Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

To be fair, I think it was about 9 months. They kept ringing me though and I kept telling them to feck off. But eventually I gave in because they offered it to me for 6 months free, and after that 19.50 for the other 6 months. No contract. So I cancelled after the 6 months free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Can I ask what your price goes up to after 6 months? Also it is just the basic phone your on? Would be looking for a similar package.

Latest bill

My subscriptions 28 Dec - 27 Jan
    A month in advance

Variety HD - including discounts

Variety HD €54.00

Subscriptions - €34.00

Total €20.00

Sky Connect Unlimited - including discounts

Sky Connect Unlimited €20.00

Broadband Subscription - €20.00

Total €0.00
    Sky Talk €30.00

Free items

Sky+ Subscription
    Sky Talk Freetime
    Caller Display

Total €50.00

i think this would cost €104 without any discounts.

broadband €20 +phone €30 + variety €39 +hd €15

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

€100 cashback ended Jan 8th. I was remotely considering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kranbo

Rang 2 days ago to cancel Sports (had some hassle getting through to them and they rang me back). The rep I talked to offered to deduce my subscription by 35%? from €99 to €72 for 10 months (12 month contact), Happy enough with the offer and I accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

kranbo wrote: »
    Rang 2 days ago to cancel Sports (had some hassle getting through to them and they rang me back). The rep I talked to offered to deduce my subscription by 35%? from €99 to €72 for 10 months (12 month contact), Happy enough with the offer and I accepted
    Average enough sorta offer but I would have flatly refused to agree on any contract as you are not obliged to enter into any contract unless you changed some aspect or other of your subscription.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

muffler wrote: »
    Average enough sorta offer but I would have flatly refused to agree on any contract as you are not obliged to enter into any contract unless you changed some aspect or other of your subscription.

Really

I would have thought that a redux in fees and the agreement to take the service at the new agreed price was a new contract.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Really

I would have thought that a redux in fees and the agreement to take the service at the new agreed price was a new contract.

As far as I am aware the only time you have to sign up to a new contract is when you take a service for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

15% off Full pack for 9mths with no new contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

lycan238 wrote: »
    As far as I am aware the only time you have to sign up to a new contract is when you take a service for the first time.

Some offers carry a new contract. I'd you don't like the contract, don't take the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Avada wrote: »
    Some offers carry a new contract. I'd you don't like the contract, don't take the offer.
    I think you need to expand a little on that. The initial contract is for 12 months and once that is over there is no more contracts unless the customer decides to opt for HD or multiscreen which will result in another 12 month contract but thats it.

In the case above those "add ons" werent mentioned so the person was lied to. yes, lied to and it isnt the first time I have come across this on this forum, the satellite forum and the Sky talk to forum. Add to that the fact that I was subjected to a blatant lie being told to me by a Sky rep.

naturally at the end of the day it is up to the person concerned if they wish to accept an offer or not but they shouldnt be told porkies just to get them into a new contract. I know where I would be going with this but hats me and not everyone is aware of their statutory rights in these situations.

• Advertisement

I think you need to expand a little on that. The initial contract is for 12 months and once that is over there is no more contracts unless the customer decides to opt for HD or multiscreen which will result in another 12 month contract but thats it.

In the case above those "add ons" werent mentioned so the person was lied to. yes, lied to and it isnt the first time I have come across this on this forum, the satellite forum and the Sky talk to forum. Add to that the fact that I was subjected to a blatant lie being told to me by a Sky rep.

naturally at the end of the day it is up to the person concerned if they wish to accept an offer or not but they shouldnt be told porkies just to get them into a new contract. I know where I would be going with this but hats me and not everyone is aware of their statutory rights in these situations.

Offers can carry a new contract. And once the customer is told that the offer carries a new contract and agrees to this, there shouldn't be a problem. Generally they don't, but I have seen some retention offers that do re-contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

i have hd at the moment, on a six month deal.

i was very clear with the rep that i didn't want a contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

