Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

What about folks who just want the sports and / or movies?
    Sky force them into taking the basic packages too at a cost.
    You can't purchase a single channel or group of channels, you have to take packages most of which you've probably no interest in or can pick up for free through freesat or saorview.
    As for charging 15 euro per month for HD? They'll never justify that.

Eh?

They do a basic pack for 29.50 or one with premium kids, euro sport and some crap documentary channels that repeat the same ones over and over again. Why would you want to add any of that? None of the channels they add are AFIAK freeview - Sky has always been base sub + freeview + premiums. Change the base sub the others dont change. You're not forced into anything. If you just want freeview have sky for a year then cancel it and have all the work done for you.

€15 for HD - Netflix is now 9/10 quit for a similar service with no infrastructure. Sky work off a satellite infrastructure which is expensive to (presumably) lease. Probably based on the 'no one in Ireland actually wants to pay the advertised price' model, I think the number of people paying €15 for HD is probably quite limited. Again, I don't remember the family being locked in the bathroom or a gun put to my head when I took out the Sky Subscription, but maybe I just blocked it out.

EDIT: Fair enough I see your point on the Sports. However to get kit you need to watch sports you'd need a compatible receiver. It's much easier to keep people on their own kit. Now if we're being totally fair and conceding your point to a degree, look at it from Sky's point of view. They don't lock you in if you come back at full price and you can come back for X months while your sport of choice is on. So I'm sorry still not seeing them as a bunch of bar-stewards; running a business not a charity perhaps but they're hardly gouging people, especially as Sky direct is but one way of getting Sky TV, Eir/Virgin being the other two.

Again just to prove I'm not a total fanboi, on movies; surely no one wants to subscribe to that overpriced nonsense on it's own?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

What about folks who just want the sports and / or movies?
    Sky force them into taking the basic packages too at a cost.
    You can't purchase a single channel or group of channels, you have to take packages most of which you've probably no interest in or can pick up for free through freesat or saorview.
    As for charging 15 euro per month for HD? They'll never justify that.
    Have to agree with that. For example Sky market its sports pack at a cost of €36 (*approx) but in reality it should clearly say €68 (*approx) as you cant have it as a stand alone pack. It would be great if we could just choose a sport or movies pack on its own without having to pay for channels that are mostly free anyhow via Saorview, Freeview or Free to Air.

That said I also find it a tad annoying to the point of boring where I see people posting childish comments such as $ky or Sly or referring to them as robbing bastards. That says more about them than it does about Sky.

People subscribe to Sky purely on a voluntary basis and are therefore accountable for their own actions. Sky is a luxury but an optional luxury so for anyone who wants to moan about it then they shouldn't subscribe in the first instance.

* Im not sure of the exact figure since the last price increase.

€29.50+37.50+15 (€83 but I'm very hung over) if you're looking for Sport in HD. To be utterly fair here that's a lot if all you want is sport looking better (or as good) as an illegal stream and I have to admit I've more sympathy with the above posters than I did last year.

Happy new year all.

but I'm very hung over
    Ditto :o

Happy New year also to everyone here........even the begrudgers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

lycan238 wrote: »
    I was turned off just before Christmas and have the box unplugged and paced away. Its in a safe place just in case they ring with a good offer to me.

Why? You know you can still pick up loads of stations on it even without subscription

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

€29.50+37.50+15 (€83 but I'm very hung over) if you're looking for Sport in HD. To be utterly fair here that's a lot if all you want is sport looking better (or as good) as an illegal stream and I have to admit I've more sympathy with the above posters than I did last year.

Happy new year all.

That's precisely it. It's a lot to watch what's more or less a single channel legally. I only follow one team and one sport but if I want to stay in line with the law, it'll cost in excess of 100 per month (after adding setanta too to get another handful of games) for the privilege. Even then I won't get every game as some aren't televised. I'd rather a season package for every game my team plays and no other content but there's no a la carte option. In a restaurant I'm only charged for the food I order, not everything on the menu.

It's no wonder this is a popular thread with everyone looking for a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭dorito92

any offers for new customers? im looking for half price for a year on the vairety bundle but all the offers seem to be for current customers

dorito92 wrote: »
    any offers for new customers? im looking for half price for a year on the vairety bundle but all the offers seem to be for current customers

Sky never look after their new customers :pac:

Try carphonewarehouse.

dorito92 wrote: »
    30% off and €100 cashback - linky

The full price is €39 per month or €468 per year. You get it for €27.30 per month which is €327.60 per year then take off the €100 cashback and that brings it down to €227.60 per year which is the equivalent of €18.96 a month and that is as near as you'll get to half price.

