Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭gotthebug

Was cut off today so went on live chat to see what I could get got the variety package half price for 10months so €19.80 a month. They were offering all packages half price including hd and said I could add any of the other packages half price within the the next nine months if I want. Only took 10mins they just had to ring to confirm details over the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

gotthebug wrote: »
    Was cut off today so went on live chat to see what I could get got the variety package half price for 10months so €19.80 a month. They were offering all packages half price including hd and said I could add any of the other packages half price within the the next nine months if I want. Only took 10mins they just had to ring to confirm details over the phone

Got cut off myself this evening. Have a London sky card so going to live on free TV for a while and see how we get on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

gotthebug wrote: »

I assume that's on a new 12 month contract?

I assume that's on a new 12 month contract?

Yea new 12 month contract no cooling off period

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭Sono

They don't seem to want new business very much, they offered me the variety package for €46.50 including HD channels, there was no bargaining with your man at all, thought he would have had an ace card up his sleeve to play but he didn't and didn't seem too bothered that I wasn't impressed with the offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Sono wrote: »
    They don't seem to want new business very much, they offered me the variety package for €46.50 including HD channels, there was no bargaining with your man at all, thought he would have had an ace card up his sleeve to play but he didn't and didn't seem too bothered that I wasn't impressed with the offer.

It really depends on who you get. I rang up in the past and got through to some girl who just said 'yeah ok' when I said I wanted to cancel sports and movies. Rang another time about broadband only but ended up getting half price everything for 10 months. It's the luck of the draw.

Another time I rang to cancel HD after it went to full price, got told no offers on HD available. I said I was spoke to eir about switching the entire package and got HD for a €5 when the agent said they'd speak to their manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭Sono

They seem to be more focused on customer retention rather than new business, a bit strange.

The offer I got yesterday is for any1 who cancelled in the last 12 months it's any package half price for 9 months on a new 12 month contract just go on the live chat on the web site and when they ask what they can help you with just say what every package you want half price for 9months and it's done they just ask when u were disconnected and that was it didn't try to force any extras just said that they would need to ring me to confirm payment details it was don't in less then 10 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Sono wrote: »
    They seem to be more focused on customer retention rather than new business, a bit strange.

Not really that strange, retention is a key metric for shareholders and directors. Having a high churn rate is how managing directors lose their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

cw67irl wrote: »
    Anyone had any cancellation deals lately?
    Nope, disgusted with them to be honest, with them 18 years and all I got was "we'll go ahead and cancel now for you" :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Nope, disgusted with them to be honest, with them 18 years and all I got was "we'll go ahead and cancel now for you" :mad:
    There are always deals for returning customers...even offers that wont tie you to a contract. If you have cancelled and have been cut off then now would be a good time to call them and ask what they can offer you to return. Alternatively you could post in their talk to forum just like this guy here who was straight and to the point and they will even call you back and work something out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

Sky is off a few days, phoned them to see what they could offer if we came back.

Variety pack with HD and box sets for 27 a month for 9 months + 50 credit on the account.

12 month contract

Happy with that so I took it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Due to be cut off in 2 days. I also had that half price for 6mths on a 12mth contract offer on the sky service app, but it disappeared about a week or more ago, I wouldn't have accepted it anyway.

We are gonna see how we go with the free channels, got a card from himself on adverts and it's perfect.
    Being honest I won't miss the other channels at all, we thought about it and realised we barely watched any of the paid ones, the kids are small enough to watch any cartoons and not care anyway, the only thing I will miss is the record function, as I don't always get to watch things when they air, but catch up services online will sort my soaps out, and we download anything that Sky Atlantic has to offer. Also have a chrome cast which is brilliant for Netflix and all4 stuff.

So I think I'd only go back for the ease of recording, probably with the basic pack, but it would have to be a good price, like €10 a month or something.
    I realise you can buy a freesat recording box but I'm not in a position to buy one of those at the moment, and the sky system is very user friendly to be fair.

So I'll wait a few weeks and see how we go, then maybe get in touch to see what they offer

Interesting to note for anyone who may find themselves in a similar situation. I've no subscription anymore and I've got my hands on an expired London Sky Card (white).

Giving me a decent EPG including London Live, a station I've seen a few good shows on before, but so far only muck on it...... Early days though, only been on it less than a week.

Tried to play some of my recordings. With my own card was told can't do it because no subscription.....fair enough, but with this card.... It kinda played in so far as it is playing and the time is moving, but I only get a blue screen

But the Real Bonus.

I seem to be able to use the pause & rewind function. Couldn't do that before. Nice one.

Weird I am thinking..... So let's take this one step further and I just tried to record something there on E4................ It's recording...... But will it play back??

YES IT DOES!

Mad? :confused::o:D:)

update
    i can also download from bbc iplayer, all4, itv.... all the on demand stuff.
    they play
    some ask for pin.... i don't have it, have asked the previous owner.... he can't remember :(

edit...... just took a punt and went with the last 4 digits of the card number, it worked

can't see me ever going back now!!!!!!