You're spot on there. When I first signed up in 2009 I took out variety +multiroom which commenced my 12 month contract. About 6 months into the contract I added HD as they had a 3 months free offer on at the time, this committed me to a new contract which was explained to me. Fast forward to 2012 when I knew I was definitely clear of any contracts I started haggling thanks to boards. In one of the deals I got HD for €7.50 for 6 months which I took, when I went to cancel(haggle) they told me I couldn't leave as I was still in contract.. I argued and argued with the rep but gave up in the end. They can be very sneaky and do tell lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

blowin3 wrote: »
    Today I was offered variety tv pack,HD and broadband unlimited for 40.65 for first 10 months and it will go up to 96.00 for the last 2 months. I can't figure if its a good deal or not.
    Today I phoned to cancel my plan as I am out of contract at the end of the month. They told me I had to pay 96e not 40e for the above package which I turned down as I now have decided to buy my own receiver . I told her I would keep my broad band and she told me she would be charging me 50e per month. Than I got an cancelation email saying the service would finish on the 13/2 and billed me 140e. I pay in advance and I tried to cancel on the first of January so as far as i am concerned I paid up till the 25/1 (my billing period) and I don't need them after that so they can jump for the 140e.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

new deal, new contract. I don't see the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

Seve OB wrote: »
    new deal, new contract. I don't see the issue.

You will if you want to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Today I phoned to cancel my plan as I am out of contract at the end of the month. They told me I had to pay 96e not 40e for the above package which I turned down as I now have decided to buy my own receiver . I told her I would keep my broad band and she told me she would be charging me 50e per month. Than I got an cancelation email saying the service would finish on the 13/2 and billed me 140e. I pay in advance and I tried to cancel on the first of January so as far as i am concerned I paid up till the 25/1 (my billing period) and I don't need them after that so they can jump for the 140e.

Make sure you tell your bank that you have cancelled as from 25/01/16 so that the can make the necessary adjustment;).

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭pj12332

I finished on say 1st of december. Gave notice at end of October. They actually told me I would have to pay for the month of January as well LOLOLOL. I laughed at him on the phone and said you wont be charging me for anything. He said its normal procedure and ill be refunded within 90 days!!! LOL I went to the bank after my payment came out for the final month and and told them to cancel the direct debit and under no circumstances to pay sky anything else. Sky actually owed me money as i downgraded which was the hilarious thing. needless to say they never got the money. I cannot understand for the life of me what are trying to pull. Oh and I got my 20 back too! Tell them to f*ck off thats what I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

They offered me half price on the variety yesterday. 19.50 Got cut off on Tues. Turned it down. Happy enough with the free channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Have the full tv package, sports, movies and HD. Offered roughly 25% off for 9 months, no contract. Anyone gotten a better offer recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

No good if you have sports or movies already. As usual with sky nothing for existing customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Currently paying 104 euro per month for:

Variety TV
    Sky Multiroom
    Broadband

Rang today to cancel as my contract for all of the above finishes one month today and the best they could do was 70 a month for 9 months and back to 104 for the other 3 months. The TV would not be in contract but the broadband would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Variety TV
    Sky Multiroom
    Broadband

Rang today to cancel as my contract for all of the above finishes one month today and the best they could do was 70 a month for 9 months and back to 104 for the other 3 months. The TV would not be in contract but the broadband would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

MuddyDog wrote: »

Variety TV
    Sky Multiroom
    Broadband

I'd ring them back and cancel. I have variety, BB and HD\boxsets and got this deal when i told them i was leaving that i couldn't afford it.

Tilly wrote: »
    I'd ring them back and cancel. I have variety, BB and HD\boxsets and got this deal when i told them i was leaving that i couldn't afford it.

Muddydog either has Sky Fibre or Sky connect broadband (your top prices are different), so they're not going to get the same deal as you. Also, deals change on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I currently have Variety with Sports & Movies and HD for €100.50 per month.

Inspired by this thread, I called up to renegotiate my package as I'm out of contract. Disappointing offer to be honest. I was offered a reduction of €10 per month from the Sports and Movies package for 12 months (no new contract) and that was it.

I'm going to try again in the next few days to see if I can better that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Inspired by this thread, I called up to renegotiate my package as I'm out of contract. Disappointing offer to be honest. I was offered a reduction of €10 per month from the Sports and Movies package for 12 months (no new contract) and that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

besty wrote: »

You have to go ahead and say cancel it before they will give any decent offer.
    You should get half price for 6 months

• Advertisement

besty wrote: »

Don't use the word renegotiate or anything similar. The only people who have offers are cancellations/retention. They can only use those offers if you say cancel (they can actually get a disciplinary if they use them without you saying you wish to cancel).

Advertisement