Factoring in the €30 set up cost would equate to a total €21.46 per month

edited to reflect actual costs

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

muffler wrote: »
    30% off and €100 cashback - linky

The full price is €39 per month or €468 per year. You get it for €29.30 per month which is €351.60 per year then take off the €100 cashback and that brings it down to €251.60 per year which is the equivalent of €20.96 a month and that is as near as you'll get to half price.

Actually says €27.30 on web site but then there's also a set-up fee of €30. Not a bad offer.....think I'll sign up :)

• Advertisement

SmallBalls wrote: »
    Actually says €27.30 on web site but then there's also a set-up fee of €30. Not a bad offer.....think I'll sign up :)
    Cheers. I've edited my post above to take into account the correct figures :)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭pj12332

I am happy to stream everything after my experience with Sky and also the ridiculous prices. I also bought chromecast for 29 euro before xmas. The best purchase I have ever done. Literally every single movie you want streamed in hd from your phone to the tv... Why would you bother with sky movies???

Anyone is mad to be paying them prices. As for the sports they are harder to get in good quality but if you look you will find them. Sky are a disgrace with their prices. I was a customer for 4 years paying nearly 100 euro. I got some prick on the phone when I was looking for a deal saying the best he could do for everything was 108 euro a month..... yes 108 euro a month. 20 more than I was paying at the time and my contract was up that month. He literally would not pass me through to anyone else. On the phone for 1 and a half hours (i got them to call me as I expected trouble) and he was literally like a child. I thought it was a wind up, I really did. Then the next day I am told I could have gotten a better deal than what he was saying. They give me a price and its still nearly double what new customers would be paying if they signed up with sky so I laughed and said I am still leaving and ill sign back up as a new customer to get a good deal. The guy has the cheek to tell me I cant do that for 6 months after I leave. I laughed again and said if you want to play that game Ill get my girlfriend to take out the contract instead and I asked him what he could do about that. He said nothing. I laughed and hung up.

Now heres where it gets good... They then contacted me to tell me that my cancellation had gone through and my 30 days notice was fine but because I was cancelling that i would have to pay for 68 euro for the following month and it would be refunded to me within 90 days.... Like my sky would be gone but I have to pay another month that I have no sky tv... I promptly cancelled the direct debit and instructed the bank to under no circumstances pay out money to them. I was then contacted and told that I was never meant to be charged 68 euro... no sh*t.... and i was due a refund of 20 euro. Now if you are as confused as I am you can see why I will never EVER deal with them again. It is like a lottery with their customer service. You could get a great guy one day and the next day you would get an absolute clown. Ill never know how I got so unlucky to get through to the clowns I did.

They can honestly go and shove it up their arse. 4000 euro I reckon I gave them over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

My sky was due to be cancelled shortly and I got an offer on the sky service app. 50% off for 6 months with a year contract. Chanced my arm and rang them to say it was 50% for 12months and they gave half price hd too so I have variety movies and hd for €41. Happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

Do you get the same offers in the Sky App as you might do on their website when you sign into My Sky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I'm thinking of calling sky to give them notice.

Currently paying them 60 odd a month, hd, multiroom and I think kids channels (no movie's or sports)

I am contemplating giving eir a shout they're offering a similar package including calls and broadband for 30 odd euro. Its an introductory offer for 6months.

As I have my landline with Vodafone (42 a month) it seems logical to me.

My question is if anyone here is with eir, and how do they find the service, channel line up etc?

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm thinking of calling sky to give them notice.

Currently paying them 60 odd a month, hd, multiroom and I think kids channels (no movie's or sports)

I am contemplating giving eir a shout they're offering a similar package including calls and broadband for 30 odd euro. Its an introductory offer for 6months.

As I have my landline with Vodafone (42 a month) it seems logical to me.

My question is if anyone here is with eir, and how do they find the service, channel line up etc?

Ta

I switched to eircom earlier in the year and it was rubbish by comparison

- The box frequently complained that it wasn't connected to the registered broadband (it was) leaving me with no TV. A few reboots were needed before it sorted itself out. It also tended to run very hot

- The EPG is crap and useless as any sort of planner. Navigation is slow and un-intuitive

- Picture quality isn't great either

- eircom's support is infamous already of course but I had numerous billing issues, channels not added/removed when requested etc

My 2c anyway... In short I told them to cancel the TV and phone (who needs a landline these days anyway?) and kept the fibre for €30 a month for the next 4 months (after which it goes to €45). I then negotiated the basics with Sky (pretty much everything except kids channels and premium stuff like sports and movies) for €15 with no contract for 12 months.

