wait til Monday?

Open 7 days a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

muffler wrote: »
    Not necessarily. I use the Sky remote for all and that includes Sky, Saorview and Freeview

ah, but you live right on the border (i presume with a name like muffler) and can get both saorview and freeview on your tv with no seperate box ?

and without freeview, theres quite a sequence of buttons the flick from rte1 to bbc1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭batistuta9

ah, but you live right on the border (i presume with a name like muffler) and can get both saorview and freeview on your tv with no seperate box ?

and without freeview, theres quite a sequence of buttons the flick from rte1 to bbc1

he means he's using the one remote (sky) to change channels.

you can pair your sky remote to the TV.
    search for the make of the tv & sky remote code

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    he means he's using the one remote (sky) to change channels.

you can pair your sky remote to the TV.
    search for the make of the tv & sky remote code

yes, i know. But the question asked was about how much messing about pressing buttons there is to change from fta sat stations to saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭batistuta9

yes, i know. But the question asked was about how much messing about pressing buttons there is to change from fta sat stations to saorview.

you said it was about remote swapping. there's no need to change remote

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

Has anyone gotten the 50% off deal recently? I currently have the variety extra package with HD and I've given my thirty days notice to cancel

Holding out for the 50% off for nine months but currently only getting offered 15/20% off

batistuta9 wrote: »
    you said it was about remote swapping. there's no need to change remote
    Yes, spot on. The Sky remote does all.

• Advertisement

So as not to muddy the waters I'll forget about the freeview for now and just concentrate on the saorview and Sky. Once you have the Sky remote paired to the tv you press the tv button and then the help button and this brings up a list of the various inputs or sources. Assuming you're changing from Sky to saorview you press the help button repeatedly until you highlight "tv" or "antenna" as the source. Wait a couple of seconds and the tv will then change automatically to the saorview. Simply enter the saorview channel number you require or scroll up and down through the channels using "channel + / - " scroll button.

To change back to Sky press the help button again and repeat until you find the Sky input which is usually HDMI 1. Again wait a couple of seconds and the tv will then pick up the Sky channels. Just remember to press the Sky button at the top of the remote before using again.

So no rocket science involved, no messing, no multiple remotes involved and no complicated or excess pressing of remote required.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

lowbatt07 wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten the 50% off deal recently? I currently have the variety extra package with HD and I've given my thirty days notice to cancel

Holding out for the 50% off for nine months but currently only getting offered 15/20% off

Got offered free internet for 9 months (€10) and 10% off my tv. About €4 is all.

Handed in my 30 days. Hoping they'll come back with 25%-50% off for even 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

So as not to muddy the waters I'll forget about the freeview for now and just concentrate on the saorview and Sky. Once you have the Sky remote paired to the tv you press the tv button and then the help button and this brings up a list of the various inputs or sources. Assuming you're changing from Sky to saorview you press the help button repeatedly until you highlight "tv" or "antenna" as the source. Wait a couple of seconds and the tv will then change automatically to the saorview. Simply enter the saorview channel number you require or scroll up and down through the channels using "channel + / - " scroll button.

To change back to Sky press the help button again and repeat until you find the Sky input which is usually HDMI 1. Again wait a couple of seconds and the tv will then pick up the Sky channels. Just remember to press the Sky button at the top of the remote before using again.

So no rocket science involved, no messing, no multiple remotes involved and no complicated or excess pressing of remote required.

I do that for years but nobody else in the house can get their head around that especially the females in the house. ðŸ˜႒

I do that for years but nobody else in the house can get their head around that especially the females in the house. ðŸ˜႒
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

:D:D

I was over at a neighbour a while ago, as he lost the reception on his saorview, (scart cable came loose at back, i found out)

Afaik, what he does to change btwn saorview & satellite, is that he presses the off button on $ky, (cough!) i mean sky remote & automatically changes to the saorview on his telly & vice versa.

Although he uses both remotes & that's the way he's used to, as i told him the other way as well by using the help button, but he said to that's too much info :D:P

He's got one of the old sky boxes with the autoview function, i set it up for him as its handy especially for watching last year's Ice Road Truckers on Fri on Ch5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Hi, I am moving to a new apartment in two weeks that doesn't allow a UPC connection, so I am going to have to cancel and move to sky broadband and tv. Could anyone suggest the best approach to moving to sky for the best deal possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

I popped into Carphone Warehouse today. They do not have any good Sky sign up offers. A few quid off the premium channels but nothing off the variety pack. The 50% off offer is no longer.

Is there anywhere else that a new subscriber to Sky can get a decent discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Kevtherev

JTMan wrote: »
    I popped into Carphone Warehouse today. They do not have any good Sky sign up offers. A few quid off the premium channels but nothing off the variety pack. The 50% off offer is no longer.