Seve OB wrote: »
    update
    i can also download from player, all4, itv.... all the on demand stuff.
    they play
    some ask for pin.... i don't have it, have asked the previous owner.... he can't remember :(

edit...... just took a punt and went with the last 4 digits of the card number, it worked

The UK free to air channels get you pretty excited, huh? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

update
    i can also download from player, all4, itv.... all the on demand stuff.
    they play

I tried downloading from the itv hub using my sky+ magic card. The download is available in the planner but when I try to view it, it asks me to pair the card to the box which I'm very reluctant to do in case sky kill the sky+ features. Would I be foolish to pair it?

Basil3 wrote: »
    The UK free to air channels get you pretty excited, huh? :D

Well I had the full package before and really found I used to watch a load of crap just for the sake of watching something. Very happy to give it all up and maybe get a bit of a life back.

The only thing I was really going to miss was being able to record a few shows that I actually have an interest in so that I could watch them when suited me. I know there are other ways to watch them but I couldn't be arsed with hooking computers up to watch them that way. When I really have to, I have a sky go account I can use.

I'm excited that I can watch what I want, when I want, and save myself over 600 quid a year
    jca wrote: »
    I tried downloading from the itv hub using my sky+ magic card. The download is available in the planner but when I try to view it, it asks me to pair the card to the box which I'm very reluctant to do in case sky kill the sky+ features. Would I be foolish to pair it?

I didn't have to pair mine. Not sure what a sky+ magic card is. The card I got was a normal sky card from an old obsolete sky account in London.

Interesting to note for anyone who may find themselves in a similar situation. I've no subscription anymore and I've got my hands on an expired London Sky Card (white).

Giving me a decent EPG including London Live, a station I've seen a few good shows on before, but so far only muck on it...... Early days though, only been on it less than a week.

Tried to play some of my recordings. With my own card was told can't do it because no subscription.....fair enough, but with this card.... It kinda played in so far as it is playing and the time is moving, but I only get a blue screen

But the Real Bonus.

I seem to be able to use the pause & rewind function. Couldn't do that before. Nice one.

Weird I am thinking..... So let's take this one step further and I just tried to record something there on E4................ It's recording...... But will it play back??

YES IT DOES!

Mad? :confused::o:D:)

Is that one of the cards from the guy on adverts?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Due to be cut off in 2 days. I also had that half price for 6mths on a 12mth contract offer on the sky service app, but it disappeared about a week or more ago, I wouldn't have accepted it anyway.

We are gonna see how we go with the free channels, got a card from himself on adverts and it's perfect.
    Being honest I won't miss the other channels at all, we thought about it and realised we barely watched any of the paid ones, the kids are small enough to watch any cartoons and not care anyway, the only thing I will miss is the record function, as I don't always get to watch things when they air, but catch up services online will sort my soaps out, and we download anything that Sky Atlantic has to offer. Also have a chrome cast which is brilliant for Netflix and all4 stuff.

So I think I'd only go back for the ease of recording, probably with the basic pack, but it would have to be a good price, like €10 a month or something.
    I realise you can buy a freesat recording box but I'm not in a position to buy one of those at the moment, and the sky system is very user friendly to be fair.

So I'll wait a few weeks and see how we go, then maybe get in touch to see what they offer

Your man on Adverts can supply recordable cards as well:D

• Advertisement

That's the card I have. Very handy it's a pity the irish channels aren't on it. Frustratingly I can download from the itv hub using the card but can't play the recording, it asks me to pair the card with the box.... not a chance in case it kills the card.

From what I gather not available often though.

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Is that one of the cards from the guy on adverts?

No. Friend in London had an old one. Gas thing is, it wouldn't record for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

The recording cards will now only work on the oldest Sky+ HD boxes. That guy recently sold me an old model box in order to keep using the free recording card and it works perfectly. A software update by Sky last year prevented the free recording cards from working in all the newer boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

The recording cards will now only work on the oldest Sky+ HD boxes. That guy recently sold me an old model box in order to keep using the free recording card and it works perfectly. A software update by Sky last year prevented the free recording cards from working in all the newer boxes.

Do you know what model numbers those boxes are?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

Sorry not sure, I think they have to be the old Thompson boxes. I tried to look up my old PM's but no luck yet on smartphone. The card seller guy knows it was him who rightly advised me. Box cost €50 delivered

I'm using my UK recording card on an Amstrad box that I have since 2010. I think its a drx890, it uses the plug in adaptor for wi-fi, it isn't the more fancy internal wi-fi box. The card is working perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Sorry not sure, I think they have to be the old Thompson boxes. I tried to look up my old PM's but no luck yet on smartphone. The card seller guy knows it was him who rightly advised me. Box cost €50 delivered

I'm using mine on a fairly new box less than two years old.

I'm using mine on a fairly new box less than two years old.

Same here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭hairypigeon

lads i need a bundle with sky

fibre, sky variety(optional) and a phone line(alarm system dont ask).

my only other alternative is eir and they're pretty crap from what i hear

what are people getting out of them at the mo

I have been quoted €75e p/m for 9 months followed by €95 for 3 on a 12 month contract

Advertisement