That'll do me. :)

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I switched to eircom earlier in the year and it was rubbish by comparison

- The box frequently complained that it wasn't connected to the registered broadband (it was) leaving me with no TV. A few reboots were needed before it sorted itself out. It also tended to run very hot

- The EPG is crap and useless as any sort of planner. Navigation is slow and un-intuitive

- Picture quality isn't great either

- eircom's support is infamous already of course but I had numerous billing issues, channels not added/removed when requested etc

My 2c anyway... In short I told them to cancel the TV and phone (who needs a landline these days anyway?) and kept the fibre for €30 a month for the next 4 months (after which it goes to €45). I then negotiated the basics with Sky (pretty much everything except kids channels and premium stuff like sports and movies) for €15 with no contract for 12 months.

That'll do me. :)

Lol.... Enough said. Think I'll stick it out where I am so (though sky don't need to know that)

Maybe see if I can get a decent deal out of them for threatening to cancel.

Has their broadband improved does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

do sky have an option if i just want rte and use the box for bbc also
    any deal on likes that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Lol.... Enough said. Think I'll stick it out where I am so (though sky don't need to know that)

Maybe see if I can get a decent deal out of them for threatening to cancel.

Has their broadband improved does anyone know?

It's essentially the same Broadband as Vodafone or Eir. I'd try and haggle a deal out of vf on your BB though. Bundling rarely works out cheaper in the long run.

The "fantastic" deal sky offered me to stop me leaving was reducing my current package from €69 pm to €55 to be kept as is.

When reading through this thread and seeing folk get half price for a year etc its not exactly great now, is it?

I told the lady to hold her offer as I'd get back to her.

Might have to go nuclear on them and just tell them to proceed to cancellation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

Today I was offered variety tv pack,HD and broadband unlimited for 40.65 for first 10 months and it will go up to 96.00 for the last 2 months. I can't figure if its a good deal or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

blowin3 wrote: »
    Today I was offered variety tv pack,HD and broadband unlimited for 40.65 for first 10 months and it will go up to 96.00 for the last 2 months. I can't figure if its a good deal or not.

thats similar to what im on , averages out at €50p/m . I get phone calls as well and i think its a great deal.

you'll probably be getting broadband anyway so you're only paying very little extra for the tv .

GY A1 wrote: »
    do sky have an option if i just want rte and use the box for bbc also
    any deal on likes that

no , sky has no option like that.

it would probably work out cheaper to get an aerial put up and use saorview for irish stations and keep your sat dish for fta english stations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

blowin3 wrote: »
    It will average out at just under 50 pm over the 12 months for tv and broadband, can any other provider beat that?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Tradnuts

I've got Broadband and basic Tv from sky.
    Paying 69 euro at the moment.
    Just rang them and told me i was a loyal customer etc etc....
    They had a 'special' offer for me, and offered to reduce my total from 69 to 59.
    I told them to go ahead and cancel anyways.
    On their website they are offering Broadband and Basic TV for 49!

Turns out my 'special' offer was special after all.
    10 euro more!

Tradnuts wrote: »
    I've got Broadband and basic Tv from sky.
    Paying 69 euro at the moment.
    Just rang them and told me i was a loyal customer etc etc....
    They had a 'special' offer for me, and offered to reduce my total from 69 to 59.
    I told them to go ahead and cancel anyways.
    On their website they are offering Broadband and Basic TV for 49!

Turns out my 'special' offer was special after all.
    10 euro more!

see post 3965

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Rang to cancel today we are paying full price for sports/movies and 1 multi room ,,with phone and broadband ,,€136 l think in total.

Was offered 15% off the tv package,declined and it was no problem ok you will be cut off in 31 days.

Will ring back in 30 days and see if they offer anything better .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

donegal. wrote: »
    see post 3965

Can I ask what your price goes up to after 6 months? Also it is just the basic phone your on? Would be looking for a similar package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

I rang to cancel in December. I had it free for 6 months. So I'm due to be cut off next week I think. They rang me twice already but I didn't wait to see what they were offering. Might just stay on the call next time to see what they come up with. Im not really bothered either way though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

I rang to cancel in December. I had it free for 6 months. So I'm due to be cut off next week I think. They rang me twice already but I didn't wait to see what they were offering. Might just stay on the call next time to see what they come up with. Im not really bothered either way though.

were u cut off long when they gave u 6 months free

Advertisement