I was signing up online today and when I selected the original pack the price dropped to €18 per month and when selecting variety it dropped to €26 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭bromley52

Kevtherev wrote: »
    I was signing up online today and when I selected the original pack the price dropped to €18 per month and when selecting variety it dropped to €26 a month.

No deal here I'm afraid. When you sign up you are paying €10 up front so they are only taking that off your 1st payment when its due. Your subsequent monthly payments will be at the full rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Any advice please.... Have sky sports, sky plus. Think partner is paying around 70 for it. We did the cancellation trick In the past to get it half price. Haven't done so in about a year and a half

I'm now looking for broadband (mobile internet at moment) thinking sky is the best bet but wondering if I have any bargaining power to get it reduced or sky package reduced?

Don't want to get tied into s contract longer than 12 months. Any advice ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Sky are offering 6 months "free" broadband to new customers. In reality, 30 EUR per month for 6 months and then 40 EUR per month thereafter.

http://www.sky.com/ireland/offers/6MFBBU/?DCMP=KNC-ROISearch&stop_mobi=yes

Is Sky Atlantic available on certain packages or all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭bromley52

JTMan wrote: »

You could always try fatcheese.ie. They might pay out eventually.
    See how much cashback you can earn at Sky Ireland

€120.00 Cashback when you join Sky with the TriplePlay TV, Unlimited Broadband and Talk package as a new customer
    €120.00 Cashback when you join Sky with the TriplePlay TV, Lite Broadband and Talk package as a new customer
    €45.00 Cashback when you join Sky with Standalone Broadband Unlimited plus Talk as a new customer
    €45.00 Cashback when you join Sky with Standalone Broadband Lite plus Talk as a new customer
    €60.00 Cashback when you join Sky TV as a new Sky customer
    €10.00 Cashback for an upgrade to Broadband Unlimited plus Talk
    €5.00 Cashback for an upgrade to Broadband Lite plus Talk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Had an issue with my box over the weekend, no signal on either input, box then just went "initializing" and stayed there for good. Tried connections and leaving it, no good. Rang sky, did various troubleshooting including updates and factory reset, no good. Support said an engineer would need to call out, would fix all needs fixing, replace box if needed with a new one. Usually costs 100, only going to cost me 60 as a long time customer.
    Told them no, just cancel it. I'm sure upc will give me a new box.
    Offer me half price HD as well.
    No thanks, cancel it.
    They transfer me to cancellations, I am offered it for 25 and no extension of contract.
    No thanks, cancel it.
    He goes away again and comes back with will cost me 25, but will get 25 credit onto my account and I am free to cancel whenever I want still.
    Went with that, still leaving myself open to cancel though, which i may do at end of month(try the hardball tactics like you guys!).

• Registered Users Posts: 29 eoinkennedy

bromley52 wrote: »
    You could always try fatcheese.ie. They might pay out eventually.

I'm waiting nearly 3 years for a pay out from fatcheese, so personally I would avoid like the winter vomiting bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,173 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm waiting nearly 3 years for a pay out from fatcheese, so personally I would avoid like the winter vomiting bug.

Once its gone 6 months, you're never getting it.

It works about 80% of the time and is usually rather delayed, but there's plenty of people on here who've got hundreds off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

Gave notice in December of getting rid of Sky Sports after Xmas, lost the channels yesterday and today got a phonecall offering me them back at 50% discount for 12 months with no contract

phill106 wrote: »
    Had an issue with my box over the weekend, no signal on either input, box then just went "initializing" and stayed there for good. Tried connections and leaving it, no good. Rang sky, did various troubleshooting including updates and factory reset, no good. Support said an engineer would need to call out, would fix all needs fixing, replace box if needed with a new one. Usually costs 100, only going to cost me 60 as a long time customer.
    Told them no, just cancel it. I'm sure upc will give me a new box.
    Offer me half price HD as well.
    No thanks, cancel it.
    They transfer me to cancellations, I am offered it for 25 and no extension of contract.
    No thanks, cancel it.
    He goes away again and comes back with will cost me 25, but will get 25 credit onto my account and I am free to cancel whenever I want still.
    Went with that, still leaving myself open to cancel though, which i may do at end of month(try the hardball tactics like you guys!).

I had the same problem, still said 'Initialising' had a look at cables at back, that was the cause, as it must have been something else that pushed against it?
    Gave notice in December of getting rid of Sky Sports after Xmas, lost the channels yesterday and today got a phonecall offering me them back at 50% discount for 12 months with no contract

Hoping for the same thing, in the next few days when i cancel or maybe someone will make my 'dream' a reality ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I was going to ring up this week to cancel the sports but then realised that my 12 months since joining are up next month so would I be better off holding off and threatening to cancel the full subscription then, rather than cancelling the sports now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Got the reminder on the phone that tomorrow is 30 days before contract up so calling today and... probably cancelling.

Time to start the clock ticking...:o

Advertisement